Makita DCS460/38

Makita DCS460/38

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Unacceptable

Brought new one, more times back to makita than used, impossible to start. Was replaced with new one, went well for 3or4 times now have same problem with starting again. Even with fresh fuel still very hard to start. Had enough. Something needs to be sorted with this problem makita!

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Great Chainsaw

Have had two of these chainsaws pruning commercial orchards. Great power for the weight. No problems at all starting. Fine using for hours on end. First one only died because it had an argument with a tractor. At least as good as any Stihl I've used and much cheaper to purchase.

I really like this saw, when it works

I really like this saw. I've had it 2 years cutting lots of dry seasoned grey box mostly. I probably should have gone for a larger saw as I have the 45cm bar (longest one you can reasonably put on these) and I'm finding I do enough logs where I have to cut in from both sides (the bar isn't long enough) that'd it be good have a bigger unit, but that means I've punished it and it's just kept on cutting. I've done close to 100 cubic meters since getting it.

Edit: 3 years of cutting now - When parts break, they are very hard to source. The ignition coil has failed in the saw which looks like it'll cost upwards of $AUS150 (some parts places want $AUS340!) to get. Compared with $AUS30-50 for a Husky ignition coil. I've had issues with a few other parts already and I'm definitely not going to buy another saw where it's hard to get parts.

Date PurchasedJul 2014

Great saw.

Had the saw for 5 years now and never had no problems. Starts fine, lots of power. A little heavy but it sure goes down through the wood. Buy another no problem. I've used the saw with a beam machine attachment ripping logs, lumber, beams, and even joists for a shed( 2x10x12).

Great chainsaw IF it starts

I traded my old Jonesred on this saw (HUGE mistake), when it starts (very rarely) it is a fantastic saw and punches well above its weight. You just need to have a spare hour or two before you want to use it to actually get it going.
I bought the semi-pro model as it would be cutting iron barks etc around our property, and it has no troubles cutting effortlessly thru Iron barks when it is actually going.

Makita chain saws - sheer teeth grinding frustration.

Bought one about 2.5 years ago for occasional use on small to large(ish) logs. Fantastic machine - when it actually starts which it does once or twice before off to the repair shop yet again. At least it cuts nicely when it actually goes. First set of comments from repairer: blocked fuel line. Finally,about 12 months later from a different repairer: coil misfiring. Whatever.
A rather expensive paperweight with nice colours and perfectly safe near children as it rarely starts, although they could get nicked by the chain teeth, Oddly enough, the first Makita chain saw I bought a day before the DCS640 wouldn't start at all so the retailers gave me back my money as they couldn't start it either. I was stupid enough to exchange it a larger DCS460. I have relatively few regrets in my longish life, but a Makita chainsaw is one of them.

awesome is the only word

Ive had this saw for 4years now and cannot fault it one bit. Ive cut at least 15 meters each year with it with minimal maintenance ( 1 new sparkplug an blow out the air filter regularly). I love this saw so much i am going to buy the 90cc model next week for the big stuff
lightweight, reliable, easy start, fuel efficient, alround awesome saw