Maclaren Techno XT / XT Elite

Maclaren Techno XT / XT Elite (page 2 of 2)

Techno XT and XT Elite

See the Best 4-Wheel Prams & Strollers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Bad

Its alright. I wouldn't personally buy it again, because I haven't used it enough to be worth the price, I could have easily bought a much cheaper stroller for the car, but everyone I know who's had this pram raved about it, so maybe its just me who doesn't love it.
Its light, easy to collapse, suitable from birth, great for travel, well thought out features - like the hood goes all the way down which is great on sunny days to shield a little face, the pockets are good. The foot muff is a nice accessory (great for catching socks and shoes too)
Undercarriage is too small, steering isn't great one handed (which is important for when you wind up carrying bub and pushing the pram at the same time! or is that just me who does that?!?!)its not very hard wearing, mine has only had part time use and the wheels have been damaged by the pavement, so I wouldn't want to use it every day, I don't think it would survive daily use on uneven surfaces. I think its a great in-the-car-for-shopping-trips pram.

Good

Recommend if you are looking for a lightweight, easy-to-use, versatile stroller, suitable from newborns. You'll like to handling around tight spaces in shops, the baby looks nice and snug/warm inside the stroller even in the rain/wind and you get good visibility of the baby
Canopy: really well designed (3 stage fold) that looks like it can block out a hurricane - also good to put the canopy down so baby can sleep without distraction! Also nice to be able to see our 3month old through the back clear panel and the side ventilation - so even though you can't face baby, you can still check on her all the time.
Footmuff/sleeping bag: Really good for winter now - we use it instead of a blanket. Looks so cosy when bubs is in we want to be in it!
Umbrella fold: I find it fine, but wife finds it a bit challenging - will need to give her a bit more training on it! Fits in our corolla sedan easily.
Lightweight/narow: is a bonus. Plus you can tow it while it'd folded. I can lift it up the trams (x3 steps) easily and the stroller fits in between rows of seats on public transport. Can easily manoevure using one hand too.
Extensions on the handlebars are good too for me (175cm).
Suitable for longer walks around the park/lake: you can lock front wheels and it makes it easier going for longer distances in relatively straight lines
Raincover: fits like a glove and really easily done too even in a hurry.
Reclining mech: just a little hard because you need 2 hands to work it.
Shopping basket: it is small and access is limited with the pram reclined - but you have about a 10cm gap from the front end of the stroller for this if you pull the shopping basket tags all the way down the rail - so not too bad.
Feels a little bit ricketly/loose (maybe because baby is only 5kg at the moment) but I guess it gives the baby a smoother ride if there's give in all the joints.

Good

A great pram, would not hesitate to recommend this pram to anyone. I've heard about the recall in America, but I'm sure if you follow the safety instructions and not let your child near the pram when opening it, it will be fine. You can also order for free, the protective covers for the mechanism that's caused the problem.
Easy to use, once you get the hang of it, the pram is narrow so it can go anywhere you need, I have seen heaps of people struggle with those wide 3 wheelers. Easy to clean, looks stylish, my baby seems really comfortable plus they are very secure.
Basket can only be accessed if seat is up

Bad

I've had this stroller for 5 months now and although it is a good quality stroller, there are some serious drawbacks. Due to the major safety issue of the elbow joint (and the other potential pinch points at the back of the stroller that have not been addressed) I cannot recommend it. Maclaren needs to address all of the safety issues before I would change this view.
Stroller is too hot for a warm climate.
Safety issues aside, it is a sturdy stroller with good suspension and great for shopping so long as you're prepared to carry your load on your back (the best I've been able to fit underneath the stroller is a litre of milk and a newspaper!)
It is about 8.5kgs so lighter than most larger prams. It fits into tight spaces well and packs up neatly. Good for travel. Sun protection is good and braking system is good. As far as strollers go, it services my needs but would benefit from having a drink holder and more 'boot' space underneath.
I discovered through Choice magazine's website that Maclaren has recalled its umbrella strollers in the USA due to amputations of children's fingers by the elbow joint. Check out Maclaren's website and U-tube for more info. Interestingly they have not yet seen the need to recall them in Australia even though the elbow joint is the same! I am quite disappointed by this. When I went back to my store supplier, they did not know anything about the USA recall either. The Australian distributor is giving owners an elbow kit to cover the joint, however, looking closer at the rear of the stroller I can also see other potential pinch points which worry me. I'm also told that this problem may not be isolated to just Maclaren strollers but may extend to all umbrella strollers.
Reclining mechanism is a little cumbersome due to needing to use two hands (something that you don't always have) to recline it.
The stroller is also not ideally suited to hot weather. Ventilation at the back is poor. I had to strip out all linings and open the rear but even then, my son has to sit on a towel so that he doesn't get too sweaty on his back. A few times, I have had to pick him up and walk with him in my arms while I wheeled the stroller home - not fun when there are hills involved. Ideal climate for this stroller would be sub 25 degrees C and preferably sub 20 degrees Celsius.

On Tuesday 3rd June 2014 Today Tonight ran a story on which prams and strollers fall short on safety. They interviewed the mother who's baby boy had the top of his little finger severed off by a Maclaren Techno XT Stroller. It's terrible to think that these shortfalls in safety can still happen in this day and age.

Good

We bought this pram for our third child as I had already sold our other prams. (Baby number 3 was a happy accident!) I had already done the large pram thing with the Bertini, so I wanted something small and light to fit in the back of the car. This pram is certainly compact and was great when we travelled to Victoria in the middle of winter as the muff kept the wind off bub so she was very warm. I do not do a huge amount of walking / jogging with a pram so the smaller wheels are fine. Having had the Bertini though, larger wheels are better for long walks, but be realistic as to whether you are actually going to jog/walk long distances on the road because large prams are a pain in shopping centres! (aisles are very narrow). Many people I know bought a smaller stroller for visits to the shops. As I am definitely not having more children, I do not require a toddler seat, so this pram is fine. I would recommend this pram due to its functionality, but definitely speak to a good sales assistant about your needs/lifestyle when it comes to prams. I have purchased 5 prams for 3 children, so I wasted a lot of money!
Lightweight, compact, easy to fold, included accessories such as footmuff. I also love how the hood can pushed right forward when unzipped.
Need two hands to recline seat; I find this a bit fiddly compared to my old Bertini. Quite expensive. Fastening clip a bit stiff and difficult to operate at first, until you get used to it.

I am really happy with this pram and would recommend it. A versatile pram that is really convenient to use and made by a reputable company. Looks pretty nice too.
I did alot of research before buying a pram as it's such an investment, but went with the maclaren techno XT and haven't looked back! This pram is versatile as you can use it for newborns as it fully reclines and has a head rest and shoulder pads. At first I thought the sleeping bag was a bit gimmicky, but ended up really liking it as it protected my little one from the cold and I didn't have to worry about the blanket falling off or having to adjust it all the time as I have seen friends do. This is lightweight and so easy to get in and out of the car that it is no hassle at all. I'm quite petite and this was a major consideration for me. The hood is one of the best features on this pram - it extends and does a pretty good job of keeping the sun out - unless you are going for a walk in the evening as the sun is going down and so comes in from the side - but the sunlight isn't so strong at this time of the day anyway.
The basket is small so you can't do all your grocery shopping and put it in the basket. But a few items is fine.

I take this pram everywhere, including shopping - no problems with checkout aisles, and walking the dog through the park everyday - across grass. I would say that it has been really well used by us and it has stood up to the challenge. I would wholeheartedly recommend this pram to all.
I love this pram! Its incredibly light-weight and easy to operate - I can lift and open it with one hand. It folds down very small, its comfortable for baby - she loves it, and its durable. I have used it from newborn to 18 months and had no problems with it over that time
The basket underneath is small and difficult to access when the seat is reclined. Cannot hang nappy bag on handles as the pram tips backwards. (But the trade off is its light-weight and small size when folded.)

The thing I like most about the maclaren is how easy it is to get in and out of my car. Within seconds the stroller is folded up and in the boot, while other mums spend 5 minutes collapsing their huge strollers and struggling to lift them into their cars.
Light weight, folds up quickly and easily (even with bubs in one arm!), doesn't take up much room in the boot, sturdy, good quality make, good reclining positions, has extendable handles (great for tall husbands!) can be used for a newborn through to whatever age you stop using a stroller, is very easy to push around and being on the smaller side fits nicely through checkout aisles (you often have to use the disabled checkout to get the bigger prams through) and around shop displays, accessories such as a footmuff and rain cover are included. I also love that the sunshade has two positions and when it is folded right down it provides a nice dark environment for sleeping.
The shopping basket underneath is impossible to access when the seat is fully reclined (which is always is with a newborn), there isn't a cover over the viewing window and the sun often goes straight through the viewing window into my daughter's eyes - I had to make my own cover for it, and it isn't easy to put a bag over the handles without the bag slipping down.

Good

Very light with a small wheel base but not very robust, I don't think it would last through a second child
Light, small, folds easily
a bit fragile

Used by lots of celebrities ( e.g Matilda Ledger and Harlow Madden) so it must be a good stroller brand, Im pretty happy with it, my baby loves it highly reccomend.
Lightweight, easy to use, folds easy, looks good, love the foot muf and sun canopy!
Tiny shopping basket underneath - its hard to access!

I would highly recommend this stroller, it has been excellent from day 1 and i feel very smug when folding and unfolding.
It is so light weight, can be folded and unfolded with 1 hand whilst holding bubba. Very versatile, I used it from newborn and it grows well with bubba. The accessories are good. It is very easy to manouevre. Goes everywhere except sand.
Shopping storage is slightly small. Can't walk on the beach. no sun shade available.

We are very happy with this and would recommended it to anyone. Even though it is a little on the expensive side, the quality of this product is worth it and will last for a very long time.
Lightweight (8kgs with all the bits), well built, easy to fold and great materials. Can recline back all for new borns. Padded strap and soft headrest is great for those long trips to the shops. The handles are non-slip rubber so you won't sweat on it like some other inferior foam ones.
Small basket, price.

OK

when I purchased the pram, my main concern was weight and safety - so it met the parameters there. I did not think being reversible was all that important. I have now changed my mind - this is an important feature as it allows you to bond with baby whilst on walks. If I was buying a pram now, I would consider safety, price and reversibility.
The hood can be extended it to make it extra long and protect baby from the elements. It is pretty light. Love the footmuff - it is really cosy for baby in winter. unlike some other prams, baby can be harnessed in from newborn [unlike some other prams]. The couple of pockets at the back are handy. There is a window in the hood so that you can see baby. It can take heavier child weight than other brands.
It is non reversible - I didn't think this would be an issue, but I walk alot with baby, and the long walks would have been so much more enjoyable if baby and I were able to see each other during the walk. The basket underneath is tinyh compared to other brands, and it is not accessible when the seat is fully reclined. The pram is marketed as reclining flat for new borns, but it is not flat. The brakes are not connected - so you have to remember to apply each brake. Very hard to steer with one hand - the pram goes all over the place.

An excellent stroller and worth the money. We were told in the baby store where we bought it that they never see Maclarens returned for repairs unlike many other prams.
Lightweight, easy to steer, easy to fold, compact and fits into a small car boot, good shade with the extendable hood, comes with a rain cover which can be used to protect the baby on windy days as well, suitable from newborn to toddler, easy to get through supermarket aisles and other narrow areas
Small storage basket which is hard to access when the seat is in a layback position. A little fiddly to get the seat to the layback position.

The best stroller you can buy, worth every sent. You pay for what you get when it comes to strollers. I believe you should pay more for a great stroller and less on the pram/jogger, you will use the stroller more.
Has got everything you need and more. Super light, easy to fold, push with one hand, looks great (have been given many a jealous look from other mums), has suspension, multiple seat recline positions, padded straps and headrest, comes with raincover and footmuff, suitable for infant, reflector material, 3 handle heights. The Techno XT is worth the extra money.
Small basket but hey, it is a stroller!

I think its a great product.We use it everyday in the inner Melbourne area. It's also very easy to get up and down steps.
Great to use on public transport and high traffic areas. Very light and turns on a penny.Easy to fold and store.Can use from infancy and glad we didn't bother buying a pram.
Storage below the stroller a bit hard to access

Good

I was looking for a light weight, fuss free stroller to use from birth onwards that didn't cost a fortune. I think the Maclaren definitely satisfies this.
Easy to fold and unfold. It is really light weight - no problems picking up if you have had a caesarean. Easy to manuever and take on shopping trips.
Small shopping basket and because it is so light you have to be mindful of putting bags on the handles as the pram tips over (luckily this has not happened to me with baby in the pram).

Fantastic! Its not big and bulky so you can take it anywhere.
A great investment We have got our moneys worth easily!
Easy to use.
We have used ours from newborn onwards and our baby loves it.
The foot muff/ sleeping bag was good for keeping baby warm in winter.
basket underneath is a bit hard to get to.