4Leitner Berlin

Leitner Berlin Questions & Answers

Verified🏆 2024 Award
Phil
Phil · Berlin

I’m thinking of selling my 8 months old Leitner Berlin because I don’t feel safe on it. I have fallen off 3 times. The geometry feels wrong. The distance between seat stem and handle bars is too short in my opinion. Are there different types of handlebars available.

Phil Bramley

EventuallyMaybe

There are numerous options available, however it's really important to buy the right bike size for you in the first place. I would suggest taking your bike to a bike shop that offers bike fits. However you could first check out YouTube there are numerous videos on bike fitting, could be something as simple as adjusting the seat height and or handle bar height.

Leitner   DM

Hi Phil, we are sorry to hear that the Berlin Cruiser is not suitable for you. The curved handlebar on the Berlin is adjustable to suit different rider's riding position. Have you tried to adjust the curved handlebar? We suggest contacting our team at sales@leitner.com.au to discuss further. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you.

johnlang · Berlin

Hi Leitner or fellow riders...
The range on my Leitner bike has dropped to 14km from a previous range of 40km. The battery will suddenly cut out when under load, e.g. up hill or acceleration. There is no warning of the failure, just an almost instant drop from full charge to dead.
Background data. Bike and battery are 20 months old. The bike has travelled 3700km, 19mAH battery and I love it.
My questions are
1. Is the battery safe.
2. Is the problem battery or power management system.
3. Can the existing battery be repaired
4. Who can fix it?
Best regards
John

EventuallyMaybe

My Berlin Leitner has done just on 3000k's it's 4 years old, battery is almost as new .

It's important to remember that even during extended periods when you're not using your bike, conducting a monthly battery maintenance ride is crucial to significantly prolong the battery's lifespan. I always make sure to allocate time for this practice.

1: In my view, I wouldn't recommend further charging it. Any abrupt drop in output like that typically indicates damage, so I would regard it as potentially unsafe.

2: The issue should be assessed by someone with the necessary expertise or qualifications. It could be as simple as a single faulty cell, but without a proper examination and testing on a workbench, it's impossible to determine.

3: Generally, yes, if there's no physical damage or signs of smoke. However, if the battery has seen a significant number of miles, it might be more cost-effective to consider a replacement due to the potential expense of repairs.

4: I suggest getting in touch with Leitner; they are known for their responsiveness and often reply to emails within a day. Additionally, a quick online search can help you find local general electronic repair centers. Some battery suppliers also offer repacking services for battery packs, but you'll need to assess whether it's financially viable.

Leitner   DM

Hi John, We have received your email this morning and one of our friendly customer service team member have spoken to you over the phone this morning. We will assist you further on your concern. Thank you!

Hi Leitner,
Thank you and Eventually Maybe for your useful response. The battery and charger are with the Leitner recommended specialist Mark Winstanley in Yangebup Perth.
1. I ended up "carefully" charging it three times, then riding the bike to test as a number of ebike owners had found that the battery had settled down. Each time the bike behaved normally until a approx 14km, 35mins of riding, when it would fail under load (hill or accelerate).
2. I agree that the battery or controller must have failed so have requested a report from the the specialist.
3. The Leitner Website states that "Our batteries are rated at a minimum of 500 full charges. That means if you fully discharge 150 times per year, it will last for about three years" so it is very likely to be a failure.
4. My battery has lasted for approximately 150 charges over 20months (work is a 20km round trip). With a Leitner replacement 20mAh battery at $800 3500km, this works out at $0.23 a km. A repair is preferable.
5. Luckily some friends have Leitner bikes, so I'm not on Shanks pony.
Best regards
John

johnlang

Thank you Eventually Maybe, sage advice, all taken. I will publish results from the specialist, so others can make the decision. It was an hours drive to drop the battery off, there seem to be so many batteries and so few specialists.

johnlang

Mark confirmed Battery fault.
Two cells low, marked on balance lead.
4.01V and 3.44V most others 4.14V to 4.2V. He recover cells computerised charger
Load test 1, 15.1Ah 10A continuous test Terminate 31.5V
Load test 2. 15.3Ah 10A continuous test Terminate 31.5V

johnlang

Recovered battery range is now 30km, up to 40km under normal Perth commuting. The battery also does not suddenly fail, dropping to low when uphill from about 20km. The range is significantly lower than purchased (50km to 70km) from a 20aH (19.2aH) battery with 3700km and 21months old.

Philip · Berlin

How do I remove battery from bike

Philip

no answer to my question

Hi Philip

You may need to remove the seat first by releasing the clamp where it enters the frame then pull seat straight up and out

Next with your battery key inserted in the battery lock, push the key all the way in firmly then turn to the Left, or anticlockwise. This releases the anti theft pin that locks the battery into the slide at the rear of the battery. Now pull the battery straight up and out.

If stuck, gently insert a flat bladed screwdriver at the bottom of the battery and push down on the screwdriver handle to lift it.

Tom.

Tom49

Philip you need to push the key further in than normal before you turn it to the left.

Leitner   DM

Hi Philip, please see the manual online at external link  You will need to flip the seat up, turn the key anticlockwise twice, pushing the key in, in order to unlock the battery from the bike. You can then lift up the handle of the battery and lift the battery up from the bike. If you have any questions, please contact our team at sales@leitner.com.au or 1300 856 725. Thank you!
Leitner team.

Colin · Berlin 16Ah

I have the 16ah battery and my bike has done 320km over the last two years.
The battery has died. Replaced both fuses and still no charge.
I admit to leaving the bike connected to the charger when not in use .
Could this have contributed to the reduced life of the battery ?

Tom49

Typically a battery lasts two to three years or 1000 charging cycles. Once charged the charger usually stops charging and it is probably better to disconnect the charger rather than risk a fire. Lithium batteries hold their charge for a very long period. It sounds like the battery may have been defective to start with rather than the charger causing the issue.

Leitner   DM

Hi Colin, We recommend that your battery be disconnected from the charger once it's fully charged. Leaving it connected could potentially have damaged the battery, but more importantly it can be a fire hazard.
If you email us at sales@leitner.com.au, we would be happy to look into this further with you.
Thanks!

Done

ben b.
ben b. · Berlin

How capable is the Leitner Berlin going up hills with the 19.2Ah battery.

Tom49

Hi Ben. I have the original 10Ah battery in my Leitner Berlin bike and in low gear have not encountered a hill that it cannot climb. I would expect the larger capacity battery to perform the same. On gravel you may get wheel spin on a hill. If you need to walk the bike up use the throttle to propel it along at walking speed.

Leitner   DM

Dear Ben, Thanks for you message. Berlin Cruiser comes with a 250W motor which allows you to use Pedal assistance mode (5 levels) to assist you uphill depending on how much assistance you need. The capacity of the battery will give you a different range in distance per charge, not more power. However, if you require more power, for example, if you use highest level of assistance during your ride, it will drain your battery quicker. Hope this clears things up for you. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact our team at sales@leitner.com.au . Thank you!

Jim F. · Berlin

Is it possible to have a test ride of a super T in Perth WA?

Leitner   DM

Hi Jim F, thanks for your message. Please contact our customer service team on sales@leitner.com.au for further information.
We are an online business and do not have shops or showrooms for test rides. You can check out our ambassador program and see if there is one near your area at external link  . Than you and we look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for the reply, I'll look for an ambassador in my area. Cheers Jim

Mick S.
Mick S. · Berlin

How much are the Berlin cruises mud gards

Leitner   DM

Hi Mike, Rear mudguard for Berlin Cruiser is $25 plus postage. Note that prices are subject to change at any time. Please contact our customer service team via sales@leitner.com.au if you have any other questions. Thank you! Regards,

john  jenkins
john jenkins · Berlin

motor makes sort of dry moaning noise when assisting only done 200k.is this normal?

Bob in Pennsylvania
Bob in Pennsylvania

Mine did the same thing. Did not seem to affect performance in any way. Loved the bike.
Never gave me any issues. Unfortunately had to trade up to an ebike available in the US. Leitner dumped us during Covid and could not get a new battery.

Leitner   DM

Hi John, Some noise from the motor is normal. If you record the sound coming from the motor, and email it to us at sales@leitner.com.au, we may be able to advise you on if your noise is normal or not. Thanks! Regards, Leitner Team

Annie
Annie

We bought 2 Berlins, haven't done heaps of hours yet. There is definitely some noise from the motor, but they work perfectly. We absolutely love the bikes!

Leitner   DM

Dear Annie, Thanks for your message and feedback. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying your bikes. Normal operational noise from the motor core is normal and it shouldn't be loud at all. If you hear any clicking or clunking noise, it may be something else such as loose spoke or other parts being loose. Please contact our customer service team on sales@leitner.com.au if you have any concern. Thank you! Regards,

Bec H.
Bec H. · Berlin

I am 99 percent sure this is the bike for me however, I am concerned about the waterproof conversation.Can I ride this bike in the rain and on dirt roads?

Mick R.
Mick R.

No it is not good fore the rain

Leitner   DM

Dear Bec, Thanks for your interest in the Berlin Cruiser. The bike is water resistant to an extend but not waterproof. We do not recommend to ride it in the rain or wet conditions. If you get caught in the rain, we suggest to seek shelter immediately. If there is any issues with the bike after being ridden in wet conditions, we recommend to dry the bike and get in touch with us. We will be able to assist you further. Riding in dirt road is fine, but keeping your bike clean and free of moisture would be ideal by wipe clean with damp cloth. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact our customer service team at sales@leitner.com.au or 1300 856 725. Thank you!

StevenL
StevenL · Berlin

Hi,
I am keen to get 2 ebikes. May I know where are the bikes made?

Ronan Hume
Ronan Hume

I believe they are put together in factory in Dandenong Sth, Vic. I love my cruiser.

Leitner   DM

Hi Steven, Our bikes are assembled in China using parts manufactured in different countries internationally, e.g. Samsung battery cells, which are manufactured in Korea. If you'd like to place an order, please visit our online store at external link , or email us at sales@leitner.com.au. Regards, Leitner Team

Black909
Black909 · Berlin 10Ah

Hi. The Pedal assist on my Berlin Cruiser goes from low to high when pressing the (+) button but does not decrease in power at all when pressing the (- ) button. I need to switch the battery off if I need it to start at "low" again. Could the actual pedal assist, now become faulty after all this time. Does anyone else have / had this issue? If so, how was it rectified? Thanks. Gary.

Mark · Berlin

Has anyone changed their handle bars on the Berlin Cruiser? I love the bike, but would feel more comfortable with a wider handle bar. Has anyone done this, and if so what did you change to.

Benjamin H.
Benjamin H. · Berlin

Has anyone had experience in waterproofing the Berlin? Rode it after rainfall and lots of water splashed up and I was panicked the whole way home. Opened the controller housing and a tiny amount of water had entered it!

Mark

Hi Ben, I have been too frightened to ride mine even if it looks like rain! I just had a look at mine and thought I suppose sealant could be used around the control box and connections, But I think the biggest worry would be water seeping under the battery and touching the contacts. I dont think i would risk it myself.

Greg R.
Greg R. · Berlin

Does the bike have thermal rollback protection or anything else to assist in preventing the motor from burning out when going up hills?

Megan
Megan · Berlin

Hi, how much does the Venice model weigh with & without the battery? Asking for a client who is interested in an ebike but needs to consider their ability to lift it on and off a rack.

Mark

Hello Megan. According to the Leitner website, the Venice Cruiser weighs 22kg without the battery. The battery weighs 3kg. Cheers

Leitner   DM

Dear Megan, Thanks for your message.
Mark is right. The Venice is 22kg without the battery and 25kg with the battery. If you hav any questions, please contact our team at 1300 856 725 or via email at sales@leitner.com.au

C.Lacey
C.Lacey · Berlin

when will you have stock of the Venice Cruiser?

Leitner   DM

Hi, thanks for your message. Venice Cruiser will be available again Early December. If you are interested, please contact our friendly customer service team on 1300 856 725 or send us an email at sales@leitner.com.au to secure your bike. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you soon! Regards,

Cindy H.
Cindy H. · Berlin

How fast do they go and how long does battery last

Hi Cindy
I have the larger capacity battery (16ah)
I can achieve 26 km per hour easily with battery assist.
On the flat with moderate pedal power it is easy to achieve 30 to 35.
The minimum battery life I have achieved is about 60 km.
The normal battery life is about 80 to 90 km

Regards

Leitner   DM

Dear Cindy, Thanks for your message. The Berlin Cruiser has a 250W motor and you can reach up to 25km/hr on pedal assistance mode. 10Ah battery will give you a range between 20-50km and 16Ah battery will give you 32-80km. This depends on the load on the bike, amount of assistance required, condition of trip, wind factor and etc. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact our friendly customer service team on 1300 852 725 or email at sales@leitner.com.au. Regards,

Leitner   DM

Dear Robert, Thanks for your assistance and your information regarding to Cindy's questions.
We hope you are enjoying your bike and let us know if you have any questions.

Douglas L.
Douglas L. · Berlin

I cannot remove the battery from my leitner bike the key will only turn anticlockwise to remove key position where do I go from here,tried wd40 and many turns and positions?

Leitner   DM

Dear Douglas, Thanks for your message.
Please contact our friendly staff on 1300 856 725 or send us an email at sales@letiner.com.au for further assistance. If this is the first time you are removing the battery from the bike, it may be abit stiff. Please turn the key anti clockwise twice, and then lift the handle on the battery up to remove it from the bike. Hope this helps. We look forward to hear from you.

Geoff
Geoff · Berlin

Has anyone been able to fit a rack to a Leitner CrossX? There are several mounting points and I don't mind modifying the rack, just not sure which type of rack to start with.

Leitner   DM

Hi Geoff, Thanks for your message. We have reports from customers recommending to rear rack that attaches to the seat post. You may wish to look into this. Hope this helps. Thank you and let us know if you have any questions. Regards,

Ivan W
Ivan W · Berlin

I have had mountain cross x for 3 days and love it exceeds my expectations the speedometer won't record above 25km even down hill when I am going a lot faster can that be altered to be more accurate I know the assistance stops at 25

Leitner   DM

Dear Ivan, thanks for your message. Please contact Leitner team at sales@leitner.com.au and we will be able to send you instructions to set your LCD display to allow speed reading over this limit. Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you. Regards,
Leitner team

Get an answer from our members and Leitner representatives

Select a listing for your question
Leitner Berlin

Extra Information

ProductReview.com.au award logo

Leitner Berlin is a ProductReview.com.au Awards Winner for 2024, 2021. Learn more

300x600