Customer service equal voicemail

I have been using mate connection since 8 odd months initially with ADSL and then NBN. For months I initially endured their slow ADSL connection speed and once NBN connection was available at my premises I opted for a good speed NBN connection. The speed is ok however am not getting the 25 Mbps as per the speed an paying for but getting around 14-15 Mbps. The NBN connection is now down for couple of days and their customer care is operating only till 7pm during weekdays - hence hope for your net outage at least before 7pm if you wish to talk to someone. The other issue is that the customer service very rarely answers your calls but ask you to leave voicemail as they are busy on other calls and then they call back. Hence more often than not you need to be available to answer their call if you need any support rather than they being available to support us during our time of need.

Start DateOctober 2018
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Sane, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your MATE Code/account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE teamAccount number is 626212

Have not had to call customer service for anything in the two years we have been at this address. Super reliable!

No dropouts recorded but speeds dropped a little due to evening traffic but still able to stream 1080p. Upgrading my service to 100 as there isn't a contract to hold me back

Start DateFebruary 2017
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Gooob, Many thanks for your positive feedback! Glad to hear we have provided you a service you are happy with! Regards, The MATE team

Waste of money

I've been using Mate for 8 months. The speed was always terrible and I had connection problem since the beginning, but the customer service could fix the problem through the phone, even if I've been without internet for a couple of days every time.
10 days ago I had the usual drop off and once again I called the support, but they could't fix the problem, so my case has been sent to the carrier for an ulterior check. They said that it could take 24/48 hours and I was already without internet for 2 days. The carrier replied that there were no problems with the NBN, so I had to make ONCE AGAIN several calls to the support for a further troubleshoot. In the end they said that wasn't they're fault but they said that it could be my ethernet cable. Also during one of my phone calls, a guy from the customer service, offered to deduct the days without internet from the bill, but that was a lie because a few days later (beginning of April) I received the bill and I payed the full amount, including the days I was promised would be removed due to not having internet. Anyway, I didn't say anything because I knew that it was a lost battle and I don't have time to waste in discussion. So I bought a new cable, I called the support again and after several calls I had internet back. But this is not a happy ending story, it's a never ending story. After 10 days HERE I AM AGAIN!!!!! same problem same story and I've been without internet for 3 days now!!!! Last evening I called the support for a further troubleshoot and I also asked for a refund for the days without internet, because I'm paying for nothing!! But guess!!! This time they blamed my router and they said: NO it's not our fault NBN is working, so you can't get a refund you have to change your router or try with another laptop!! I bought the router 7 months ago when I activated with MATE, but the support guy said: well..you know...things brakes when they're old!!!! This is just crazy I'm sick of being messed around and making me believe it was on my end or my hardware. So this evening when I go home, I'll try to call the support again for the millionth time and I'll use a new router (another waste of money). If it's not going to help I'll cancel my subscription STRAIGHT AWAY this is clear. I'm not the person that complains for every single thing but this company is testing my patience and I have had enough of this messing about.

Start DateAugust 2018
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Benedetta, Very sorry to hear this. We have organised our support team to contact you ASAP so we can troubleshoot and try and resolve your issue. Regards, The MATE team

Amazing company

I am so impressed by this company. I called to connect in the evening and by the following the morning I had internet! So easy. And the service was immaculate. Seriously great company. After so many companies with bad service and problems this was a complete breeze! I highly recommend.

Start DateApril 2019
Connection TypeWireless
Hi JHE, Very glad to hear this! Thanks for your great feedback! Regards, The MATE team

Yes there are speed drops!

so i've been told and heard that the company has no speed drops during the peak hours and NBN works smoothly. hence, still low speed at times and it happens frequently. I've called to change speed and get a better plan and they mentioned they're not able to change speed until the pay day which for me was in 27 days! i really don't understand why this can happen!

Start DateFebruary 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi tallebi, Sorry to hear this. We can confirm that any plan changes can only be actioned at the start of your billing cycle and can't be changed mid-month. The plan will change on this date as you would have been advised and we hope you won't have any further issues. Regards, The MATE team

Does Not work, if it does it's slow

Started using NBN a week ago. Since yesterday it keeps dropping off. Absolutely useless, one more provider who rips you off. Is there any provider that provides what I pay for?!

Connection TypeI don't know
Hi Adam, Sorry to hear this. If you have experienced the same issue with multiple providers then this is obviously a network issue which we will need nbn to rectify. We can see that you have an open fault in progress and we are working with nbn to have the issue rectified. Once the fault is resolved, the billing team will investigate your account and the fault and provide any applicable compensation for downtime. Regards, The MATE teamno, I haven`t experienced the same issue with any other provider as this is my first NBN connection. What I experience is that you providers always pass the buck, it is always someone else`s fault. I don`t want too much: I want to pay for the service and not worry about it. I don`t want to waste my time sending emails after emails, calls after calls, I don`t even want to know about the service, I just want it to work.Hi Adam, You have obviously had a bad experience with a previous provider and you are prejudging us based on this. That's fine, and we certainly understand that Internet issues can be frustrating. However, we also want your service to work, and we will do everything we can do ensure this is the case. We aren't like other providers - we will fight until any issues are resolved as this is what we do. We have already logged a fault with nbn and sent a technician out to your property. If you are still experiencing issues, then we do need to send the carrier the relevant data so they can fix the issue. We are not interested in blaming anyone, but you need to understand that we do not run the network and if there are issues we need to go through the relevant parties in order to get these resolved. Regards, The MATE team

Like an ecstasy Trip - Builds up to not quite a peak and then comes down to nothing...

Thought mate and barefoot ISP (same company with same complaints) were showing promise of being a reasonably astute Australian owned business.... Yeah -no!! Joined 01/2019 on 50/20 fixed wireless @$89.00 p/month with promising peak download speeds. Then some months later peak speeds dropped as with the monthly payment to $75 p/m (which is a reflection on pricing) to where we are now: current speed test (27.03.2019) PING 736 DOWNLOAD 0.38mbps UPLOAD 0.46mbps... @10.16pm ref. https://www.speedtest.net/result/8143340495%E2%80%

After providing speed-tests and details to Mate ISP for analysis of which they handball to nbn this is their reply;

Hi Matt,

See the response below;
"The cell which this user is connected to experiences high utilisation during busy periods. This means that the speed of this service is likely to be reduced, particularly in the evening when more people are using the internet.
nbn constantly monitors the fixed wireless network for sites which require capacity expansion and we aim to upgrade site capacity before congestion occurs, however sometimes demand exceeds expectations, resulting in a site becoming congested.
This site is scheduled for capacity expansion by Quarter 4, 2019 which should result in improved performance for users on this cell. While we endeavor to upgrade sites on their scheduled date, it is subject to change."

Please contact our support team if you wish to discuss this further.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A release of findings into ISP advertising "standard evening speed" by the ACCC concluded the ISP must state sustained average "peak demand time, 7pm - 11pm" speeds. On Mate web site that is portrayed as 30 - 50mbps on the nbn 50 of which I'm on. But as you can read, Mate ISP's response is clear that 0.38mbps is acceptable, unwilling to escalate, please don't respond to email and just call support to start from the beginning again! To further Mate ISP are aware of surmised congestion at cell but continue to offer their Fixed-wireless connection plans. Reading other review sites; whirlpool, trustpilot etc. there is a common reply from Mate / Barefoot ISP "congestion". Simple don't offer a service you can't provide... A very lame response and a money grabbing exercise.. Time to call the ombudsman and notify ACCC... PS. Mysteriously if I change ISP of which I've done on two occasions (new port at cell) the peak speeds are very acceptable as was with Mate ISP to begin with!! You've changed Mate.. :(

Connection TypeWireless
Hi Matt, Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your experience. We can confirm that nbn have advised that the Fixed Wireless network tower that your service is connected to is currently congested. Unfortunately, this is an issue you will experience regardless of which ISP you choose as the issue is on the nbn network. We do not get advised of cell tower congestion until a fault is logged, and we are not aware of this issue until a service is connected and a ticket is raised to the carrier. The download speeds accessible on your plan will range from 1Mbps up to 50Mbps and will vary due to a variety of factors. Services delivered over the nbn Fixed Wireless network do not have a minimum requirement for speed due to the limitations of this technology. If you are unsatisfied with the service you are receiving, you are free to cancel the service before the start of your next bill cycle as we are a month-to-month service with no lock-in contracts. Regards, The MATE team

If you're looking for an ISP, look no further. Best ISP I've ever had!

(In regards to their NBN service)

When it comes to service providers there are two main things I look for: Quality of the service and customer support/service. From the start, everything has been great with MATE Communicate. They deliver an amazing service and if/when things go sideways, there’s always a friendly person to assist me. I’ve just requested a speed upgrade, not because I need, but because their price is really inviting. Their prices are very competitive and, if you compare, you probably won’t find anything with a similar quality for a similar price.

Over the past year, my internet has been consistently good. Never dropped out, and if it slowed down, it was unnoticeable. Never had an issue. Keep in mind I’m a hard user. I’ve got many peripherals around the place, phones, computers, smart tvs, apple tv, sonos, etc.

Anyway, as I make sure to complain when things aren’t right, I also make sure to complement when the praise is genuinely deserved. In conclusion, I do recommend these guys to you, picky customer, who appreciates a friendly customer service and great service at a great price.

So far, the best ISP I’ve ever had. Keep in mind that I had many, and all of the previous ones gave a headache. But not MATE.

Start DateJanuary 2018
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi K.L., Thanks for your great feedback! Much appreciated. Regards, The MATE team

Terribly slow evening speeds, phone customer service needs attention.

Signed up with mate 17/08/2018, cancelled 28/03/2019. Coming from Amnet ADSL2 initially the speeds seemed fantastic achieving 30+Mbps downloads, that is until between the hours of 18:00-21:00 where I would average less than 1Mbps.

Being as busy as I have been working FIFO finally made a call the have it resolved, and instead of waiting on hold your call is directed to an answering machine and then they get back to you (at some point). This is extremely inconvenient if you have a window of time and can't take the return call... anyhow after 3 calls back and forward I finally spoke to someone to be told the issue was likely my end and multiple screen shots would have to be taken of speed test's then sent to Mate before they would even look into my issue.

Again being time poor it was much quicker to switch to Aussie Broadband and enjoy 30+Mbps and 20 times quicker ping (evening speeds) that same day, very happy. It would appear Mate are overselling their bandwidth.

Mate, as I was trying to explain over the phone my end appeared to be ok as I was still able to reach high speeds, just not in the evening. I also never had issues with evening speeds with my previous ISP which would at least prove my modem and line from my house to the node. Surely there is some other tests you can run before you assume the customer is at fault, it is honestly easier to switch ISP's.

Start DateSeptember 2018
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Justin, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise what your account number was so we can look into this issue? Regards, The MATE teamHi Vanessa, Account No: 624437 Thanks, JustinThanks for confirming Justin. Our internal management team will review your account and we will pass your feedback on.

My MATE is doing great

change to MATE Communicate while on adsl2 , then nbn 12 and soon after to nbn 25 FTTC with MATE Communicate, have a BYO router TP-link TD-W9960 , MATE helped me with router setup when nbn arrived and was up and running in no time,connection has not ever suffered drop outs or issues with speed , nbn 25 i receive 23.5mbps . your great MATE

Start DateSeptember 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi rooster, Many thanks for your fantastic review! Glad to hear we have provided you with a great experience. Regards, The MATE team

Very fast set up was no hassle and they set it up very quickly from time of first response
Excellent service
Has been very reliable during our time
Wouldn’t go with anyone else

Start DateOctober 2015
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Justin S, Thanks for your kind words and review! We appreciate your feedback and glad to hear the service has been reliable. Regards, The MATE team

Fantastic Service

Very happy with this internet provider. Not only have they got great NBN prices, but their service is outstanding. They are always so friendly and helpful and I never have to wait more than a few minutes to speak with someone. If they are busy, they always make sure to call me back within the next hour or less, which I love! that way, I don't have to stop what I'm doing to be on hold forever like other companies. I also love that I get to talk to a real Australian - no offshore people I can't understand. Not sure why everyone is having a whinge about the 12/1 NBN speed. My partner games online alot and I'm constantly streaming Netflix and Youtube and don't ever have a problem with the connection. 5 stars!

Start DateAugust 2018
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Elisha, Many thanks for your fantastic review! Glad to hear we have provided you with a great experience. Regards, The MATE team

Best customer service ever!

Literally the best customer service, they call back so quickly and are so patient and helpful.
I couldn't figure out how to configure my modem and they talked me through it on the phone.
I've been with Mate for 12 months, I've had a few issues due to the NBN side of things - but MATE are always so quick to help out and communicate next steps etc.

So so happy!

Start DateFebruary 2018
Contract Type24-month contract
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Kath, Very glad to hear our support team were so helpful! Thanks for your review! Regards, The MATE team

The best customer service you can get

Mate helped me out when no other ISP would. Their customer service is second to none, always friendly, and happy to help you out. Stable connection, no drop-outs, minimal congestion.

Start DateJune 2018
Connection TypeWireless
Hi tonester, Thanks for your kind words! We appreciate the feedback and glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience! Regards, The MATE team

Very happy with the service

I've been their customer over a year now and they are ALWAYS very helpful on the phone, they go the extra mile to assist the customer. Well trained, polite and efficient

Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Deb, Thanks for your kind words and review! We appreciate your feedback and glad to hear our support team have been helpful! Regards, The MATE team

Pathetic

I had nbn since 30 jan. had to get new router due to No internet connection and modem locked. Bought new modem and still no connection. Trouble shooting from nbn requested. Nbn troubleshooting connected me to the internet. Requested to have my bill reviewed as I had not had connection the whole time. No update on bill and service restricted. I had not even had internet connect for 5 days! then spoke to customer service who refused to do anything further with bill and service. I had to cancel my service all together as I need internet for my work. I hope that no one else encounters the drama I had to encounter.

Connection TypeI don't know
Hi Csea23, Thanks for your review. We can confirm that you signed up to MATE and opted to use a BYO modem. The reason you were unable to connect to the internet initially was because your BYO modem was locked and you were not able to use this modem with the service. As per the terms and conditions when you signed up, use of any MATE Internet plan requires a compatible modem/router. It is your responsibility to configure a BYO modem/router and to ensure this is compatible with the service. There was no fault with your Internet service and compensation can only be awarded from when a fault is first logged to the carrier to when the carrier advises that they have repaired a fault on their side of the connection. Compensation is not awarded if a fault or service disruption is deemed to be outside the NBP (Network Boundary Point), such as your modem not being compatible. In this case, we were unable to apply any credit as there was no fault on the service. Regards, The MATE teamThank you kindly for your reply! Unfortunately it wasn’t the router and was the nbn that required troubleshooting. Once one of your members had nbn troubleshoot my service it worked straight away and your service was brilliant during the 5 days that I was connected. You compensated me for 3 days ( once your members had identified it was the nbn and not the router). It didn’t have to be nasty, I simply asked if I could be compensated for the period that I had absolutely no connection to your service to which you accepted a three day waver but refused to waver the whole time that I had no service. I requested my bill to be reviewed and my service was restricted before I had been contacted. I also received a $22 late bill payment despite my bill been received during this time of my bill been reviewed?Hi Csea23, Apologies for missing this, we can confirm a fault was logged and resolved by nbn. As per our terms and conditions, a credit was provided to your account for this fault. Regards, The MATE team

Best decision!

We called MATE about a week ago to connect us to the NBN (HFC). They said it will take about 4-6 weeks to setup, but to our surprise only a few days later we received a text staying the NBN technician will be out in a few days time. He was at the house for about 3 hours setting up the NBN modem and the Netcomm modem. He also fixed a few connections outside.

Once he left they said we would get our connection up and running in 24 business hours. It was up well under that too! We ordered the 100/40 NBN (HFC) package and was suprised to see that our speeds were actually hitting expectations. We got 93 download and 35 upload on our 5Ghz. This is using Google Wifi as well.

Overall great service and would highly recommend MATE to anyone that is looking to upgrade to the NBN.

Start DateJuly 2017
Connection TypeHFC (Cable)
Hi Josh, Thanks for your great feedback! Glad to hear we could get this up and running quickly for you! Regards, The MATE team

worth every penny

I have nbn with Mate for a long time now and always reliable close to the speed i am paying for.
Now the new mobile sim only, no contract service... it was activated just a few minutes ago in less than an hour after online activation so service are excellent as always. If its using telstras network then should be fine and much cheaper for more data.. so far i think its worth it..

Connection TypeI don't know
Hi krausz, Wow, many thanks for the great feedback! Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review! Regards, The MATE team

A quality of service rarely seen these days

I've had a few issues with my new NBN connection - but when I've needed them (setting up, drop outs, a total service disconnection) Mate helped me right out, right away.

Standalone or BundledBundled
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi GLK, Thanks for your positive feedback. Glad to hear you are happy with us. Regards, The MATE team.

Excellent service, cannot rate it any higher than 5 star, but would if I could.

Problem with slow NBN on startup, but was resolved by MATE almost straight away. NBN was organized by MATE and a tech called bye and fixed their wiring. No dropouts in 4 months and whenever we have contacted them to clarify something, they are always very helpful, efficient and courteous.

Start DateDecember 2018
Standalone or BundledBundled
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Tony, Wow, thanks for your fantastic feedback! Glad to hear we have provided a great service. Regards, The MATE team