Masport Bunnings 490 4'n1

Masport Bunnings 490 4'n1 (page 2 of 3)

MPN: 578763

See the Best Petrol Lawn Mowers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Weiss

WeissVictoria

Own 2, with 1 return experience

If you get a good one, it works well and is of good value for money. Unfortunately, we had to go through some trouble to finally get a good one. The first we bought wouldn’t start after two months. Initially, bunnings would not refund. We had to take it for repair, and the repairer changed $50 to ‘check’ it but could not fix it. Bunnings took pity on us and replaced it with a new one. Then just on the two-year mark, this one let off black smoke. We took it for repair, and luckily the repair worked and has been working fine. We also own another one for my parents’ house. It has been working fine for 2.5 years.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

TheRegularGuy

TheRegularGuynewcastle

A cut above ...

Easy to start first time everytime one pull no priming.
The foldaway handle is excellent.
The mulch plug and blade has seen the old standalone mulcher sit quietly in the corner. For the odd stick the blade works fine but the standout is how the mulchplug pulverises any leaves ect on the ground as you mow over it. Like a NutriBullet for the garden.
Side discharge is a welcome addition for catchless mowing.
It’s easy to turn and push and the extra width cutting has worked out to be a few less up and downs the backyard. Not so good for the Fitbit but great for not cutting into too much couch time.
Rock solid Briggs and Stratton motor with a variable speed control that is actually useful not just full speed or nothing.

Date PurchasedJul 2017
Nick

Nick

Great mower, plenty of power

I bought the special edition of this mower, which is essentially the same engine but slightly less features. This thing works brilliantly. Cuts the grass, chips my wood, and catches all the mess. Would recommend it to anyone needing a new one. Throw out your old mower, and get a new one like this.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Dan

DanGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great value

Was looking for a good value lawnmower and was only considering Victa. Spoke to a representative at Bunnings and was referred to this Masport which uses the same Briggs and Stratton engine at around $100 cheaper than the Victa alternative. Is essentially the same product at a cheaper price. Great engine with one pull starts every time.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Ash

AshSydney

easy to use mower

Handles 150 sq m of yard fairly easily and has a large enough capacity for a 10-15 min mow. Soes have some reliability issues though. Needs a few cranks to get it going on a cold start and cleaning the mower is a bit fiddily. Very heavy mower so not so forgiving on a hot day.

Date PurchasedApr 2015

Tim

TimHahndorf

Great mower!

Had this for a few years - used it to maintain about 200m of lawn. Never skipped a beat! Mulch plug really handy, but you cant let the lawn get too long if using this (same with all mowers). I serviced it myself - very easy, although doesn't have an oil sump drain, so needs to be tipped upside down

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Henry W

Henry WCundletown

Great mower!

No problems so far. The lawn mower us great. Then woodchipper isn't great. Can only do small things. Better off investing in something larger. The lawnmower does a great job but is quite heavy for my partner and harder to manoeuvre than some of the others. Overall though it functions well.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Brett M

Brett MAU

Great Buy

Very good mower for the price and for the store (Bunnings). I have had the mower 2 years and i serviced got it serviced 6 months ago due to oil leaking into the carby. Great cutting on my thick lawn and it is very light and easy mower to use. Would buy again hopefully 10 years down the track

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Kim

KimSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good mower and only two small gripes

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Mischka

MischkaBURPENGARY

Great so far

I'm on 1000m2 with some thick buffalo grass that can be really tough to cut through, however, putting this on the smart chute I could just waltz through it so much faster than my old mower. Took it out of the box and it started with the first pull. Definitely happy with the purchase!

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Dino

DinoWindsor

Very happy with this great Mower

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Baroness ranty Pants

Baroness ranty Pants

Quality machine that does what it says it will do.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Michael L

Michael LBrisbane

Great Mower

Very happy with the cutting, mulching and chipper. Have not used the smart chute as yet.
I mow two yards a week in summer and every 2-3 weeks in winter, she handles the work load with ease and plenty of grunt for long and thick grass.
Over the last 2 years I've changed the blades, air filter, spark plug and oil once, very easy to maintain.
I got 20 yrs out of my rover with 190cc briggs and Stratton, so far 3 good yrs with the masport!!

Date PurchasedAug 2014

Daz

DazGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Versatile mower.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
ttc

ttcSouth East Queensland, QLD

Perfect for us

We only have a small yard, but we have lots of palms with fronds, and putting them into the garden bag was a pain. Now we just chip them and they are a lot easier to deal with. First day we had it we just stood there, fed it palm fronds and laughed :D
Love it :)

Squeaky mower

Scott Fry

Scott Fry

Great mower but not enough power

Sam

SamCastle Hill

All in one incredible mower and fantastic service at Bunnings Dural

Lee

LeeDum Dum, NSW

Works Well

Purchased from Bunnings for $550 and they gave me the oil for free.
Can't really fault it, starts easily and cuts well, it is quite heavy when mowing slopes but then it is a big powerful machine. I use the mulch plug all the time and again can't fault it, when i do use the catcher it does as it should although the silly little full/empty gauge on the catcher is useless. As with all mowers works best when grass is dry but still performs when damp
It has just recently started refusing to stop which i can see is quite a common problem, easily overcome by just pushing forward where the cable attaches to the engine. I never realized but it is still under warranty so will get it repaired, will update after dealing with warranty.

Good after first use

It's been around 20 years since the last Masport purchase, so I was ready for an upgrade big time. No doubt the new version is China manufactured. The mower and chipper performance was excellent and for a first go the 4'n1 impressed. Improvements might be a more definitive indication of the required volume of engine oil (how many mls for first use from empty?), a less vulnerable pull cord (can see it getting worn or broken in the next few years), and a throttle cable that did not impede the exhaust flap when adding & removing the catcher (annoying). I don't expect the 4'n1 will last as long as the previous machine, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.