Mate ADSL

Fantastic for non speaking computer people :)

I cannot rate this company high enough, I was hesitant to try a company I had never heard of before but the reviews were all positive and thought it was worth a try as there were no connection/disconnection/plan costs. I have been extremely surprised and happy with their service at connection and disconnection, that's right! When I first signed up as I don't speak computer well I received help at every point including instillation of Modem etc.. their call centre is also based in Australia which was very helpful.
I'm currently not using my Internet much and things are a little tight, I called on a Saturday to disconnect my service and the line was busy, I didn't leave a message & thought id try later in the week. I was suprised to receive a call back saying they noticed I had called and could they help me, I informed them i wished to cancel my monthly internet, my Internet was cancelled so quickly without harassing conversations or fees. I am extremely happy with Mate and will return when needed again. You wont regret going with this Australian company.

Start DateJuly 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Erin, Wow, what can we say!? Thanks for your fantastic review, your feedback is much appreciated. Regards, The MATE team

Great install and support response but everything else terrible

The signing up process and install was great! Support team very responsive as well but man, after the install was complete, I am getting 1MB download.... like seriously??? $70 for this connectivity? I went back to support and their response was to get an engineer out to see what is wrong with the telstra line. If there is something wrong it's free, however if they cannot find any fault its $170 out of my pocket with slow internet... Does not make sense for me. I ended up switching with TPG and receiving 14MB download speed AND cheaper monthly contract. I lost $140 with MATE. Not a good mate after all. Didn't even last 1 month!!!

Start DateMarch 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi IIW, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your MATE code/account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?Too late, I have cancelled my account as there was already too much looking into this issue with no result... lol. a record of 14 days I think...Hi IIW, We would still like to follow up internally - can you confirm what your MATE code/account number was?

Good Product and Fantastic customer service

New to mate service been great so far and customer service are great and friendly. Move from Belong to Mate ADSL wish I joined up earlier. Hope to go to nbn next month or so with mate.

Start DateApril 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi David, Very glad to hear this! Thanks for your great review! Regards, The MATE team

No hassles, great support.

Most reliable ADSL connection I've had to date. Handled peak times extremely well. They give SMS notifications of any connection issues or coverage problems very quickly, sometimes before it even reached my area. Support is excellent, the people on the other end are knowledgeable and very friendly.

Pricing is very competitive, particularly given the great quality of service and support provided.

One time I had my phone line cut by work done by cable technician on another unit. MATE sorted that for me, troubleshooting to determine where the fault could be, then organising a new technician to inspect then repair. Very clear about what each step meant and no hidden surprises.

Start DateFebruary 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Raymond, Thanks for your kind words and review! We appreciate your feedback and glad our support team has been helpful. Regards, The MATE team

ADSL just got slower and slower....but never dropped out.

ADSL 2 served me well, but just as the NBN became available, ADSL just got so slow, that I decided to take the risk of switching to NBN and so far so good. I don't believe it is Mate's fault for the slowness - it is Telstra not maintaining their copper wire network. Mate organised a technician to come check our lines and he found issues, repaired some but told me the copper network is crumbling.
ADSL never dropped out - connection stable and customer service exceptional - love speaking to an Australian in an Australian call centre.
Loved no contracts and the NBN is the cheapest i could find too after extensive research.
Great technical help in setting up my modem for NBN.
Also had sim only for mobile and it had exceptional coverage - equal to my Telstra sim. Got rid of it though as couldn't cope with the $10 fee for each MB i went over.

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Susan, Thanks for your kind words and review! We appreciate your feedback. Regards, The MATE team

Best ISP in Melbourne, they truly deserve 5 stars

I do not usually write reviews. But for Mate I feel I have to do so for the exceptional service and amazing customer support they offer.
I switched providers from Belong to Mate a year ago and it was the best decision I ever made. Mate is the opposite of everything bad Belong used to be. I used to have very slow connection with lots of issues but since I switched to Mate the internet has been a charm, best speed, no dropouts, no issues whatsoever and on the top of that amazing customer service.

Mate is like a flower (Best ISP) in a field of weeds (all the other ISPs in Melbourne)

Start DateJune 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Zaher, Wow, what can we say! Many thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to leave us this review. Really appreciate your feedback! Regards, The MATE team

For Past days I'm using my mobile data to stream videos instead of mate

For the past days I'm getting very low speeds especially at night though I'm close to the network tower.when I call support,Mate complain my wifi router is not good.Then they restart my port .To cross check and clarify , I checked my router speed with Lan cable connected to laptop the speed was 15 Mbps ,then Checked the speed only with wifi it showed 15mbps with mate support on call.This eliminated that there is nothing wrong with my router.
Now at nights after mate has closed their operations, please see the attached screenshots of the speed with Lan connected to my laptop.How can I pay 69 dollar a month to get 1.52 Mbps of speed. I use my my mobile net to stream videos.How ridiculous!!

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Basil, We can see you have an open fault in progress and our support team are in contact with you. We will keep you updated on the progress of your fault. Regards, The MATE team

Big Telcos, look out!

I discovered Mate via this very website after searching for a new ISP (this should become an Olympic sport, it seems everyone's doing it!). Overwhelming majority 5-star reviews prompted me to message the Mate team asking about their ADSL service (I'm in postcode 2100 - Sydney's northern beaches). Their response was instant, informative and helpful. Dare I say friendly and - very Aussie! Praise the Gods!

After a "nail in the coffin" support phone call experience with Telstra (our provider for countless years), I decided I'd had enough of Telstra (there's a long backstory there, with the manner in which they bundled my Foxtel and screwed that up - too long and irrelevant to state here). I also knew the dangers of going with a relative "unknown" ISP, and understand too, how ADSL behaves across providers, and the fact that Telstra own the majority of infrastructure. I knew I was taking a gamble signing with Mate (although with no lock in contract, it's not really a gamble, right?).

I signed up to Mate last Saturday, and the communications (SMS and email) were fast and succinct, informing me when the new Mate connection would be made. Long story short, Mate got me connected 7 days quicker than they advised, and when I logged in to the new account this morning, everything came up quickly as expected. BUT here's the kicker... my ADSL connection is now 20% FASTER than the Telstra connection. I know it's 11am on a weekday but I rarely get speeds like this even at this day/time. Perhaps a nice coincidence?

I cannot speak more highly of Mate at this point. I know it's early days but, hey, what a welcome, and what a service. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE PEOPLE. Great to have a new provider on the map in this country, and one that understands customer service, building customer relationships, and providing great Internet service. I've never felt more happy with an ISP than I do today. Cheers!

P.S. My only comment to their service team would be this; it'd be nice if the person responding to an email states their name at the bottom so that we know who we're talking to. Otherwise, no problems at all! Well done, everyone!

Start DateMarch 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi That Metal Man, Wow, we are blown away by your feedback! We really appreciate you taking the time to leave such a detailed, positive review and glad to hear that we have provided you with a great experience. Regards, The MATE team

We have been a so called mate of yours. Is how you treat mates... Im disgusted

Have been in contact with mate several times. Let me start... Since our setup in November 2018 our speed was the lowest i have ever seen 700 kb only to have drop outs galore.i can't wait for their response on the photos let me guess. you only have three bars on your wifi wat a joke. we have purchased 3 more modems only to waste our money sick of being messed around and making me believe it was on our end or our hardware. However it obviously isn't the case as the modems are completely brand new. After i logged Nemours faults and cancelled them due to how much bull dust i was fed. Backwards and forwards from netgear and mate.. December 2018 logged a fault got told nothing found but problem fixed. in February 2019 logged a fault get told we have found the problem we have attached a noise profile to your line as there was to much noise on the line on top of this a bloke call [name removed] from mates disputes took it upon himself to apply a credit to my account for $38.80 without me accepting there low offer as compensation. If they had of discovered this fault and the noise from December 2018 i don't think they would be in this problem i am still receiving drop outs. tio ombudsman complaint made and would suggest any one else having issues with mate communicate to do the same. I don't even bother calling mate no more because you go straight through to their voicemail even billing or technical support you leave a message they could get back to you in 1 hour 2 or 3 whatever suits them my last payment declined the only one i went straight down to the bank i asked mate to call me they never did so i payed it online the SAME DAY it was due and low and behold i get told my payment was overdue is this another joke. I am sick and tired of being told you need to go buy this modem how much more money dose a customer have to waste netflix xbox live ect on top of everything still due to dropouts still cannot access any of them shame shame on you Mate. I also get told from the tio ombudsman that 90% of all cases get sorted out though negotiations with the customer. Im guessing im part of the 10% that don't. Because i now i have to wait for the tio to investigate and pay for a disgusting service until then nothing but a complete waste of money with this cheap and nasty isp. I have spent well over $280 just in modems This is not how you treat your customers
Thanks One Disgusted Mate

Start DateNovember 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
630273Hi Lemon, Thanks for your review. We can see you first contacted us in relation to a connection issue on your service in November 2018. The TP-Link WD8960N modem you had used was not allowing access to a service which may have been faulty. You replaced this modem on Nov 19th 2018, and as a result, you were able to access the service which you confirmed with a phone call on the same day. You contacted us on the same day indicating that your service was running slow, you advised the speeds were affecting downloads on your XBOX. You were explained that your line sync rate (which is the speed you are receiving on your line was within specification and that you should not be experiencing any speed issues) was within specification. You contacted us again advising your service continued to drop in November 2018, and each time, a reset and re-configuration of your modem had restored the service - this prompted us to advise that your modem may be faulty. You purchased a new modem (Netgear D6220) in December, which did not resolve your issues so we had confirmed if you would like to log a fault on the service with the conditions of logging a fault outlined to you. You were asked to accept the possibility of an Incorrect Call Out Fee charged only if a technician had not found any issues on the network. This was confirmed, and we logged on a fault on 14/02/2018. You then contacted us on the same day asking to cancel the fault as your service was back online. This fault was cancelled as requested. However, a field tech had been assigned to look for any issues, and none were found. We did not hear from you until Feb 2019 advising you were experiencing DOS attacks. After checking your network logs, it seems that your modem has killed the online session which showed a large number of drops. You requested we log a fault with the carrier which we did. However, you called the same day to cancel once again the fault logged as you had discussed the errors directly with Netgear, this was cancelled as requested. We then received another call on 16/02/2019 advising your service has continued to drop. We agreed to log a fault on the service, and this seems to have since resolved your issue. Regards, The MATE teamNow lets see now you want me to log another fault and you stated in you reply that you have fixed it come off it is this a joke why you took untill the next day to reply to my email yep still blaming my hardware I've still got that modem how about i plug that one in i bet you it works just fine the only thing wrong with that modem is that it is not dual band..... no mention about the credit you you took it upon yourself to apply to my account will wait until the tio conducts there own investigation

Got the connection sorted when other big companies couldn't

After almost a month of one of the big companies trying to sort out my new connection on moving house and no luck, these guys sorted it in a normal two week turnaround with no fuss. I like having Australia based service crews as the South Africans were doing my head in.

Start DateNovember 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi PommieAuthor, Glad to hear we sorted this out for you without any fuss! Thanks for your review! Regards, The MATE teamHappy to provide an accurate review for a company that do what they say consistently. Appreciate the sound advice and helpfulness of an Aussie based help desk.Thanks again!

Reliable service and excellent joining experience

We signed up with Mate as they were one of the only service providers able to deliver unlimited downloads to our area via ADSL.
The signup experience was excellent - completely painless and regular updates were provided by SMS. The installation instructions were also very good.
Since installation we’ve had no noticeable connection issues.

The only reason I didn’t give 5 stars is that $99 p/month is a little bit expensive.

Start DateJanuary 2019
Contract Type12-month contract
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Dave, Thanks for your feedback! Unfortunately, the zoning of ADSL services is determined by Telstra who own the copper network and your area is classified as a regional zone by Telstra. When nbn becomes available in your area we can definitely offer you a better deal as there are no zones and the price is the same regardless of your location. Regards, The MATE team

Outstanding Customer Service

Mate provide a quality service for a very competitive price with a solid customer service team. They were very responsive and knowledgable in getting me connected when I had issues.

Start DateMarch 2018
Hi Nicholas, Thanks for your great feedback! Regards, The MATE team

Good product.

Good product and service. I am about to move to NBN and will be pleased to report on how that goes. So far MATE have been very good responding to my request.

Start DateJanuary 2017
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi E-Spit, Thanks for your review mate! Glad to hear we have provided a good experience. Regards, The MATE team

Glad I switched

Since switching from Belong I have noticed an all round improvement. My household was previously having problems with connecting to the internet and extremely slow loading times, or sometimes not loading at all. That does not occur now that we have changed to Mate.

Start DateJanuary 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Max, Very glad to hear this! Many thanks for your kind words and review. Regards, MATE team

Damn slow and not great support

Internet is embarrassingly slow most of the time (NBN hasn’t arrived in my area).
Regularly have speeds down around 2-3 mb/s, and end up having to tether off phone to do basic browsing, email etc.
When I’ve reached out for support, they said sending a technician to investigate would cost me over $100 :/

Hi Alasdair, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE team

Not helping at all when you have a faulty issue

I thought mate was my ‘mate’ for the first few months I even recommended to my friends. However, from 4 months I have been using this, there are few issues with internet connection. Frequent disconnectinon and very low download speed. And the finally it’s been disconnected for 4 days now but there are not updating or resolve. Even though you call them you only able to leave a message and they would send you a text. Telling you they are working on it and will be contacted you in 24~48 hours later. I had this text twice and one email.
Just hopeless I am not totally able to get any help from anyone except a text message or email.
Really annoying. Looking for another broadband company.

Connection TypeADSL/ADSL2+
Hi Suyoun, Sorry to hear this. We have organised our support team to contact you ASAP to discuss. Regards, The MATE team

Waayyyyy better than Optus

These guys are wayyyyyy better than Optus (worst customer service in the world). Mate where have you been all my life!? Great speed, great customer service (Australian based - not offshore). All round great product - happy customer!

Connection TypeADSL/ADSL2+
Hi Sid, Thanks for the review, it's always good to hear positive feedback! Glad to hear we have provided a better experience than Optus. Regards, The MATE team

Avoid! Worst internet provider I've ever seen.

Why? Because their "Aussie" support is terrible. Please have the decency and don't call it Aussie. You are giving it a bad name.

1. The tech support is terrible. They neither have the knowledge nor the tools to provide quality service (given that they charge a premium price).
2. The support is slow and doesn't give a damn that you have problem. They don't even take the responsibility.

Here's my story:

I joined 3mo ago based on the reviews on this site and canceled after 2mo.

I was experiencing very low speed (2Mbps) since the beginning. I called the tech support and they told me "No worries mate! It's normal" which was clearly not true. When I insisted on troubleshooting, they just called my phone line and said it sounds clear! No measurement or anything! When I asked what is the average speed in my area they couldn't even answer that.

After a month I was disconnected (the line was dead). It took a week for their support to find the problem and send a technician. After fixing the line the internet speed jumped to 8Mbps! They didn't even bother to reimburse me for the period that I didn't have internet which they must.

Connection TypeADSL/ADSL2+
Hi HPS, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE team.Account #628783 closed effective as of 22/12/2018.Hi HPS, Thanks for confirming. We have reviewed your account history and can confirm you were initially provisioned on an ADSL1 connection, as ADSL2 was not available at the time your service was activated. We checked your estimated speeds according to the Telstra database and based on the distance from your premises to the exchange, average speeds you would be able to achieve on an ADSL1 service should have been anywhere from 2Mbps - 6.9Mbps - the information provided by our team was correct. A ticket was then raised with Telstra to attempt to move your service from ADSL1 to ADSL2 and this was successful. We are sorry to hear you feel our support was inadequate, however, the information provided to you was correct. The speeds that we provide on your ADSL connection are influenced heavily on two factors: 1: The distance your premises is from the local exchange - the closer you are the better; 2: Quality of the copper line that runs to your premises. The better the quality of the copper line, the better the reliability and speed of the service. We will always provide the theoretical maximum speed the line can achieve on an ADSL service however actual speeds you will receive will vary due to a number of factors such as your distance from an exchange, quality of the copper, the network connecting the exchange, your equipment and software and internet traffic. We are sorry to hear you were unsatisfied and wish you all the best with your new provider. Regards, The MATE team

Very professional and great customer service

MATE were fantastic from the get go. I had just purchased my first home, and was trying to find out which internet services I could acquire, they responded promptly and were very helpful in sorting out how to get me set up (and fix up errors in Telstra's records). Getting to chat to an Australian customer service team makes things so much easier!

The connection itself is adequate, it's ADSL so it's unfortunately quite slow and struggles during peak times, but that's no fault of MATE. Hopefully once NBN rolls out in my area things will improve. I bought their pre-configured modem/router and it works without issue.

Connection TypeADSL/ADSL2+
Hi Michael, Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you are happy with us! Regards, MATE team

Good for the start

When I got MATE connection, it was working perfectly for first six months but it's giving me trouble from last few weeks. It freezes every two minutes. My wifi modem is connected properly but still I don't get enough speed.i contacted company but still no help.

Connection TypeADSL/ADSL2+
Hi Jyoti, We can see you have spoken to our team on the Saturday 29th December. We can see your service holds good line connection, currently holding a 48 hour session since you spoke to us on Saturday. We can see on Saturday when you spoke to our support team, you logged into your TP-LINK modem and confirmed line speed of 14.1mbps / 1.09mbps and you also ran a WiFi speed test reporting speeds of 11.83mbps/0.92mbps. This troubleshooting does not point to any particular issue with the line, however please call our support team and they can log a fault with Telstra if you wish. We would suggest speaking to the TP-LINK as the drops seem to be modem related. Regards, The MATE team