Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash

Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash

Pros

• Leaves mouth fresh

• Plenty of options

• Cost effective

Cons

• Overpowering taste

• Can produce a burning sensation

brian

brian

about average

I used to buy this listerine mouth wash product from the towradgi gold cross chemist nsw and found it worked quite well though it didn't like the fact that the label on the container stated alcohol so I stopped using it / I recommend this product as it works quite well though it did sting a little bit @ not much and it's nothing to worry about really

badboybilly

badboybillyAU

Was oN special so i bought it.

ralphy79

ralphy79

OK

Listerine is a mouthwash and its three uses are to protect against bad breath, plaque build up and gingivites. I’ve triend this product and I feel it is best for removing bad breath and plaque but I have my reservations about using it too often as I don't like the fact it contains ethanol, that sounds a bit too dangerous a chemical to put in my month too much.
Really makes you feel like your teeth and month are clean. Readily available in leading supermarkets.
It contains ethanol which I believe is very dangerous to use too often.

Mouthwashes

Find out how Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash compares to other Mouthwashes

starry_nite

starry_nite

OK

I used to use the coolmint but found that it had a burning sensation. It does leave you with the confidence of that freash breath feeling but my dentist says that if your brush properly it's not really necessary. I have since changed to another brand that is alcohol free.
leaves your breath freash
leaves your mouth dry and burns

Rospat

RospatSouth East Queensland, QLD

OK

I used to use this product regularly,in fact I used it for years as there was little else on the market. I did find that it was reasonable effective although it was very strong and to highly flavoured,and it was necessary to dilute it considerably.I became concerned that it had alcohol content that is supposed to be detremantal to you, also I felt the taste indicated that it could be abrasive on the teeth if used for too long. I believe they have changed the formula now which is good, but there is now a lot more competition out there.I have changed to another brand which is not so strong.
It does what its supposed to do.
Very strong,too highly flavoured

mzluvinkhim

mzluvinkhim

OK

Listerine leaves your mouth feeling very clean and fresh and also smelling great. i did find that compared with other products that Listerine is a lot stronger and can sometimes burn your mouth.
very strong it leaves your mouth smelling fresh
i found the cool mint too be a bit too strong

lingaz

lingazPerth, WA

OK

For those who love a clean feeling in their mouth, I'd recommend. For those that are aesthetically conscious, you may want to use another product.
This is a fantastic mouthwash and it actually feels like your mouth is being cleansed - unlike some other mouthwashes that claim to clean, but appear to only be minty flavoured water. If you enjoy a clean sensation in your mouth, this is the product to go for.
I wish they came up with a non-coloured version of this product, I feel that sometimes my teeth temporarily go a bluish tint. I've slowed down my use of Listerine because of fear that my teeth will become discoloured.

sherri

sherriVic, 3802

OK

A good product, leaves your mouth feeling frsh, although can also dry your mouth out. Expensive, not sure it does any better a job than some of the cheaper products, to tell the truth.
This leaves a fresh clean taste in your mouth. It at least feels as if it is doing you some good. It comes in a range of 'flavours', for want of a better word. Also different sized bottles are available.
It can be a bit strong, depending on which variety you buy. It is also mega expensive. I also find it makes my mouth feel fresh at first but within a short time, my mouth feels dry and I have that thirsty' feel, without really being thirsty.

qestra

qestra

OK

i have read and heard that new research has shown that mouth washes that contain a large amount of alcohol have been linked recently with cancer of the mouth so although this product does seem quite good, it tastes OK and seems to make your mouth feel fresh, I am not very comfortable about continuinfg to use it and I have switched to a product that does not have any alcohol in it
it does make your mouth feel fresh and i feel sure that it kils a lot of germs - although perhaps not all!
the amount of alcohol in this mouth wash

Mouthwashes

Find out how Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash compares to other Mouthwashes

qqbrightstar

qqbrightstar

OK

This product is very strong I have to say, it almost have the same effect as hot chili I feel. I honestly don't like the taste of it and the taste or smell it left after each use. It can help to keep mouth clean, wash away plague and protect teeth from rot. However because it is so strong, I only use it very occassionly and only after dilute it (one cap amount in a cup of water).
Help to refresh breath and remove plague.
I am a bit worry after heard that listerine mouth wash can cause cancer and stop using it.

red78

red78

OK

This product has been around for years and still going strong and is very popular. Leaves mouth feeling very fresh & minty (despite being a bit strong and yucky tasting when in the mouth) and is a good breath freshner. Comes in different flavours and quite well priced for the size of it.
very reasonable in price for the size of the bottle and leaves your mouth feeling clean, fresh & minty. Bottle will last for ages if you use sparingly - don't need a lot.
It is quite strong and doesn't taste really nice despite leaving a nice minty taste in the mouth afterwards.

marcel148

marcel148Australia

OK

I can only use Listerine Smooth Mint. I can not use any other type of the product ranges, especially the "Fresh Burst". That type of product is too strong. I wish there is a listerine product, which is milder than Listerine Smooth Mint.
Keep mouth clean and fresh for morning or night times. I like this product especially the "Listerine Smooth Mint", the degree of "bursting" in your mouth is quite low, so it will not severely irritate my gum and tounge. The price is quite cheap.
I was worry when there was an article in the newspaper saying that listerine mouth wash can cause cancer.

KayeFP

KayeFP

OK

I've continued to buy it and use it but I've no real evidence of whether it works. It sounds like it does more than a simple mouth-freshening wash. I'd like to give some others a try though.
I like the thought of how this supposedly fluoridates my teeth and freshens my breath.
When I first used it I was overwhelmed by the stingy sort of feeling it created in my mouth which gets worse the longer its in. It's expensive. The child-proof cap can be difficult to undo which means I always leave the bottle ajar.

See all Listerine Antiseptic Mouthwash reviews

Jane J.

Jane J.asked

Does mustering contain chlorhexidine

Andrew F

Andrew Fasked

I stopped using Listerine recently because, in recent times, it started "foaming" when gargled. I recently traveled overseas and thought I'd try the product again. To my astonishment I found that the old, non-foaming product was available. Will Listerine return to the old, non-foaming formula in Australia or will the new, foaming Australian formula be maintained?

Fired Up
Fired Up

Get a friend to ask the company rather than the public

Listerine typically has a high alcohol count, for example the Listerine Original Mouthwash contains 26.9% alcohol as an inactive ingredient. This often leads to an intense burning feeling during use, which is popularised on the Listerine TV ads.

While some people actually enjoy this burning feeling, others would rather do without it, and dislike the effects of alcohol in a mouthwash.

In this case, the ‘Zero’ range of mouthwashes (which includes Listerine Total Care Zero and Listerine Zero) are formulated as zero-alcohol mouthwashes. These have a more subtle flavour than the offerings with alcohol in them.

Seeing as the active ingredients are all essential oils (which are effective antimicrobials), the alcohol isn’t necessary. These essential oils (or parts of essential oils) include eucalyptol, menthol, methyl salicylate and thymol.

CategoryMouthwashes