MATE Communicate

MATE Communicate (page 2 of 72)

ADSL and NBN
4.4 from 1,437 reviews

Great service at a great price...

Internet speed has been fast, very close to what I signed up for (NBN50) so no complaints there...
While there's been the very very occasional dropout, none have lasted more than a few minutes.
Although I was previously a customer with MATE (ADSL), when I swapped to NBN they offered a cheaper price for 6 months, something that, at the time was only for new customers.

I also really like the fact that if you have any troubles you're dealing with Aussies, and not some overseas call centre!

Really happy to recommend MATE Communicate!

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Russell, Glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience! Thanks for your review, we appreciate it! Regards, The MATE team

Finally An Aussie Based Service

We needed to transfer away from Telstra as they had become impossible to deal with and offer nil customer support with any true substance. Mate did our transfer and had us up and running the next Day. The Initial Customer interaction with them was a breath of fresh air and if you need a new internet provider get on board. Aussie Aussie Aussie . Thanks Mate

Connection TypeNBN FTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi RXTHREE, Thanks for sharing your experience mate! Glad to hear you are happy! Regards, MATE team

Unreliable and irresponsible service once got into connect trouble!!

I’ve been joined that mate more than half year, at the beginning internet so far so good, sometimes dropped out every few days but still can accept. However, since September, internet became very not stable, WiFi connection show full but no internet can reach which happened every fews day and last for a week or more, especially last two month! You can say their mate staff speak good English and friendly compared to many big company oversea support centre but this mate totally can’t perform the necessary job as a service provider when customer experiencing internet technical problem!

Called up hotline many many times, they just advised fault was logged but if arrange technician to check, callout fee will under users’ own expenses if no fault found at Telstra line or just suggest user to find private technician to check in your own cost. If you think customer need to find out and check the internet problem by themselves, then what is this mate doing!?

Connection TypeADSL/ADSL2+
Hi Christopher, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE teamMy ac no is 625789 ChrisHi Christopher, Thanks for confirming. A Telstra technician has tested the line to your premises and confirmed all tests are passing. No fault has been found on Telstra's network or equipment. We would recommend checking your internal wiring. We can also see you have lodged a TIO complaint. Regards, The MATE team

Mixed opinion

I have been a mate customer for approximately two years now, over two addresses.
My first experience was great. Customer service was friendly and helpful. Set-up for NBN was quick. I never had any problems at all throughout my first year with them.
Now when I moved is when the issues began. There were arguments over who owned rights to the phone line at my address (optus or telstra). They were trying to charge me $300 for a new connection fee even though I knew the internet had been connected here with the previous tenants. They put it on me to prove who owned the line, which I think is just downright ridiculous. Their communication wasn't great either, with different stories being told by different staff members. Also did not communicate amongst themselves either.
I could only get ADSL to begin with. It was okay to begin with, but the service declined fast. Was then told this was because I had to be moved to NBN. Great, the service will improve! Well, not much..
I get fairly frequent drop outs. Had a tech come out and fix some faults. But, he mentioned I'm quite far from the node, and in fact should never have been moved to NBN.
Speeds aren't great, and still have a moderate amount of dropouts. So all in all, I think their service is very dependent upon where you live. This is true of all internet providers, but their customer service has proven to be somewhat disappointing also.
Would I recommend? Perhaps. But with a caution attached. And only because they are the lesser of all evils when dealing with telecommunications providers.

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Jade, We are sorry to hear you are disappointed with our customer service. Can you please advise your current account number so we can look into your service? In regards to the technician stating that you should never have been moved to nbn, the nbn government rollout is forcing all households onto the nbn so you do not have a choice - you must move to nbn eventually. If you are experiencing issues please contact our support team on 1300 876 283 so we can investigate. Regards, MATE team

How is MATE not a nation-wide brand!?

We used MATE for the first time over a year ago in an apartment experiencing close to the 100MB speed we were paying for, and they exceeded our ISP expectations more than any other company we've previously used. They helped us select a strong modem (that wasn't theirs), helped us set it up, and turned the connection on in no time.

After a trip overseas where we had to cancel our account (which was free because they lack contracts), we returned moving into a new building and returned to MATE having a previously great experience. We use their modem, again on the 100MB plan, and it's as fast as the 'up market' modem we previously used! The connection was quickly turned on (which again surprised us having previously waited weeks with other providers AND because the building is new), their service is all local, they answer calls and return them when you can't get through, the service is always friendly and accommodating (they extended a payment due date when our debit card was cancelled due to financial scamming), and the plan prices are really competitive. They even give a reward when you refer a friend.

We're BIG fans of MATE and encourage you to be their mate too!

Connection TypeNBN FTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi Luke, Wow, thanks for the fantastic review! Glad to hear you are so happy with us. Regards, The MATE team.I'll be reducing this review rating to 3 stars. Unfortunately at our commercial premises, we have an ADSL connection and experience speeds no greater than 6Mbps. The low speed (which we’re aware isn’t MATE’s fault) means Spotify drops out (a simple task), and we have security cameras because internet speeds cause the feed to lag up to a minute behind (a more advanced task), has led us to cancel the service given we aren't experience it's full benefits. Our gripe is the billing cycle ends on the 11/1, and our bill arrived today (15/1), which prompted us to cancel the internet. Because we're 4 days after billing cycle, MATE still wants us to pay for the month ahead (February) even though there's little point to keeping the internet on except that it means MATE can still charge us. Initially I said we'll keep it on for February, but when I realised the service is redundant being unable to do basics, I asked to cancel it from today. Your billing team said that despite that it's only 4 days after the billing cycle, despite that we have a home account with MATE (at a higher rate), and despite looking to keep a customer who's referred MATE business happy in the long term, the month ahead fee still stands and we have to pay it. Seem silly now to turn it off if we HAVE to pay for it… That puts profit before customer satisfaction. It also puts my desire to refer other customers to you to your detriment, so though you are making $69 here and now, you stand to lose me to another provider if a better one comes along, I'm reducing a review rating, and I'm led to withhold business in future. Bit of a disappointment, ‘mate’.Hi Luke, We are sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE team

Not helping at all when you have a faulty issue

I thought mate was my ‘mate’ for the first few months I even recommended to my friends. However, from 4 months I have been using this, there are few issues with internet connection. Frequent disconnectinon and very low download speed. And the finally it’s been disconnected for 4 days now but there are not updating or resolve. Even though you call them you only able to leave a message and they would send you a text. Telling you they are working on it and will be contacted you in 24~48 hours later. I had this text twice and one email.
Just hopeless I am not totally able to get any help from anyone except a text message or email.
Really annoying. Looking for another broadband company.

Connection TypeADSL/ADSL2+
Hi Suyoun, Sorry to hear this. We have organised our support team to contact you ASAP to discuss. Regards, The MATE team

The best

We love mate and have been with them for well over a year and have never had an issue. We are always recommended Mate to everyone.

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Joe, Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you are happy! Regards, MATE team

Waayyyyy better than Optus

These guys are wayyyyyy better than Optus (worst customer service in the world). Mate where have you been all my life!? Great speed, great customer service (Australian based - not offshore). All round great product - happy customer!

Connection TypeADSL/ADSL2+
Hi Sid, Thanks for the review, it's always good to hear positive feedback! Glad to hear we have provided a better experience than Optus. Regards, The MATE team

Highly recommended! Will not switch to any other.

Making the switch to MATES Communication was the best thing ever.
Reliable FTTP connection, and the prices are very competitive and affordable than giant competitors!
I have had no issues with connection except when there is a NBN outage due to weather or other reasons but i have not experienced any outage longer than 30 mins since my 6 months being with MATES.

Also they give great incentives such as when you sign up you get a $10 discount for 6 months (that was when i started) and today i got an email saying it was about to expire but they have extended that further 3 months. $89 for the top tier NBN speed plan, what could you want more.

Connection TypeNBN FTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Raj D, Glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience! Thanks for your review, we appreciate it! Regards, The MATE team

Best ISP around

MATE Communications have been phenomenal thus far. Great speed, best price and set up/connection was an absurdly fast turn around.

Connection TypeNBN FTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi Dylan, Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you are happy! Regards, MATE team

Avoid! Worst internet provider I've ever seen.

Why? Because their "Aussie" support is terrible. Please have the decency and don't call it Aussie. You are giving it a bad name.

1. The tech support is terrible. They neither have the knowledge nor the tools to provide quality service (given that they charge a premium price).
2. The support is slow and doesn't give a damn that you have problem. They don't even take the responsibility.

Here's my story:

I joined 3mo ago based on the reviews on this site and canceled after 2mo.

I was experiencing very low speed (2Mbps) since the beginning. I called the tech support and they told me "No worries mate! It's normal" which was clearly not true. When I insisted on troubleshooting, they just called my phone line and said it sounds clear! No measurement or anything! When I asked what is the average speed in my area they couldn't even answer that.

After a month I was disconnected (the line was dead). It took a week for their support to find the problem and send a technician. After fixing the line the internet speed jumped to 8Mbps! They didn't even bother to reimburse me for the period that I didn't have internet which they must.

Connection TypeADSL/ADSL2+
Hi HPS, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE team.Account #628783 closed effective as of 22/12/2018.Hi HPS, Thanks for confirming. We have reviewed your account history and can confirm you were initially provisioned on an ADSL1 connection, as ADSL2 was not available at the time your service was activated. We checked your estimated speeds according to the Telstra database and based on the distance from your premises to the exchange, average speeds you would be able to achieve on an ADSL1 service should have been anywhere from 2Mbps - 6.9Mbps - the information provided by our team was correct. A ticket was then raised with Telstra to attempt to move your service from ADSL1 to ADSL2 and this was successful. We are sorry to hear you feel our support was inadequate, however, the information provided to you was correct. The speeds that we provide on your ADSL connection are influenced heavily on two factors: 1: The distance your premises is from the local exchange - the closer you are the better; 2: Quality of the copper line that runs to your premises. The better the quality of the copper line, the better the reliability and speed of the service. We will always provide the theoretical maximum speed the line can achieve on an ADSL service however actual speeds you will receive will vary due to a number of factors such as your distance from an exchange, quality of the copper, the network connecting the exchange, your equipment and software and internet traffic. We are sorry to hear you were unsatisfied and wish you all the best with your new provider. Regards, The MATE team

Best mates ever!

Reliable and stable NBN for the best price. It's been nearly 6 months and I can't remember any downtimes. I feel like we're going to be mates for a long time.

Connection TypeI don't know
Hi msxavi, Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you are happy! Regards, MATE team.

Not a Problem with Mate

We have had quality connection in our new property. Mate have answered all our questions etc. promptly and professionally.

I would connect again!

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi SamF, Glad to hear you are so happy with us, thanks for your review! Regards, The MATE team.

Very professional and great customer service

MATE were fantastic from the get go. I had just purchased my first home, and was trying to find out which internet services I could acquire, they responded promptly and were very helpful in sorting out how to get me set up (and fix up errors in Telstra's records). Getting to chat to an Australian customer service team makes things so much easier!

The connection itself is adequate, it's ADSL so it's unfortunately quite slow and struggles during peak times, but that's no fault of MATE. Hopefully once NBN rolls out in my area things will improve. I bought their pre-configured modem/router and it works without issue.

Connection TypeADSL/ADSL2+
Hi Michael, Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you are happy with us! Regards, MATE team

An average ISP with great customer support.

Frequent congestion issues. A lot. (you may have a different experience depending on where you live.)
I suspect this issue may be compounded by the iPrimus/Vocus group being trash.

No drop outs (again, dependent on your setup and line quality.)

Great customer support, they even call you when you don't expect it, was really nice. Not particularly what I'm looking for as a power user, so long as the rep can actually do his/her job, then I don't care. Reminds me of Adam Internet before it got absorbed by the iiBorg/TPG.

They may be resistant to actually helping though. They off-handed my belief that there is/was congestion around my area and will be the reason why I will be leaving soon.

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Josh, Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review. Glad to hear you were happy with our customer support, we understand we are not going to appeal to everyone but thanks for your feedback. Did we end up raising a fault with the carrier for your issue? Can you please advise your account number so we can look into this ASAP? Regards, MATE team

Best internet provider

I decided to go with Mate after having troubles with TPG- and I’m so glad I did! Everyone I speak to over the phone at Mate is super helpful and the texts I receive about (infrequent) outages are a great way of keeping me informed. Definitely recommend

Connection TypeNBN FTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi Kat, Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you are happy! Regards, MATE team.

The Promised LAN

I secured a fast and reliable internet connection on the NBN Best Mates plan, in one day. Mates Communiate Customer Service were extremely helpful over the phone when I called to register the service and the technical team were just has helpful when I needed tech support to connect and use my existing NETGEAR modem. Leave set-up fuss and lock-in contracts back in 2009 with lagging! 10/10 recommend.

Connection TypeNBN FTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi Julie Asha, Glad to hear you are so happy with us, thanks for your review! Regards, The MATE team.

Decent

Service is fairly reliable. I was having dropout issues once a day, Mate communicate got this resolved, now it only happens once or twice a month which is ok, restarting the router will often fix it. Price is a little high, would appreciate a discount if connected for over a year etc.

Connection TypeNBN FTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Jeremy, Thanks for your review! Regards, MATE team.

Good for the start

When I got MATE connection, it was working perfectly for first six months but it's giving me trouble from last few weeks. It freezes every two minutes. My wifi modem is connected properly but still I don't get enough speed.i contacted company but still no help.

Connection TypeADSL/ADSL2+
Hi Jyoti, We can see you have spoken to our team on the Saturday 29th December. We can see your service holds good line connection, currently holding a 48 hour session since you spoke to us on Saturday. We can see on Saturday when you spoke to our support team, you logged into your TP-LINK modem and confirmed line speed of 14.1mbps / 1.09mbps and you also ran a WiFi speed test reporting speeds of 11.83mbps/0.92mbps. This troubleshooting does not point to any particular issue with the line, however please call our support team and they can log a fault with Telstra if you wish. We would suggest speaking to the TP-LINK as the drops seem to be modem related. Regards, The MATE team

So much better than my previous provider!

I was on an ADSL2 plan with iiNet - with whom I was getting 1 or 2 mb download during peak.

After switching to an ADSL2 plan with MATE, I'm now getting 12 mb download during peak.

The whole switch over process only took 10 business days, starting from me initially requesting the change, to when my new connection was live.

Their customer service team also responded to all my emails within an hour!

Very happy customer!

Connection TypeADSL/ADSL2+
Hi Andy T, Thanks for sharing your experience. Glad to hear you are happy with us! Regards, MATE team.