Mate NBN 12 (Good Mates)

I’m a fan - and I’m over 70!

I had a very reliable Mate service at my last address - nbn and mobile phone- and having just moved have found the help available to reconnect over the phone fantastic. Pretty good when you’re 74!

Start DateJune 2018
Connection TypeI don't know
Hi 70 year old, Very glad to hear you're a fan! Happy to hear our team have been helpful. Regards, The MATE team

Using the basic connection

Evenings at peak viewing times was very hard to get a good signal and internet drop out so much i have to give up trying . After support contacted me to sort my problem it has now been resolved by using a better performing router suited to my house. Support was very helpful and patient.

Connection TypeI don't know
Hi Terry, Thanks for your review! Very glad to hear our support team were helpful and could resolve the issue for you. Regards, The MATE team

Highly recommend

Mate Communicate provides a very good service. They're easy to get help from on the phone. They're really good value. No lock in contract. No complaints. Though with movies buffers a bit on my plan. I highly recommend them.

Start DateFebruary 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi Jane, Thanks for taking the time to leave us with this review! Happy to hear we provide you with good service! Regards, The MATE team

Not a problem so far

Really fast internet and customer service for the best price (in my opinion of course) I won't give 5 stars just because they are so bloody annoying sending emails to review them (way to many) until you finally do...

Connection TypeWireless
Hi Lindsey B, Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review. We apologise if you were unhappy with us sending you an email regarding a product review - we send these occasionally to our customers in order to share their experience with MATE. Glad to hear your internet is fast and our customer service has been helpful! Regards, The MATE team

NBN connection, great.

We haven't had any dropouts so far and are happy with the service. Mate was easy to deal with and helpful through the process. We were connected in no time.

Start DateJuly 2019
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi David, Thanks for taking the time to leave us with this review. Glad to hear you are happy with us and your internet service has been working well. Regards, The MATE team.

As good as I've had so far...

Without doubt Mate are so far ahead of our old provider, iiNet, that it's like chalk & cheese.
Service, response, resolution, patience, bang for buck - all of it are what iiNet fail to provide (in our case anyway which is why we moved all our internet providers over to Mate)
If there's a glitch in the ointment it's that Mate are beholden to NBN who are reverting to the former unaccountable & lacklustre Telstra performer of yore.

Why only 4 stars instead of 5 if Mate are as good as I've had? Hours of business. If they could be accessed before 0800 WAST (2 hours after they open in Sydney) then getting issues addressed & resolved before the commencement of the working day could be limited.

Start DateDecember 2017
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi David, Thanks for the review! Appreciate the feedback in regards to operating hours and will pass it on to the relevant team to review. Regards, The MATE team

My CCTV cameras stopped working since I switched to NBN. IP address changes every 30 seconds.

- Slow
- unreliable (gets disconnected often)
- My security cameras don’t work anymore
- Price is similar to other providers
- The only good thing is no contract and no commitment
That’s all I can say

Start DateApril 2019
Connection TypeHFC (Cable)
Hi Steve, Sorry to hear this. We can confirm we offer a static IP address with nbn services, so your IP address should not be changing. We can't see that you have contacted our support team to report any issues with your service? If you are experiencing issues, we will need to troubleshoot. We have organised our support team to contact you ASAP so we can troubleshoot. Regards, The MATE team

Excellent quick service

I received the modem within 3 days of the order and the set up was very simple. There was an issue with the NBN box as I use Wireless NBN. The call centre was very helpful. There were no lengthy on holds or overseas call centre experience. The issue was fixed quickly. we are very happy with the service

Contract Type12-month contract
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Yasas S. Thanks for taking the time to leave us with this review! Glad to hear you are happy with us. Regards, The MATE team.

Fast delivery of new service

New NBN Service was up and running within 6 days of ordering with constant updates via email and sms on status of delivery and has been working without a hitch since.

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi James, Thanks for the review! Glad to hear we could get you connected so quickly. Regards, The MATE team

Great customer service

I had to get a new router connected (previously had someone do it for me) and couldn't work it out with the login details I got. I called tech support after work and they walked me through it step by step. We changed a couple of digits and settings and off it went.
I only have a few things connected at the moment so I'll see how I go with streaming things like Netflix with the Good mates plan. Previously I had the Great mates which worked a charm with several devices streaming at once.

Start DateJanuary 2017
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Ingrid, Thanks for providing us with this feedback, and glad to hear our support team were helpful! Regards, The MATE team

Great Customer Service

As a person living alone with disabilities when it came time to connect to the NBN I needed to make sure I kept my landline with its original number and that any incoming phone calls would be forwarded onto my mobile that I carry with me 24/7. So, through March, April and May I was reassured by the ever PATIENT Mate's Support Team members, who I would like to name here Steven x2, Adrian x2, Daniel, David, Kevin, Tony and Sam, that my requirements were possible and would be carried out. And now all steps have been faultlessly completed I need to send my sincere THANKS and praise 'Mate' as an organisation and its training of its Support Team members as being first class!

Connection TypeI don't know
Hi Deborah, Wow, what can we say! Many thanks for your kind words and feedback. We will pass your review onto the whole team here and thank you again for taking the time to compliment us! Enjoy the service! Regards. The MATE tea

Can't fault anything

I called around 3pm on a Saturday afternoon to find out what was available at my place. I was a bit apprehensive as didn't know much about NBN, and wasn't sure about using a company I didn't know anything about. Seeing as NBN is not owned by Telstra like the phone lines are, and with no contract I thought I'd give them a go. The guy I spoke with knew what he was talking about. He suggested starting on the lowest priced plan as I could change at any time, advised I could buy my own router rather than their modem as I have FTTP, and even emailed a list of recommended ones. Within a few hours I was online! Haven't had any issues with service, connection or speed. If any of your friends sign up you get $50 credit, so one a month could pay for your internet. Plus their call centre is in Western Sydney not offshore. I highly recommend them.

Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Lee, Many thanks for taking the time to leave us this review! Glad to hear we have provided a good experience! Regards, The MATE team

Amazing service and would 100% recommend to anyone looking for a new internet company!

Today, after abominable service from my previous provider, I cancelled my home internet. My friend had glowing reviews about Mate, stating how she's on the NBN12 with her brother, how it they both stream and play at the same time with no issues, how quick it was to install and how affordable it is.
I was at my wits end after being super mucked around with my previous provider, who recently sold my account to a newer provider (Mynetfone to southern phone) who I left today, and I enquired online with Mate. Vanessa was amazing, quick and informative, organising a call back for me in my lunch break to discuss getting sorted with Mate. I missed the calls as was late to lunch, but rang Mate and Frank from Sales was an absolute legend. Thanks to him and Vanessa (and now, Adrian from tech support as well), I am now fully connected to my new internet which is better in wifi strength and speed already and cheaper than what I was paying! I recommend management to review the recordings of Frank and Adrian and Vanessa as they all deserve a raise and huge praise for their excellent service. Very very happy customer here.

Start DateMay 2019
Connection TypeI don't know
HI Darcy C, Wow, what can we say! Many thanks for your kind words and we will certainly pass your feedback onto Vanessa, Frank and Adrian! We appreciate your support! Regards, The MATE team

Mostly Great

Switched here after technical issues with a previous provider... My connection is mostly stable and reasonably fast for downloads etc, movies even though I have a basic plan. I have never had longer dropouts. I can have a dropout, but it never lasted more than 30 minutes or so. I have found customer service really easy to communicate with and friendly (even though I didn't have to do this much) - and absolute BREEZE of fresh air after my previous issues with another provider, which was maddening. I appreciate these guys!

Start DateFebruary 2017
Connection TypeWireless
Hi NicoleS, Very glad to hear you have had a good experience so far! Thanks for sharing your feedback and we are glad to hear that our customer service team have been friendly and easy to communicate with. Regards, The MATE team

Not existent technical support - TERRIBLE!

Since NBN was installed my internet has stopped working. The NBN network and router works perfectly and the technician has been very helpful, on the other hand my router connected to Mate stopped working from installation time. It’s now been 3 weeks and still no connection. Mate technical support has been non existent, they refuse to send a technician over and the only solution I was provided with was to buy another modem even if we don’t know if that’s the actual problem. They have been playing blaming games so to not actually provide technical service (who knows if they have any at this stage) Theyr customer survive has also been shocking throughout this experience, they have been extremely rude, hard to reach and also despite the fact that they have left me for 3 weeks without internet - and who knows how much longer - they expect me to pay for the service. If you are considering going on Mate because they don’t require an installation fee DON’T DO IT, It’s not worth it!

Start DateAugust 2018
Connection TypeI don't know
Hi FlS, We are sorry to hear this, this does not sound right. Can you please advise your MATE Code/account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE teamHi Vanessa, Thanks for reaching out. Mate has already been "looking into this issue" with results and manners as described above. Mate code here: 622403Hi FIS, Thanks for providing the account details. We can confirm we have logged a fault with nbn and they advised that found no fault on the network up to the network boundary point (NBP) of your premises. A manager will contact you today to discuss further. Regards, The MATE team

Amazing company

I am so impressed by this company. I called to connect in the evening and by the following the morning I had internet! So easy. And the service was immaculate. Seriously great company. After so many companies with bad service and problems this was a complete breeze! I highly recommend.

Start DateApril 2019
Connection TypeWireless
Hi JHE, Very glad to hear this! Thanks for your great feedback! Regards, The MATE team

My MATE is doing great

change to MATE Communicate while on adsl2 , then nbn 12 and soon after to nbn 25 FTTC with MATE Communicate, have a BYO router TP-link TD-W9960 , MATE helped me with router setup when nbn arrived and was up and running in no time,connection has not ever suffered drop outs or issues with speed , nbn 25 i receive 23.5mbps . your great MATE

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi rooster, Many thanks for your fantastic review! Glad to hear we have provided you with a great experience. Regards, The MATE team

Fantastic Service

Very happy with this internet provider. Not only have they got great NBN prices, but their service is outstanding. They are always so friendly and helpful and I never have to wait more than a few minutes to speak with someone. If they are busy, they always make sure to call me back within the next hour or less, which I love! that way, I don't have to stop what I'm doing to be on hold forever like other companies. I also love that I get to talk to a real Australian - no offshore people I can't understand. Not sure why everyone is having a whinge about the 12/1 NBN speed. My partner games online alot and I'm constantly streaming Netflix and Youtube and don't ever have a problem with the connection. 5 stars!

Start DateAugust 2018
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Elisha, Many thanks for your fantastic review! Glad to hear we have provided you with a great experience. Regards, The MATE team

Don't waste your time

My misses had the internet hooked up while i was away. When i rang to discuss how terrible the service was i was blown away when he informed me its nbn. After troubleshooting and just having them tell me the connection is good and they were no help at all i started testing different modems and wired connections. The connection was choppy at best. For gaming and streaming you tube etc its a joke. We have moved to telstra and wow the connection is mind boggling exactly what nbn should be like. What annoyed me was mate was too interested in blaming my devices and my connection or modem (which they supplied) or the plan i was on than actually try get the connection better. Don't waste your time

Start DateJune 2018
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi James, Thanks for your review. We can confirm the account holder signed up for the basic nbn 12 plan, which as we repeatedly advised to you, is not designed for online gaming. This is a basic nbn plan with speeds comparable to an ADSL service. Your connection was tested over the phone with a support representative and your line sync was recorded as 13Mbps which is the maximum available on the plan that was selected. There was no issue at all with your nbn service. If you have moved to Telstra and the connection is faster, then it is likely that you are provisioned on a faster plan, most likely the nbn 25 or nbn 50. These options were available for you to upgrade, and this was advised to you. All the best with your new provider. Regards, The MATE teamAbsolutely appalling to provide a service of nbn slower than adsl. The service was not even able stream you tube, netflix, or play games. Ive been gaming for a long time and know the difference between stability vs download speed. Online gaming is NOT i repeat NOT about download size its about stability. My mobile used as a wifi hot spot was better than your 588 dollar a year basic plan. There were times you tube just stopped playing and never loaded. I had a adviser show me how to log onto the modem and check sync speed. I refreshed it every second for 20 minutes straight while a simple you tube video was stuck buffering. It sat at 13962kb and that number didn't change ever! From the first time i checked it over a week ago to the 100 times i refreshed it. NO internet in the world is that good. To turn around and say your internet is that good is down right laughable. I rang you on many occasions to try and get decent internet and each time i was met with ignorant staff who kept telling me how good your internet is and it must be my devices or the modem (you sold us for 149 dollars) enough is enough. If in fact your basic plan is worse than adsl dont sell it period and especially at such a high price. At one of my premises i get 90mb download and 10mb upload for 69 dollars and thats not even nbn and its incredible. I have been using internet and gaming way to long to be told by some new company on the market that its the plan im on and i need to pay for more speed. My advice to you is to offer your next customer a much better resolution and response than just telling them its there devices or the modem. Offer them a month trial at higher speed to check if thats the issue offer them a different modem. We did everything you suggested. We tried running unsightly cables across our kitchen and lounge room floor. We tried different devices and then when i called back to give results i was shown how to check the speed which never moved even by. .001 of a kb after refreshing it for over 30 minutes while looking at you tube video buffering on a cable connection coming from YOUR modem. The information from the modem is completely fake nonsense.Hi James, The nbn 12 plan was the service the account holder selected to sign up to. The line sync rate is FIXED based on the plan selected and does not change as the maximum speed of this plan is 12Mbps. This is not fake information but is the line sync of the service. As advised, there was no issue at all with your nbn service - you signed up to the basic nbn plan with speeds up to 12Mbps and this was what delivered. Regards, The MATE team

Great customer service and NBN just works

The connection setup was super fast - within a few hours. Connection is reliable and reaching advertised speeds. The price is very competitive.

I have also an extra 3 months on the initial special deal I signed up for. What a nice change to be valued as an existing customer as opposed to just trying to lure new customers!

Overall very happy customer. Thanks MATE :)

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi IgorB, Glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience! Thanks for your review, we appreciate it! Regards, The MATE team