LG Stylus DAB+

LG Stylus DAB+ (page 2 of 2)

MPN: LGK520K

The best of every other phone all in this one.

Drowning my Samsung Note 5 in the first months of a big data 24 month contract, I looked for a cheap contract just for a replacement phone. Snap decision saw me buy this phone, and I couldn't be happier. 12 months later now and I'm still singing it's praises. Light weight. No buttons on the sides AT ALL. Great battery life. Not as powerful as it's predecessor and the camera not as good, but great value in comparison.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Very impressed

Impressed. Purchased for hubby. Screen quality is excellent for price. I've got Galaxy Note 4 and his LG at $700 less, is comparable in many functions (has some mine doesn't too). Can't deny at $270 this is a great phone in size and features. I certainly won't spend almost $1000 again on a Samsung when LG is worth looking at.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Sluggish phone but has DAB albeit hard to receive good quality

Bought it on sale @ Aldi for about $240 mainly for the DAB radio, you need a wired headphone for it to work properly but you still need to have the phone oriented standing up for it to work properly otherwise you will have no signal at all. Tried listening to DAB on the rail network in Sydney, total lost of reception in any tunnels.

Quad 1.2MHz ARM53 Processor is a bit sluggish and paired with and an Adrenon 3## GPU, it is not at all fast.
The 5.7" is seems ok but its only 720P but who plays 1080 content on a phone anyway, still I doubt the processor can handle anything higher.

Stylus is great for scribling out notes but havent found any other great uses or apps for it

Nano/micro SIM, lacks sufficient builtin storage 16GB and 2G of RAM, definitely need a microSD storage.
Supports most of the 4G bands 900,1800,2100 and 2600 but misses out on 700, no VoLTE but works on 3G for voice.
Front camera is 13MP but the quality seems to be poor in bright light and at night the dynamic range of the pics is really poor.
Power button is at the back with volume controls above and beneath it, quite hard to get use to.
Battery life is great, a removable 3000mAh lasts around 3days,
A good basic phone with a poor DAB receiver, if the DAB worked better then maybe a better score.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Great so far

Initially I was worried about the screen being too big. Now I love it. The battery management seems great (after I turned a few things off). I use Opera Mini instead of the built in browser so my data lasts heaps longer. Great camera, although the basic phone app is well, basic. All in all a worthwhile upgrade to my old phone (also an LG).

Date PurchasedDec 2016

A fine idea in theory...but just misses the mark let down by an ordinary phone....

The LG Stylus 2 with DAB+ came to me as a replacement for my Samsung Galaxy S5 which while a fine telephone in its own right, was causing me undue grief and making me sound like a "Dalek" off Dr. Who....

So I thought I would give the LG phone a try.

First thoughts are it is a big phone...seriously big....there is no doubt this one falls smack bang into the "Phablet" class, especially with its built in Stylus for quick note taking..
Bu at 155mm X 80mm it is a hard sell to just slip in unobtrusively into a pocket.

Which brings up its strength and its weakness - the display.

It is a very large screen - a 5.7" screen which is very large and up there with the Apple 6+ (5.5") or the Samsung Note 5 (5.7"). The problem is that the Samsung note 5 has a resolution of 1440
X 2560 pixels the LG is a paltry 720 X 1080 which is a very low resolution screen. Unfortunately the vision on the screen reflects this and it is not a great screen.

Combine that with a phone feature set that at best has this in a low to medium end of the smartphone pool means that some of the desirable features just aren't there. For example there is no 5 GHz wifi which is very unusual and the fact that t here is no ability to share or cast the screen to a radio for example.

Worse than all of this is the phone feels sluggish and it feels a mid spec phone.The processor is a bit old and low spec and it only ships with 1.5 gig of RAM memory where most others are at 3 or 4gig.

The Stylus that ships with the phone is the best feature of the phone. It ships with a mini suite of stylus related apps which are easy and versatile to use. Parts of the phone feel like a poor mans Samsung note....but in reality only the stylus part of it. The rest leaves you wondering what could have been if they had put a decent display on it and give it a bit more oomph. I have had some very frustrating times with it due to the slowness and delay in opening apps and trying to use the phone. Maybe a less demanding person could live with it but I really work my phone hard.

One of the biggest disappointments I had with this phone was I also had several times where it ran out of space and I needed to delete a bunch of apps to free up space - I have been using android since the Samsung Galaxy 1 (7 odd years ago) and this is the first time I have had to do this. Even though it is a 16GB model it only has 10.5 GB of useable memory, which in this world of facebook using 550MB of space is just not enough space. This is after I moved all of the photos to the SD card! There is no option for a 32GB version.

A feature on this phone is the unit ships with a built in digital radio or DAB+ receiver. When using it outdoors and areas where signal quality is no problem it works very well and a real strength of the phone. Where it falls down is when signal strength is no so good - especially in building penetration. Where I work I have to be next to a window with a view to the external world for it to work. Otherwise I get the weak signal alarm and reception is a little patchy. When it is is a good signal area is works very well but it can come across as a bit hit and miss.

The camera looks like its a reasonably high spec but in reality it is just middle of the road. It is let down by slowness to focus and take the shot. Many times I found it was still trying to focus and take a shot and I would miss the shot due to the cameras ability to make it happen. In ideal circumstances where light is good and the camera doesn't have to work too hard...no problem....happy snapper...give it a challenge and I was never that pleased with the results. So a middle of the road - okay, but nothing to write home about.

So overall it is an okay phone with a DAB+ radio built in. The radio part is mostly very good, but in this case let down by being installed in a low to mid feature phone that has just a few too many key features taken out of it, relegating it to somewhat of a novelty - it is a good radio let down by a low spec phone that has been tough to live with.

I have just moved to a Samsung Galaxy S7 and the difference could not be more dramatic. Review of that to follow in a while.

Date PurchasedApr 2016