Land Rover Freelander 1
Part of Land Rover Freelander  3.5 (57)

Land Rover Freelander 1 (1998-2006)

2.4

Interior Design
Boot Size
Comfort
Features
See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Land Rover Freelander › 128 reviews
Simonjw2 posts
savvy Joe
savvy Joe

no problems to date

We have a 2002 v6 freelander es hardtop, purchased 9 years ago. It has 210,000klms. on the clock and to date have only changed a brake pedal switch worth $30 in the last 9 years. Previous to this had a v8 discovery for 11 years and only replaced a water pump, Personally i would not buy anything else. Having said that: It comes down to how hard you push your vehicle.You push anything hard it will break down .

Show details

ajg1
ajg1Coventry2 posts

I have 2002 landrover freelander v6 es. I have not had no problems with my girl ol black bess

Great driving experience easy handling full leather heated seats easy to use dash plenty room in front and excellent room once seats are folded in the back. My fuel costs are fantastic. I can't say a bad word about my black bess. I wouldn't change my car never ever. Love her would only change her if I had to.

Show details

robins60ADELAIDE97 posts
Mat
Matnewcastle

I was Sucked In

I bought a freelander 1998 3 mnths ago. Clutch has gone, ABS sensor replaced, drive shaft replaced after 3 different ones, engine light and hill desent light and traction light comes on all the time and no one can fix it. Cant wait to get rit of the heap of rubbish

paulieee98
paulieee98adelaide2 posts

bad car, dont go there!

Had a 1999 turbo diesel model purchased off a family member. Worst car I've ever owned. Multiple problems one after the other spent way more in repairs than what i paid for it. Last thing temp gauge stuffed up car would cut out and engine light flashed on, land rover spares DIDN'T KNOW WHAT WAS WRONG ! very costly in parts and servicing ... DON'T GO THERE!!
not much!
everything, expensive repairs ! Show details
SmB
SmBMelbourne2 posts

Pretty but with no substance 1998 petrol freelander

I'm surprised it made it off the production line. Wouldn't make the standards now. Pretty and fun looking which you don't enjoy as nervous most of the time it will make it to your destination. Mechanics hate working on it...badly designed engine that overheats ..drive shaft issues.. the list goes on. Landrover should buy them all back to protect their brand. Will never go near a Landrover again!!!
pretty comfortable sunroof
engine... driveshaft... locks electrics... what isn't wrong with it.
dss
dss

Thanks for the heads up!

Todd44
Todd44MELBOURNE

Absolute garbage

Bought new in 2001, turbo crapped itself at 1500kms, replaced and crapped itself again at 25000kms, brakes replaced at 11000kms, no service left us without minimum $450.00 gone, electrics failed at 14000kms , back to Landrover Service dept, another 4 days with no vehicle, thankfully sold it at 32000kms to some sucker, at terrible resale price.

All in all, cost me years of my life, Absolute garbage!
The look.
Listed. Show details

v.hullena
v.hullenaAU

Terrible

WORST financial decision we ever made. Do your homework, you dont have to look far to see that the Land Rover Freelander is a LOSER CRUISER. The Freelander sucks!!!
Nice looking vehicle
Where do I start...this vehicle cost us an absolutely fortune in repairs - the most expensive being $2500 on a new viscous coupling unit. It also had faulty electrics, a 'mystery' coolant leak, roof lining falling down, oil leak, gas guzzler, the list goes on. Seriously, how can one car have so many problems? We only owned the vehicle for just over a year, needless to say we were more than dissapointed.
Ms.Isadora
Ms.Isadora
sandash
sandash2 posts

Terrible

Dreadful car. We owned ours for 11 months, and it was a source of constant stress. We sold it as soon as we could. Highly unreliable car with massive problems with the engine and very expensive parts as well.
Looks good and like driving in armchari.
We had a 2000 model, petrol engine. It was a nightmare. Loads of costly repairs - fix one thing and another would break!
gloria39
gloria39

I bought one about 8 months ago and it was the worse decision I've ever made. I've had lots and lots of expenses since I bought it.

DanW