Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash

Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash (page 5 of 6)

Pros

• Leaves mouth fresh

• Plenty of options

• Cost effective

Cons

• Overpowering taste

• Can produce a burning sensation

Hillcrest
Hillcrest

Listerine Original makes your mouth feel fresh, after brushing. The fresh feeling seems to last for ages and you don't get that 'my teeth feel furry' feeling. It sure is strong and does feel like it is blowing your mouth up, but what a way to get rid of germs and have that fresh feeling all day. Far better than the flavoured ones I think, but not for the faint hearted!
Listerine Original is the best of their products. The others taste too sweet and this one does as their commercial shows - practically blows your mouth up, but could any germs exist in there after that? I don't think so!!!
It really is a shock, but you prepare yourself for it and just go for it!

alywent
alywent

Good

I was told by my piercer to buy a bottle of this when I had my tongue pierced to kill any germs and speed the healing process up,I had never used it before so got a real shock the first time I put some in my mouth.It burnt my tongue like crazy and I doubt any germs could have survived if they wanted too,a bit like an atomic bomb.Does what is claims, kills germs and once you become accustomed to the kick its not to bad.Still using it.Freshens the breath.
Well known reputable trusted brand of Mouthwash.Easy grip bottle holds alot.Reasonble Price.
Feels like your mouth is on fire.

izdatsweets
izdatsweets

Good

I like this mouth wash! Now I will have to admit your mouth will feel minty fresh after you are done rinsing but it will also have a slight burning affect for about 3 seconds. Usually I rinse with cold water to cool my mouth. If you are tight in budget don't buy the bigger bottle because that will be too expensive. So go for the smaller one.
Has your mouth feeling very minty freshed!
Your mouth will have a burning sensation for about 3 seconds.
Also the price for this mouth wash is a bit expensive.

melwiz007
melwiz007South Australia

Good

this is great for rinsing your mouth to prevent tooth decay. the flavour is better than some of the other listerine products. It makes your breath feel and smell fresh.
This has a nice fresh breath taste.
If you leave it in your mouth too long the tast gets too strong

Memphis35
Memphis35

Good

A good quality mouth wash as you would expect given that Listerine is the benchmark. Whilst others might be put off by the strength of this mouth wash I think that this is what makes it more effective and leaves my mouth feeling clean and fresh for longer. Some other mouth washes you can barely tell that they are doing anything.
Very effective mouth wash that leaves my breath with a crisp clean feeling. I use it every morning after I brush my teeth.
Depending on how long you like to gargle mouth wash, this one will end up starting to sting your mouth and gums. I personally like that though because it feels as though it is working. It's not exactly cheap.

flutterbyes
flutterbyesNSW, 2213

Overall a great mouthwash that i use every morning after brushing. Leaves your mouth feeling extra clean and fresh. Love the strong minty taste of this one but it can sting if you have a cut or the like on your gums. If you don't like a very strong minty flavour then this one is not for you. I love using this cause i feel as if i am doing every bit extra i can to ensure good dental health and hygiene in between dentist visits.
Strong minty flavour
Can be a little too strong if used for too long! A little pricey.

JayJay868
JayJay868Victoria, 3724

Good

I have been using Listerine products on and off over the years. This "CoolMint" variety seems to be better, and I find the mint is not as harsh (because it's usually pretty damn strong to say the least!). Using this product seems to have helped with my dental hygiene although it's always a bit hard to tell. Although I am pretty certain it helps and would recommend this product, or any other Listerine product.
Leaves a refreshing taste in the mouth. Seems to work in assisting with dental hygiene.
Bit pricy for a sweet-tasting alcohol wash but dental products usually are expensive.

emailpip
emailpipVIC, 3146

Good

since this product has been on the market - i have switched to it as i was never very good at gargling with the minty flavours ... solved my problem and now I am much better at sticking to my rotuine and using mouthwash because it is no longer an unpleasant experience.

Even though I no longer use the minty flavour - it still reduces the bad breath and plaque build up as you'd expect. Worth a try if you have an adversion to the minty flavour like me!
does not give you the feeling you have just sucked back a case of breath mints!
lovely non mint flavour
nothing to dislike

eileen.mcentee
eileen.mcenteeACT, 2902

This listerine citrus is great, its not harsh and doesn't feel like its burning your mouth like other mouth washes. It doesn't have that long minty after taste, It just leaves your mouth feeling clean and fresh. I recommend this one.
Doesn't burn your mouth

bunnimon
bunnimon

Good

Just like the ads that show the explosions in the mouth you really can feel this mouthwash working. The Citrus Fresh is not as strong tasting as the mint and although I sometimes experience a slight heat or tingling in my mouth after using and my partner complained about this I have found that it passes with daily use. We both agreed that this feeling was a lot less with the Citrus though. I personally believe that the tingling is the effect of getting rid of germs in your mouth, and it is easily counteracted by rinsing your mouth with water. There is no lingering after taste and the effect is long lasting.
Keeps my breath fresh all day and leaves my mouth feeling clean.

muthat_emo
muthat_emoAustralia

Good

listerine citrus fruit is quite impressive. it makes my mouth feel fresh and isnt all that strong either so i dont end up crying after i've gargled.. i like it alot better than the original version as its DEFINETELY alot friendlier and i use it basiscally everyday. it's really great! the only thing is it contains alcohol so i think too much use will cause dryness to the mouth but overall i think its a really great product =)
keeps mouth feeling fresh, doesnt burn! feels great. great quality product and i totally recommend to use it!!!
absolutely nothing!!

doublecurl
doublecurlSydney, NSW

Good

I am a big fan of the Listerine products. They live up to their expectations. This flavour is my least favourite. I don't like the taste but other than that it is great. Keeps my mouth feeling clean and fresh all day long. The big bottles are value for money as they keep for a long time
Keeps mouth feeling clean and fresh
Ugly taste

Vespera
Vespera

Good

I find that the Listerine Citrus Fresh Mouthwash has a nicer taste than the other ones, and looks more appealing. The orange colour perhaps? Doesn't 'burn' as much as the other mouthwashes, although this leaves a slight tingly feeling behind. It's a pleasant feeling though, and reminds you that you actually have a really clean mouth. However, the slight tingly feeling may make your mouth feel slightly warm, which isn't very pleasant on really hot days.
A lot better tasting than the original mouthwash, especially compared to mint and tartar control.
Nothing, except maybe the cost. However, it's worth it! Maybe a slightly heated mouth feeling?

eekaaron
eekaaron

Good

this is way better than the original listerine. i use it everyday . just make sure you don't swallow it as it contains alchahol and you might get drunk and do something. if its your first time trying mouthwash, i suggest you use this product as it is really good. it doesn't sting and burn like the original solution and its worth a try.
it feels great and after you finish with it your mouth feels frseh. it doesn't burn so i recommended it. it's a big bottle so it'll last you for a long time.

triciamonaro
triciamonaroQueensland, 4605

Bad

It says it is designed to control tartar but I am not so sure that I have seen proof of this. I find that the listerine product burns my mouth, it did however after wards leave my mouth feeling clean, but I could not handle the burning and stinging sensation that I was experiencing from this product. I also did not like the taste of this product at all.
Mabe controls tartar listerine is a good brand
Price I seem to find that Listerine is a rather expensive product. Listerine also tends to burn and sting my mouth.

Jane J.
Jane J.asked

Does mustering contain chlorhexidine

Andrew F
Andrew Fasked

I stopped using Listerine recently because, in recent times, it started "foaming" when gargled. I recently traveled overseas and thought I'd try the product again. To my astonishment I found that the old, non-foaming product was available. Will Listerine return to the old, non-foaming formula in Australia or will the new, foaming Australian formula be maintained?

Fired Up
Fired Up

Get a friend to ask the company rather than the public

Listerine typically has a high alcohol count, for example the Listerine Original Mouthwash contains 26.9% alcohol as an inactive ingredient. This often leads to an intense burning feeling during use, which is popularised on the Listerine TV ads.

While some people actually enjoy this burning feeling, others would rather do without it, and dislike the effects of alcohol in a mouthwash.

In this case, the ‘Zero’ range of mouthwashes (which includes Listerine Total Care Zero and Listerine Zero) are formulated as zero-alcohol mouthwashes. These have a more subtle flavour than the offerings with alcohol in them.

Seeing as the active ingredients are all essential oils (which are effective antimicrobials), the alcohol isn’t necessary. These essential oils (or parts of essential oils) include eucalyptol, menthol, methyl salicylate and thymol.

CategoryMouthwashes