Expectation doesn't equal reality

Did not live up to the expectation given by the reviews on here (not sure if they are able have fake or paid reviews). Substandard speed compared with what they promised and a $10 increase in my bill 6 months into using them without any further notice to me was enough to put me off mate. Would not recommend.

OK
OK
Start DateJune 2018
Set-up Time2 days
Adequate Speeds No
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)

Promises broken and service never delivered

We have been paying for 100m/s for two years and my service is lucky to get to 12m/s - and I live in the heart of the City in Melbourne! l

Terrible
Terrible
Start DateJune 2016
Set-up Time7 days
Adequate Speeds No
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi dcb, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? If you are experiencing issues please contact our support team on 1300 876 283 so we can investigate.

Great customer service and NBN just works

The connection setup was super fast - within a few hours. Connection is reliable and reaching advertised speeds. The price is very competitive.

I have also an extra 3 months on the initial special deal I signed up for. What a nice change to be valued as an existing customer as opposed to just trying to lure new customers!

Overall very happy customer. Thanks MATE :)

Start DateSeptember 2018
Set-up Time1 days
Adequate Speeds Yes
Data TypeCapped Data
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi IgorB, Glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience! Thanks for your review, we appreciate it! Regards, The MATE team

Efficient and Easy

Purchased an NBN month-by-month plan with this company on a Monday. We included a configured modem router from the company for an easy set up process. By Tuesday our NBN connect had been authorised. By Wednesday the modem had arrived at our local post office. By Thursday, we had installed and set up WiFi within five minutes of opening the box.
Have no yet dealt with customer service enquiries or technical support, but overall our experience has been incredibly positive.

Good
Set-up Time3 days
Adequate Speeds Yes
Connection TypeI don't know
Hi Tess, Thanks for your review, we appreciate it! Glad to hear you are happy! Regards, The MATE team

Slow, unreliable, a waste of money so far

For a plan boasting a max 50mbps off peak, it's disappointing for me to say that the service struggles to load basic web pages, let alone streaming vendors.

I've been with Mate for about 7 months, and in that time I've enjoyed perhaps 2 months (cumulative, not consecutive) of untroubled browsing and streaming time. For every other day, the service fails to connect to simple web pages like Translink and Netflix. The sites won't even load, so forget streaming! I've tested this across 3 different web browsers, 2 computers, 2 phones and 3 gaming consoles. The results are always the same. In fact, I often resort to using my mobile phone data hotspot instead of this "NBN" service.

When I brought this to the attention of Mate TWICE, and went to publish this review several months ago, I was met with flippant comments and unhelpful advice.

My partner holds a qualification in network administration and even she found the phone advice from mate, on the third occasion, basic and unhelpful.

Not long after this, the service suddenly improved. It was almost as if someone somewhere had forgotten to flip a switch until then. Slowly but surely the service eventually degrades again to the point of being useless.

I've had enough, and tonight I signed up with another provider who upon speed testing provides an exceptional 49mbps on peak. Netflix loaded instantly. It's slightly more expensive, but at this point it's better than burning my money with mate.

For $59-69 a month, it shouldn't have been this hard. What a disappointing failure of a service. I'll also add, this "no lock in cancel any time" service doesn't actually give you an option to cancel on your account. You must request this from the provider.

Connection TypeNBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Ellen, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE teamToo late mate, cancelled my service 2 days ago.Hi Ellen, We are sorry to hear this. We can see that you spoke to our support team extensively regarding this issue and our support team proved that there was no network issue and this was an issue with the Wi-Fi range of your BYO D-Link device in your home. We wish you all the best with your new provider. Regards, The MATE team

Mixed opinion

I have been a mate customer for approximately two years now, over two addresses.
My first experience was great. Customer service was friendly and helpful. Set-up for NBN was quick. I never had any problems at all throughout my first year with them.
Now when I moved is when the issues began. There were arguments over who owned rights to the phone line at my address (optus or telstra). They were trying to charge me $300 for a new connection fee even though I knew the internet had been connected here with the previous tenants. They put it on me to prove who owned the line, which I think is just downright ridiculous. Their communication wasn't great either, with different stories being told by different staff members. Also did not communicate amongst themselves either.
I could only get ADSL to begin with. It was okay to begin with, but the service declined fast. Was then told this was because I had to be moved to NBN. Great, the service will improve! Well, not much..
I get fairly frequent drop outs. Had a tech come out and fix some faults. But, he mentioned I'm quite far from the node, and in fact should never have been moved to NBN.
Speeds aren't great, and still have a moderate amount of dropouts. So all in all, I think their service is very dependent upon where you live. This is true of all internet providers, but their customer service has proven to be somewhat disappointing also.
Would I recommend? Perhaps. But with a caution attached. And only because they are the lesser of all evils when dealing with telecommunications providers.

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Jade, We are sorry to hear you are disappointed with our customer service. Can you please advise your current account number so we can look into your service? In regards to the technician stating that you should never have been moved to nbn, the nbn government rollout is forcing all households onto the nbn so you do not have a choice - you must move to nbn eventually. If you are experiencing issues please contact our support team on 1300 876 283 so we can investigate. Regards, MATE team

How is MATE not a nation-wide brand!?

We used MATE for the first time over a year ago in an apartment experiencing close to the 100MB speed we were paying for, and they exceeded our ISP expectations more than any other company we've previously used. They helped us select a strong modem (that wasn't theirs), helped us set it up, and turned the connection on in no time.

After a trip overseas where we had to cancel our account (which was free because they lack contracts), we returned moving into a new building and returned to MATE having a previously great experience. We use their modem, again on the 100MB plan, and it's as fast as the 'up market' modem we previously used! The connection was quickly turned on (which again surprised us having previously waited weeks with other providers AND because the building is new), their service is all local, they answer calls and return them when you can't get through, the service is always friendly and accommodating (they extended a payment due date when our debit card was cancelled due to financial scamming), and the plan prices are really competitive. They even give a reward when you refer a friend.

We're BIG fans of MATE and encourage you to be their mate too!

Connection TypeNBN FTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi Luke, Wow, thanks for the fantastic review! Glad to hear you are so happy with us. Regards, The MATE team.I'll be reducing this review rating to 3 stars. Unfortunately at our commercial premises, we have an ADSL connection and experience speeds no greater than 6Mbps. The low speed (which we’re aware isn’t MATE’s fault) means Spotify drops out (a simple task), and we have security cameras because internet speeds cause the feed to lag up to a minute behind (a more advanced task), has led us to cancel the service given we aren't experience it's full benefits. Our gripe is the billing cycle ends on the 11/1, and our bill arrived today (15/1), which prompted us to cancel the internet. Because we're 4 days after billing cycle, MATE still wants us to pay for the month ahead (February) even though there's little point to keeping the internet on except that it means MATE can still charge us. Initially I said we'll keep it on for February, but when I realised the service is redundant being unable to do basics, I asked to cancel it from today. Your billing team said that despite that it's only 4 days after the billing cycle, despite that we have a home account with MATE (at a higher rate), and despite looking to keep a customer who's referred MATE business happy in the long term, the month ahead fee still stands and we have to pay it. Seem silly now to turn it off if we HAVE to pay for it… That puts profit before customer satisfaction. It also puts my desire to refer other customers to you to your detriment, so though you are making $69 here and now, you stand to lose me to another provider if a better one comes along, I'm reducing a review rating, and I'm led to withhold business in future. Bit of a disappointment, ‘mate’.Hi Luke, We are sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE team

The best

We love mate and have been with them for well over a year and have never had an issue. We are always recommended Mate to everyone.

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Joe, Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you are happy! Regards, MATE team

Highly recommended! Will not switch to any other.

Making the switch to MATES Communication was the best thing ever.
Reliable FTTP connection, and the prices are very competitive and affordable than giant competitors!
I have had no issues with connection except when there is a NBN outage due to weather or other reasons but i have not experienced any outage longer than 30 mins since my 6 months being with MATES.

Also they give great incentives such as when you sign up you get a $10 discount for 6 months (that was when i started) and today i got an email saying it was about to expire but they have extended that further 3 months. $89 for the top tier NBN speed plan, what could you want more.

Connection TypeNBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Raj D, Glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience! Thanks for your review, we appreciate it! Regards, The MATE team

Best ISP around

MATE Communications have been phenomenal thus far. Great speed, best price and set up/connection was an absurdly fast turn around.

Connection TypeNBN FTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi Dylan, Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you are happy! Regards, MATE team

Not a Problem with Mate

We have had quality connection in our new property. Mate have answered all our questions etc. promptly and professionally.

I would connect again!

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi SamF, Glad to hear you are so happy with us, thanks for your review! Regards, The MATE team.

An average ISP with great customer support.

Frequent congestion issues. A lot. (you may have a different experience depending on where you live.)
I suspect this issue may be compounded by the iPrimus/Vocus group being trash.

No drop outs (again, dependent on your setup and line quality.)

Great customer support, they even call you when you don't expect it, was really nice. Not particularly what I'm looking for as a power user, so long as the rep can actually do his/her job, then I don't care. Reminds me of Adam Internet before it got absorbed by the iiBorg/TPG.

They may be resistant to actually helping though. They off-handed my belief that there is/was congestion around my area and will be the reason why I will be leaving soon.

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Josh, Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review. Glad to hear you were happy with our customer support, we understand we are not going to appeal to everyone but thanks for your feedback. Did we end up raising a fault with the carrier for your issue? Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this ASAP? Regards, MATE team

Best internet provider

I decided to go with Mate after having troubles with TPG- and I’m so glad I did! Everyone I speak to over the phone at Mate is super helpful and the texts I receive about (infrequent) outages are a great way of keeping me informed. Definitely recommend

Connection TypeNBN FTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi Kat, Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you are happy! Regards, MATE team.

The Promised LAN

I secured a fast and reliable internet connection on the NBN Best Mates plan, in one day. Mates Communiate Customer Service were extremely helpful over the phone when I called to register the service and the technical team were just has helpful when I needed tech support to connect and use my existing NETGEAR modem. Leave set-up fuss and lock-in contracts back in 2009 with lagging! 10/10 recommend.

Connection TypeNBN FTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi Julie Asha, Glad to hear you are so happy with us, thanks for your review! Regards, The MATE team.

Decent

Service is fairly reliable. I was having dropout issues once a day, Mate communicate got this resolved, now it only happens once or twice a month which is ok, restarting the router will often fix it. Price is a little high, would appreciate a discount if connected for over a year etc.

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Jeremy, Thanks for your review! Regards, MATE team.

horrible

Horrible internet speed and connection for NBN horrible customer service. I would not recommend to anyone. I dont even bother connecting my mobile phone to wifi at home

Connection TypeNBN FTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi Melya, We are sorry to hear you are having service difficulties. We can see you called in on the 28th December and we returned your call back and sent you a SMS responding to your call back. We can see your service is online, one of support team members will call you again today to try and troubleshoot the service. Regards, The MATE team.You have unfortunately phoned at very inconvenient times such as early morning (I sleep in throughout my holidays) I have had issues with your NBN service since signing up back in October. Yes you will see my service is online the constant dropping in and out, the download speed and the constant pausing/buffering of Netflix and YouTube.Hi Melya, We can see our support team called you at 12:13PM and 3:08PM NSW time today. There is a callback scheduled for Monday, we will advise the team to call you in the late afternoon. Regards, The MATE team.

Not myMATE. Slower Mbps than the sinking of the Titanic.Worst value for money.

Not my MATE. I wonder whether iSelect receives benefit for recommending MATE! Since joining this inferior ISP, my Mbps download speeds have ranged from 2.53; 6.79; 11.46 to a max of 20 Mbps (rarely). This is below the already pathetic Australian standard Mbps. Slower than the sinking of the Titanic which was likely quicker than MATE’s NBN unacceptably slow data speeds. It takes over 2-3 minutes to open a new tab – sometimes longer, 5 minutes to load a Speed Test, etc and constant issues – ‘Buffering’, ‘Server Not Found’, even with 1 tab open, ‘Not Responding’, frequent disconnection. I have to close a browser due to re-occurring latency/connectivity issues. Netflix takes at least 5 minutes to open/load – more buffering. Slow connection.Slow downloads. Forget switching between Chrome and Mozilla. Equally disturbing uploads speeds. My ADSL2 unlimited monthly rate was cheaper and faster than MATE. Whenever I have called MATE, assistance is futile. Called 30 minutes before they closed and no answer. Thus, no assistance. I am not getting value for money, nor a service worth what I pay. Worst Value NBN. I will be looking for a new ISP who offers faster better value NBN. This with MATE is cruel and unusual punishment, painfully slow and frustrating, causing me stress (life as a cancer patient is stressful enough) and money not well spent. Being with MATE, is like a sponge sucking the life out of me.

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Ophashionista, We are sorry to hear of the service difficulties you are having. Please supply your account number so we can contact you to troubleshoot your service speeds. Alternatively please try calling our support team, if you don't get a support team member straight away please leave a voicemail and we will aim to call you back ASAP usually within 1 hour. Our support operating hours are 8.30AM – 7.00PM, Monday to Saturday, please note we are closed on nationwide public holidays. Regards, The MATE team.

The worst service I've ever experienced! Ridiculous and rude!

I purchased the plan NBN50, however the speed is extremely slow during the whole day. Their staff are very rude and not helpful at all! They called me to argue with me, made me feel very upset and even feel scared and threatened. Ridiculous NBN service and the worst customer service! Please don't sign up with any of their products!

Connection TypeNBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Tiffany, Sorry to hear this and apologise sincerely. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE team.

Fantastic technical support

I had a problem with my router that caused me to periodically stop communicating.
The guys at Mate technical support were fantastic in helping sort out the problem. Always helpful.
Not once did they try and palm me off, even though we had to try a few things before we found the cause.

Connection TypeNBN HFC (Cable)
Hi Leigh, Thanks for the review, it's always good to hear positive feedback! Regards, The MATE team.

How's this for service!

At 9am on Christmas Day I sent an email asking MATE Communicate to block a nuisance phone number. Even though there were 2 public holidays coming up, I thought it was worth getting my request in the queue. To my utter amazement by early afternoon Christmas Day I received an email to confirm my request had been actioned. Very impressive service!

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Robin, Glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience! Thanks for your review, we appreciate it! Regards, The MATE team.