4.5 from 3,398 reviews

Mattresses Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of mattress would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

3.8

Luna

Luna

Underwhelming mattress. Good customer service.

Purchased in June 2020 for A$900.00.

Michelle

MichelleSydney, NSW

Sagging and body shaped indents within one year

Purchased in January 2019 at Koala Living Online Store for A$975.00.

Adjustment PeriodWeeks
Sim

SimSydney, NSW

If you have a sore lower back, this is not the mattress for you.

I had a latex mattress for about 7 years, slatted base and cost over $4,000. After the years went on it started to sag and both my husband and I had terrible nights sleep. We then purchased a Koala mattress and it was good for about two months -(I assume compared to our previous mattress). The back aches started again. This may all be because of me, the the mattress was way too hard, you cannot sink into it at all. So if you like to sink a bit this is not the mattress for you. We did not send back, as I kept hoping that I would grow into it, but unfortunately I did not. We wasted the opportunity of 120 nights free trial.
Overall rating is too hard, but that may suit a lot of people.

Purchased in September 2019 for A$1,050.00.

Samantha W.

Samantha W.South East Queensland, QLD

Best sleep ever

My Shoulder pain has gone. I sleep better. I also purchased the base and love the support. Raved about it to my friends and five of my friends have purchased one and also my dog loves it too.

Purchased in March 2020.

Sleeping PositionBack and Side

Better Sleep

We are able to turn over easily and don't notice each other when we turn separetly.
We both have siatica which has improved. My husband had kneck pain which has eased.
Have only had mattress a short time, surprised with the difference in our sleep already, especially my husband.
I find it easy to make as it is light to lift when i tuck sheets in. It is firm and comfortable and quite deep.
We highly recommend this bed.

Purchased in July 2020 at Online for A$900.00.

Weigh under 85kg? Koala=terrible mattress for you

Average Aus male = 85kg / average aus female = 71kg. The Koala mattress firmness is designed for the ‘average Australian’. If you weigh under the average, you will experience pain. Mattress Returned after 5 nights sleep.

Purchased in July 2020 for A$1,000.00.

Adjustment PeriodWeeks

To early to tell

I have slept on the Koala for 14 nights now and and as yet have not unfortunately slept right through.

It is slightly on the hard side for me, but given the fact we have 120 nights to try out the Koala mattress I truly believe its worth giving a go as you have nothing to lose with the Koala money back guarantee.

The service thus far has been outstanding, very easy to order and delivery was quick and efficient, the Koala mattress arrived in a box and within five minutes I'd put it on my bed on my own, simple!!!

The quality of the mattress seems excellent I'm really hoping in time it'll be the best sleeping mattress for me.

Thank you Koala for the opportunity to try your product.

Purchased in July 2020 at Koala Online Store for A$900.00.

Kyle

KyleRichmond-Tweed, NSW

My daughter loves this product and she also loves the idea of adopting a Koala they are an essential part of our Country

It is simple and simplicity is Gold in this instance my daughter sleeps better than ever on her new mattress and the peace of mind knowing that she is helping one of her most beloved little creatures the Koala it’s a great thing as they need all the support they can get especially after the devastation with the bushfires! Thanks team Koala’

Purchased in June 2020 for A$620.00.

VickyH

VickyHMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Best nights sleep ever!

This mattress is really supportive. Before having a Koala mattress I used to wake up every morning with a headache, but since having the Koala I’ve had the best nights sleep and wake up energised, without a headache. I would definitely recommend this mattress.

Purchased in June 2020 at Koala .

Stephen

StephenSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great product and awesome service

The Koala mattress has improved my sons ability to sleep and no longer wakes up multiple times during the night. The mattress is firm but he is very happy with it and it suits his requirements very nicely. He has since purchased pillows that he is equally delighted with. The delivery process was quick and easy also. Koala is on a winning formula with their products, delivery and customer service. If this is the future of Australian small business bring it on!

Purchased in June 2020.

Carm

CarmGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Early days but very happy

Nearly 3 weeks of sleeping on my mattress and no waking up With an aching back and neck, no headaches. Mattress is firm but comfortable. Very happy with my mattress so far.

Purchased in June 2020.

Sia J.

Sia J.Sydney, NSW

Great new mattress love it!

Only had my new mattress for one week now & it’s great for my back no soreness when I wake up love the firmness, hopefully it lasts for a long time.

Purchased in June 2020 for A$892.50.

Sleeping PositionBack, Front and Side
Teresa D.

Teresa D.Sydney, NSW

Support Australia buy Australian made - Koala mattress was my only choice after comparing others.

I am super pleased with the mattress I purchased from Koala, the services was second to none, I had a concern my mattress was a little on the firm side, Koala was more than eager to offer me a complementary mattress topper to better the feel and comfort of my new Queen mattress experience... I am so pleased I was able to support local and chose Australian made mattress. 10 out of 10 Happy days! :)

Purchased in June 2020 at manufacturers for A$830.00.

Cassie J.

Cassie J.Southwest, VIC

Very disappointed

Read lots of reviews before purchasing this mattress but unfortunately these have not matched our experience. Our mattress has developed large people sized dints where we sleep that make moving in bed very difficult. My partner and I have also developed back and hip issues since getting this mattress that we've never had before. It has lead to us sleeping in our spare room more often than not because when we sleep in the koala bed we wake up in pain. We've had the mattress for about 18 months and we are already going to have to replace it, which is not something we can easily afford to do. I feel very let down by this experience.

Purchased in November 2018 for A$1,200.00.

Timothy Matthew C.

Timothy Matthew C.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Best mattress ever!

The mattress is great, it's firm which is exactly what we were looking for however some people may not like that. Overall it has been a great experience with Koala!

Purchased in May 2020 for A$850.00.

S. Martinelli

S. MartinelliGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Sagging issues.

We bought this mattress just over 12 months ago, sagging started to show within month after buying it and we were told that a bit of sagging was normal, but it just continues to get worse and unfortunately it cannot be returned anymore. You can even notice the sagging when the bed has been made, so its quite obvious. We have been rotating the mattress but we cannot flip it because it is not made the same way on the bottom of the mattress. (by the way my husband and i would probably be considered "light" - both under 70kg)

Purchased in April 2019 for A$1,000.00.

Sleeping PositionBack and Side
Stuart S

Stuart SGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Brought it 11 months ago, deeply regret it

Bought this 11 months ago and while the whole experience started well, I now have to throw it out. The mattress loses its shape and gets deep body shaped holes in it. It has to be turned constantly. I would expect this from a cheap, foam mattress. Highly regret buying it and want to warn others from falling into the same trap

Purchased in August 2019 at Koala Living Online Store for A$1,200.00.

Andy

AndyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

The mattress has a big dip after just 10 months!

I bought a Koala mattress in February 2019. It was great at first, but, some months ago, a large dip developed. Also, the zip on the mattress protector broke just after I bought it. The mattress protector is also really difficult to get on and off, so its hard to wash it regularly. I don't recommend this mattress - spend a bit more and go for quality. I'll probably need to get rid of it in six months.

Purchased in February 2019 at Koala Living Showrooms VIC for A$1,100.00.

Leah

LeahMurray Mallee, SA

Less hip pain!

The bed is comfortable. It is very firm. I have had less hip pain on the new mattress which is great. It is warmer as well. We didn't put the electric blanket on and its been ok. I feel like the mattress resets itself every day so its like getting into a new mattress every night. Both hubby and I have slept better because we are not disturbing each other as much with movement.

Purchased in May 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for A$950.00.

Rochelle

RochelleSydney, NSW

Uncomfortable Mattress... Worse Customer Service!

We ordered a mattress from Koala - it was like sleeping on a piece of foam. We gave it the 100 days to see if we could wear it in and give it the benefit of the doubt, however we decided to return this. The return process was Horrendous. Still actually waiting on our return over a month later. Emails take approximately 7 days to respond to. They promise they will have a solution by a certain date and that date passes and hear nothing, not even an email or phone call. Will not recommend or ever, ever purchase from them again. Poor product but worst customer service I have received.

Purchased in January 2020.

Frequently Asked Questions about Koala Mattress

Do I need to turn or rotate my Koala Mattress?

Like any mattress, it is important that you rotate the Koala Mattress from head to foot on a regular basis throughout its life to help create more even settling of the comfort layers and dispersal of weight throughout the entire product.

This is especially important within the first few months of use. The Koala Mattress has been designed so you don’t need to flip or turn it over as part of regular maintenance.

Is there a weight limit to using a Koala Mattress?

The mattress has been tested with several weighted dummies, up to 240 kg (530 lbs), and is suitable for most, if not all body types.

Why do I feel hot when using a Koala Mattress?

A foam-based mattress warms up more in comparison to conventional, spring-based mattresses after some use. Koala recommends changing the fabric type of your bed sheet or fitted sheet if you feel warm.

Do I need a bed base with a Koala Mattress?

A Koala Mattress works with any bed base type, including slat and ensemble bases. Koala recommends that you do not use your mattress directly on the floor for hygienic reasons.

Latest Consumer Questions

Nataliek

Nataliekasked

Koala Mattress

Do these mattresses limit transfer of movement. My Partner has restless leg syndrome and I am looking for a product that will limit how much of the movement I feel On the other side.

All

Allasked

Koala Mattress

We have had the Koala mattress for a month and have just noticed mould growing underneath. We have spot cleaned the cover and the mattress. Do you think the mould will have penetrated into the mattress? i.e. is it beyond repair?

Amy
Amy

Hi! This has just happened to us too! We have the koala base and mattress and noticed an odd smell. Pulled the mattress off and the base is mouldy and the mattress cover mouldy too. Luckily not through to the inner foam but it could be there and just not visible to naked eye. Shocking! Never happened with our previous mattress (springs) and base (slats), so I'm thinking it's a design fault - not enough air flow.

Alisi F
Alisi F

I’ve noticed a similar issue. Have spot cleaned my mattress and also doesn’t seem too entrenched, but having only had this mattress for 5 months, not feeling great about this development!

Tania
Tania

I have had the same problem too, Ive tried wiping it down letting it air dry, but it seems to return again.

Jyoti Bala

Jyoti Balaasked

Koala Mattress

Can I use electric blanket on it ?

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives