4.5 from 3,400 reviews

Mattresses Buying Guide

Our buying guide will explain which type of mattress would suit you most, how much you can expect to pay for one, and which features are worth looking out for.

3.8

Michelle

MichelleSydney, NSW

Sagging and body shaped indents within one year

Purchased in January 2019 at Koala Living Online Store for A$975.00.

Sleeping PositionBack
Perceived Firmness Hard
Sarah

SarahGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Sleep through the night

Heard about Koala mattresses from a couple of friends but was still a bit dubious about it, still decided to get it as they have up to 120 nights return. 1st couple of weeks didn't notice any difference, but now have had it for about a month and am now sleeping through the night (been years since this happened, would usually wake 2 or 3 times because I was uncomfortable) and falling asleep in a reasonable amount of time regularly (previously has taken hours to get to sleep tossing and turning). They delivered in the time frame they said they would, and the hole process was hassle free.

Purchased in June 2020.

Weigh under 85kg? Koala=terrible mattress for you

Average Aus male = 85kg / average aus female = 71kg. The Koala mattress firmness is designed for the ‘average Australian’. If you weigh under the average, you will experience pain. Mattress Returned after 5 nights sleep.

Purchased in July 2020 for A$1,000.00.

Perceived Firmness Hard

Graeme

GraemeMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Not a bad choice for a mattress

the mattress arrived on time as promised. it did prove to be to firm for my Wife and I. after a week we informed Koala, who immediately offered help and send out a soft mattress topper. it arrived in a few days and fixed the issue for us.

The mattress seems well made and we now find it very comfortable and do get a good night's sleep.

Purchased in June 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for A$1,050.00.

Habiba

HabibaSydney, NSW

High quality and worth the price

Bought a koala mattress queen recommended by two of our friends who have them and are convinced! We couldn’t be so happy and we waited a bit to get a single one for our daughter as it’s a bit pricey! But worth it!! My daughter is so happy to get this mattress and to be sponsoring a real koala as well; which is a real thing especially now..thanks Very much!

Purchased in February 2019 at Koala Living Online Store for A$800.00.

Wasn't sure at first

Purchased in March 2020 for A$600.00.

Lozz

LozzGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Disappointed

Mattress is too short. Based upon Measurements on website. Was told there were laser cut issues. Koala said they would replace Mattress but can’t guarantee new one would be correct sizing either. Also not better then an average mattress.

Purchased in March 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for A$850.00.

Perceived Firmness Soft

Terrible Mattress

My partner and I purchased a king size koala mattress just under 2 years ago and i am sorry to say but the quality is absolutely terrible.

Not only is there a massive dent in the mattress that wont rebound like Koals horrible customer service team think happens magically, it is the most uncomfortable mattress i have ever used and now my physiotherapist has told me that the mattress is to blame for my bad back.

The mattress is only good for a year.

Purchased in June 2018 for A$1,200.00.

Sleeping PositionBack
Perceived Firmness Very Soft
RJ S

RJ SGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

• King

Sagging after a year.

I have a koala mattress. We got it last year. It’s got two sagging outlines of my husband and I even with rotation. Beginning to feel aches and pains and can’t sleep on sides sometimes because my body gets pins and needles. And I am 18 weeks pregnant so it’s hard not to sleep on my side.
I’m shattered because we don’t have a lot of money to just replace the mattress.

Purchased in January 2019.

Sleeping PositionBack, Front and Side

Kaz

KazSouth East Queensland, QLD

great !!

When I first got the mattress there wasn’t much difference , I was still waking up with a sore back and neck. I’m happy to say that has changed tho ...I’m waking up feeling very refreshed every day, someone did tell me to wait a week or two for the mattress to settle and I didn’t believe them ...they were right !

Purchased in May 2020 at On line .... for A$1,950.00.

Brenton

BrentonSydney, NSW

Starts off good and then leads you into a false sense of security

So initially I was using a ZZZ mattress with pocket springs and found that wasn't supportive enough so read up on Koala and decided to give it a go...

Started off good but then a few months later I started to notice that I was waking up sore all over and especially my lower back.. less then 8 months of use with an average frame I would expect the bed to not make me feel worse!

Purchased in October 2019 at Koala for A$800.00.

Sleeping PositionFront
Jens C.

Jens C.Perth, WA

Love it

Loving the Koala mattress
Had the mattress for around 6 months now found it great and helped with niggling problems with the small of my back.
My wife finds it a bit hard though and has added mattress toppers on her side.

Purchased in October 2019.

Perceived Firmness Medium

Why didn't I buy this earlier

This mattress is so comfy! I no longer wake up feel stiff or sore. It takes a week for the mattress to settle & your body to realign but it is worth it. Add in the pillow & you will feel amazing in the morning.

Purchased in May 2020.

Mark J.

Mark J.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

• King

Please don’t do it !

This mattress won’t last ! I started having issues with my back after about 6 months into having this mattress. It wasn’t until recently that I realised the cause is from the saggy mattress.

Just over 12 months in and the sag was obvious. It feels like The peak on a roof if you were to lay in the middle. As soon as you roll slightly to a side, you roll to the end of the bed.

To the naked eye, this is not so obvious unfortunately. It’s very noticeable once you lay on the bed which makes dealing with warranty very difficult.

Purchased in January 2018 for A$1,150.00.

Alex

Alex

Love my mattress and easy to order

I have given my mattress 3 months to write a review and can say that it is great value for money. It has very little transferred bounce and is sooo cozy.
It smelt a little when unveiling from the plastic but that went away once aired out.

Really cant complain about this product

Purchased in January 2020.

Bob

Bob

Great

Purchased not long ago & selected same day delivery. Stated to unpack within 2 months of manufactured date but had only few days left on product I received. I like to mentally prepare myself before change but this didn't allow me enough time. Unpacked the following morning before leaving for work to allow enough time to fully expand. Not the best mattress to sit on but very comfy to sleep on.

Purchased in April 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for A$892.50.

Sleeping PositionBack and Side
Anurag

AnuragGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

It’s Great initially then it sucks

The product is amazing for first few months and then things started to go downhill. First I thought a little change in firmness is fine but as time kept passing now I have more back pain and it has changed shape.

Purchased for A$1,000.00.

Sleeping PositionBack and Side
J4gS9

J4gS9Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Perfect so far (1 month) Hope the sagging issues in other reviews dont happer over time!

The customer service - 5/5. It's a comfortable mattress, the back/neck issues seem to have stayed albeit not gone worse,too early I suppose.
Durability comes with time hope other reviews are wrong

Purchased in January 2020 for A$950.00.

Hey there J4gS9

We are so glad you are liking your mattress. We hope it's only up from here!!!

Alex R.

Alex R.Sydney, NSW

Amazing mattress, fast and friendly service

Great mattress when you get use to it!
No sagging noticed
Easy hassle free delivery with updates!
Honestly makes it easier to buy with the trial instead of wasting time checking stores all day!

Purchased in October 2019 for A$800.00.

Koala S.Koala

Thanks for the great review Alex!

Wilson

WilsonSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good company, disappointing product

Purchased in September 2017 for A$1,050.00.

Frequently Asked Questions about Koala Mattress

Do I need to turn or rotate my Koala Mattress?

Like any mattress, it is important that you rotate the Koala Mattress from head to foot on a regular basis throughout its life to help create more even settling of the comfort layers and dispersal of weight throughout the entire product.

This is especially important within the first few months of use. The Koala Mattress has been designed so you don’t need to flip or turn it over as part of regular maintenance.

Is there a weight limit to using a Koala Mattress?

The mattress has been tested with several weighted dummies, up to 240 kg (530 lbs), and is suitable for most, if not all body types.

Why do I feel hot when using a Koala Mattress?

A foam-based mattress warms up more in comparison to conventional, spring-based mattresses after some use. Koala recommends changing the fabric type of your bed sheet or fitted sheet if you feel warm.

Do I need a bed base with a Koala Mattress?

A Koala Mattress works with any bed base type, including slat and ensemble bases. Koala recommends that you do not use your mattress directly on the floor for hygienic reasons.

Latest Consumer Questions

Nataliek

Nataliekasked

Koala Mattress

Do these mattresses limit transfer of movement. My Partner has restless leg syndrome and I am looking for a product that will limit how much of the movement I feel On the other side.

All

Allasked

Koala Mattress

We have had the Koala mattress for a month and have just noticed mould growing underneath. We have spot cleaned the cover and the mattress. Do you think the mould will have penetrated into the mattress? i.e. is it beyond repair?

Amy
Amy

Hi! This has just happened to us too! We have the koala base and mattress and noticed an odd smell. Pulled the mattress off and the base is mouldy and the mattress cover mouldy too. Luckily not through to the inner foam but it could be there and just not visible to naked eye. Shocking! Never happened with our previous mattress (springs) and base (slats), so I'm thinking it's a design fault - not enough air flow.

Alisi F
Alisi F

I’ve noticed a similar issue. Have spot cleaned my mattress and also doesn’t seem too entrenched, but having only had this mattress for 5 months, not feeling great about this development!

Tania
Tania

I have had the same problem too, Ive tried wiping it down letting it air dry, but it seems to return again.

Jyoti Bala

Jyoti Balaasked

Koala Mattress

Can I use electric blanket on it ?

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives