Listing monitored by Koala

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

wsm
wsmGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Less then 18 months old & covered in mould!

We initially bought the Koala King Base a few months before then purchasing the mattress in November 2019. The mattress was great. We regularly rotate it however, the last couple months I have noticed it feeling a bit lumpy/sagging. This aside, on the weekend, I went to lift the mattress off the bed base entirely to underneath the base (you can't get a vacuum under it but it collects dust) and there was huge patches of black mould growing between the bed base and the mattress.

I reached out to Koala and they said that they would be in contact ASAP but their team did not work on Sundays. I suffer from an autoimmune disease so we immediately tried to clean off the mould from the bed base and moved out of the room, closing all the doors and opening the windows to try and air it out and reduce the risk of health concerns. We have been sleeping on the couch since Sunday due to this.

I reached out to Koala again on the Monday afternoon as I had not heard anything, no response. I reached out again on Tuesday and told them of the situation and health concerns. I was then told that they were looking into my 'claim' and were busy with the new sale of their mattresses so there was a delay in their response. They said they would be in touch later that day, if not then Wednesday. They did not reach out yet again.

I didn't want to post a review until the matter was resolved however, we haven't heard anything back and it seems they respond quickly to the negative reviews #branding. The mould has been referenced from multiple reviewers, it's a known issue and design flaw (lack of slats restricts airflow) and considering a 10 year warranty is offered and we have only had it for just over 18 months you would think issues like this would be covered?

Purchased in November 2019.

Ronda TGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

It's time to send our Koala back to the bush

Update: after being asked to send pictures of the label and of the mattress with bricks on it to prove the obvious sagging, I have given up. We've replaced the mattress now and sleeping better on a conventional mattress with no issues. Koala certainly don't like to hear negative commentary about products and make it as hard as possible. I wasn't asking for anything, just stating facts, I was happy to mediate but I will not retract comments on an inferior product.
***
We bought the mattress based on the great reviews, for the first few months it was great (please note the weather was cool when we got the mattress). First summer in we felt like we were sleeping on an electric blanket set on high every night. This situation didn't ever really improve, it was a big old heat generator and every night was the same. Recently the mattress developed imprints that were visible when we got out of bed in the morning. After zero response from the website contact we have replaced the mattress and looking for someone to take the koala away. Very disappointed considering the hype.

kel
kelGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Sagging after only 6 months

So so disappointed. We saved for a very long time to finally upgrade our mattress.
Read so many reviews, but it seems the majority of the reviews here are only reviewed after a week or so. I initially loved the mattress at the start also and raves about it so much that 2 different sets of friends also brought the mattress. Now our mattress has started to sag after 4 months. I’m only 60kg so it’s ridiculous to think I’m sleeping in what feels like a huge hole.
I’m waking every morning with terrible neck and shoulder pain so much so that’s it’s causing frequent migraines and a lot of money at the osteo. I’m hardly sleeping and that coupled with a newborn it’s not a great time.
My husband is sleeping on the couch as he is getting also very sore from the mattress.

I don’t want a replacement mattress as it seems from previous reviews the same thing happened without a few months again. I just want a refund. I saved so long for this mattress for it to not even last a year. Our last mattress was 10 years.

Koala CSKoala

Langridge
Langridgepakenham

King mattress but shorter than true king

We have had our mattress for nearly a week, while comfortable in the middle the sides sag very badly when you sit even for 1 second and I found this to be concerning so soon. More concerning is the fact that we do not feel this mattress is true king size and have been left with what seems to be quite a large gap (approx 3inch)while fitted on our existing base. We live chatted with the customer service team and were informed to give it 10 days to fully expand! So far no growth in length has occurred with the expansion process. Will keep you updated.

Purchased in March 2021 for $1,000.00.

Koala CSKoala
toffeepop
toffeepopAU

Not the greatest

After excitedly buying a koala mattress in 2017 we suffered terribly from the mattress sag that seemed to have played the earlier generation. Koala offered to send us a replacement mattress three years after buying the first one. Unfortunately after only three months the new mattress started to show signs of sagging terribly on one side also. They again offered to replace it but instead I opted for a refund. Terribly sad that the koala couldn’t make our dreams come true. It was comfortable to sleep on till the soft sagging started. And I loved the finish on the top of the mattress. I love not having to have a mattress protector on the bed as a bit of a Princess and the Pea kind of person. I also found the mattress very hot and thought that It did retain body heat from where you’re directly lying on it.
I cannot fault koala’s customer service I have always been easy to contact to talk to and we are happy to help whenever I had a problem.

Purchased in September 2017 for $1,000.00.

Alex
AlexBrisbane

Started sagging in two months

It was great for a while but started sagging within two months. I'm a really light guy so not sure why. The mid section has lost all support. It's really disappointing.

Purchased in November 2020 for $800.00.

Sleeping PositionBack, Front and Side
BillyPerth, WA

Sagging extremely after only 9 months of use (60kg one person used the entire time)

Extremely poor mattress as images shown. It becomes extremely sagging and discomfort after only 14 months of purchase along with the official bed base. Only one person used the entire time, I'm 60kg slim male. I don't think the mattress is durable at all! So regret buying it, please avoid it at all cost. It hurts my neck and back so bad, totally negative effect. The mattress is not as thick as you think! I tried to provide the requested images to them about the sagging problem for so many times! They still try to avoid my complaint! They will not exchange another mattress or refund! Very disappointed!

• +1Thumbnail

Purchased in November 2019 for $1,050.00.

Billy

It's been two days and yet waiting for their refund procedue

KoalaKoala

Not great for hot sleepers

Purchased this mattress Mid 2018. Haven't had any issues with sagging yet but one issue that I can't get past is how hot this mattress is, it retains heat like crazy and I would not recommend it for hot sleepers which is surprising because it is marketed as being very breathable. Once the weather hits above 30 degrees which is a huge majority of the year living in Perth the mattress heats up and gets stuffy. Its a real shame because in winter it's very comfortable but I can't seem to get a good night's sleep once spring hits. Have reached out to customers support who advised buying their $150 sheet set might be the answer. Not impressed.

Purchased in July 2018.

Heat Retention Yes

Nemo

The mattress is under a year and already sagging.

The mattress is under a year and already sagging. The warranty only covers sags over 25mm which is a gigantic sag. Currently my sag is only 2mm, but I can feel a distinct indentation, I am worried as this gets worse it will ne nad for my back.

Purchased in January 2020 for $900.00.

Nemo

Thank you for resolving my problem and giving me a refund, despite my issue not meeting the warranty description!

Bianca
BiancaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Wouldn't purchase again.

Sides collapse and already sagging at 7months old. Not good for bad backs. I feel like the mattress is abit smaller than a standard queen size?
They ask for reviews in the first week of purchase for a reason.
I don't recommend it.

Purchased in March 2020 for $900.00.

KoalaKoala

The worst. Less than 1.5 years old and sagging - warranty is for replacement - I want my money back!

Purchased in June 2019 for $900.00.

Mimi
Mimi

I have only received a generic email in response to a warranty claim request for information I sent, this generic email did not answer any of my questions. I have not been contacted by anyone from the "treehouse" as far as I know.

Kitty Kat
Kitty KatSydney, NSW

Very disappointed with this product

We purchased our king mattress only in March of 2019. I understand that we sadly live in a very disposable and throw away society now days but I certainly didn’t expect to have to be shopping for a new mattress to replace our Koala mattress only 16 months after we purchased it.
On either side of the mattress where we sleep has sagged to a point that there seems to be a bump in the middle of us down the centre of the bed.
We ain’t overly heavy people. We have rotated the bed but the sag continues.
I wake with sore ribs and shoulders from lying on my side without the support I was hoping for and anticipated from this mattress. And my partner wakes with a tight back virtually every morning.
The mattress has lost its shape and firmness. The sagging on either side is visibly obvious.
We cannot continue to sleep on this mattress.
The hunt for a replacement mattress begins.

Purchased in March 2019.

Louise M.
Louise M.

Awful mattress and Koala have ignored my emails and the review I wrote 6 months ago.

The review I wrote here 6 months ago saying how uncomfortable the mattress is and that I am waking up with neck and back pain was ignored even though they said they'd get back to me to resolve it. The mattress also sags in the middle. All emails directly to them also ignored! Terrible customer service and I expect a refund and the mattress gone. The mattress has been in the spare room for months! Koala if you're finally paying attention my order number is 31522039.

Purchased in June 2019 for $1,100.00.

Michelle
MichelleSydney, NSW

Sagging and body shaped indents within one year

Purchased in January 2019 at Koala Living Online Store for $975.00.

Sim
SimSydney, NSW

If you have a sore lower back, this is not the mattress for you.

I had a latex mattress for about 7 years, slatted base and cost over $4,000. After the years went on it started to sag and both my husband and I had terrible nights sleep. We then purchased a Koala mattress and it was good for about two months -(I assume compared to our previous mattress). The back aches started again. This may all be because of me, the the mattress was way too hard, you cannot sink into it at all. So if you like to sink a bit this is not the mattress for you. We did not send back, as I kept hoping that I would grow into it, but unfortunately I did not. We wasted the opportunity of 120 nights free trial.
Overall rating is too hard, but that may suit a lot of people.

Purchased in September 2019 for $1,050.00.

Frequently Asked Questions about Koala Mattress

Do I need to turn or rotate my Koala Mattress?

Like any mattress, it is important that you rotate the Koala Mattress from head to foot on a regular basis throughout its life to help create more even settling of the comfort layers and dispersal of weight throughout the entire product.

This is especially important within the first few months of use. The Koala Mattress has been designed so you don’t need to flip or turn it over as part of regular maintenance.

Is there a weight limit to using a Koala Mattress?

The mattress has been tested with several weighted dummies, up to 240 kg (530 lbs), and is suitable for most, if not all body types.

Why do I feel hot when using a Koala Mattress?

A foam-based mattress warms up more in comparison to conventional, spring-based mattresses after some use. Koala recommends changing the fabric type of your bed sheet or fitted sheet if you feel warm.

Do I need a bed base with a Koala Mattress?

A Koala Mattress works with any bed base type, including slat and ensemble bases. Koala recommends that you do not use your mattress directly on the floor for hygienic reasons.

Latest Consumer Questions

Leigh M
Leigh Masked

Hi
Very interested in purchasing a Koala king size mattress. Many mixed reviews mostly excellent! Will a base with slats cause any damage to the mattress/leave indentations? My base has slats that are "sprung" that is two sets of slats going down each side, meeting in middle of bed, curving upwards from side to middle, 20 odd slats on each side, a very gentle "m" shape. Will this be an issue? Should I Flip the mattress?

Ronda T

Apparently you need a slat based bed (we were never told that in the initial stages) because these mattresses are essentially foam rubber in a cover. If you are a 'hot sleeper' in any way be very aware that these mattresses retain heat, they are not a 'cool' mattress to sleep on particulary in the summer months unless you run air con all night.
The mattress was comfortable enough but after a few years we noted depressions forming where we both slept. Over the course of the day this returned to 'normal' but we definately noticed a softening over time. We were never told to rotate or turn the mattress so not sure if this is avoidable. We went back to a conventional mattress as a result of all this.
That is the negative, but on the positive side the customer service person we eventually dealt with was great, she approved the return of the mattress so that they could investigate the softening issue and organised someone to come and collect it. She also approved a credit for us to use on other Koala products and we will definately consider this.

Gabrielle F.
Gabrielle F.asked
Koala Mattress

Does the mattress dip due to weight? One side of our mattress has become soft and has a dip. We've only had the mattress for a month.

G’day Gabrielle,

Oh no! This doesn’t sound right to us at all - your matty has barely stretched its legs and it should be giving you a perfectly comfy sleep every night!

Our mattresses have been tested to hold up to 300kgs for 10 years! They’re designed to distribute your weight evenly to avoid dipping and keep you dreaming sweetly for years to come. The good news is that we’ve got you covered with our 120-night trial and 10 year warranty, and our team are on the edge of their mattresses wanting to fix this up for you!

We’re combing our system to find the right Gabrielle, but we’d love it if you could give us a buzz on 1800 575 337 or email us at support@koala.com so we can get you a mattress that’s not going to interrupt your snoozes!

The Koala Dream Team

Benjamin L.
Benjamin L.asked
Single

Would this type of mattress work on a hospital type bed that you can adjust

G’day Benjamin,

Thanks for reaching out! Our mattresses are just as cosy on adjustable bed bases as they are on standard bases. We just recommend that you don’t keep it in the upright position for long periods, as that could impact the foam over time.

If you have any other questions or if there’s anything we can do for you, just give us a buzz on 1800 575 337 or drop us a line at support@koala.com - we’re always here to help and we’d love to hear from you!

The Koala Dream Team

Get an answer from our members and Koala representatives

Koala Mattress

The Koala range was given a facelift in July 2021 which included some minor product and design changes. This product is GECA certified.

Compare all 5 Koala Mattress
CategoryMattressesMattressesMattressesMattresses
Price (RRP) $780.00$960.00$1,000.00$1,050.00
Type HD Polyurethane FoamHD Polyurethane FoamHD Polyurethane FoamHD Polyurethane Foam
Material Name
  • Ecofoam
FirmnessCustomisable, Firm and Medium FirmCustomisable, Firm and Medium FirmCustomisable, Firm and Medium FirmCustomisable, Firm and Medium Firm
SizeSingleKing SingleDoubleQueen
Thickness23 cm23 cm23 cm23 cm
Country of ManufactureChinaChinaChinaChina
Manufacturer Warranty10 year(s)10 year(s)10 year(s)10 year(s)
Compare all 5 Koala Mattress