Mattress Buying Guide

Read now

2.2

Okay product, great customer service

Ordering process and delivery was easy, fast and reliable. Mattress doesn't gass out too much initially, which is nice.
The mattress is very soft. That's of course subjective. The sides are too soft and its easy to slide off or roll off the edges.
The mattress DOES SAG. Do not believe fancy marketing slogans. It does sink in and sag. Eventually ended up returning the mattress after 80 days. Return process was easy and without any concerns. Refund came in same day. Excellent customer service.

Purchased in September 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for A$850.00.

Sleeping PositionFront and Side
Gabrielle B.Koala
kate

kateGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Worth it!

I have had my mattress since Jan 2020, still feels just as comfortable. It was a very good investment and worth the money. I have been recommending koala mattress'evet since.

Purchased in January 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for A$850.00.

Mrinalla

Mrinallamelbourne

It's far from perfect

The mattress is on the soft side for me but that's not the issue. There are 2 major problems with the matters.
1. It's hot - you sweat like a rotisserie chicken in the oven.
2. No side support - when your trying to find a cool corner, don't you dare go to the side. You will be sleeping on the floor.

They also say free return, but they don't make it easy. I would suggest you keep all packaging unless you have passed the 120 free say trial.

Purchased in June 2020 for A$850.00.

Harlie

HarlieGiralang 2617, ACT

Very Average Mattress + Poor Customer Service

Purchased in May 2020 for A$900.00.

Sleeping PositionBack

Terrible Mattress

My partner and I purchased a king size koala mattress just under 2 years ago and i am sorry to say but the quality is absolutely terrible.

Not only is there a massive dent in the mattress that wont rebound like Koals horrible customer service team think happens magically, it is the most uncomfortable mattress i have ever used and now my physiotherapist has told me that the mattress is to blame for my bad back.

The mattress is only good for a year.

Purchased in June 2018 for A$1,200.00.

Sleeping PositionBack
Adjustment PeriodWeeks
KoalaKoala

Left a bad review less than 2 weeks ago, and I haven't heard anything back from their team on next steps. Disappointed.

Purchased for A$950.00.

Sleeping PositionBack and Side
Maria F.

Maria F.Central Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Worst mattress

Worst mattress. No back support at all, its saggy and soft. Made my back pain worse. I tried to return it, however they wanted me to fold it in half which is impossible. Tried to replace it atleast, but they made the process so hard, as they want a ton of pictures. Wouldn't recommend this mattress to anyone.

Purchased in September 2019 for A$900.00.

sophie ferg

sophie fergSydney, NSW

BEST MATTRESS EVER

Amazing to sleep in, no more lower back pain. Can't feel my partner rolling over in the night. Have recommended to everyone!! So soft!!!! Definitely my favourite mattress ever to date

Purchased in March 2020 at Koala Living Showrooms.

Sleeping PositionBack, Front and Side

Greg

Greg

Not great

The matress has gone soft.
You roll into the hollow.
I have turned it around and over.
I would not buy another one of these ever.
Disappointing to say the least.
This is far more than needs to be said but it requires so many words

Purchased in June 2018.

Lee

LeeMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Absolute Garbage and a scam.

Purchased in July 2019 for A$1,200.00.

Sleeping PositionBack, Front and Side

Getting used to it

Seems very comfortable however it's so different from what I'm used to that it may take a bit more time to adjust. Cant say about longevity - only had it 2 weeks.
The koala toy is cute but unnecessary land fill by the way.

Purchased in January 2020 for A$807.50.

Koala S.Koala

Glad to know you like it Lucia!

It started sagging after only 6 months. My back is aching every morning.

So disappointed with the lack of firmness. I loved it at first but didn't take long to sag. It's not designed to flip either. My back started to ache every morning and I can't get comfortable unless my husband is up and I can climb up onto the firm part in the middle of the bed.

Purchased in August 2018 for A$1,200.00.

Koala S.Koala

Hey Nicole, if you email support@koala.com we can sort it out for you

Mark Opitz

Mark OpitzGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Does not last 2 years

In the first year it was amazing. We have had it about 2-2.5 years and the foam is spent. Sore back, bad sleep. I have to replace it as there are 2 major dory shaped dents now. Many visits to the physio for neck and back pain and it was hard to identify the issue because the deterioration of the mattress is so gradual. Customers beware.

Purchased in September 2017 for A$1,400.00.

Koala S.Koala

Hello Mark, we are so sorry to hear and we are here to help you. Could you please send us a quick email at support@koala.com together with your order number and we will get back to you asap.

Shiv S.

Shiv S.Sydney, NSW

Too soft

Amazing 4 hours delivery. However the mattress is too soft for me, especially since I am a front sleeper. And feels like you are sleeping on a foam. This mattress will be going back

Purchased for A$800.00.

Sleeping PositionFront
Koala S.Koala

Hi there Shiv. We have emailed you on Nov 8th - let us know if you haven't received it? We would love to help!

Mazzie_Star

Mazzie_StarSydney, NSW

Mattress no good but company fantastic - top notch customer service!!

Fantastic company despite mattress not working out. Mattress is one foam piece and was too soft. Purchased for an older person and it was too difficult for them to roll over. It’s hard to give this review because the mattress was absolutely terrible for someone needing back support. However it was the most pleasant experience dealing with the customer support. I could not believe how easy it was to return this item!! I would give the company a 5- star review because they were friendly and punctual both with initial delivery and the return & refund process. We were truly disappointed that the mattress was not adequate for our needs. A great company.

Purchased in August 2017 at Koala.

Sleeping PositionBack and Side

Impressed

ImpressedSydney, NSW

Started sagging after 18 months

Brilliant for the first 12 months then the mattress started sagging really badly. After 18 months we may as well throw the mattress out. I now wake up with lower back pain in the morning. Not impressed.

Purchased in May 2017.

Perceived FirmnessVery Soft

This mattress was worth buying

The mattress is very comfortable and it's durable. Didn't have back pain while sleeping on the koala mattress and the quality of sleep which I get using this mattress is unbelievable

Purchased in May 2019.

Koala S.Koala

Thanks for your review, Aastha!

Lachlie

LachlieGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Really regret spending the money...

Purchased in February 2018 for A$950.00.

irena a

irena aSydney, NSW

Great for the spare/guest room but not durable

Mattress was great for about a year but lost it shape and support now. We bought it in 2017. We were so impressed when we first got it that we bought another one but regretted it. They are an ok solution for the spare/guest room but not durable for every day use.

Their customer service was great when we purchased the product. Our then 5 year old was very happy with a little plush Koala toy and a certificate of adoption which she took to show off on her News Day at kindy. In addition, we found a bunch of flowers and a lovely cake at our door and a hand written note from Koala team thanking us for the purchase. Exceptional Customer Experience just wish the product lasted.

Purchased in March 2017 at Koala Living Online Store for A$900.00.

Sleeping PositionFront
Adjustment PeriodWeeks

Frequently Asked Questions about Koala Mattress

Do I need to turn or rotate my Koala Mattress?

Like any mattress, it is important that you rotate the Koala Mattress from head to foot on a regular basis throughout its life to help create more even settling of the comfort layers and dispersal of weight throughout the entire product.

This is especially important within the first few months of use. The Koala Mattress has been designed so you don’t need to flip or turn it over as part of regular maintenance.

Is there a weight limit to using a Koala Mattress?

The mattress has been tested with several weighted dummies, up to 240 kg (530 lbs), and is suitable for most, if not all body types.

Why do I feel hot when using a Koala Mattress?

A foam-based mattress warms up more in comparison to conventional, spring-based mattresses after some use. Koala recommends changing the fabric type of your bed sheet or fitted sheet if you feel warm.

Do I need a bed base with a Koala Mattress?

A Koala Mattress works with any bed base type, including slat and ensemble bases. Koala recommends that you do not use your mattress directly on the floor for hygienic reasons.

Latest Consumer Questions

Tess A.asked

Koala Mattress

Our Queen size koala mattress bought two years has sagging on both sides on the mattress, is there any way we can fix this as my husband has injured his back and is having trouble attaining any for of comfort?

G'day Tess,

You and your husband both deserve to be feeling your comfiest any night, let alone when battling a back injury too. Our 10 Year Warranty won't stand to see you with a sagging mattress and we'd love to see that we get you a supportive sleep as soon as possible! If you can please reach out to our Customer Care team on  1800 575 337 or email us at support@koala.com, we'd love to get a replacement out to you both and see you back to being as comfy as can be.

Tess A.

Thank you for your reply I will email the support team, Regards Tess A.

Mac.C

Mac.Casked

HI,
I received my koala mattress 6 months ago now and i'm not sure if its a coincidence or not but it developed yellow staining and various odors, and ever since then i have developed a skin issue (Psorisis) that i have never had before and cannot find a reason why. Has anyone else had a similar experience to this?

Gabrielle B.Koala

G'day Mac,

This sounds uncomfortable and frustrating to sound the least mate, no matter how unusual or bizarre it is, thank you so much for reaching out and we'd love to get to the bottom of this situation! You definitely shouldn't be experiencing something less than comfy and our team is here for you if you would like to look into this more with us?

If you can please reach out to us on 1800 575 337 or email us at support@koala.com and we'll be happy to help and investigate this further!

Alex B.
Alex B.

Hi Mac, I had yellow staining with my kid's mattress about a year back. The original Koala mattress protector just turned yellow in several areas after multiple washes. I contacted Koala support and they shipped a new mattress cover free of charge.

Michelle

Michelleasked

Koala Mattress

Greetings from Sunny Melbourne. The search for a new King mattress has led me to Koala so far. The one thing that has persuaded me is the fact that you pick up and re cycle old mattresses. Given the situation in Melbourne Metro atm, do you have any idea how long the pick up process will take? Short or room and I really dont want a king size mattress in the hall way for to long. Many thanks

Lara
Lara

i don't work for them but under their help section on their website is this "In selected areas of Sydney and Melbourne we've partnered with Soft Landing, a mattress recycling social enterprise, to remove and recycle your old mattress for FREE.

Once you've ordered your koala mattress, we'll send you the details to book your mattress pick up through Soft Landing. Get your koala mattress now."

G'day Michelle,

Hope you're enjoying that super sunny spring morning in Melbs! Let's get this sorted :) We can absolutely work with you and our partners Soft Landings to time this so that it's easy-peasy and swift as can be! For the best and most accurate advice on booking your old mattys collection, please reach out to the Soft Landings team here https://www.softlanding.com.au/contact-us/ for their ETA to your address.

From there, we'd love to book in your new mattress and make sure it arrives on just the right day! You'll be able to choose the delivery window that suits you best when you place your order, or please reach out to our Customer Care team on 1800 575 337 or email us at support@koala.com and we'll be happy to help you out or answer any more questions you have too :)

The Koala Dream Team

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives

Koala have been one of the major players in the boxed-mattress industry since it first began gaining traction in Australia. There are thousands of reviews on this page, so we've taken a cut of the most recent reviews and done a deep dive into the data from them. We'll use these reviews to answer some of the most pertinent questions regarding the Koala mattress.

The segment of reviews we have taken data from is comprised of 230 reviews published between Feb 6th and Aug 23rd 2019. At the time of writing, this represents roughly 8% of the total number of Koala Mattress reviews.

Is the Koala Mattress good value for money?

Our reviewers have given the Koala Mattress and average rating of 4.2 for Value for Money, which is very positive. Even a number of reviewers who gave an overall negative score still stated that the Koala represented good value for money.

Suitability for those with neck or back issues.

Of the 230 users surveyed, 94 stated they had pre-existing neck or back issues. Of these people, 85 of them (90.4%) said that their Koala mattress did not caused further discomfort.

Sleeping Hot

If you hate waking up during the night feeling too hot, this might be the mattress for you. 94 reviewers said they felt the mattress did not retain heat, compared with 39 who said it did (97 people did not respond to this question).

Sagging

In general, we found that the longer someone had owned their mattress, the more likely they were to complain about their mattress sagging. While only 35 reviewers said their mattress sagged, these people had owned their mattress for an average of 449 nights (just under 15 months), as compared to the 156 reviewers who had not noticed any sagging, who had on average owned their mattress for 79 nights (about 2.5 months).

How does it feel to sleep on?

Most reviewers agree with Koala's own assessment of their mattress as being of "Medium" firmness. You can see a breakdown below:

Perceived FirmnessNumber of Respondents
Very Soft4
Soft23
Medium127
Hard34
Very Hard7

Sleeping Position

There wasn't a significant difference between Front, Back, or Side sleepers - they all rated the mattress pretty positively. Note: reviewers were able to select more than one preferred position.

Sleeping PositionAverage RatingNumber of Respondents
Front4.323
Back4.062
Side4.2158

Longevity

Most people don't want to replace their mattress every year. Ethical consumption is becoming an increasing factor in purchasing decisions, and people expect their mattress to last. While 71% people indicated it only took a few days for them to adjust to their new mattress (as opposed to weeks or months), we did see a correlation between length of ownership and increased rates of dissatisfaction with the product. In general, reviewers who gave a lower rating were more likely to have owned the mattress for longer than the 120-night trial period. The 49 reviewers outside this trial period gave an average rating of 2.4 stars, while 176 reviewers still inside the trial period rated the mattress 4.6 stars.

The 29 reviewers who gave a 1-star rating had owned the mattress for an average of 14 months, while the 153 reviewers who gave 5 stars had owned the mattress for an average of 9 weeks.

Wrapping Up

While reviewers rate the Koala as great bang for your buck, and it seems like your bad back won't be any worse off for sleeping on it, we did notice that many positive reviews come from users who have owned the mattress for around 2 months. However, Koala do offer a limited 10 year warranty that covers physical flaws and visible indentation due to normal use, in addition to their standard 120-night trial period. As always, have a read through the reviews, and if you have any questions, you can post them in our Q&A area and a Koala representative or a helpful member of our community will get back to you.

Compare all 5 Koala Mattress
CategoryMattressesMattressesMattressesMattresses
Price (RRP) A$750.00A$850.00A$950.00A$1,050.00
Type HD Polyurethane FoamHD Polyurethane FoamHD Polyurethane FoamHD Polyurethane Foam
FirmnessMedium FirmMedium FirmMedium FirmMedium Firm
SizeSingleKing SingleDoubleQueen
Thickness23 cm23 cm23 cm23 cm
Country of ManufactureAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustralia
Manufacturer Warranty10 year(s)10 year(s)10 year(s)10 year(s)
Compare all 5 Koala Mattress