Mattress Buying Guide

4.1

Kate M

Kate MHunter Region, NSW

We love our mattress!

We love our Koala mattress! It did take a few weeks to adjust to from our old firm spring one, but now it’s the most comfortable mattress! I love that I no longer feel my partner roll over in the night. Also, go someone who suffers from joint pain, it’s amazing! The mattress doesn’t push against my joints and cause pain - now to find a blanket that doesn’t cause downward pressure... We’re very happy with our mattress.

Purchased in October 2020 at koala.com for A$800.00.

Adjustment PeriodWeeks
Perceived FirmnessMedium

A great investment for your sleep!

While it took a little while to get used to a foam mattress (after sleeping on innerspring our whole lives) we love it. It is super comfortable and supportive and we feel like we are sleeping better!

Purchased in April 2020 for A$900.00.

Sim

SimGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great for kids

Easy & speedy delivery.
Mattress going well, keeping shape. Using as part of first toddler bed, plan to use for awhile. Perfect softness and firmness for our kids. Sister has one too.

Purchased in May 2020.

Joanne

JoanneGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

In Love with my new Koala bed!

I am loving my new koala bed. It's been over a month now and it's a dream. It's very comfortable. The base is super handy for storing. you can actually fit more than you realise underneath. I also purchased the sheets which are great as well.
The customer service was amazing as well. So friendly and helpful. I also had my old mattress and base taken away which was fantastic! Highly recommend!

Purchased in October 2020 at Koala Online Store.

Perceived FirmnessMedium

Okay product, great customer service

Ordering process and delivery was easy, fast and reliable. Mattress doesn't gass out too much initially, which is nice.
The mattress is very soft. That's of course subjective. The sides are too soft and its easy to slide off or roll off the edges.
The mattress DOES SAG. Do not believe fancy marketing slogans. It does sink in and sag. Eventually ended up returning the mattress after 80 days. Return process was easy and without any concerns. Refund came in same day. Excellent customer service.

Purchased in September 2020 at Koala Living Online Store for A$850.00.

Perceived FirmnessVery Soft
Gabrielle B.Koala
Kylie

KylieCentral Queensland, QLD

Best Mattress Ever.

The Koala mattress is the best purchase I’ve made. It is so comfortable. I no longer wake up with sore shoulders and I’m finally sleeping better than I ever have.

Purchased in October 2020.

• King

Best decision of my adulthood life so far.

Mattress is heaps comfortable. Great for sharing with guests as movement does t wobble the whole mattress. Sleep way better now! Six months on it looks as fresh as the day it came out of the box.

JessG

JessGGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Best sleep ever!

I’m truly amazed at how good I am sleeping in my new Koala mattress. It’s firm, but comfy in all the right places and I’m waking up feeling very rested. Even my husband loves it! Thank you for the best sleep of my life Koala!

Purchased in August 2020 for A$1,050.00.

Perceived FirmnessMedium

Better than my old $1500 Mattress!

I bought the Queen size and I am completely and utterly in love! I have slept so well since sleeping on it! No more back pain! I recommend it to anyone that will lend me an ear for 5 mins! The little Koala in the box was the cutest surprise too! I love that by purchasing this mattress I was also able to help a real Koala.

Purchased in August 2020 for A$950.00.

Adjustment PeriodWeeks

Kitty Kat

Kitty KatSydney, NSW

• King

Very disappointed with this product

Purchased in March 2019.

Caused DiscomfortYes
Chelsey B.

Chelsey B.Darling Downs, QLD

Best purchase of the last 10 years!

I bought the mattress without expecting too much, but noticed a difference in my sleep quality straight away. I can’t believe what I had put up with for years!
My back pain has lessened and I wake up feeling well rested. More so than I have in recent years. Would highly recommend this mattress. Comfy, durable and supportive. 5 stars!

Purchased in July 2020 at Koala Living for A$950.00.

Mars80

Mars80Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

So Comfortable

I have now brought 2 of these mattreses as they are super comfortable. First I brought one for my 6 year old & found I slept so much better in his bed then mine so now have brought one for me bed to.
Its just great as my son moves around so much but unless he kicks me i don't even feel is movements. I totally recommend this mattress & already have to family.

Purchased in August 2020 at Koala Online Store for A$900.00.

Love it

Very comfy, not soft but not hard, can’t feel partner moving around. Very warm. I have a bad back and find it to be very supportive. We like it very much.

Purchased in July 2020 at Koala Online Store for A$1,200.00.

Mars

Marsperth

Did I get the wrong mattress?

Purchased in August 2020 for A$1,000.00.

Perceived FirmnessVery Hard
John

JohnMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

good delivery time, but poor customer service experience. Mattress is now unsleepable on.

good delivery time, but poor customer service experience. Over 6 emails and phone calls to organise a mattress topper. Complained about mattress being uncomfortable and lumpy just after the 120 night trial and was told unless it's defective via photos they want nothing to do with it. Mattress is now unsleepable on.

Caused DiscomfortYes
Perceived FirmnessHard

Cherrie

CherriePerth, WA

The most awesome mattress I have ever slept on

The Koala Mattress is the most comfortable and dreamy mattress I have ever slept on. For over 10 years I have suffered with chronic sciatica in my back, and was constantly Waking during the night and morning in agony from my old mattress. From the first night sleeping on my new koala mattress my back pain is gone, and I feel completely refreshed in the morning. I love the mattress so much that I have bought one for my 15 yr old son, and plan on buying one for my other 3 children as well. I highly recommend the koala mattresses to everyone, you definitely won’t regret buying one.

Purchased in June 2020 for A$998.00.

gary

gary South-Eastern Region, NSW

Fantastic

We love our mattress fantastic sleep all night no problems don't want to get up it's amazing. We have told lots of people to lay on it and you be amazed cheers Koala love it.

Purchased in April 2020 for A$900.00.

Andrea Hadden

Andrea HaddenSouth East Queensland, QLD

Amazing! Would never buy another brand!

This is our third mattress purchase as we have replaced all mattresses in our home. 1 King & 2 singles. Quick delivery & unboxing. Once you go koala you never go back!!

Purchased in January 2019.

Perceived FirmnessMedium

My understanding of a good nights sleep has changed.

My wife and I have found the last two weeks on the Koala to be very comfortable and supportive and that there has been no notable change in in the mattress in this time.
It is early days, but we’ve both noticed improved quality of sleep and I’ve personally noticed a markable increase in dreams. That can only be good right?
I also notice I spend a lot more time sleeping on my back now.

Purchased in July 2020 at Koala Online Store for A$975.00.

Perceived FirmnessSoft
Marcus

MarcusGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

All good so far

The 4 hour delivery turned out to be 2 working days later (ordered on Thursday morning, delivered Monday)
Mattress is doing well and I have no back pain, I am 100kg so I am waiting to see if there is any “sag” in it after a month or so?
But at the moment I am sleeping well.

Purchased in June 2020.

Perceived FirmnessSoft

Frequently Asked Questions about Koala Mattress

Do I need to turn or rotate my Koala Mattress?

Like any mattress, it is important that you rotate the Koala Mattress from head to foot on a regular basis throughout its life to help create more even settling of the comfort layers and dispersal of weight throughout the entire product.

This is especially important within the first few months of use. The Koala Mattress has been designed so you don’t need to flip or turn it over as part of regular maintenance.

Is there a weight limit to using a Koala Mattress?

The mattress has been tested with several weighted dummies, up to 240 kg (530 lbs), and is suitable for most, if not all body types.

Why do I feel hot when using a Koala Mattress?

A foam-based mattress warms up more in comparison to conventional, spring-based mattresses after some use. Koala recommends changing the fabric type of your bed sheet or fitted sheet if you feel warm.

Do I need a bed base with a Koala Mattress?

A Koala Mattress works with any bed base type, including slat and ensemble bases. Koala recommends that you do not use your mattress directly on the floor for hygienic reasons.

Latest Consumer Questions

Tess A.asked

Koala Mattress

Our Queen size koala mattress bought two years has sagging on both sides on the mattress, is there any way we can fix this as my husband has injured his back and is having trouble attaining any for of comfort?

G'day Tess,

You and your husband both deserve to be feeling your comfiest any night, let alone when battling a back injury too. Our 10 Year Warranty won't stand to see you with a sagging mattress and we'd love to see that we get you a supportive sleep as soon as possible! If you can please reach out to our Customer Care team on  1800 575 337 or email us at support@koala.com, we'd love to get a replacement out to you both and see you back to being as comfy as can be.

Tess A.

Thank you for your reply I will email the support team, Regards Tess A.

Mac.C

Mac.Casked

HI,
I received my koala mattress 6 months ago now and i'm not sure if its a coincidence or not but it developed yellow staining and various odors, and ever since then i have developed a skin issue (Psorisis) that i have never had before and cannot find a reason why. Has anyone else had a similar experience to this?

Gabrielle B.Koala

G'day Mac,

This sounds uncomfortable and frustrating to sound the least mate, no matter how unusual or bizarre it is, thank you so much for reaching out and we'd love to get to the bottom of this situation! You definitely shouldn't be experiencing something less than comfy and our team is here for you if you would like to look into this more with us?

If you can please reach out to us on 1800 575 337 or email us at support@koala.com and we'll be happy to help and investigate this further!

Alex B.
Alex B.

Hi Mac, I had yellow staining with my kid's mattress about a year back. The original Koala mattress protector just turned yellow in several areas after multiple washes. I contacted Koala support and they shipped a new mattress cover free of charge.

Michelle

Michelleasked

Koala Mattress

Greetings from Sunny Melbourne. The search for a new King mattress has led me to Koala so far. The one thing that has persuaded me is the fact that you pick up and re cycle old mattresses. Given the situation in Melbourne Metro atm, do you have any idea how long the pick up process will take? Short or room and I really dont want a king size mattress in the hall way for to long. Many thanks

Lara
Lara

i don't work for them but under their help section on their website is this "In selected areas of Sydney and Melbourne we've partnered with Soft Landing, a mattress recycling social enterprise, to remove and recycle your old mattress for FREE.

Once you've ordered your koala mattress, we'll send you the details to book your mattress pick up through Soft Landing. Get your koala mattress now."

G'day Michelle,

Hope you're enjoying that super sunny spring morning in Melbs! Let's get this sorted :) We can absolutely work with you and our partners Soft Landings to time this so that it's easy-peasy and swift as can be! For the best and most accurate advice on booking your old mattys collection, please reach out to the Soft Landings team here https://www.softlanding.com.au/contact-us/ for their ETA to your address.

From there, we'd love to book in your new mattress and make sure it arrives on just the right day! You'll be able to choose the delivery window that suits you best when you place your order, or please reach out to our Customer Care team on 1800 575 337 or email us at support@koala.com and we'll be happy to help you out or answer any more questions you have too :)

The Koala Dream Team

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives

Koala have been one of the major players in the boxed-mattress industry since it first began gaining traction in Australia. There are thousands of reviews on this page, so we've taken a cut of the most recent reviews and done a deep dive into the data from them. We'll use these reviews to answer some of the most pertinent questions regarding the Koala mattress.

The segment of reviews we have taken data from is comprised of 230 reviews published between Feb 6th and Aug 23rd 2019. At the time of writing, this represents roughly 8% of the total number of Koala Mattress reviews.

Is the Koala Mattress good value for money?

Our reviewers have given the Koala Mattress and average rating of 4.2 for Value for Money, which is very positive. Even a number of reviewers who gave an overall negative score still stated that the Koala represented good value for money.

Suitability for those with neck or back issues.

Of the 230 users surveyed, 94 stated they had pre-existing neck or back issues. Of these people, 85 of them (90.4%) said that their Koala mattress did not caused further discomfort.

Sleeping Hot

If you hate waking up during the night feeling too hot, this might be the mattress for you. 94 reviewers said they felt the mattress did not retain heat, compared with 39 who said it did (97 people did not respond to this question).

Sagging

In general, we found that the longer someone had owned their mattress, the more likely they were to complain about their mattress sagging. While only 35 reviewers said their mattress sagged, these people had owned their mattress for an average of 449 nights (just under 15 months), as compared to the 156 reviewers who had not noticed any sagging, who had on average owned their mattress for 79 nights (about 2.5 months).

How does it feel to sleep on?

Most reviewers agree with Koala's own assessment of their mattress as being of "Medium" firmness. You can see a breakdown below:

Perceived FirmnessNumber of Respondents
Very Soft4
Soft23
Medium127
Hard34
Very Hard7

Sleeping Position

There wasn't a significant difference between Front, Back, or Side sleepers - they all rated the mattress pretty positively. Note: reviewers were able to select more than one preferred position.

Sleeping PositionAverage RatingNumber of Respondents
Front4.323
Back4.062
Side4.2158

Longevity

Most people don't want to replace their mattress every year. Ethical consumption is becoming an increasing factor in purchasing decisions, and people expect their mattress to last. While 71% people indicated it only took a few days for them to adjust to their new mattress (as opposed to weeks or months), we did see a correlation between length of ownership and increased rates of dissatisfaction with the product. In general, reviewers who gave a lower rating were more likely to have owned the mattress for longer than the 120-night trial period. The 49 reviewers outside this trial period gave an average rating of 2.4 stars, while 176 reviewers still inside the trial period rated the mattress 4.6 stars.

The 29 reviewers who gave a 1-star rating had owned the mattress for an average of 14 months, while the 153 reviewers who gave 5 stars had owned the mattress for an average of 9 weeks.

Wrapping Up

While reviewers rate the Koala as great bang for your buck, and it seems like your bad back won't be any worse off for sleeping on it, we did notice that many positive reviews come from users who have owned the mattress for around 2 months. However, Koala do offer a limited 10 year warranty that covers physical flaws and visible indentation due to normal use, in addition to their standard 120-night trial period. As always, have a read through the reviews, and if you have any questions, you can post them in our Q&A area and a Koala representative or a helpful member of our community will get back to you.

Compare all 5 Koala Mattress
CategoryMattressesMattressesMattressesMattresses
Price (RRP) A$750.00A$850.00A$950.00A$1,050.00
Type HD Polyurethane FoamHD Polyurethane FoamHD Polyurethane FoamHD Polyurethane Foam
FirmnessMedium FirmMedium FirmMedium FirmMedium Firm
SizeSingleKing SingleDoubleQueen
Thickness23 cm23 cm23 cm23 cm
Country of ManufactureAustraliaAustraliaAustraliaAustralia
Manufacturer Warranty10 year(s)10 year(s)10 year(s)10 year(s)
Compare all 5 Koala Mattress