Mate NBN 50 (Best Mates)

Mate NBN 50 (Best Mates)

Good provider. Feels like it's getting slower though.

I have been with Mate for around 10 months now. On the whole they are a great provider and I haven't had any issues with them which is a big plus. I have only recently noticed that my speed seems to have slowed down a bit. Streaming freeview on the TV at night can sometimes buffer, whereas previously this was never an issue, I wouldn't expect this on the best mates package when only 3 devices are using the internet, 2 browsing and one streaming. At time of writing the speedtest shows downloads speeds of 26.15 mbps which is off peak and only 1 device connected, this is a fair bit short from the advertised average 39 mbps peak speed for 3 devices.

Start DateJuly 2018

Constant lags in gaming

Been more than a year with MATE and was good for the first 6 months or so. My experience has been worse and worse over time but I didn't bother to switch. Now it come to a point that I literally can't play a single RTS/FPS game at night. I'm switching for sure.

Start DateApril 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeSatellite (Sky Muster)
Hi Nick, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your MATE Code/account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?

Continuous drop out

I am more disconnected than I'm connected and the speed they claim for NBN 50 is just a big lie. I don't recommend them and will move as soon as I find a reliable 4G internet.

Start DateJune 2018
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Mehdi, Sorry to hear this. We have checked your network logs and your service has been fantastic for the most part until April. We have organised our support team to contact you ASAP so we can troubleshoot. Regards, The MATE team

Great Customer Service and awesome speeds!

I called in and signed up with a lady named Vanessa, who was very helpful. After being with DODO and being super unimpressed with their service, I decided to try somewhere else. Mate had me connected on a nbn 50 plan wth my HFC service quite fast and since setting up the connection, I have not noticed any issues with drop outs or low speeds. It just works as it should!

Very happy so far, thanks Mate!

Start DateMarch 2019
Connection TypeHFC (Cable)
Hi Daniel F, Wow, what can we say! Thanks for taking the time to leave us this great review. Glad to hear Vanessa was helpful, we will pass on your feedback :-) Regards, The MATE team

Excellent again

Great customer service once again in assisting me in connecting my router to the NBN modem. Hate to think how I would have got on dealing with customer service techs overseas (had plenty of that in the past, shudder).

Some recent negative reviews maybe confuse NBN issues with MATE as an ISP. NBN have to "fix" NBN issues, not the ISP.

Start DateMay 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi ChrisH, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review, we appreciate it Glad to hear our support team were helpful for configuring your modem as well! Regards, The MATE team

Garbage customer service - Rude and disrespectful

Moved into a new estate 12 months ago. Was recommended by a friend to go with Mate
1-2 stars rating only.

First three months were a constant fight with their incompetent staff over a new NBN connection. Lie after lie after lie which i then verified with NBN.

When i finally did get my NBN connected I have had four separate occasions where there have been 2-3 day outages with no credit applied to my bill no formal customer apologies from the company at all for the inconvenience.

Just recently I have had issues with them helping themselves to my account WITHOUT even sending a valid invoice as to how much i owe. Have even had to go so far as to inform them of intended T.I.O action if this process keeps up.

Amazingly after i did this they started sending invoices within 5 minutes Whilst the coverage when it works has been adequate and its a pleasant change to speak to a call center actually within the country i would strongly suggest that future potential customers look at other options first before these guys.

Start DateJuly 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi Mike, We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your dealings with MATE. We are very sorry to hear that you experienced lengthy issues when connecting your nbn service. Unfortunately, new nbn installations and connections are managed by nbn directly and not something we, or any other re-seller, have control over. In saying this, we do understand that issues with connection are incredibly frustrating and reflect poorly on our own service, and we constantly raise these issues with nbn. With respect to the billing issue, we can assure you that we take all technical and billing issues very seriously and have performed an investigation into this situation. Our billing team will contact you to explain this in more depth. In the meantime, we’re glad you found our Aussie customer service a positive experience and hope that we are able to exceed your expectations going forward. Regards, The MATE team

Awesome experience from the very beginning

It took 2 hours to provision NBN service to my house. SMS notifications, email with detailed information how to configure existing modem. I left TPG and move to this guys. It is just two days, but I am more than happy. Will see how it goes. At this moment, I am happy to be with these guys.

Start DateApril 2019
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Stanislav, Glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience! Thanks for your feedback! Regards, The MATE team

Have not had to call customer service for anything in the two years we have been at this address. Super reliable!

No dropouts recorded but speeds dropped a little due to evening traffic but still able to stream 1080p. Upgrading my service to 100 as there isn't a contract to hold me back

Start DateFebruary 2017
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Gooob, Many thanks for your positive feedback! Glad to hear we have provided you a service you are happy with! Regards, The MATE team

Does Not work, if it does it's slow

Started using NBN a week ago. Since yesterday it keeps dropping off. Absolutely useless, one more provider who rips you off. Is there any provider that provides what I pay for?!

Connection TypeI don't know
Hi Adam, Sorry to hear this. If you have experienced the same issue with multiple providers then this is obviously a network issue which we will need nbn to rectify. We can see that you have an open fault in progress and we are working with nbn to have the issue rectified. Once the fault is resolved, the billing team will investigate your account and the fault and provide any applicable compensation for downtime. Regards, The MATE teamno, I haven`t experienced the same issue with any other provider as this is my first NBN connection. What I experience is that you providers always pass the buck, it is always someone else`s fault. I don`t want too much: I want to pay for the service and not worry about it. I don`t want to waste my time sending emails after emails, calls after calls, I don`t even want to know about the service, I just want it to work.Hi Adam, You have obviously had a bad experience with a previous provider and you are prejudging us based on this. That's fine, and we certainly understand that Internet issues can be frustrating. However, we also want your service to work, and we will do everything we can do ensure this is the case. We aren't like other providers - we will fight until any issues are resolved as this is what we do. We have already logged a fault with nbn and sent a technician out to your property. If you are still experiencing issues, then we do need to send the carrier the relevant data so they can fix the issue. We are not interested in blaming anyone, but you need to understand that we do not run the network and if there are issues we need to go through the relevant parties in order to get these resolved. Regards, The MATE team

Like an ecstasy Trip - Builds up to not quite a peak and then comes down to nothing...

Thought mate and barefoot ISP (same company with same complaints) were showing promise of being a reasonably astute Australian owned business.... Yeah -no!! Joined 01/2019 on 50/20 fixed wireless @$89.00 p/month with promising peak download speeds. Then some months later peak speeds dropped as with the monthly payment to $75 p/m (which is a reflection on pricing) to where we are now: current speed test (27.03.2019) PING 736 DOWNLOAD 0.38mbps UPLOAD 0.46mbps... @10.16pm ref. https://www.speedtest.net/result/8143340495%E2%80%

After providing speed-tests and details to Mate ISP for analysis of which they handball to nbn this is their reply;

Hi Matt,

See the response below;
"The cell which this user is connected to experiences high utilisation during busy periods. This means that the speed of this service is likely to be reduced, particularly in the evening when more people are using the internet.
nbn constantly monitors the fixed wireless network for sites which require capacity expansion and we aim to upgrade site capacity before congestion occurs, however sometimes demand exceeds expectations, resulting in a site becoming congested.
This site is scheduled for capacity expansion by Quarter 4, 2019 which should result in improved performance for users on this cell. While we endeavor to upgrade sites on their scheduled date, it is subject to change."

Please contact our support team if you wish to discuss this further.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A release of findings into ISP advertising "standard evening speed" by the ACCC concluded the ISP must state sustained average "peak demand time, 7pm - 11pm" speeds. On Mate web site that is portrayed as 30 - 50mbps on the nbn 50 of which I'm on. But as you can read, Mate ISP's response is clear that 0.38mbps is acceptable, unwilling to escalate, please don't respond to email and just call support to start from the beginning again! To further Mate ISP are aware of surmised congestion at cell but continue to offer their Fixed-wireless connection plans. Reading other review sites; whirlpool, trustpilot etc. there is a common reply from Mate / Barefoot ISP "congestion". Simple don't offer a service you can't provide... A very lame response and a money grabbing exercise.. Time to call the ombudsman and notify ACCC... PS. Mysteriously if I change ISP of which I've done on two occasions (new port at cell) the peak speeds are very acceptable as was with Mate ISP to begin with!! You've changed Mate.. :(

Start DateJanuary 2019
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Matt, Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your experience. We can confirm that nbn have advised that the Fixed Wireless network tower that your service is connected to is currently congested. Unfortunately, this is an issue you will experience regardless of which ISP you choose as the issue is on the nbn network. We do not get advised of cell tower congestion until a fault is logged, and we are not aware of this issue until a service is connected and a ticket is raised to the carrier. The download speeds accessible on your plan will range from 1Mbps up to 50Mbps and will vary due to a variety of factors. Services delivered over the nbn Fixed Wireless network do not have a minimum requirement for speed due to the limitations of this technology. If you are unsatisfied with the service you are receiving, you are free to cancel the service before the start of your next bill cycle as we are a month-to-month service with no lock-in contracts. Regards, The MATE team

If you're looking for an ISP, look no further. Best ISP I've ever had!

(In regards to their NBN service)

When it comes to service providers there are two main things I look for: Quality of the service and customer support/service. From the start, everything has been great with MATE Communicate. They deliver an amazing service and if/when things go sideways, there’s always a friendly person to assist me. I’ve just requested a speed upgrade, not because I need, but because their price is really inviting. Their prices are very competitive and, if you compare, you probably won’t find anything with a similar quality for a similar price.

Over the past year, my internet has been consistently good. Never dropped out, and if it slowed down, it was unnoticeable. Never had an issue. Keep in mind I’m a hard user. I’ve got many peripherals around the place, phones, computers, smart tvs, apple tv, sonos, etc.

Anyway, as I make sure to complain when things aren’t right, I also make sure to complement when the praise is genuinely deserved. In conclusion, I do recommend these guys to you, picky customer, who appreciates a friendly customer service and great service at a great price.

So far, the best ISP I’ve ever had. Keep in mind that I had many, and all of the previous ones gave a headache. But not MATE.

Start DateJanuary 2018
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi K.L., Thanks for your great feedback! Much appreciated. Regards, The MATE team

Terribly slow evening speeds, phone customer service needs attention.

Signed up with mate 17/08/2018, cancelled 28/03/2019. Coming from Amnet ADSL2 initially the speeds seemed fantastic achieving 30+Mbps downloads, that is until between the hours of 18:00-21:00 where I would average less than 1Mbps.

Being as busy as I have been working FIFO finally made a call the have it resolved, and instead of waiting on hold your call is directed to an answering machine and then they get back to you (at some point). This is extremely inconvenient if you have a window of time and can't take the return call... anyhow after 3 calls back and forward I finally spoke to someone to be told the issue was likely my end and multiple screen shots would have to be taken of speed test's then sent to Mate before they would even look into my issue.

Again being time poor it was much quicker to switch to Aussie Broadband and enjoy 30+Mbps and 20 times quicker ping (evening speeds) that same day, very happy. It would appear Mate are overselling their bandwidth.

Mate, as I was trying to explain over the phone my end appeared to be ok as I was still able to reach high speeds, just not in the evening. I also never had issues with evening speeds with my previous ISP which would at least prove my modem and line from my house to the node. Surely there is some other tests you can run before you assume the customer is at fault, it is honestly easier to switch ISP's.

Start DateSeptember 2018
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Justin, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise what your account number was so we can look into this issue? Regards, The MATE teamHi Vanessa, Account No: 624437 Thanks, JustinThanks for confirming Justin. Our internal management team will review your account and we will pass your feedback on.

Very fast set up was no hassle and they set it up very quickly from time of first response
Excellent service
Has been very reliable during our time
Wouldn’t go with anyone else

Start DateOctober 2015
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Justin S, Thanks for your kind words and review! We appreciate your feedback and glad to hear the service has been reliable. Regards, The MATE team

Best customer service ever!

Literally the best customer service, they call back so quickly and are so patient and helpful.
I couldn't figure out how to configure my modem and they talked me through it on the phone.
I've been with Mate for 12 months, I've had a few issues due to the NBN side of things - but MATE are always so quick to help out and communicate next steps etc.

So so happy!

Start DateFebruary 2018
Contract Type24-month contract
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Kath, Very glad to hear our support team were so helpful! Thanks for your review! Regards, The MATE team

The best customer service you can get

Mate helped me out when no other ISP would. Their customer service is second to none, always friendly, and happy to help you out. Stable connection, no drop-outs, minimal congestion.

Start DateJune 2018
Connection TypeWireless
Hi tonester, Thanks for your kind words! We appreciate the feedback and glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience! Regards, The MATE team

A quality of service rarely seen these days

I've had a few issues with my new NBN connection - but when I've needed them (setting up, drop outs, a total service disconnection) Mate helped me right out, right away.

Start DateJanuary 2019
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi GLK, Thanks for your positive feedback. Glad to hear you are happy with us. Regards, The MATE team.

Excellent service, cannot rate it any higher than 5 star, but would if I could.

Problem with slow NBN on startup, but was resolved by MATE almost straight away. NBN was organized by MATE and a tech called bye and fixed their wiring. No dropouts in 4 months and whenever we have contacted them to clarify something, they are always very helpful, efficient and courteous.

Start DateDecember 2018
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Tony, Wow, thanks for your fantastic feedback! Glad to hear we have provided a great service. Regards, The MATE team

The best MATE of all.

Connection has been very reliable for the most part-however if it rains I invariably get dropouts. Weird but it's true. The system runs like a charm-most times.Speeds for my 50Mbps plan average out at 44 Mbps.

MATE support staff are excellent Aussie guys who bend over backwards to help you. And what's best I understand every word they say. KUDOS to the MATE team I say.

Start DateDecember 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi Ray, We are blown away with your review! Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear you are happy! Regards, The MATE teamThe MATE team deserve my top recognition. Best by far!Thanks again Ray!

so far, after 4 months , very good

I have made contact with them twice, one a call back. On both occasions it was nice to have an easy and clear conversation, which seems a rarity nowadays. Good basic customer service done well, keep it up please.

Start DateOctober 2018
Connection TypeHFC (Cable)
Hi Doug, Thanks for your great review! Regards, The MATE team

Excellent for the price

Connection has been rock solid and speeds are excellent.
Far better than other providers around the same price.
Haven't had to use customer service much but my one dealing with them was quick and efficient.

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Tony, Very glad to hear this! Many thanks for your feedback! Regards, The MATE team