Kogan 2400W Twin Hot Plate Infrared Cooker Ceramic Glass Cooktop

Kogan 2400W Twin Hot Plate Infrared Cooker Ceramic Glass Cooktop

5.0 from 1 review

So much better than expected!

We needed a cheap portable cook top to use in some temporary accommodation we have while we are waiting for our house to be built. It doesn't have an oven or a cook top (or hot water for that matter but that's another review in itself!) so we needed a solution. We purchased the Kogan twin cast iron cook top/oven but it took 15 minutes to boil a pot of water and you can't use the oven and burners together due to power requirements. So we found the Todo listed here and there but with not too many reviews, we decided to take a punt based on price alone. This 2 burner portable infrared cook top simply plugs in to any mains power point. It has pre-programed power selections which people may or may not find useful. One of the programs is "fry" and it allows you to adjust the power setting manually, this is what we use all the time so it acts just like a typical built in cook top. It heats things up really fast and also simmers well. It boiled the same pot of water we tested on the Kogan ove/cook top in 5 minutes so 1/3 of the time. The "fry" program we use displays the power setting in Watts from 200w to 2000w and jumps in intervals of 200w so basically 10 power settings. Some of the other programs will show power in degrees Celsius, not sure how accurate this is as we don't have the need to even use those programs. Maximum power consumption is 2400w so using both burners is possible providing the combined power settings don't exceed that. Once food/water has been brought to the boil a setting of 200-400w is all we use to continue cooking. Obviously this means that it's not possible to boil 2 pots of water at the same time on max power. You either have to do one and reduce power before doing the 2nd or set both to 1200w and wait it out. In any case we find it very easy to work around this issue and we are extremely pleased with how this cook top performs. It will be the perfect outdoor entertainer appliance once we move into the new place as well.

Is the bottom of this metal, plastic or other material?
98% of the product is either metal or ceramic glass. The plastic bits consist of the power cord, the feet and the little plastic aesthetic rings around the radial power knobs are (knobs are metal too). I defy you to beat this product for value for money not to mention it works exceedingly well once you get the "feel" for using it. I read so many bad reviews about the induction hot plates that I decided on this one. So glad I did.Thanks Monkeyfan, I can now purchase one, it's exactly the answer I was hoping for. Kind Regards, Mandy.

Doe's this make any noise from a cooling fan of anything else?
Yes there is a cooling fan when operating the cooktop. It's not a harsh fan sound and we don't find it annoying at all. The best way I can describe it is about half the fan noise that the average rangehood would make. We've been using this every day now for 3 months and it's been great. No issues at all and it heats things very fast in our opinion. For the money I can't imagine you could find anything better. We love TODO :)