Makes a good first impression

My relatively old 420l Westinghouse suddenly started tripping circuit breakers and I thought that I might downsize. I had a brief look at this model at a retailer and I had it home working within a day. So there wasn't a lot of research done, and I didn't look at alternatives.

So here are the first impressions:

1. It cost roughly the same as my old Westinghouse and like a lot of modern white goods, the fridge is certainly lighter and feels less durable. The shelves are glass like the old fridge but the construction relies more on plastic, which is not unexpected. The reality is this fridge is one of the cheaper fridges when you consider the fridge universe and while the Westinghouse was middle of the market 15 years ago at $800, there are a lot of more expensive fridges around, with a lot more bells and whistles. Generally speaking, it looks ok.

2. Added extras. If you like your ice or eggs, this fridge is decidedly primitive. I would argue that LG kept it that way on purpose to retain a selling point for the more expensive fridges. An 8 egg holder is a curious thing. The ice tray seems an afterthought in an area at the top of the freezer. I'm sure they could have done better.

3. Relative size of freezer. I wanted a bigger freezer in a smaller fridge and surprisingly, I got it. The 420l Westinghouse was noticeably smaller. If you dont use freezers much, then look elsewhere.

4. If I was to downsize 130L and I have a bigger freezer, then something's got to give and the size of the fridge area is quite "compact". Having said that, I managed to get all my sauce bottles etc into the door. The greatest problem seems to be that the main shelf in the door is the only area where you can store tall things upright. I couldnt put a litre container of milk in the main section - even with spacing the shelves as wide apart as possible. Bottles of wine will have to go in the door or be laid down on glass in the fridge proper - I'm not a big fan of laying anything down. Of course, you can remove a shelf, but that will only highlight the lack of storage. Once again, if your a beer or wine drinker and dont use freezers much, then go elsewhere.

5. I have read some reviews mentioning noise but I haven't heard anything from it. Nothing.

6. I was worried about the door warning which everyone seems to mention. However, I didnt mind it. It's not a problem. It beeps once and then beeps a few more times later if the door remains open.

7. There appears to be a "hump" area in the door return. This means that the door doesnt naturally close itself. I dont know why this has been done. I might try to jack up the front a bit more but the "hump" is fairly pronounced, so I might be hearing more of that door warning.

8. There appears to be a heat exchanger on the roof (top). I was surprised to see it. Some people like putting things on fridges. I used to put the bread up there. How does this affect cleaning?

9. The crisper is definitely a lot smaller but it's location is just a treat. In fact, I used to loose old tomatoes in the old one. The way the LG showcases fruit and veg and is probably the highlight of the upside down format.

10. The use of shelving in the freezer is very different from a traditional freezer. I like it. I had been trying to stack things up in the old one but its far easier with the use of shelving.

11. Handles on the doors are a mixed bag. The freezer one is ok, but the main door has it at the top - to allow for the door to be switched to the left. I dont like it. If you're tiny, think about this feature. I might just need retraining but this fridge is quite tall and I dont think that I will ever like reaching up.

Overall, this fridge suits me because of the upside-down format. While it has meant a 25% reduction in size, I like the greater emphasis on freezer space. I like the fact that the main food section is right in front of you when you open the door. It improves access and effectively increases storage space.

I judge a fridge by reliability, reliability and reliability. I love it so far but if it has problems, the love affair will quickly wane.

Purchased in April 2019 for $670.00.

Noise Level
Internal Layout
Household Size 1 person(s)
I have one correction to my review. I stated that I heard nothing from the fridge. A few days later, I can now say that I hear a "motor noise" of about 3 seconds duration quite regularly. It is low level. In time, I think my brain will come to ignore it but it is there. It sounds almost like a servo motor adjustment. I am running the fridge on a slightly colder setting than the "normal" initial setting. It may happen after a few fridge openings, as I was sitting down having breakfast about 2 metres from the fridge. The issue about the space between the shelving continues to annoy but greater access to the back of shelves because of their raised level, means that food at the back of shelving is more accessible than in regular shelves. Consequently in a peculiar way, I almost feel that I have more fridge room even though the space must only be half.

Vegetables drawer useless

I like this fridge and had the previous model for 15 years trouble free.
I don’t like having to remove the vegetables drawer completely to remove lid. It is frustrating. I contacted LG to see if I had installed incorrectly without any joy they were useless.
Fridge is quite and functional so far but the vegetable drawer is a problem.
Unfortunately I bought online so I suppose it is my bad.

Purchased in February 2019 at The Good Guys for $736.00.

Noise Level
Internal Layout
Household Size 1 person(s)

Avoid this fridge

I do not recommend this fridge. For a supposedly “quiet” fridge, it makes a lot of noise. The good news, in a good
hour, I got approx. 30 mins of quiet but then the noise starts. You can check the noises on the LG website (https://www.lg.com/us/support/product-help/CT10000021-20150292153479-other-noise). But beware : LG Customer Support have advised in writing that my fridge is not defective so the website lies: in particular, listen to the “Damper” sound which is a 4-5 second piercing beep that goes off a minimum of twice an hour and up to 5 times (not once an hour as LG clearly state).

LG and their Customer Support should be ashamed of this fridge and their behaviour with my attempt to claim under the warranty. They have lied and the last one even laughed at me. I’m going to donate this fridge to charity before I take a sledge hammer to it like those chaps who get sold a lemon second hand car (only owned it 4 months).

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Great at keeping your food fresh!

Fridge has been the best one I have ever had... It lets you set the fridge compartment to 1c unlike most fridges that are preset to 4c, the result is that I have been keeping milk longer and it stays fresh, the fruit and veg all seem to do a lot better at 1c. The other thing you will notice is the doors and walls are a lot thicker and full of insulation so once its to temperature it really efficient to run. Only thing I would change is the Door alarm is totally useless as I like to look at the food and decide but I run out of time..

Please LG in the future at least have the option to shut door alarm off, other then that great job.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Great price, very low power consumption

This is an extremely energy efficient fridge, rated at using only 280kwh per year. The price and features are incredibly good value compared to other similar products. The door can be adjusted to left or right opening. Perfect for use on a stand-alone solar power system, or anyone who is energy conscious.

LOVE my fridge!!

Temperature is extremely reliable and constant. The ratio of fridge/freezer space is perfect. Uses very little electricity. No sore back from bending over into fridge - easy drawers that make getting anything out easy. Keeps vegetables fresh in the crisper. Perfect functionality and very stylist. Also purchased for a very reasonable price.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Highly efficient, elegant.

Bought this fridge after much researching. It was the most energy efficient one we could find, and it certainly has proved to be that. Amazingly, despite its low energy use, it keeps everything at a constant perfect temperature. Vegetables have LONG lives in this fridge! I love the layout, too. The freezer being on the bottom, being the least used compartment in my household, has proven to be very ergonomic and convenient. A very well designed fridge, I think: this is also evident in the lack of prominent handles (they’re sunk into the side, not the front) which makes the whole thing very sleek. My favourite feature is the Eco Friendly mode which we turn on when we go on vacation - keeps the food that you leave in there at a safe temperature, but uses even less power. Least favorite is probably the beeping that it emits when you leave the door open too long. Makes loading groceries in a little annoying sometimes. Otherwise, great fridge for sure.

Very quite fridge

It's a fantastic fridge for 2-3 people. It's very quiet, easy to clean and keep food fresh, 5 stars energy. it's roomy enough and Freezer is also big enough for a lot of meats, ice creams. If you have a small family I would highly recommend this one and it looks good. It looks modern and does not occupy much space.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Cheers to our new fridge!

This replaced my smaller 10yr old whirlpool about 6months ago. It went great for the first week, noticibly cooler drinks in the door then overnight it became room temperature in both fridge and freezer but the light was on and the motor definitely still working. LG customer service quickly sent a service agent who found a refrigerant leak and fixed it under warranty as a manufacturing fault. It has been running like a Dream since!
It fits in a slim space in our kitchen.
It makes slightly more noise than the whirlpool, occasional gurgling sound which the manual says is normal.
It looks flash and expensive inside&out.
It has well planned shelving and compartments in both fridge and freezer with ample space for 2 or 3 people. Fits large bottles in the door shelf.
I really like the freezer at the bottom.
Door alarm is a bit annoying.
Very low power consumption.
Over all I'm extremely happy with it.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
LG also generously reimbursed for the lost food when the leak happened, although it took about 8 weeks for the funds to reach me.

Happy with this fridge

I bought this fridge when my 18 year old Westinghouse decided to call it a day. It is the perfect size for a one person household. I have no complaints about its performance so far. It seems to be quiet in its operation and is easy to clean. The temperature control is good in both the fridge and freezer.

A good fridge for 2-3 people

It's a fantastic fridge for 2-3 people. It's very quiet, easy to clean and keep food fresh. it's roomy enough and can hold 4 -5 cartons of milk. Freezer is also big enough for a lot of meats, icecreams. If you have a small family I would highly recommend this one and it looks good. Because it's slim and will fit in small homes too.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Good value - annoying door alarm is only complaint.

Love the layout of the fridge (big freezer section, almost a half half). Its efficient and does what its meant to. The alarm for when you've left the door open too long can be VERY annoying when you're trying to figure out what to cook!!! Pretty small complaint overall - good value for the price.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Super Efficient Fridge

We have a tiny fridge alcove due to a badly designed kitchen and this fridge was able to squeeze right in. I like its design with the freezer on the bottom as it means the food part is at a better height. Its so efficient! We put it on the electricity meter and it drew almost no power when running. The interior has well though out adjustable shelves and works very well. I like this fridge!

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great product

Very happy with this appliance, maintains a steady temperature. We have the freezer on the coolest setting and it's amazing how quickly it freezes items. Lots of room in both compartments and easy to remove the shelves for cleaning, it's not a loud appliance, very happy with the overall performance

Date PurchasedAug 2017

LG's Low Running Cost Fridge

I purchased one of these recently , it knocked off at least $100 dollars from my electricity bill.
It doesn't hold a great deal and would not suit a family of 3-4 but it would suit a couple in a unit, for those like me that now shop regularly it's really good and economical since I now consume food rather than store my groceries for long periods
The unit has an eco setting and remote diagnostics ability , the freezer on the bottom is very good and has 3 good size compartments , the top half is adequate and easy to see and reach everything. and the vege compartment is sufficient for about 1 weeks food , I give it an 8/10

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Well designed product from LG

I was looking for a narrow fridge so that it can fit into my kitchen space for fridge. So bought it. To be honest, it's amazing with it's cooling facility. Can't fault it at all.
It's so reliable and working excellent so far good without any issues. Previous had haier fridge which was bit noisy , but this is really silent and works perfectly well.
So recommend this product to all.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Awesome slim fridge

I needed to purchase a narrow and low profile fridge to fit into a relatively small space. The fridge has quite a small depth but still has enough room inside. Three fridge shelves, a vege crisper and three freezer drawers.

Keeps cool, is pretty quiet, although I can hear it running if there's no other background noise, but not obtrusively.

Looks neat and modern.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Well product. Easy to install and easy to use.

It does maintain a good temperature in all compartments. It is very quite. Very easy to clean.
It very easy to install. All the compartments are very clear and specific. The temperature is very stable.
The only one thing is not big enough for 3 people . A little bit small

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Great Fridge

We purchased this fridge because it is one of the top rated candidates of such size.

Very reliable, since it has been running smoothly for a year, and never had a problem. Quiet and the eco mode helps to save energy. However, we haven't tried the door reversal kit yet, so we don't know how easy it is.

Overall, it is a great fridge and highly recommended!

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

What a good quality product

Have had this fridge for over a year now. It has been so reliable, all the features are exactly as described on the specs. It fits perfectly in the space and I honestly cannot think of a single thing wrong with it. We are a couple who live quite a way from a supermarket, and it's certainly big enough for us. I think it may be an older model now but hope they offer a similar product. Good efficiency.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017