KTM 640 Adventure

KTM 640 Adventure

3.0 from 1 review

Great riding but money pit

Great off-road and heaps of fun, but too many break downs! You need a little Austrian mechanic as a co-pilot.
The power of this bike is incredible, because of the low weight (158 kg's from memory), the 55 BHP really catapult you forwards. The 26 litre tank is also worth gold when travelling the Australian outback. Off-road handling is second to none - There is a reason why KTM has won Paris-Dakar in 7 consecutive years and 50% of the riders in this rally are on KTM's.
However, this comes at a price - a very high price to be precise. I bought my 2003 at 28k km's and rode it for 1 1/2 years until about 56k km's. In that time I spent $5,500 on repairs and maintenance. Boy was I glad when I finally sold it. Although, I miss it too. The bike has character and grunt. Just wish I was able to afford the repair costs or was more handy with fixing stuff myself. The worst break down was a main drive shaft bearing that disintegrated and cost me about $1,900 to repair in outback NT. Then, a broken carburetor needle cost me $750 with all the adjoining parts and labour costs, which is ridiculous. Also, these bikes are notorious for breaking clutch cables, so always carry a spare one. I actually always had one pre-fitted so I only had to switch over when one broke and then later, when I was back home, I took the tank off and fitted a new one next to the one I was just using and removed the broken one. The only reason I recommend this bike is because it rides so well and always brought such a huge grin to my face. However, I only recommend it to people who buy it new and service it regularly and to people who have the money or skills to maintain it. Lastly, don't get it if you're planning long trips. After about 500kms you feel your bum very succinctly!