4.5 from 3,400 reviews

Mattresses Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of mattress would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

2.0

Not as good as I expected

Purchased the mattress about a month ago to replace a 9-10 year old mattress. Mattress is very firm and the lower back issues I had are still present and may be getting worse, sometimes takes 10-25 minutes to get comfortable and get to sleep.

If the mattress was a bit softer I feel like it would be better in terms of fit for me, I will likely give it another few weeks but I have the 100 day trial, at this stage may look at returning it.

Purchased in June 2020 at Koala for A$890.00.

Alicia

AliciaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Terrible mattress!

I purchased this mattress in April 2019 for use in our spare room so it has been used only a handful of times in the last year for guests.
I have recently had to start sleeping on it full time and it is the worst mattress I have ever slept on. I have developed really bad back and neck pain (no pre-existing issues) and I wake constantly during the night due to discomfort. I have been sleeping on it for a month now with no improvement.
The mattress feels really uneven - like it slants in and also down. Does not feel like my body is lying flat at all. It also feels very hard.
This is really disappointing as I cannot afford to replace it and living with a lot of discomfort.

Purchased in April 2019 for A$900.00.

Sleeping PositionFront
Unhappy T

Unhappy T

Only buy it if you love a very firm mattress

It’s as firm as the day we got it, however it is absolutely rock hard and if you’re not someone who likes the firmest mattress available, I would avoid it

Purchased in July 2019 at Koala Living Online Store for A$950.00.

F U Viagogo

F U ViagogoPerth, WA

Very firm, we shouldn't have changed

We needed a new bed and all the Koala reviews were great, however the base is a delight and was really easy to assemble but the mattress has hurt my neck and has been awful to sleep on. I have never had prior neck or back issues but have had the bed for 5 weeks and have been to the chiro twice. It is very firm and like lying on a towel placed on medium grade carpet.
Base is a winner, mattress- keep your old one. Would not recommend.
Also when I left a review on the Koala website they only posted the 5 star review for the bed base and did not post the 2 star review for the mattress, so do not be fooled by all the websites positive reviews.

Purchased in April 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for A$1,000.00.

Sleeping PositionFront
Jemma K.

Jemma K.Sydney, NSW

Seems to get harder over time

We decided to try this out given the generous 120 day return policy and I was fine with the firmness in the beginning, however for the last month or so I have woken up feeling like I have slept on a plank of wood with a sore back and neck. I feel like it is getting firmer over time. Wishing i had sent back after the trial period

Purchased in February 2020 for A$1,000.00.

Sleeping PositionFront and Side
Gerry

GerryGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Don’t believe the reviews

Purchased in May 2020 for A$900.00.

MirandaSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

No good for smaller builds

Purchased in September 2019.

Miranda

Thanks for your response! I’ll try anything!!

• King

HORRIBLE! not to mention terrible customer service.

We bought our mattress about a month ago, we sleep on it for 2 weeks and hated it, it was rock hard with rolled off edges. Agreed to return it, what a rock show!! very unclear instructions on how to return it as we live remotely and 8 hours away from any return warehouse, after a lot of back and forth we were told that we had to pay for the return freight of the mattress which was $235!!!!! why should we have to pay to return your terrible product. DO NOT BUY!!

Purchased in April 2020 for A$1,100.00.

Hollie
Hollie

I have already been through this discussion with the koala team. We have already sent the mattress back at our own expensive.

AriGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Bit disappointed

I was very excited to finally get a new queen mattress after sleeping on a king single for years. I looked at a number of different mattresses but the overall consensus was that Koala is the best for my price range. When it first arrived, I found it much harder than what I was used to. I looked up reviews and saw people explain that after some time, I will get used to it. It's been around 8-9 months now and I can still say that I finding it really firm, to the point where many nights I struggle to fall asleep. I've even occasionally gone back to my old mattress. I wish i did something about it sooner. As many love this mattress, I'm not saying it is a bad mattress, but I just don't feel that it's for me.

Purchased in August 2019.

Caused Discomfort No
Ari

Oh wow, that is very generous of you. Will definitely get in touch. Thanks so much!

Find out how Koala Mattress compares to other Mattresses

Take your mattress and don’t give your money back

Not only is the mattress incredibly poor quality but but good luck getting your money back. I have repeatedly emailed and called to chase this and still not received our funds. They’ve taken back our mattress and I still don’t have our refund. Terrible customer service and a product who’s success is based on pure marketing.

Melanie H.

Melanie H.South East Queensland, QLD

Perfect for my partner, pain for me

We bought the Koala queen after seeing so many positive reviews and their 120 nights trial. When first laying on it it seems comfortable and soft, but after sleeping all night the first night, I had terrible back pain to the point of not wanting to even move. We are about a month into having our koala now, my partner sleeps perfectly but I am still tossing and turning and having terrible back pains, where before on our old bed I would sleep soundly throughout the night with mild discomfort in the morning due to the age and wear of the mattress. They have lessen after I stopped using my weighted blanket, but now I find myself seeking out our spare bed in the middle of the night.

Purchased in April 2020 for A$894.00.

Sleeping PositionBack, Front and Side
Aaron

AaronGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

3 years on and it's no better

I brought this mattress in 2017, it was uncomfortable from the start but I thought I'd give it a good try, three months later of purchase it got worse with sagging.. the amount of deep dents in it is bad for my back. I tried a mattress support cover and this didn't help. I'm now spending extra to get my back fixed from the damage this mattress has caused, I just brought a new mattress and it's not koala. Also this mattress is to hot even in winter, would not wish this upon anyone

Purchased in April 2017 for A$800.00.

Sleeping PositionBack, Front and Side
Carly F

Carly FIllawarra, NSW

Way too firm

Mattress is only a few months old and way to hard and is contributing to a huge amount of back pain for both my partner and I. Very difficult to get a good nights sleep.

Purchased in December 2019.

braedenMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Too firm.. way to firm ...

Koala mattress is like sleeping on a layer of bricks.
So so firm :(
I would not recommend buying one of these mattresses at all. I'll be ringing up for a refund Monday ...

Purchased in March 2020 for A$1,062.00.

braeden

Maybe you should have the option to add a soft topper when at purchase... Might save the disappointment.

braeden

Ordered a new topper, will see how it goes

Will C.

Will C.Sydney, NSW

Do not buy if big and tall

- partner and I are between 6ft1 and 6ft6
- both over 100kgs
- side sleepers, never gonna change that
- constantly sore upper back after sleeping on the mattress for more than 3 hours
- had the bed for 2 months
- deceivable after all the clever SEM marketing
- we both massage each other after sleeping which is nice but don't have the time to every day of the week
- If you are slight person or couple you will likely not have these issues.
- Never had these issues before koala mattress

Do not buy this bed if you are a big person aka more than 100kgs

Purchased in January 2020 at Gumtree for A$1,000.00.

Gengarl

Not suitable for side sleepers. Big hole appeared after 1.5 years of use.

Good things about koala: delivery time was fast, easy online purchase experience. The mattress feels good when laying in your BACK.

The bad: I am a side sleeper (176cm tall 88 kg weight) and after 1.5 years with the mattress a big hole formed in my side about 7 cm deep. Also sleeping on it has caused me a lot of shoulder pain, the foam does not accomodate to your body, it has become very hard to sleep on it. I had to buy a mattress topper to soften it. The warranty claim form says they will get back to you after 2 business days, it has been 4 days without anyone reaching to me.

Edit: After claiming the warranty and getting a new mattress I have to say the customer service is excellent is a shame the product is not that good.

Purchased in November 2017 for A$900.00.

Order #3469489

Debbie Gee

Debbie GeeGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

The opposite of a good physio

Purchased in February 2019.

KoalaSouth Australia

Koala matress

We are finding this matteress a bit too firm however we are pleased with our purchase thus far apart the firmness of it. Koala matteress company have assured me that they will send a free topper and we are hoping this will rectify that problem

Purchased in September 2019.

Caused Discomfort No
Koala S.Koala

Hi there, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at support@koala.com should you need further assistance.

Disappointed!

Very disappointed as I found the mattress to be way too hard and very uncomfortable. It seems hot too and it gives off a very strong toxic smell which is still there after two weeks.
The mattress sits quite low and seems quite cheap feeling. I now think its a bit of a rip off compared to other mattresses.
Its a hassle to shop for a new one and return the Koala but theres no way I can sleep on it.

Purchased in October 2019 for A$1,150.00.

Side sleepers beware

Firstly, the customer service at Koala is fantastic. Delivery was fast. The live chat option on the website is convenient and the team is really helpful with any questions. The return process so far has been very easy, with the mattress being picked up this week.

Unfortunately, the bed however, is rock hard. I'm relatively small framed and sleep on my side and it has caused my shoulder and back pain to be worse :(. It also really retains heat.

My advice, make sure you are suited to a firm bed, otherwise you will have problems.

Purchased in October 2019.

Frequently Asked Questions about Koala Mattress

Do I need to turn or rotate my Koala Mattress?

Like any mattress, it is important that you rotate the Koala Mattress from head to foot on a regular basis throughout its life to help create more even settling of the comfort layers and dispersal of weight throughout the entire product.

This is especially important within the first few months of use. The Koala Mattress has been designed so you don’t need to flip or turn it over as part of regular maintenance.

Is there a weight limit to using a Koala Mattress?

The mattress has been tested with several weighted dummies, up to 240 kg (530 lbs), and is suitable for most, if not all body types.

Why do I feel hot when using a Koala Mattress?

A foam-based mattress warms up more in comparison to conventional, spring-based mattresses after some use. Koala recommends changing the fabric type of your bed sheet or fitted sheet if you feel warm.

Do I need a bed base with a Koala Mattress?

A Koala Mattress works with any bed base type, including slat and ensemble bases. Koala recommends that you do not use your mattress directly on the floor for hygienic reasons.

Latest Consumer Questions

Nataliek

Nataliekasked

Koala Mattress

Do these mattresses limit transfer of movement. My Partner has restless leg syndrome and I am looking for a product that will limit how much of the movement I feel On the other side.

All

Allasked

Koala Mattress

We have had the Koala mattress for a month and have just noticed mould growing underneath. We have spot cleaned the cover and the mattress. Do you think the mould will have penetrated into the mattress? i.e. is it beyond repair?

Amy
Amy

Hi! This has just happened to us too! We have the koala base and mattress and noticed an odd smell. Pulled the mattress off and the base is mouldy and the mattress cover mouldy too. Luckily not through to the inner foam but it could be there and just not visible to naked eye. Shocking! Never happened with our previous mattress (springs) and base (slats), so I'm thinking it's a design fault - not enough air flow.

Alisi F
Alisi F

I’ve noticed a similar issue. Have spot cleaned my mattress and also doesn’t seem too entrenched, but having only had this mattress for 5 months, not feeling great about this development!

Tania
Tania

I have had the same problem too, Ive tried wiping it down letting it air dry, but it seems to return again.

Jyoti Bala

Jyoti Balaasked

Koala Mattress

Can I use electric blanket on it ?

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives