Mate NBN 25 (Great Mates)

Mate NBN 25 (Great Mates)

Customer service equal voicemail

I have been using mate connection since 8 odd months initially with ADSL and then NBN. For months I initially endured their slow ADSL connection speed and once NBN connection was available at my premises I opted for a good speed NBN connection. The speed is ok however am not getting the 25 Mbps as per the speed an paying for but getting around 14-15 Mbps. The NBN connection is now down for couple of days and their customer care is operating only till 7pm during weekdays - hence hope for your net outage at least before 7pm if you wish to talk to someone. The other issue is that the customer service very rarely answers your calls but ask you to leave voicemail as they are busy on other calls and then they call back. Hence more often than not you need to be available to answer their call if you need any support rather than they being available to support us during our time of need.

Start DateOctober 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Sane, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your MATE Code/account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE teamAccount number is 626212

Waste of money

I've been using Mate for 8 months. The speed was always terrible and I had connection problem since the beginning, but the customer service could fix the problem through the phone, even if I've been without internet for a couple of days every time.
10 days ago I had the usual drop off and once again I called the support, but they could't fix the problem, so my case has been sent to the carrier for an ulterior check. They said that it could take 24/48 hours and I was already without internet for 2 days. The carrier replied that there were no problems with the NBN, so I had to make ONCE AGAIN several calls to the support for a further troubleshoot. In the end they said that wasn't they're fault but they said that it could be my ethernet cable. Also during one of my phone calls, a guy from the customer service, offered to deduct the days without internet from the bill, but that was a lie because a few days later (beginning of April) I received the bill and I payed the full amount, including the days I was promised would be removed due to not having internet. Anyway, I didn't say anything because I knew that it was a lost battle and I don't have time to waste in discussion. So I bought a new cable, I called the support again and after several calls I had internet back. But this is not a happy ending story, it's a never ending story. After 10 days HERE I AM AGAIN!!!!! same problem same story and I've been without internet for 3 days now!!!! Last evening I called the support for a further troubleshoot and I also asked for a refund for the days without internet, because I'm paying for nothing!! But guess!!! This time they blamed my router and they said: NO it's not our fault NBN is working, so you can't get a refund you have to change your router or try with another laptop!! I bought the router 7 months ago when I activated with MATE, but the support guy said: well..you know...things brakes when they're old!!!! This is just crazy I'm sick of being messed around and making me believe it was on my end or my hardware. So this evening when I go home, I'll try to call the support again for the millionth time and I'll use a new router (another waste of money). If it's not going to help I'll cancel my subscription STRAIGHT AWAY this is clear. I'm not the person that complains for every single thing but this company is testing my patience and I have had enough of this messing about.

Start DateAugust 2018
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Benedetta, Very sorry to hear this. We have organised our support team to contact you ASAP so we can troubleshoot and try and resolve your issue. Regards, The MATE team

Yes there are speed drops!

so i've been told and heard that the company has no speed drops during the peak hours and NBN works smoothly. hence, still low speed at times and it happens frequently. I've called to change speed and get a better plan and they mentioned they're not able to change speed until the pay day which for me was in 27 days! i really don't understand why this can happen!

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi tallebi, Sorry to hear this. We can confirm that any plan changes can only be actioned at the start of your billing cycle and can't be changed mid-month. The plan will change on this date as you would have been advised and we hope you won't have any further issues. Regards, The MATE team

Very happy with the service

I've been their customer over a year now and they are ALWAYS very helpful on the phone, they go the extra mile to assist the customer. Well trained, polite and efficient

Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Deb, Thanks for your kind words and review! We appreciate your feedback and glad to hear our support team have been helpful! Regards, The MATE team

No issues so far, Mate Communicate have been great to deal with right from the start! We have been extremely happy with our service so far. There have been a few times that we have had to wait for things to buffer but this has not been an ongoing issue.

Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Michelle, Many thanks for your great review, we appreciate the feedback! Regards, The MATE team

It rhymes with Barry Crocker - you guessed it, shocker

I am not sure if this is a result of Mate service or just the NBN connection (which may be out of their hands) but since changing from Telstra ADSL2 (because we had no choice) our internet connection is painfully slow.

It constantly freezes when watching I View for instance and YouTube or Vimeo Videos are too frustrating to even bother win. It is only my wife and I using it - a middle aged couple whose usage is pretty modest. Usually just the two of us watching Netflix or Catch-up TV.

We rang Mate (you can never seem to get through on the phone and have to leave messages) but to their credit they rang back and said they would get an NBN report done. The next day we received an email saying the NBN report suggested that, given our distance from the node (1200 metres or there about) and the copper connection, the speeds we are getting are the best we can expect.

That's it. Nowhere to go from there. Never had any trouble with ADSL but this NBN connection is no better than a couple of jam tins and a bit of string

Start DateDecember 2018
Connection TypeI don't know
Hi Mike, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your MATE code/account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?My name is Michael not Doug. Account number 631628Hi Michael, Thanks for confirming and apologies for the error. We have organised our support team to contact you ASAP to discuss further. Regards, The MATE team

Very happy

Average speeds of 23/5 all day. Speedy, pleasant customer service. Been with Mate for a few months now and have not had any problems/dropouts so far.
Good price and reliable. Would recommend

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Lachlan, Thanks for your feedback! Great to hear. Regards, The MATE team

Cant Fault It

Mate Communicate had difficulty locating the apt unit as it was a new apt, but with the right attitude and patience we eventually go there and everything including the NBN development connection was up and running and haven't had a single issue to date! Great service, great call center, keep It up!

Connection TypeI don't know
Hi Vaughn, Many thanks for your great feedback! Glad to hear we could sort out the issue for you! Regards, MATE team

Expectation doesn't equal reality

Did not live up to the expectation given by the reviews on here (not sure if they are able have fake or paid reviews). Substandard speed compared with what they promised and a $10 increase in my bill 6 months into using them without any further notice to me was enough to put me off mate. Would not recommend.

Start DateJune 2018
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Adrian R, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? If you are experiencing issues please contact our support team on 1300 876 283 so we can investigate.