Land Rover Freelander

39 questions from our users

GraceM
GraceMasked
Freelander 2 (2007-2014)

Hey! I'm looking at investing in my first car and have a freelander in the family. It's rear differential needs replacing for around $4.5k and has around 260,000km on the odometer. I want to know is it worth fixing or will problems keep arising?

Mark
Mark
peter r.
peter r.asked
Freelander

when the land rover freelander2 TD4 se automatic 2009 model did it have a AGM battery

Tito D.asked
Freelander 2 (2007-2014)

Freelander 2 2014. Some days after driving it for sometime when the car at complete stop e.g at a traffic light and after removing foot from break the car jumps aggressively as if someone hits you from the back. If you turn to manual transmission the problem goes away! And thoughts?

Itdotohgxo
Itdotohgxoasked
Freelander

Can I remove the rear passenger single seat in the 2001 td4 or are the bolts machined in?

Chris A.
Chris A.asked
Freelander 2 (2007-2014)

I drove my freelaner2 down the motorway for about 40 miles with no problems , but out of the blue the whole front end started to vibrate,I was traveling at approx 65 miles an hour so I slowed down to below 50 miles an hour but the problem didn't clear .i limped on till I could get off the motorway and checked for anything lose like wheels and driveshafts but everything was ok so I drove it back on to the motorway and found the problem had gone and I drove on to my destination which was a farther 20 miles ,and then returned home another 60 miles and the problem never happened again.can anybody give me a clue what it could have been?

Hi Chris
I'm no expert but sounds like wheel alignment or balancing. Although it's odd that it stopped.
Would definitely get it checked.

Karen
Karenasked

Hi,
Can someone answer my question please, I have a free lander 2008 automatic model for a year and half now, which have been running well but recently I have been having some problems of jerking, and stopping with an error saying " Reduce Engine Performance" when changing to second gear. It doesn't happen all the time just now and then. I also took it in to get it looked at but for some reason they can't seem to the find the problem.. Can some one help with my question?

carlos f.
carlos f.asked
Freelander 2 (2007-2014)

In how get acceleration less in land lover freelander?

Rosa P.
Rosa P.asked
Freelander 2 (2007-2014)

Has anyone had the problem of battery drain from their Land Rover 2 2008 model it had a battery drain problem which the dealer said they had fixed but has got worse and now land rover say it is not fixed that the radio is still draining 50% of the battery constantly ie when the car is switched off and that the fuse motherboard has to be replaced costing over $2000

Bruce P.
Bruce P.
SalPasked
Freelander 2 (2007-2014)

Hi. I purchased a used 2013 MY14 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE with 98,000 ks on it 3 months ago. I am now having a problem with acceleration. It started with the car having reduced acceleration after stopping at lights for approx 5 secs, or after slowing for a corner, however now it has worsened to no having virtually no acceleration above 500 revs. when this happens it will still reverse OK however, and if I turn the air con off the car will go again. Any ideas on what could be causing this please? The drive train was replaced in the first week of purchase.

Possibly bad alternator
Check your voltage with aircon turned on and with aircon turned off if it goes below 14 volts you may need another alterntor.
The vehicle computer is sensitive to voltage fuctuating too much.
See if that helps

SalP

Thank you so much Vern, will try this and let you know how it goes.

Brett
Brettasked
Freelander 2 (2007-2014)

Purchased 2011 Freelander 2 with 50,000 km on the clock.(fully service history) at 112,000 km the PTU power transfer unit required replacement at $2500 then suspiciously the transmission burnt out. Apparently Landrover admitted when transferring over the PTU it can cause issue with transmission. Was quoted $21,000 for new part from Doncaster Landrover. I opted for the refurbished part at $7000 with 1 year warranty. Very expensive to service. feels sluggish and blows quite a lot of smoke. Is it worth keeping the car once the transmission goes in or trade? The body is in good condition

Vern v.

Sounds like they sold you their problem.
I’m finding the Freelander 2 to be a hit or miss when it comes to problems. From what I’ve read on so many forums.
I’ve had a good run from my Freelander 2 2007 model until recently.

Sasa K
Sasa Kasked
Freelander 1 (1998-2006)

On my car land rover freelander td 4 2001 when I turn on the contact clock to show the speed goes to 240 km per hour what can be the malfunction of the instrument panel is not?

Awopeju A
Awopeju Aasked
Freelander 1 (1998-2006)

What could be responsible for hard starting or engine starter and stop

azimiahm
azimiahmasked
Freelander

I’m looking at a used desiel 2012 Freelander. It’s done roughly about 147,000 km. I wanted to know what an avarge service cost on one of these cars and is it worth selling my 2014 Mazda 3 to buy a 4x4? Cheers.

Hi,
I have mine serviced once a year with no major issues. I obviously keep an eye on fluids etc. It is an excellent car and really good to drive in all conditions.

Tito
Titoasked
Freelander 2 (2007-2014)

Freelander2 2014 diesel 50,000km. The gears seem to change to lower gears when you are at complete stop (few seconds) which cause you to feel a little push. Is that normal?

Bryson
Bryson
Karen
Karenasked
Freelander 1 (1998-2006)

Hi I'm going to look at a Landrover Freelander 2000 (diesel) but am having second thoughts after reading some of these Landrover reviews so some advice would be awesome please?

Simonjw
Simonjw

I would strongly advice anyone not to buy a freelander 1, engine issues , oil leaks , dodgy electrics by far the worse four wheel drive car I had owned

Jeff
Jeffasked
Freelander 2 (2007-2014)

I have a Freelander 2 10my s16 hse. My landrover has now had 2 diffs. It has not been diagnosed yet but it looks like 3 diff may need replacing. It seems every 55,000 klm it need new pinion bearing & or replacement diff. My Freelander has been looked after and garaged. Has Never really been off road apart from apart from a dirt road about 10 klm.
The 2nd diff was covered by my insurance policy. If a new diff is required I believe LRover should pay. What are your thoughts.

danielle
danielleasked

hi there
I am tossing up between 2010 Land Rover Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto 4x4 MY11 in diesel OR 2009 LAND ROVER FREELANDER 2 HSE (4x4) in petrol.

May someone please give me a recommendation and which one is a better drive and fuel economy?

Thankyou

kaz
kazasked
Freelander 1 (1998-2006)

why one wiper want work?

Dorothy Colby
Dorothy Colbyasked
Freelander 2 (2007-2014)

I am looking at buying a 2009 Land Rover Freelander 2 TD4 & would like to know people's views on it & whether it would be ok to tow a 16ft caravan?

Mick and Angie
Mick and Angie
Deborah Reddock
Deborah Reddockasked
Freelander 1 (1998-2006)

Considering looking at a Land Rover Freelander 1999 4cyl has anyone got any advice? Much appretiated

robins60