Litter-Robot Automatic III Open Air

Litter-Robot Automatic III Open Air Questions & Answers

16 questions from our users

Annette A.asked

What brand of clumping litter does everyone use in their litter robot? Do you use the Catevolution one or another brand?

Pendles
Pendles

I just use the Trouble & Trix litter from Petbarn. They have a few different scents. Works a treat!

Suzi
Suzi

I have used a few.. catsan clumping, tidycats, and so phresh have been the best.
it does depend a bit on your cat and their habits which would work best for you.
A non-digger may need something different to a vigorous digger for example.

Aimee S.

Aimee S.asked

Hey Guys, can I use Breeder's Choice litter in this Robot III in Australia??

Mary M.Cat Evolution

Sorry no, Breeders choice is too large, too light and none clumping. Best to transition to suitable clumping litter in the manual tray before introducing the Robot for easier transition. Particle size and weight are important to the sieving process. Do ask for more information at sales@catevolution.com.au

Ines

Inesasked

Hello people,

Some questions on the robot v3.

1/ We really, really like using tofu litter for our cat, like this:

I suspect it might be a decision breaker; will it work with this type of litter? (fingers crossed)

2/ We also use biodegradable bags to bag-up the cat waste. Does anyone have any success/experience using some with this device?

Thanks,

Mary M.Cat Evolution

Tofu usually is too large and too light to work in the Robot which is designed for clay clumping with particle size and weight important for the sieving or scooping process. We are excited to advise we have been testing and now have a tofu litter on the way, which should be on our website in September, that is suitable for the LR3, Litter-Robot III Open Air. Yah!

Mary M.Cat Evolution

The bags on our website are biodegradable. You can use any bag you prefer, as long as the opening is large enough (50cm)

Willow C.

Willow C.asked

Hi, I am considering purchasing the Litter III robot connect. I have 3 cats and one of them has a digestive condition that means his stools are never firm; however they are not diarrhea either. This does mean that the clumps I currently get from him are approx 9-10cm in diameter. Would the system be able to dispose of clumps that size into the bottom pan?
Thanks Willow

Best to talk to Mary McPherson from Cat Evolution. She’s very helpful

Hi Willow.

The size of the outfall chute is 10.5x12.5cm.

How well the large lumps are dumped will depend on setting rate of the litter, and how well the set clumps stay together or fragment.

We recommend fast clumping, low dust litters, with carbon or activated charcoal, but you may find fast clumping and super absorbant form harder clumps when set. The Robot is designed for a wide range of litters. You would need to test to see what particular litter was best suited to your cats health/output parameters.

A softer setting litter, such as the organic Applaws crushed walnut shell, maybe a solution for you, as it would be less hard set and more likely to fracture when dumping, to allow better fall through.

We are unable to test your cats issue, but do also note there is a 90 day guaranteed money back (less shipping) if the Robot is unsuitable and returned in good clean condition in original box with original paperwork.

I trust this assists, and do ask if you have further questions.

As a tip, make sure you have your cats using suitable clay clumping litter in their manual system BEFORE introducing the Robot, as familiar litter will help them recognise the Robot is the new litter box, just a different shape, and will make the transition faster and easier for all. If you need assistance or more information, please do not hesitate to email sales@catevolution.com.au

Dannielleasked

Hi Mary,
My husband and I have researched litter boxes, and found the Litter Robot to come up top of the list. Before we make the commitment to buy one from you, could you please help answer the following:
1. We have four cats, ranging from 7.3-8.6kg in weight. Would the Litter Robot cope with their size? The boys in particular are tall and long.
2. We also use the Aldi San-i-pet bentonite clumping litter. Is this suitable for use in the Litter Robot?
Many thanks. Looking forward to your response.

Mary M.Cat Evolution

HI Dannielle, thanks for the query.
1. The Litter-Robot III Open Air was upsized to cater for Maine Coon cats. There isnt an upper weight limit really, as long as your cats are comfortable in the globe. Its designed so they enter and turn around, and can put their paws on the front lip, heads out and bottoms inside. Ragdoll and Maine Coons are both long bodied and long tailed, and the design works well. If you need help encouraging the enter and turn, just ask.
2. You can use a wide range of litters in the Litter-Robot, as its designed for clay clumping, with particle size and weight important in the sieving process. Aldi works ok, although its quite dusty. Its best to introduce the Robot using the litter your cats are used to, and Aldi will work for this purfectly. Once transitioned, you may want to consider a better litter that is a) low dust b) fast clumping c) has carbon or activated charcoal. A better litter will reduce deep cleaning, have less waste, and odour help in globe and tray is recommended for Aussie Summers. One of the big benefits of the Robot with multiple cats is you use a lot less litter, as you top up, not throw out. I use 1kg of litter per week for my 1 cat, and it means my Robot paid me back over time, for the initial investment. Its also great to know Im not throwing out lots of litter every week, into landfill.
Do ask if you need more information. Email is sales@catevolution.com.au

Dannielle

Thanks so much for your quick response.
For the benefit of other customers, I'll ask here;
3. Our boys wee big, like 120mm diameter wee balls, big. They also poo the same size as our silky x poodle used to. Is that something the Litter Robot can cope with?
4. With the So Phresh litter, would we purchase the multi cat one or the regular clumping one?
We really appreciate you taking the time to answer, especially as I thought I wouldn't hear back until next week. Your customer service so far is fantastic.

Mary M.Cat Evolution

HI Dannielle, we work cat hours lol! Just to give some general help, the Robot scoops by separating any soiled (clumped) litter from clean, and deposits it into the waste drawer. The chute is 110mmx125mm. So my answers are based on estimation and suggestion, as we have an oriental (Shadow), who is about 4kg and deposits accordingly.
3. large lumps can get stuck and not drop down. My suggestions would be you would need to try different litters to see what worked best, and you may want to mix together. Clay that is not as good at clumping can be better (based on reports from diabetic cat owners with large urine output), as the structure will break up and fall better, rather than be a solid ball. However, super clumping can be better, as it may make smaller tighter balls. Also, something non-clay, such as Applaws crushed walnut shell, may be the solution, as its softer. It clumps well but is more fragile, so you could find that on dump, too large lumps disintegrate and drop better. Litter choice is yours, but it needs to be clumping, and if you are considering non-clay, ask as particle size and weight are important. Applaws is on the light side for the cat sensor, so you need heavier cats, for example, as it still drops through the sieve ok (the most important thing).
4. Go carbon or activated charcoal as an additive is you can. Best litter for the the Robot for maintenance, is fast clumping, low dust, activated charcoal or carbon for hot summer conditions. SoPhresh works well, but the activated charcoal version is better if you want some odour help.
sales@catevolution.com.au is our email, but its great that you are putting these questions out via ProductReview, as we appreciate being able to share the knowledge about the amazing Litter-Robot!

Rayasked

I have one of your robots and we really love it. We have been using the clay clumping litter that you recommended - sophresh.
We find that the machine appears to be working too hard as we feel the clay litter may be too heavy.
What other product would you recommend, as we have two cats?

Regards

Ray Edmonds

Mary M.Cat Evolution

Hi Ray, no problem. The Robot is designed for clay clumping litter, and the motor should be fine. Sophresh is ok, fill to under the line, between half and 1 cm, as at that level of the globe, 1cm=1kg. You should have about 4.5kg in the globe when filled first time, then top up as used ;o) If you want another product, non-clay which is lighter, Applaws crushed walnut shell is popular with some customers. It can be too light for the cat sensor, so let me know if you have any issues. fill to just over the line - not so much that any clean litter is dumped. You are also welcome to send a video with sound for assessment of your motor ;o) sales@catevolution.com.au

Mary M.Cat Evolution

Also there are some corn litters but size and weight of the particle is important. Pellet style, tofu, paper, a lot of wood and corn dont work in the Robot.

Ray

Thanks Mary for quick response, both written and by phone. Your after sale service , commitment & response is second to none. I give a 5 STAR PLUS rating. All the best to you regards Ray

Rayasked

Good morning, I have one of your cat litter robots ( It is great ) we have two cats using the unit, question one is can I shorten the rotation time, as it can get messy at times? My other question is about the litter it self, we are currently using ( Sophresh ) clay cat litter. I find that it seems a bit too heavy for the unit and make it work to hard. With 2 cats other clumping ( not clay ) litter wont not clump fast enough, is Purina 24/7 ok ? what is your recommendation. I can also be reached on 0447869370. Regards Ray Edmonds

Mary M.Cat Evolution

HI Ray, I have posted on your other question ;o) I will give you a call. The short answer is yes, you can change wait time, which is the time between deposit and cycle. Time chosen depends on litter clumping ability. Weight for the Robot should be about 4.5kg (roughly) into the globe on first fill. As litters vary in density/weight, you may need to be under the line for dense litter (2cm-0.5cm), on the line, or slighty over for light litter. email your litter choice to sales@catevolution.com.au and I will assist further. Purina clumping time is similar to Sophresh, as is density, so both should be fill to about 1cm-0.5cm under the line on the liner, and 7 minute wait time.

Heather F.

Heather F.asked

Can you use crystal litter in this tray

KAHLUA

Hi heather, no the Crystal litter will not work, you need a clumping litter. The crystals are too big to go through the sieve section.

Donna

The litter robot works on the basis of sieving clumps so you will need a good quality clumping litter

taichishell

taichishellasked

Would a fully grown Maine Coon be able to use it?

KAHLUA

I believe so, the internal measurement inside the globe is approx 50cm across, depending on the level of the litter inside. If your cat is of average size, it should not be an issue.

Bernie

Bernieasked

I've had a litter robot 111 for about two and a half years now and absolutely love the product, however somehow some cat urine has got onto the night light LED's and corroded the solder on one of them.
Now when the night light comes on the yellow LED flashes and the globe won't turn. hence dirty litter in the morning until the night light is not needed. I've tried turning off the nite light ( by holding the power button for 5 sec's) but that dosen't work either. Can a replacement LED be purchased in Australia.
Desperate Bernard.

KAHLUA

Hi Bernie, send an email through to Mary at Cat Evolution - sales@catevolution.com.au - Mary will be able to help you, or check out their website and then send an email through their website. Mary answers all queries in a couple of hours. Good luck,

Cat Evolution

Hi Bernie, did you get sorted out? A new bonnet circuit board is really easy to self install, and not very expensive to purchase. sales@catevolution.com.au Regards Mary ;o)

Alana

Alanaasked

Can you use oz pet kitty litter in the litter robot?

Donna

No. It has to be a clumping litter. Talk to Mary McPherson from Cat Evolution who is the Australian distributor of Lotter Robot. She is very helpful. It’s an excellent investment. I love mine

Mary M.Cat Evolution

Thanks so much Donna. You are purrfectly correct, Oz Pet is not suitable as not clumping, and wood based litter is generally too light weight for the Robot. The Litter-Robot has been designed to use a variety of clay clumping litters, as weight and particle size are important. Some natural litters such as Wonder Wheat also work, but you are best to ask and we will assist as much as possible. If considering purchase of a Litter-Robot, its best to transition your cats to suitable litter in the manual system prior to introducing the new automatic lifestyle. PS love the input Donna - the Robot is quite the lifestyle changer ;o)

Miaasked

Is litter robot suitable for 8 was kitten?
Thank you.

Donna

I don’t think the kitten will weigh enough to trigger the sensor to cycle after toiletting. Talk to Mary McPherson from Cat Evolution as she knows a lot about the products she sells. Enjoy your little furball!

KAHLUA

I agree, an 8 week old kitten will weigh enough, but wont be long til she is would be large enough, maybe when she is 4 - 6 months old

Mia

Thank you for your answers!

Melissa K

Melissa Kasked

Anyone have a cat robot for a Maine Coon cat? Worried it's too small.

Julie
Julie

Hi

Off memory you have a 90 day return if you or your cat not happy with it
If you did purchase it just keep the box

KAHLUA

Hi Melissa, I have a female Siamese, every one says how small she is, mine does not have any issues. You may need to top the litter to the line more often to keep the weight sensor up, every 3 days or so, to keep it up to the fill line. I am really happy with mine, the best litter tray ever. Well worth the money. Great customer service as well from them - I have had to touch base with them a couple of times in regards to cleaning etc, Mary is very good - there is a 90 day money back guarantee if your cat is not happy with using it. This week, I have actually purchased the stairs up to it, my cat has not had issues getting into it though, it is mainly to keep the litter from her paws contained on the unit, rather than the floor.

AlanRB

AlanRBasked

Can the crystal type litter be used in the litter box?

Mary

There is one type of clumping crystal litter that you could try from Pet Circle, Kit Kat Clumping crystal litter, it is fine, runs OK through the Litter Robot, but it is not tightly clumping, is dusty and is expensive - the Tidy Cats Instant Action works out cheaper and is more efficient - or the Litter that Mary at Litter Robot sells, which is good but pricey. The pieces in normal crystal litter are too large. It also partly defeats the point of the litter robot if it is not clumping as you can't clear the urine contaminated litter immediately.

averonicaasked

Hi Guys,

I'm seriously considering purchasing this cat litter for my 2 cats. What brands litter do you use? Do we have to use the one they sold on the litter robot website or can we use other brands?

Hi Averonica
You can definitely use other brands of ultra clumping style litter, talk to Mary from the Litter Robot site as she is very helpful. Personally I had bits and pieces of multiple cat litter so I have used multiple types in our litter robot: Catsan Ultra Clumping, Purina Tidy cats (works very well), Feline First Clumping Litter, Kit Kat bentonite clumping litter, Misty's clumping cat litter (good in the Litter Robot but very fine and a bit dusty), even a little bit of Catlux clumping litter which has small wood chips or Max's litter to the general mix (too light to use on its own). I had a lot of different types to use up. The litter that Mary sells with the litter robot is great, but you can probably get cheaper locally. I am still very happy with the Litter Robot, it has made life much easier :)

Hi Mary,

Thank you very much for your recommendations! :) I have written those list in my phone. I have been eyeing the cat litter robot for at least the last 12-18 months and I'm glad it's finally in Australia. The price tag is abit scary but I think it will be cheaper to run in the long run (I'm currently using ScoopFree and the crystals are bleeding me dry!)

KAHLUA

Trouble & Trix Clumpable Litter - Scoopable Litter - see below, also comes with a Lavender Scent.

Product Info

Trouble and Trix Clumping Litter Baking Soda

Trouble and Trix Clumping Litter Baking Soda has a triple action formula for your convenience. This natural and biodegradable product neutralises odour, is highly absorbent and makes for easy cleaning. Infused with baking soda this litter traps pungent smells whilst also emitting a fresh scent. Trouble and Trix litter conveniently allows liquid waste to clump on top, which means easy cleaning and reduced litter waste.

Triple action formula with baking soda
Neutralises odour with a natural fresh scent
Highly absorbent clumping litter for easy cleaning

farmerlarna

farmerlarnaasked

Anyone found these recently in Aus ?

The local Australian supplier is no longer selling these units here. We had to buy ours from Europe and we a glad that we did. The best Automatic Litter box on the market.

Tripod19
Tripod19

Robotshop.com will ship them to Australia if you purchase them from their USA site as an international buyer, but the shipping is horrendous.

Get an answer from our members and Cat Evolution representatives