Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash

Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash

Pros

• Leaves mouth fresh

• Plenty of options

• Cost effective

Cons

• Overpowering taste

• Can produce a burning sensation

Bad

Not good for your mouth at all. Keep up with cleaning and flossing instead. Rinse with water. And smile for life!
Feels like it is really making your mouth clean however......
My dentist reports the ETOH destroys good bacteria and well as bad bacteria and strips the teeth of the flouride you apply with brushing. It also has a drying effect which can cause secondary problems like cracking (hence leads to infections)

reviewmatey
reviewmateyAU

Bad

I developed an allergic reaction toward it.I only used it 2 times a day and still it caused burning inside my mouth and had to spend 2 weeks without eating spicy foods.
Very strong and cleans completelty leaving your tooth and tongue really peppermint fresh
Rumour has it that Listerine can lead to mouth ulcer

Other Mouthwashes

triciamonaro
triciamonaroQueensland, 4605

Bad

It says it is designed to control tartar but I am not so sure that I have seen proof of this. I find that the listerine product burns my mouth, it did however after wards leave my mouth feeling clean, but I could not handle the burning and stinging sensation that I was experiencing from this product. I also did not like the taste of this product at all.
Mabe controls tartar listerine is a good brand
Price I seem to find that Listerine is a rather expensive product. Listerine also tends to burn and sting my mouth.

Mouthwashes

Find out how Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash compares to other Mouthwashes

memeng
memengNot Australia nor New Zealand

Bad

Actually bought it for a totally different purpose: to disinfect the saxophone reeds. Don't like the taste when have to use it for gargling when having a cold and sore throat. Will not be repurchasing this one.
Tartar control and antiseptic.
Taste bad, expensive compared to other brands that work as well.

See all Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash reviews

Jane J.
Jane J.asked

Does mustering contain chlorhexidine

Andrew F
Andrew Fasked

I stopped using Listerine recently because, in recent times, it started "foaming" when gargled. I recently traveled overseas and thought I'd try the product again. To my astonishment I found that the old, non-foaming product was available. Will Listerine return to the old, non-foaming formula in Australia or will the new, foaming Australian formula be maintained?

Fired Up
Fired Up

Get a friend to ask the company rather than the public

Listerine typically has a high alcohol count, for example the Listerine Original Mouthwash contains 26.9% alcohol as an inactive ingredient. This often leads to an intense burning feeling during use, which is popularised on the Listerine TV ads.

While some people actually enjoy this burning feeling, others would rather do without it, and dislike the effects of alcohol in a mouthwash.

In this case, the ‘Zero’ range of mouthwashes (which includes Listerine Total Care Zero and Listerine Zero) are formulated as zero-alcohol mouthwashes. These have a more subtle flavour than the offerings with alcohol in them.

Seeing as the active ingredients are all essential oils (which are effective antimicrobials), the alcohol isn’t necessary. These essential oils (or parts of essential oils) include eucalyptol, menthol, methyl salicylate and thymol.

CategoryMouthwashes