4.5 from 3,400 reviews

Mattresses Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of mattress would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

2.0

John

JohnMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

good delivery time, but poor customer service experience. Mattress is now unsleepable on.

good delivery time, but poor customer service experience. Over 6 emails and phone calls to organise a mattress topper. Complained about mattress being uncomfortable and lumpy just after the 120 night trial and was told unless it's defective via photos they want nothing to do with it. Mattress is now unsleepable on.

Sleeping PositionFront and Side
Luna

Luna

Underwhelming mattress. Good customer service.

Purchased in June 2020 for A$900.00.

Michelle

MichelleSydney, NSW

Sagging and body shaped indents within one year

Purchased in January 2019 at Koala Living Online Store for A$975.00.

Sleeping PositionBack
Adjustment PeriodWeeks

Sim

SimSydney, NSW

If you have a sore lower back, this is not the mattress for you.

I had a latex mattress for about 7 years, slatted base and cost over $4,000. After the years went on it started to sag and both my husband and I had terrible nights sleep. We then purchased a Koala mattress and it was good for about two months -(I assume compared to our previous mattress). The back aches started again. This may all be because of me, the the mattress was way too hard, you cannot sink into it at all. So if you like to sink a bit this is not the mattress for you. We did not send back, as I kept hoping that I would grow into it, but unfortunately I did not. We wasted the opportunity of 120 nights free trial.
Overall rating is too hard, but that may suit a lot of people.

Purchased in September 2019 for A$1,050.00.

Tash D

Tash DSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good for the first 9 months...

At around the 9 month mark I noticed I wasn't sleeping as well as I used to and was waking up sore. Once I took the mattress cover off there was a very visible dent in the mattress! The warranty claim process was relatively easy though. I wouldn't recommend this mattress for longevity!

Purchased in April 2019 for A$900.00.

Rach

RachSydney Surrounds, NSW

Not completely sold on koala mattress

Not completely sold. mattress is shorter then our old king spring mattress, we now have a 7cm gap up the top or bottom you can see the slats. I've woken most mornings with low back pain since owning the koala mattress which is just over 4weeks, all i seem do is toss and turn all night. I've given it a go but I'm thinking its not for me.

On a positive note ordering and delivery were amazimg so simple and fast, i love that it's australian made and you get a cute cuddle koala with your order

Purchased in June 2020.

Weigh under 85kg? Koala=terrible mattress for you

Average Aus male = 85kg / average aus female = 71kg. The Koala mattress firmness is designed for the ‘average Australian’. If you weigh under the average, you will experience pain. Mattress Returned after 5 nights sleep.

Purchased in July 2020 for A$1,000.00.

Adjustment PeriodWeeks
Josh

JoshMid North Coast, NSW

Rubbish, but got a full refund!

Purchased back in 2018 so had it a bit over 2 years.
Was reasonably comfortable for a few months. Of course, just after the 120 night trial, we noticed body impressions forming. Note I'm 75kg and partner is approx 65kg so not heavy.
Ended up putting up with it for another yer and a half approx, but recently applied for a refund and received a full refund with only 20mm of sag.
Very happy with the easy refund (thus 2 stars) but doesn't say much for the quality of the product... very cheap foam. I've since done thorough research which indicates any mattress with polyurethane foam will sag within a few years.
Moral of the story.... Do your research, look at the low star comments as they're usually longer term reviews.

Purchased in February 2018 for A$1,050.00.

Really disappointed

Koala mattress gets customers to write reviews shortly after purchasing and before their mattresses fails or they start feeling neck and back pain. We have had ours for 5 months and my partner and I wake with sore lower backs everyday! Don’t fall for their slick marketing campaign and the quick delivery. Check how many reviews come from people who have owned it more than 6 months, really disappointed. They are sending us a hard topper for free as they refuse to refund as its 20 days past trial period which we did understand we were intitled to as we werent in Melbourne metro area!

Purchased in February 2020.

Adjustment PeriodMonths

To early to tell

I have slept on the Koala for 14 nights now and and as yet have not unfortunately slept right through.

It is slightly on the hard side for me, but given the fact we have 120 nights to try out the Koala mattress I truly believe its worth giving a go as you have nothing to lose with the Koala money back guarantee.

The service thus far has been outstanding, very easy to order and delivery was quick and efficient, the Koala mattress arrived in a box and within five minutes I'd put it on my bed on my own, simple!!!

The quality of the mattress seems excellent I'm really hoping in time it'll be the best sleeping mattress for me.

Thank you Koala for the opportunity to try your product.

Purchased in July 2020 at Koala Online Store for A$900.00.

Sleeping PositionBack
Kelvin M.

Kelvin M.South East Queensland, QLD

Unimpressed

I have had back issues for a number of years now.
My last mattress was a 10 year old inner spring. I looked at a number of reviews and because I am a side sleeper koala seemed to be the best choice. I have had the mattress now for around a month. The mattress is hot and does not breathe and my back feels worse. Quality of sleep is no better than a 10 year old spring mattress.

Purchased in July 2020 for A$892.00.

Brad

BradSouth East Queensland, QLD

I regret buying a Koala Mattress

I bought a king koala mattress through a recommendation unfortunately I regret the decision and will advise people to consider buying something that will last.
The mattress is less the a year old and has large indents where my partner and I lay, we have tried rotation of the mattress but that does nothing.
I have also been dealing with back and hip pain who the physio thinks could be caused from the mattress. From reading other reviews the indents in the mattress seems like a common issue so it would appear to be a fault with the mattress. I weigh 78kg and my partner is less than 70 kg so pretty average weights you'd think the mattress would last longer than a year. Looks like I wasted my money buying a koala mattress.

Purchased for A$900.00.

KoalaKoala

Not as good as I expected

Purchased the mattress about a month ago to replace a 9-10 year old mattress. Mattress is very firm and the lower back issues I had are still present and may be getting worse, sometimes takes 10-25 minutes to get comfortable and get to sleep.

If the mattress was a bit softer I feel like it would be better in terms of fit for me, I will likely give it another few weeks but I have the 100 day trial, at this stage may look at returning it.

Purchased in June 2020 at Koala for A$890.00.

Perceived Firmness Very Hard
Praveen

PraveenGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Not recommended for side sleepers

I received the King size mattress couple of weeks back. Me and my partner both are getting this numbness each night. Each night we would woke up with numb hand or numb shoulder. We both are side sleeper, and never faced this issue with any of the mattresses we used in life. There is a 120 nights trial policy, so I feel I am stuck with this mattress. The mattress itself is soft and gives support when you lay down. But every night we are waking up with numbness in our hands and shoulder. After spending above $1000 I did not expect this issue. I purchased the product after reading so many reviews. But this one is not for us :( Sad, we have to stick with the mattress for another few months. Not recommended for side sleepers.

Purchased in June 2020 for A$1,100.00.

KoalaKoala

Mattress doesn’t suit me but can’t fault the service

I researched a lot and was excited to purchase a Koala.. Aussie made is huge for me.
I drive a lot for work and get a sore back so wanted something firm which is what the reviews say.. unfortunately for me it was too soft. Way to soft, I roll into the middle of my side.
Koala did send me a topper to try but unfortunately it didnt work.
I wish I’d got the couches or sofa bed instead as it was either mattress Or couches but couldn’t afford both.
This mattress will either be returned or go to the spare room ...And I’ll be back to the drawing board for a new mattress.
Can not fault customer service.

Purchased in April 2020 for A$900.00.

Sleeping PositionFront

Teresa D.

Teresa D.Sydney, NSW

Support Australia buy Australian made - Koala mattress was my only choice after comparing others.

I am super pleased with the mattress I purchased from Koala, the services was second to none, I had a concern my mattress was a little on the firm side, Koala was more than eager to offer me a complementary mattress topper to better the feel and comfort of my new Queen mattress experience... I am so pleased I was able to support local and chose Australian made mattress. 10 out of 10 Happy days! :)

Purchased in June 2020 at manufacturers for A$830.00.

Cassie J.

Cassie J.Southwest, VIC

Very disappointed

Read lots of reviews before purchasing this mattress but unfortunately these have not matched our experience. Our mattress has developed large people sized dints where we sleep that make moving in bed very difficult. My partner and I have also developed back and hip issues since getting this mattress that we've never had before. It has lead to us sleeping in our spare room more often than not because when we sleep in the koala bed we wake up in pain. We've had the mattress for about 18 months and we are already going to have to replace it, which is not something we can easily afford to do. I feel very let down by this experience.

Purchased in November 2018 for A$1,200.00.

Avoid at all costs

We had our first koala for around 11 months,. There was deep sagging body prints up to 11mm and woke up with headaches, and feeling like we had been hit by a truck. After arguing with koala to get a warranty replacement and yet nearly 12 months later we have the same issues and severe back pain. The koala has been sent to the tip and we couldnt wait to see the back of it.
We have just switched to a A H Beard mattress which was by far the best thing we have done..... Finally a decent sleep.

Purchased in February 2018.

Simon
Simon
Andy

AndyGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

The mattress has a big dip after just 10 months!

I bought a Koala mattress in February 2019. It was great at first, but, some months ago, a large dip developed. Also, the zip on the mattress protector broke just after I bought it. The mattress protector is also really difficult to get on and off, so its hard to wash it regularly. I don't recommend this mattress - spend a bit more and go for quality. I'll probably need to get rid of it in six months.

Purchased in February 2019 at Koala Living Showrooms VIC for A$1,100.00.

Alicia

AliciaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Terrible mattress!

I purchased this mattress in April 2019 for use in our spare room so it has been used only a handful of times in the last year for guests.
I have recently had to start sleeping on it full time and it is the worst mattress I have ever slept on. I have developed really bad back and neck pain (no pre-existing issues) and I wake constantly during the night due to discomfort. I have been sleeping on it for a month now with no improvement.
The mattress feels really uneven - like it slants in and also down. Does not feel like my body is lying flat at all. It also feels very hard.
This is really disappointing as I cannot afford to replace it and living with a lot of discomfort.

Purchased in April 2019 for A$900.00.

Sleeping PositionFront
Perceived Firmness Very Hard

Frequently Asked Questions about Koala Mattress

Do I need to turn or rotate my Koala Mattress?

Like any mattress, it is important that you rotate the Koala Mattress from head to foot on a regular basis throughout its life to help create more even settling of the comfort layers and dispersal of weight throughout the entire product.

This is especially important within the first few months of use. The Koala Mattress has been designed so you don’t need to flip or turn it over as part of regular maintenance.

Is there a weight limit to using a Koala Mattress?

The mattress has been tested with several weighted dummies, up to 240 kg (530 lbs), and is suitable for most, if not all body types.

Why do I feel hot when using a Koala Mattress?

A foam-based mattress warms up more in comparison to conventional, spring-based mattresses after some use. Koala recommends changing the fabric type of your bed sheet or fitted sheet if you feel warm.

Do I need a bed base with a Koala Mattress?

A Koala Mattress works with any bed base type, including slat and ensemble bases. Koala recommends that you do not use your mattress directly on the floor for hygienic reasons.

Latest Consumer Questions

Nataliek

Nataliekasked

Koala Mattress

Do these mattresses limit transfer of movement. My Partner has restless leg syndrome and I am looking for a product that will limit how much of the movement I feel On the other side.

All

Allasked

Koala Mattress

We have had the Koala mattress for a month and have just noticed mould growing underneath. We have spot cleaned the cover and the mattress. Do you think the mould will have penetrated into the mattress? i.e. is it beyond repair?

Amy
Amy

Hi! This has just happened to us too! We have the koala base and mattress and noticed an odd smell. Pulled the mattress off and the base is mouldy and the mattress cover mouldy too. Luckily not through to the inner foam but it could be there and just not visible to naked eye. Shocking! Never happened with our previous mattress (springs) and base (slats), so I'm thinking it's a design fault - not enough air flow.

Alisi F
Alisi F

I’ve noticed a similar issue. Have spot cleaned my mattress and also doesn’t seem too entrenched, but having only had this mattress for 5 months, not feeling great about this development!

Tania
Tania

I have had the same problem too, Ive tried wiping it down letting it air dry, but it seems to return again.

Jyoti Bala

Jyoti Balaasked

Koala Mattress

Can I use electric blanket on it ?

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives