30Land Rover Defender L663

Land Rover Defender L663 (2019-2024) Questions & Answers

VerifiedAlso referred to as: Land Rover Defender L663 2023 and Land Rover Defender L663 2025.
David
David · Defender 130 (2019-2024)

Are the 2.4 130 defenders tow all right
I have a 1.5 ton camper

caleb
caleb · Defender 130 (2019-2024)

G'day g'day I'm currently looking at buying a 1995 defender ute. I essentially want it to be a workHorse because I will need it to tow a 2 tonne trailer. what are your opinions given the fact that I cannot give you too many more details about the truck.I would briefly like to hear your thoughts and opinions?

kind regards

Peter J
Peter J

1995 defenders had problems with the output gear on the gearbox wearing the output shaft due to lack of lubrication by the omission of a lubrication hole in this gear that was in place in later year models, also make sure it is fitted with a salisbury rear differential as these two items will certainly dictate maintenance costs and lifespan of the vehicle if you are towing 2 tons regularly.

Mitch57
Mitch57 · Defender 130 (2019-2024)

How well do the 4 cyl defenders tow heavy trailers (that is 3000 kg) over long distances, and does any body know how long the rear tray is?

Inverell13
Inverell13

Sorry but I had a 2002 TD5 130 that had a remapped computer, not a TDI. It went better than my now 2005 turbo landcruiser 79. I have driven the TDI 4 cly and it it very slow with not much power for towing. My TD5 towed very well but the cooling was a weak point with the extra power, ie you had to keep it very clean otherwise it would overheat if pushed. The defender is better than a cruiser but my wife is disabled and couldn't ride in it anymore. Then trays on the 130's are generally 9 foot long and 6 foot wide. Mine was and the rear wheel was in the centre of the tray. I wouldn't want to tow 3 tonnes with a TDI, the truck will handle it no problems but the engine is too underpowered. They are a good with towing as they are so long and with sway bar on the rear and coils they handle the weight well. I could put 1500kg on the back of mine and you wouldn't know it was there. Cheers

Get an answer from our members and Land Rover representatives

Select a listing for your question
Land Rover Defender L663 (2019-2024)