4Land Rover Defender 90
Part of Land Rover Defender 4.6

Land Rover Defender 90 Questions & Answers

mantas p.
mantas p. · Defender 90

Is it fits engine 20t4h from rovers to ex-carbinieri defender?

lori
lori · Defender 90

I am trying to sell my Defender 2014 TD4 and it's asking if its constant 4x4 or Dual Range 4x4....how can I tell?

CraigETD5
CraigETD5

Defender's are all constant 4 wheel drive unless you have converted to free wheeling hubs. Cheers

Fab
Fab · Defender 90

Driving home tonight i noticed my Defender had lost power and the engine light had come on. What would it be and should I still be driving it?

Roy G

Hello Fab - I'd suggest that like any vehicle - you should get it to a workshop quickly

js6 · Defender 90

How is the heated rear screen timed. I cannot see any timers on any wireing diagrams.

Thanks.

Roy G

Hey js6 - i'm pretty sure it is not timed at all - just manual turn off & on as needed for as long as required

Regards

Glen

Hi Glen

It is timed somehow because it goes off after several minutes similar to the front screen,which has a timer relay.

Thats what makes me think it must be timed somehow.

Regards.

Defenderdude
Defenderdude · Defender 90

Fuel economy is a big issue for me at the moment. I have created drag with my max trax and high lift mounted of the side of the rack but I honestly did not think it would be this bad. I am searching for other potential issues and have had the muffler modified for better air flow.

Any thoughts?

Peter J

Free flowing exhaust is always something that will improve engine performance and of course fuel economy, my 110 TD5 has a catalitic converter in the down pipe from the manifold and this is on my remove list for better turbo response and economy. I would be careful not to remove all mufflers and increase the pipe diameter much more than standard size as a too free flowing system can also have a negative effect on turbo charger operation so speak to someone that has more involvement with sizes and types of turbo chargers before you spend your money on exhaust modifications.

Jeff
Jeff

Just spoke to my landrover (independent) mechanic about this .have you had the egr valve checked ?, if this is at fault , you can lose alot of power and fuel economy is comprimised big time . He said this is a very common problem .this is the main thing he told me before I purchased my 90 .They also do have a very small fuel tank 60 litre. Im currently getting around 8 litres per 100kms from mine! Hope this helps.

Steve
Steve

What sort of fuel economy are we talking about here

Countrykev
Countrykev · Defender 90

Is it normal to feel a clunk when changing gears?

Mike Honcho

Very normal. A lot of Land Rover gear boxes are like that. Try adjusting the way you let out the clutch with the accelerator. When you get good at it, it wont clunk!

Peter J

Make sure your clutch is disengaging properly and that you change gears smoothly and not to rapidly, secondly make sure you are using the correct gearbox and transfer case oil and that it has the right quantity inside. My Defender has a clunk when changing gears but is is the noise from the play in the ball joint and bushes on the rear differential that I need to get around to replacing sometime soon.

JoeG
JoeG · Defender 90

Is there anything specific I should look for when purchasing a used defender 02 onwards?

Mike Honcho

So you'll be getting the TD5 engine which is a great engine. A service history would be great for starters. But Defenders can be treated very rough sometimes so it pays to be cautious. Rust in the Chassis is possible on all cars so have a good look underneath. As a general rule I avoid anything thats done beach work it's not worth the possible dramas. Keep an eye out for sand when you're under there. Remember the bodies are alloy so they last but there's still metal in places so take a good look around the body, sill, foot wells are a good place to start.

Gearboxes are generally pretty clunky but watch out for lots of slack in the driveline and play in the steering. Check your shocks and bushings and all the other rubbers underneath to. It's not rocket science it's the same as checking any used vehicle.

Get an answer from our members and Land Rover representatives

Select a listing for your question
Land Rover Defender 90