4Lexus RX

Lexus RX Questions & Answers

Brand Manager for Lexus? Claim your listing.
Ian OF
Ian OF · RX AL10 RX 450h (2009-2015)

Does any reader have experience of towing caravan with a 2013 Lexus RX450h? Do I need to add anything to the Lexus tow bar or electrics. Can I/do I need to strengthen the rear suspension with, for eg, air bags in springs? Tow weight is only 1500kgs but there are small vans within that limit, including water, clothes etc. does towing put too much strain on the batteries and transmission? Wetravel light, like the freedom of camping, are too old for tents and hate the eating out that accompanies motel life. Regards, Ian

Ferrec N.
Ferrec N. · RX XU30 (2003-2008)

I just bought a used 2008 Lexus RX350 with 73,000 km on it. I read somewhere online that this 2GR-FE engine has a rubber oil cooler line. It is recommended to replace it with a metal oil cooler line and VVT-i line. I went to the Lexus dealership today (Lexus Sydney City Waterloo, Australia). I asked them to replace the metal oil cooler line for my car. But after inspecting my car, the dealer said it didn't need to be replaced because it wasn't leaking. Has anyone changed it themselves or by an independent mechanic? What is the cost?

StevenL
StevenL

I think the Lexus mechanic is right-don't replace unless it leaks. Most engines that start to leak are those that have done more than 200,000km and your isn't anywhere near that mark. I'd say keep an eye for any oil leaks and if that happens try to get a Toyota service centre to quote. From what I have seen, it shouldn't be too expensive, probably under $500 parts and labour.

Seb
Seb · RX

Will 2005 rx330 front seats fit my 2006 rx350.

Josie · RX

Hi. Never had a luxury car...have old Mazda 6 wagon up to 230000There is 2008 Lexus RX400H Hybrid MHU38R for sale for around 12000. Over 200000 kms. Looks gorgeous but are is too high and what about the battery? What should I look for? Josie

Harry

If you have a lot of money , you wont have it for long. If you do ANY country driving , dont consider. These are a nightmare as ONLY toyota dealers will work on them. Battery life for this vehicle is now overdue. New batteries expect $8000 bill at least. Reconditioned batteries $2000 plus but will fail inside of 2yrs. All in all , stay with your mazda, you will love your lexus for a very short time.

Josie

Harry...great answer. I was briefly deluded by a leather interior. Thanks !

Harry

Rule of thumb for any hybrid or electric. Buy new and sell as warranty dies. The fuel saving must be weighed up with the resale value loss. Sadly lexus cars are slaughtered by labour costs on all repairs. Most parts are reasonable . But to fit them requires 3 blokes a hoist and a computer readout. Some parts are fair enough. I just had a fuel pump go. $120 for an ebay version. $190 for an original. $320 labour to fit a pump that on any other car is simple. After driving for 1000km pump failed again. Replaced free of charge by my mechanic, who is very fair. Replaced with a second faulty pump. The 320 labour cost was looking good at this point. Unfortunately that is the equation. Pay the money , ride in a great car until the next issue which WILL come

GARY  Birkwood
GARY Birkwood · RX XU30 (2003-2008)

I read that the transmission can suddenly come t life’s when foot is on the brake and shoot forward Is this common

Eds
Eds · RX

How much is the annual service cost for MY2016+ RX 350 Fsport?

Ay

Lexus Dealer will charge around $500 just for oil,oil filter+cabin air filter and labour.

Sometimes they offer you carbon cleaning to remove deposit $100

And steam your aircon system with fogging around $80.

Milord

My 2012 RX 350 Prestige which I took to an non-Lexus servicing garage cost me between $500 to $550 per year. The servicing books for a general service at your average Lexus dealership will range outside of the warranty period between $800 and $1500 depending on how many kilometres your car has accumulated.

However, because of COVID-19, the pricing may vary more upwards, though it depends on where you are located. In Sydney, it should vary much; but if you're located in the regions such as myself, it will go up.

CZCZCZ · RX

2020 Lexus RX350 Sport Luxury, How much should i pay for ?>

Ay

Brand new $90k driveaway is a max.

Thanks for the answer, but dealer wont back down from 100k

Milord

You do realise that "Sports Luxury" is the top-of-the-line right? It generally starts from Luxury to F-Sport to Sports Luxury; though from time to time you do get some different editions; e.g. Craft.

If the vehicle is ex-demo; you should be paying between $85K to $90K; the Hybrid equivalent for the RX 450h will sell around $120K.

You should wait around December 2020 to early quarter of 2021 for car prices to plummet; it is a no brainer, if you have not done so yet; just wait. That dealer will be at your mercy when it crashes.

CZCZCZ

thanks, we got it around 90k with some accessories. I think that’s pretty good deal

James R
James R · RX XU30 (2003-2008)

Hello all,
Can the interior av system be upgraded to the sat nav version on XU30 rx330

Thanks and kind regards

Sorin
Sorin · RX

I had bought a Lexus 2004 RX 330 just yesterday and would like to know if the running/ Service costs in this car are expensive. Is the boot expensive to fix as the door does not close correctly after pressing the button from the back

A beautiful nightmare
A beautiful nightmare · RX

I would like to hear an honest opinion on the Lexus RX (2007-2010) as I am looking to buy one. After my last car, BMW X5, had problem upon problem I am looking for as much information on the RX's as I possibly can so I do not make the same mistake.

Michael
Michael

The body Lexus RX is bigger . I feel relax at the seats, the engine is very good and the car run smoothly. we do the car service once a year, RX350 is good as same as RX270.
RAE sale manager, in Sydney City Lexus help me to buy a good car with the discount
price.
So far, We are very happy with this car. Michael

Amanda Ng
Amanda Ng

We went for the RX450H as it's a hybrid. Great efficiency and smooth drive. Has heaps of features. Being a front wheel drive, the turning radius is not as good as the X5.. overall smaller car, small boot.. but absolutely a good car to drive.

Robbot
Robbot · RX XU30 (2003-2008)

I want to tow a 1300kg pop top caravan with my 2006 lexus rx350 does anyone have experience or advice thanks

Fired Up
Fired Up

Yes. Check the manual to see if the car can take the weight

Richard M
Richard M · RX

Considering purchasing a 2015 nx200t what are pros and cons of this auto?

Kimmy
Kimmy · RX

Hi There

I am confused as to what model to get,I have Three children 16,14 and 10.

Will the nx be big enough?? soon the 16 year old will be on her own way (driving).

Is the rx 6 cylinder thirsty for around town?

Should I go hybrid in either Nx or RX???

TONY
TONY

Hi Kimmy

The RX450H consumes around 9lt/100 around city, traffic jam and start/stop due to using electricity (under 40km/hr and not push too hard). On freeway, will be around 8.5lt/100km as it uses its big engine (3.6Lt V6).

It’s more expensive to buy and run than NX300h but it’s bigger, heavier and feel “safer”. We bought this car because we have 2 young kids (3&7) and have a big and massive child seats, I like the firm and present of the car when we are on freeway to holiday.

In your case: since your kids are much older, no child seats, most likely use for city runs then I suggest go with NX300h F-Sport: light, nimble, cheaper to buy and run.

It’s best you go to Lexus dealer, test drive both to see which one you like: both on feeling, technologies and value for money. Get few quotes to get the cheapest deal. Get back to me with the car you like and cheapest written quote, I will try to get a better deal for you through my contact with Lexus dealer (i’m not in associate with them in anyway, just try to help you out).

Good luck with car hunting and hope my answer helps in someway.

P/S: have you look at Volvo XC60 and XC90?

MOJOMA · RX AL20

Thinking of buying RX450 sport luxury, but cannot find too much honest opinions. How much are services? Has anyone had any major issues with this model?

TwinkleX
TwinkleX

Hi,

My car is RX350 so I can't give you the direct feedback but I did test drive RX450. It was quiet and stop-and-go function was smooth as well. The shift change was smooth as well. Before my current car, my cars were VW (14 years of Polo, Golf and Tiguan). I'm very happy with Lexus RX350 but it lacks power IMO. But it's perfect for city drive.

I don't know the cost of service as the first service is free for all Lexus and I have free service for 4 years...

Sorry I can't be much help...

thank you TwinkleX.

Justin
Justin

Hi there, ours is two years old and we just had the 24 month service completed at our Lexus dealer - we were quoted up to $745.00 by them for that particular service, which was fine. When we picked the vehicle up, the cost was only $614.50 - so that was a pleasant surprise - as was the entire service experience with them including use of a brand new NX Fsport for the day (as part of the encore privileges thing) and a small hamper of chocolate and nuts and things aswell, a nice touch not to mention the car was immaculately cleaned inside and out - ours is an RX 350 FSport, not the hybrid, so not sure if servicing costs are any higher due to the different drivetrain/battery banks etc - not sure.

We also had VWs before the Lexus (Golf GTi MK6 and a Golf R Mk 7) and servicing costs were on average $350-$450 each time so not 'heaps' more for the Lexus - I really think it's a myth that Lexus cars are expensive to service !!?

Great cars though, you'll love it !!

MOJOMA

So good to hear that the quality service does not have cost a fortune. What dealership were you serviced by?

jacob
jacob · RX AL10 (2009-2015)

I am looking to buy a RX350 and should I be considering Sports Luxury variant over Prestige for any reason?

Hi Jacob,

I am guessing you're looking at buying a 2014 slash 2015 model? Because Prestige series does not exist after 2015. I've sat in a RX 350 F-Sport which a colleague at work just bought as well as my boss was driving an F-Sport RX450H which was a borrow for fixing his LX 570.

The Sports Luxury variant... actually irrelevant to whether its a current 2016 model (ugly looking) or not, is regarded as "top-of-the-line" which means you get everything (all options).

The Prestige in the Pre-2015 models are the entry-level variations, especially that my 2012 RX-350 is a Prestige series; and that the only things that are different compared to say an F-Sport or Sports Luxury in this case; are significant. I had to pay for rear parking sensors whereas the Sports Luxury edition has front and rear; has sunroof as standard; different alloys; Mark Levinson stereo system, more function out of those memory seats, heads-up display, upgraded voice command features.... the list goes on and on.

I hope this answers your question.

Milord
Milord · RX AL10 (2009-2015)

I'm not entirely sure if any one irrelevant to how old their RX 350 is, but I recently had mine updated to Version 20 where I bought directly from the dealership.

My problem, is the stupid Satellite Navigation system that just does not seem to shut up. Those that want to drive to Sorrento for example, can just jump onto Eastlink and continue until you reach the new freeway/highway that you end up veering to the left to continue your journey. I forget what name, but in any case, once the the car hits this new section; it keeps saying a sentence that includes the words "turn-by-turn guidance is unavailable due to incomplete data".

What I've had to do is to turn the voice off? Has any one else experienced something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Milord

Yes I'm answering my own question.

I found out about a month later when in fact the DVD player for the satellite navigation is actually located underneath the transmission tunnel; to be more precise the front secondary storage space. There is a black plastic cover where you either use your finger nails or a flat-head screw driver and it will pop out.

Thus allowing you direct access to the drive to unload the old one and load the new disc.

I did mine with the car in pre-ignition mode, otherwise there won't be any power to unload the old disc if turned completely off.

Prabakar
Prabakar

Bila
Bila · RX

I own rx 330 2004 my transmission is bit jerky when shifting.Is it a common thing, thanks?

Aaron74
Aaron74

Not a common problem. You should have your transmission checked by a lexus dealer. They'll be a little more expensive but will diagnose the problem quicker. Hope this helps.

John Alexander
John Alexander · RX

My RX 350 has developed a problem with the engine coils failing. Already 3 of them have failed and replaced. I was told that in some cars the failure of the engine coil is frequent. Any reasons for it ?

Hi John,

Hmm, I have yet to experience that sort of failure on mine despite 2.5 years of ownership for a 2012 model. What year is yours?

brian
brian

It could be the computer problem in which it's sending different signals towards the coils or it could be that they are just quickly manufactured / what you could try is possibly put some aftermarket coils in there using a workshop of ultratune @ they are literally experts at diagnosis and repairs of faults in vehicles though there is a dynotune specialist workshop are even better though they would be harder to find

Karen6152
Karen6152 · RX

Can. 3 baby seats fit in the back of the RX 350 2008 model?

anthonyvass
anthonyvass

We have a 2010 model RX 350. But if it would help I can check out our model when I get home tonight.

Select a listing for your question
Lexus RX

Extra Information

Brand Manager for Lexus? Claim your listing.