Macpac Apollo

Macpac Apollo

4.1

Love this tent.

We sold our enormous 3 room tent after finding the putting up/down too annoying. We have had Macpac Apollos for many years and love them, so settled on the Wanaka as a family tent (for 2 adults, 2 older kids). It is easy to put up/down, has a decent amount of room for 4 people and their bags. We use this as our car camping tent (including overseas/plane travel for car camping). It is about 11.5kg and is therefore too heavy for hiking (we use 2 Apollos for this), but fine for car camping and doesn't take up too much space at home.

BegsSydney

Durable, reliable, quick and easy

One of the best tents made by Macpac, easy to setup and good value for money.
    Have used many tents and this is free standing model is one of the best around.
    Value for money, easy of setup, double entry.
    Floor of tent doesnt seem as tough as some other models.

Tents

Find out how Macpac Apollo compares to other Tents

I used my first Apollo for five trips around Australia, using it in all conditions except Alpine. It was terrific - Nullarbor limestone, Pilbara rock, mud, sand etc. I have now replaced it with another Apollo, which is just as good, but maybe with a few improvements. I do replace the original equipment pegs with triangle flange pegs for better performance in stony ground.
    Easy and very fast to pitch, even for one person. In high wind, you can peg corners and then insert poles. Good ventilation in muggy tropical weather with the fly off. Cosy in cold windy weather.
    Door zips became worn after thousands of uses and needed to be closed slowly and often repeatedly to get sealed. Even so, I replaced tent with another Apollo after 5 years.

this is an excellent lightweight tent. I have used it regularly for 12 years in all conditions hot, cold, wet and windy.
    easy to erect and waterproof
    the pole sleeves are starting to tear

I've had my tent for 8 years and it's still going strong. 3 of those years it was used almost everyday for adventure programmes with school kids. It's been in wet downpours, rocky conditions, spikey bushes etc.
    Easy to put up, lightweight, has fly out both doors for backpacks, excellent in wet conditions

RGM

RGMasked

What is "Free-standing"?

Begs

This means that you don't need any pegs to set it up. The benefit of this is if you need to camp on rock, a deck, a picnic area, or the ground is rock solid and pegs won't go in, then you can still erect the tent. It is also a lot quicker than having to put pegs in.

RGM

RGMasked

In all the info I've been able to retrieve, I still have no idea if this tent has any other openings or windows other than the main entry - as shown.
    Does it offer any cross-flow of air?
    Does it offer any ventilation?

Begs

Yes the new versions available now have fully mesh doors which have two flaps meaning that you can shut the zip on just the mesh or alternatively shut the zip on the material door and reduce airflow. And of course there are two opposite doors so airflow is good that way. Of course on the down side the more zips you have the weaker the structure. In our old tent that we had for more than 10 years it was the zip doors that went on them. We had them replaced and then they went also. So I am not so sure that it is a good design feature to have so many of them.

Get an answer from our members and Macpac representatives

CategoryTents