Kumho Road Venture APT KL51

Kumho Road Venture APT KL51

See the Best 4WD Tyres in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Kumho? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Off-Roading Frequency
  • Wet Weather Handling
  • Durability
  • Dry Weather Handling
LeeanSouth East Queensland, QLD

Tyres cracking up

Disappointment in quality and backflip of Kuhmos Reps word to offer to replace cracking tyres after offer was made in front of Bridgestone staff (not where they were bought). Quality is the issue that cant be covered by kms as you should never drive on cracked tyres that could explode while Kuhmo state its cosmetic and 3 other reputable tyre sales state dangerous and could explode.

Purchased in March 2018 for $800.00.

Long wearing

I had a set of these Tyre's on my xtra cab hi lux , and they were a long wearing ,quiet and fabulous road Tyre in both wet or dry conditions . As an off road Tyre a bit if dirt road was about it ,but they are not sold as off road Tyre's . I couldn't wear them out .They were very well priced , great for highway and around town

Purchased in May 2012.

Scott Darnley
Scott DarnleyUmina Beach

KL51 good at the start but noisy after 20k’s

The tyres did 43000 and then they sounded like a set of mud terrains and wear wearing badly although vehicle had a wheel alignment and tyre balance every 10,000
No way would they reach the 60000 as stated by Kuhmo
Also vehicle fuel consumption went up with this tyre, really easy to monitor on a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Car2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
MikeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Kumho Road Venture APT KL51(265/65 17R 112H) and 80,000 km Warranty

CarToyota Landcruiser Prado 120 Series Standard Suspension (2008 model)

Darryl
DarrylColinton

Third set that have failed due to delamination

This is the third set of KL51's I have had on my car and at least 2 of the tires on every set have failed due to delamination before they are 50% worn. No, I don't drive on rough roads or abuse the tires! I have given the tires the benefit of the doubt twice but third time that's it. Of course the dealers and Kuhmo don't want to know you when you have a problem. There has to be a weakness in the construction of the tire!
Have now changed over to a Goodyear tire.

CarCG Captiva
Deanna
DeannaVIC, 3806

Kumho Tyres

I purchased 4 new Kumho tyres (from Tyrepower) and has them fitted. I was after something that was good in the wet, and they definitely seem to fit the bill. The guys at Tyrepower in Berwick were super helpful and nice, and were done quicker than expected. When I drove out, compared to the old ones, they felt like I was driving on a cloud!

Car2014 Holden Commodore
fredlet02
fredlet02Gippsland, VIC

Not bad 4 bush bashin & quite reasonable on the road

Having had 2 sets of these over around 130.000 k/s long an short when I bought the ole girl it had real 4wd boots on it long and short far 2 noisy on a regular road but these kumhos are not all that loud 4 nomal drivin so I've stuck with them dous most of the off roading setup fairly well 1 just hasta take a little more care but long an short they are pretty good 4 bush bashin.

November 21st 2017 Update: Not a bad boot

Not really brilliant for 4wdriving but as long as you take certain things into consideration they do a plurry good job but on the main rd they are dam near as good as any road tyre I/e hang on reasonably well but road noise is not 2 bad compared 2 some real 4wd boots long an short not a bad bit a gear at all.

Carford courier xl 2.6 not a bad ole jigger long an short its made by mazda

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.15 Nov 2021
smart-shopping-tips-to-help-you-make-the-most-of-black-friday-sales

Clara V.7 Dec 2021
How to be more eco-friendly when you're gifting this Christmas

Clara V.30 Nov 2021
how-to-be-more-eco-friendly-when-youre-gifting-this-christmas
Dugald MacTavishSouth-Eastern Region, NSW

Great Tyre for the money

CarToyota Kluger

fingerscrossed
fingerscrossedPerth, WA

Delamination when only 50% worn!

Was loving these four tyres that I bought to replace the noisy original bridgstones on the RAV4 back in December 2010.
225/65/17
6 years later exactly, 58km's and only 50% wear- two of them (at least) have gone badly out of round after a couple of hour round trip on the hot summer highway.
I am a mechanic and was looking after these things like never before.
Was happy with every aspect of these and was on track for 100km's of life out of them till this happened.
Would you replace only two out the four when they came from the same batch?
I think not!
So I am in the market for another set- once bitten, twice shy- not kumho.

If it wasn't for this, I would have been up round the 4 star area- ho hum

CarToyota RAV4

not impressed

I purchased a second hand 4wd a year ago that had 4 new APT KL51 tyres on it. I have my tyres rotated & balanced every 5,000kms and I average 20-25,000kms/ year. So the tyres are being rotated & balanced every 3-4 months.
One tyre lasted a mere 10,000km after becoming out of round and unevenly worn, causing bad vibrations through the steering. I emailed Kumho and got no reply. (clearly not interested in customer service)
The other tyres I find puncture easily and now have had all tyres repaired at some stage and they've done less than 20,000kms. I've never had experienced such problems before with other tyre brands and have decided enough is enough. I'm replacing them tomorrow with another brand.
Good bye Kumho!!!

Car2009 NS Pajero Turbo diesel
AvidOnline
AvidOnlineSouth East Queensland, QLD

Don't drive on wet roads

These tyres were on my 4wd that I bought secondhand last year. They were at less than half life. Great in dry conditions, but I have had 2 instances of the rear tyres losing traction on wet roads, the first when turning at traffic lights, the second when on a roundabout. Both instances were at relatively low speed. I would not even consider replacing them with the same tyres.

CarSuzuki Grand Vitara XL7 2004

Sonya 1
Sonya 1Central Queensland, QLD

Great improvement in ride comfort

We have now run these tyres for 10,000 km on our Isuzu D- Max which we use as a tow tug for our fifth wheel caravan. The vehicle was originally fitted with Bridgestones. Fitting the Kumhos improved the ride significantly and reduced road noise. The improvement in ride comfort is particularly impressive when the ute is running empty. Tread wear is looking good so far.

Car2011 Isuzu D- Max

David Cooper
David CooperNortheast, VIC

Reasonable tyre but the warranty is worthless

I bought four of these tyres last year, swayed by the mileage warranty. As they got close to the wear limit they became dangerous in the wet. They had worn away by less 32,000 kilometres and Kumho ducked and weaved to avoid their obligation. It became so hard I went and bought some Falken's instead.

CarJeep Grand Cherokee, 2014, 265/50 R20

Slippery when wet

I purchased this tires 2 months ago. Did not notice any problem with them to start out with. Then I had to drive 250 miles in the rain. If I exceeded 55 mph I was putting my life in my hands. At first I thought maybe it was because of road groves. But had the same experience on new paved highway. Will not purchase again at any price.

Hydro planes at very low speed.

Pauli
PauliSouth East Queensland, QLD

How good are these tyres !!!

We bought our Kia Sorento in May 2012, Kumho tyres came as standard. Last service with Kia @ 61,190km advised tread 4mm all round (min legal depth 1.5mm). We tow a Jayco pop top weighing 1950kg quite a bit, so, are we happy with our KL51 tyres? You bet we are :)

Leeanasked

I bought 4 tyres and followed protocol for warranty. Went for a service and mechanic said tyres are an issue they are all cracking up. Bought back to get rotated and balance and tyre retailer said the tyres are fine. Went to 3 other retailers and they said they have a safety issue. Bridgestone brought Kuhmo rep in to see tyres and he agreed to replacing 4 tyres. 2 weeks later emailed will replace 1 that had excessive wear but said the cracking was cosmetic! Got on to another very rude Kuhmo rep he offered $350. I said I was told 4 new tyres. I was offended that the first rep said I might have sprayed shine on them. What a joke! This is not a warranty issue this is a product issue. A quality issue. Not just accept them like that. Thats good enough!
Thought that a large company would want to provide quality firstly and lastly.

Mike

Hi Leean, I was asked by Prduct Review website to provide an answer to a question from you. Not sure what your question is regarding my product review of the Kumho tyres. Mike

Hi Leean
Its hard to answer a warranty question .as many factors can be involved
But check the date of manufacture it is located on the side wall ( a you tube clip will show you how to find it ) ,some times people sell older tyres
Also there is always issues around correct tyre pressure ,Not saying you had the wrong pressure , BUT IT IS A MUCH BIGGER ISSUE than people realize ,in fact i would say its the number one problem people cause for themself
You cannot run a tyre with low pressure ,they are stuffed if you do so
hope this helps

Leean

Hi Brad they were manufactured in 2018 and tyre is and has been correct pressure. Alot of tyre places have seen the tyres. Kuhmo is a large company that should keep their word. Realistically how much do they cost them. Not o good looking tyre when they cracks all over.

Boyd S.
Boyd S.asked

How are they off-road? They came with my terracan I bought 2nd hand I do mostly road driving but I don't mind going off road to find camping spots And for a bit of fun. Not sure if should keep them util they have worn out or to get a better off road tyre?

Mike

Hi Boyd, probably not the best person to ask. My off road was mainly tracks to and from beach and beach driving, and the odd dirt road. Didn't let me down but then not much can go wrong in this use and if they do just let your tyre pressure down. As for true off-road I really can't say. On road I was running them at 40psi and I know some guys go even higher psi (my previous Dunlop dealer was running his Grandtreks at 46psi!). So I'd check if these pressures are ok for offroad since if too under inflated they might 'roll' a bit and could damage side walls? I did find the tyres seemed to be 'softer' than the Dunlop Grandtreks that came with the Prado. In your case, you could just give them a test to see if you are happy with them but make sure you travel with another vehicle just in case!
Cheers, Mike

GLEN TWADDELL
GLEN TWADDELLasked

Struggling to decide best brand for AT TYRES ?

Stephen
Stephen

Hi,
I now have Michelin Primacy tyres on.the Santa Fe...very good tyres..wearing well

Dugald MacTavish

I have had Land Cruisers for 30 years I like 'BF Goodrich all terrain' it is a good all rounder. for dirt and bitumen usually about $400 each depends where you go. They run well and rarely get a flat

See all Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 questions