4.5 from 3,400 reviews

Mattresses Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of mattress would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

3.6

My understanding of a good nights sleep has changed.

My wife and I have found the last two weeks on the Koala to be very comfortable and supportive and that there has been no notable change in in the mattress in this time.
It is early days, but we’ve both noticed improved quality of sleep and I’ve personally noticed a markable increase in dreams. That can only be good right?
I also notice I spend a lot more time sleeping on my back now.

Purchased in July 2020 at Koala Online Store for A$975.00.

Sleeping PositionBack and Front
Perceived Firmness Soft

I love my mattress it is so soft and comfy. I finally can say I don't wake up with a sore back anymore.

it is soft and firm at the same time if that makes sense. we have had the mattress and pillows for a few months now and I defiantly wouldn't be going back any time soon I love love love them.

Purchased in May 2020 at Koala Living.

Marcus

MarcusGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

All good so far

The 4 hour delivery turned out to be 2 working days later (ordered on Thursday morning, delivered Monday)
Mattress is doing well and I have no back pain, I am 100kg so I am waiting to see if there is any “sag” in it after a month or so?
But at the moment I am sleeping well.

Purchased in June 2020.

Sleeping PositionFront

Henry and Pearl

Henry and PearlSouth East Queensland, QLD

My wife and I sleep very well now.

Our mattress is very comfortable and supportive. I have back problems and our mattress has helped me wake up feeling better and relieved. My wife and I sleep in now, she use to wake up early and I'd wake up with no relief from back pain, now we love going to bed and resting comfortably.
Our mattress is maintaining it's shape so far.

Purchased in July 2020 at Koala Online Store for A$1,000.00.

Phuong H.

Phuong H.Sydney, NSW

Great mattress but it didn't hold up well

I've own a queen sized Koala mattress for over 3 years now and it sadly hasn't aged well. It was great at first, very comfortable and worked as advertised but we noticed that after time it got softer, especially closer the edges. This was one of my more expensive mattress purchases so I was disappointed that I couldn't use it for longer. Now I get a sore back and hips most nights. We are looking for a replacement now and since there doesn't seem to be any damage to the mattress as specified on the Koala website, we likely will have to ate the bullet and just get something new and throw this mattress away.

Purchased in July 2017 for A$950.00.

Really disappointed

Koala mattress gets customers to write reviews shortly after purchasing and before their mattresses fails or they start feeling neck and back pain. We have had ours for 5 months and my partner and I wake with sore lower backs everyday! Don’t fall for their slick marketing campaign and the quick delivery. Check how many reviews come from people who have owned it more than 6 months, really disappointed. They are sending us a hard topper for free as they refuse to refund as its 20 days past trial period which we did understand we were intitled to as we werent in Melbourne metro area!

Purchased in February 2020.

Adjustment PeriodMonths
Joy C.

Joy C.Darling Downs, QLD

Most comfortable sleep I have had for years, fair dinkum.

I have had back, knee and hip problems for years as a result of being a pedestrian hit by a bus on a zebra crossing. My sleep is usually disturbed by constant turning over to relieve pressure. With your mattress I have no pain. How did you do it? Temperatures here can get down to less than zero regularly in winter. Now I don't want to get out of bed in the morning. With my Koala and feather Doona life is beautiful and comfortable. Go to bed with your koala and hug some comfort.

Purchased in June 2020 at Koala Living Showrooms QLD, Logan Supercentre for A$722.00.

Brad

BradSouth East Queensland, QLD

I regret buying a Koala Mattress

I bought a king koala mattress through a recommendation unfortunately I regret the decision and will advise people to consider buying something that will last.
The mattress is less the a year old and has large indents where my partner and I lay, we have tried rotation of the mattress but that does nothing.
I have also been dealing with back and hip pain who the physio thinks could be caused from the mattress. From reading other reviews the indents in the mattress seems like a common issue so it would appear to be a fault with the mattress. I weigh 78kg and my partner is less than 70 kg so pretty average weights you'd think the mattress would last longer than a year. Looks like I wasted my money buying a koala mattress.

Purchased for A$900.00.

Avoid at all costs

We had our first koala for around 11 months,. There was deep sagging body prints up to 11mm and woke up with headaches, and feeling like we had been hit by a truck. After arguing with koala to get a warranty replacement and yet nearly 12 months later we have the same issues and severe back pain. The koala has been sent to the tip and we couldnt wait to see the back of it.
We have just switched to a A H Beard mattress which was by far the best thing we have done..... Finally a decent sleep.

Purchased in February 2018.

Simon
Simon

Jesse

JesseSydney, NSW

Couldn't imagine a better mattress

Quality of sleep has improved - I wake up less during the night.
I no longer get dead arm from sleeping with my arm under my pillow
Mattress is durable - no sagging yet!

Purchased for A$800.00.

Sleeping PositionFront
Lozz

LozzGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Disappointed

Mattress is too short. Based upon Measurements on website. Was told there were laser cut issues. Koala said they would replace Mattress but can’t guarantee new one would be correct sizing either. Also not better then an average mattress.

Purchased in March 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for A$850.00.

Sleeping PositionFront and Side
Adjustment PeriodWeeks
Brittany L.

Brittany L.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Started off great and then became not so great

Hubby bought the mattress early last year. It started off really great but now, it's horrible. It has sagged where we sleep, even though we rotate the mattress, since the sagging has gotten worse, hubby and I wake up stiff, sore, and with headaches from tossing and turning all night. It was great for the first 6-8 months but now it's not. We would love to buy a new mattress from the common retail chain stores, but unfortunately it's not currently affordable. Wouldn't recommend koala mattress if you're after long term support

Purchased in February 2019 for A$1,050.00.

Vikki M

Vikki MMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

I love my Koala Mattress

I was skeptical of a bed in a box, but after researching all options I decided to buy the Koala. Being boxed, I could unpack on my bedframe and took minutes without any struggle.
Having an old back injury, I get sore hips and back and tend to regularly turn over. I always choose firm mattresses and my koala feels firm yet soft at the same time, great support.
It took a few nights to adjust to it, but since then I absolutely love it, no more aches and pains and I sleep better than I have in years.
I have had it 6 months and it's like new. It surpassed the expectations I had, very happy with my purchase.

Purchased in November 2019 at Koala Online Store for A$800.00.

Amy J.

Amy J.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

3 year review

Bought this mattress due to the raving reviews in 2017 and it was great for the initial 6-8 months. After this point I noticed a dent and sagging in the middle where I would normally sleep and since then it’s only gotten worse (definitely not good for my back). Sharing the bed is a big no as both people will just roll into the middle. After reading the warranty policy it states that the depression in the mattress needs to be more than 2.5 cm, which I do believe mine exceeds. At this point I don’t think I’d even want to get a replacement from them because I know already it won’t last. Invest in your mattresses people!!!!!

Purchased in April 2017 for A$800.00.

NiaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Can live without it.

purchased the mattress in April 2019 and in the first 6 months of use did notice a change in the firmness and felt that it was sagging in the areas that was most slept in. We had no prior neck/back issues but since we made the switch we've had many sleepless nights as we're still not adjusting to it. We reached out to customer service in October 2019 for warranty claim but it was just impossible to take a picture with two weights and try proof the problem. But was unfortunately rejected. We gave up and suck it up.

Purchased in April 2019 for A$900.00.

Hi Phil!

Hows things? thought i'd message you cause it's been 2 weeks since I last heard from you. Hope you are doing well.

Mars80

Mars80Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Sooo Comfy!!

Defintly the best mattress I've ever brought & over the next few years every bed i own will have one. We will also be getting the Sofa Bed once the kids are older. I loved the mattress so much that the next day i purchased the pillows.

Purchased in April 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for A$892.50.

Taylor

TaylorSouth East Queensland, QLD

Buyer Beware

Had this mattress for just over 2 years now. My partner and I still feel each other move about each night. Not as advertised. Left a review on their website (which wasn’t published unsurprisingly). Warranty claims are a nightmare. Impossible to deal with (they want photos of a manufacturing default that is only noticeable when moving about on the mattress). I’m sticking with the Sealy’s

Purchased in April 2018 for A$900.00.

Adjustment PeriodMonths
Wayne

Wayne

Decent but not great

This is a decent mattress but the claims about minimal partner disturbance aren't quite right. That and it being too hot are the main reasons I've decided to get rid of it after 6 months.

Koala S.Koala

Oh no! Sorry to hear Wayne. Please email us at support@koala.com if you need assistance :)

Tony virtanen

Tony virtanenGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Has improved my sleep

My body has noticed a good difference .The mattress shape so far is good .
Quilty of sleep is excellent.
Don’t wake up as stiff as I did with the older mattress .

Purchased in January 2020 for A$640.00.

Nadia GantSouth East Queensland, QLD

Is not durable

We have had our Koala mattress for 2.5 years and I’m disappointed to report it has been showing signs of indentations and loss of shape for quite a few months.

Both my husband and I are waking up with stiff necks and jaws and my husband is now getting pins and needles in his hands. We have tried multiple different pillows hoping that would be a solution.

Purchased in July 2017 for A$1,000.00.

Hey there Nadia
We are so sorry to hear you are having some issues with your mattress. If you wanted to get in touch with us at support@koala.com, we might be able to help sort out a warranty claim for you.

Ok thank you

Frequently Asked Questions about Koala Mattress

Do I need to turn or rotate my Koala Mattress?

Like any mattress, it is important that you rotate the Koala Mattress from head to foot on a regular basis throughout its life to help create more even settling of the comfort layers and dispersal of weight throughout the entire product.

This is especially important within the first few months of use. The Koala Mattress has been designed so you don’t need to flip or turn it over as part of regular maintenance.

Is there a weight limit to using a Koala Mattress?

The mattress has been tested with several weighted dummies, up to 240 kg (530 lbs), and is suitable for most, if not all body types.

Why do I feel hot when using a Koala Mattress?

A foam-based mattress warms up more in comparison to conventional, spring-based mattresses after some use. Koala recommends changing the fabric type of your bed sheet or fitted sheet if you feel warm.

Do I need a bed base with a Koala Mattress?

A Koala Mattress works with any bed base type, including slat and ensemble bases. Koala recommends that you do not use your mattress directly on the floor for hygienic reasons.

Latest Consumer Questions

Nataliek

Nataliekasked

Koala Mattress

Do these mattresses limit transfer of movement. My Partner has restless leg syndrome and I am looking for a product that will limit how much of the movement I feel On the other side.

All

Allasked

Koala Mattress

We have had the Koala mattress for a month and have just noticed mould growing underneath. We have spot cleaned the cover and the mattress. Do you think the mould will have penetrated into the mattress? i.e. is it beyond repair?

Amy
Amy

Hi! This has just happened to us too! We have the koala base and mattress and noticed an odd smell. Pulled the mattress off and the base is mouldy and the mattress cover mouldy too. Luckily not through to the inner foam but it could be there and just not visible to naked eye. Shocking! Never happened with our previous mattress (springs) and base (slats), so I'm thinking it's a design fault - not enough air flow.

Alisi F
Alisi F

I’ve noticed a similar issue. Have spot cleaned my mattress and also doesn’t seem too entrenched, but having only had this mattress for 5 months, not feeling great about this development!

Tania
Tania

I have had the same problem too, Ive tried wiping it down letting it air dry, but it seems to return again.

Jyoti Bala

Jyoti Balaasked

Koala Mattress

Can I use electric blanket on it ?

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives