Mate NBN 50 (Best Mates)

Mate NBN 50 (Best Mates)

Have not had to call customer service for anything in the two years we have been at this address. Super reliable!

No dropouts recorded but speeds dropped a little due to evening traffic but still able to stream 1080p. Upgrading my service to 100 as there isn't a contract to hold me back

Start DateFebruary 2017
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Gooob, Many thanks for your positive feedback! Glad to hear we have provided you a service you are happy with! Regards, The MATE team

Does Not work, if it does it's slow

Started using NBN a week ago. Since yesterday it keeps dropping off. Absolutely useless, one more provider who rips you off. Is there any provider that provides what I pay for?!

Connection TypeI don't know
Hi Adam, Sorry to hear this. If you have experienced the same issue with multiple providers then this is obviously a network issue which we will need nbn to rectify. We can see that you have an open fault in progress and we are working with nbn to have the issue rectified. Once the fault is resolved, the billing team will investigate your account and the fault and provide any applicable compensation for downtime. Regards, The MATE teamno, I haven`t experienced the same issue with any other provider as this is my first NBN connection. What I experience is that you providers always pass the buck, it is always someone else`s fault. I don`t want too much: I want to pay for the service and not worry about it. I don`t want to waste my time sending emails after emails, calls after calls, I don`t even want to know about the service, I just want it to work.Hi Adam, You have obviously had a bad experience with a previous provider and you are prejudging us based on this. That's fine, and we certainly understand that Internet issues can be frustrating. However, we also want your service to work, and we will do everything we can do ensure this is the case. We aren't like other providers - we will fight until any issues are resolved as this is what we do. We have already logged a fault with nbn and sent a technician out to your property. If you are still experiencing issues, then we do need to send the carrier the relevant data so they can fix the issue. We are not interested in blaming anyone, but you need to understand that we do not run the network and if there are issues we need to go through the relevant parties in order to get these resolved. Regards, The MATE team

Like an ecstasy Trip - Builds up to not quite a peak and then comes down to nothing...

Thought mate and barefoot ISP (same company with same complaints) were showing promise of being a reasonably astute Australian owned business.... Yeah -no!! Joined 01/2019 on 50/20 fixed wireless @$89.00 p/month with promising peak download speeds. Then some months later peak speeds dropped as with the monthly payment to $75 p/m (which is a reflection on pricing) to where we are now: current speed test (27.03.2019) PING 736 DOWNLOAD 0.38mbps UPLOAD 0.46mbps... @10.16pm ref. https://www.speedtest.net/result/8143340495%E2%80%

After providing speed-tests and details to Mate ISP for analysis of which they handball to nbn this is their reply;

Hi Matt,

See the response below;
"The cell which this user is connected to experiences high utilisation during busy periods. This means that the speed of this service is likely to be reduced, particularly in the evening when more people are using the internet.
nbn constantly monitors the fixed wireless network for sites which require capacity expansion and we aim to upgrade site capacity before congestion occurs, however sometimes demand exceeds expectations, resulting in a site becoming congested.
This site is scheduled for capacity expansion by Quarter 4, 2019 which should result in improved performance for users on this cell. While we endeavor to upgrade sites on their scheduled date, it is subject to change."

Please contact our support team if you wish to discuss this further.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A release of findings into ISP advertising "standard evening speed" by the ACCC concluded the ISP must state sustained average "peak demand time, 7pm - 11pm" speeds. On Mate web site that is portrayed as 30 - 50mbps on the nbn 50 of which I'm on. But as you can read, Mate ISP's response is clear that 0.38mbps is acceptable, unwilling to escalate, please don't respond to email and just call support to start from the beginning again! To further Mate ISP are aware of surmised congestion at cell but continue to offer their Fixed-wireless connection plans. Reading other review sites; whirlpool, trustpilot etc. there is a common reply from Mate / Barefoot ISP "congestion". Simple don't offer a service you can't provide... A very lame response and a money grabbing exercise.. Time to call the ombudsman and notify ACCC... PS. Mysteriously if I change ISP of which I've done on two occasions (new port at cell) the peak speeds are very acceptable as was with Mate ISP to begin with!! You've changed Mate.. :(

Connection TypeWireless
Hi Matt, Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your experience. We can confirm that nbn have advised that the Fixed Wireless network tower that your service is connected to is currently congested. Unfortunately, this is an issue you will experience regardless of which ISP you choose as the issue is on the nbn network. We do not get advised of cell tower congestion until a fault is logged, and we are not aware of this issue until a service is connected and a ticket is raised to the carrier. The download speeds accessible on your plan will range from 1Mbps up to 50Mbps and will vary due to a variety of factors. Services delivered over the nbn Fixed Wireless network do not have a minimum requirement for speed due to the limitations of this technology. If you are unsatisfied with the service you are receiving, you are free to cancel the service before the start of your next bill cycle as we are a month-to-month service with no lock-in contracts. Regards, The MATE team

If you're looking for an ISP, look no further. Best ISP I've ever had!

(In regards to their NBN service)

When it comes to service providers there are two main things I look for: Quality of the service and customer support/service. From the start, everything has been great with MATE Communicate. They deliver an amazing service and if/when things go sideways, there’s always a friendly person to assist me. I’ve just requested a speed upgrade, not because I need, but because their price is really inviting. Their prices are very competitive and, if you compare, you probably won’t find anything with a similar quality for a similar price.

Over the past year, my internet has been consistently good. Never dropped out, and if it slowed down, it was unnoticeable. Never had an issue. Keep in mind I’m a hard user. I’ve got many peripherals around the place, phones, computers, smart tvs, apple tv, sonos, etc.

Anyway, as I make sure to complain when things aren’t right, I also make sure to complement when the praise is genuinely deserved. In conclusion, I do recommend these guys to you, picky customer, who appreciates a friendly customer service and great service at a great price.

So far, the best ISP I’ve ever had. Keep in mind that I had many, and all of the previous ones gave a headache. But not MATE.

Start DateJanuary 2018
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi K.L., Thanks for your great feedback! Much appreciated. Regards, The MATE team

Terribly slow evening speeds, phone customer service needs attention.

Signed up with mate 17/08/2018, cancelled 28/03/2019. Coming from Amnet ADSL2 initially the speeds seemed fantastic achieving 30+Mbps downloads, that is until between the hours of 18:00-21:00 where I would average less than 1Mbps.

Being as busy as I have been working FIFO finally made a call the have it resolved, and instead of waiting on hold your call is directed to an answering machine and then they get back to you (at some point). This is extremely inconvenient if you have a window of time and can't take the return call... anyhow after 3 calls back and forward I finally spoke to someone to be told the issue was likely my end and multiple screen shots would have to be taken of speed test's then sent to Mate before they would even look into my issue.

Again being time poor it was much quicker to switch to Aussie Broadband and enjoy 30+Mbps and 20 times quicker ping (evening speeds) that same day, very happy. It would appear Mate are overselling their bandwidth.

Mate, as I was trying to explain over the phone my end appeared to be ok as I was still able to reach high speeds, just not in the evening. I also never had issues with evening speeds with my previous ISP which would at least prove my modem and line from my house to the node. Surely there is some other tests you can run before you assume the customer is at fault, it is honestly easier to switch ISP's.

Start DateSeptember 2018
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Justin, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise what your account number was so we can look into this issue? Regards, The MATE teamHi Vanessa, Account No: 624437 Thanks, JustinThanks for confirming Justin. Our internal management team will review your account and we will pass your feedback on.

Very fast set up was no hassle and they set it up very quickly from time of first response
Excellent service
Has been very reliable during our time
Wouldn’t go with anyone else

Start DateOctober 2015
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Justin S, Thanks for your kind words and review! We appreciate your feedback and glad to hear the service has been reliable. Regards, The MATE team

Best customer service ever!

Literally the best customer service, they call back so quickly and are so patient and helpful.
I couldn't figure out how to configure my modem and they talked me through it on the phone.
I've been with Mate for 12 months, I've had a few issues due to the NBN side of things - but MATE are always so quick to help out and communicate next steps etc.

So so happy!

Start DateFebruary 2018
Contract Type24-month contract
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Kath, Very glad to hear our support team were so helpful! Thanks for your review! Regards, The MATE team

The best customer service you can get

Mate helped me out when no other ISP would. Their customer service is second to none, always friendly, and happy to help you out. Stable connection, no drop-outs, minimal congestion.

Start DateJune 2018
Connection TypeWireless
Hi tonester, Thanks for your kind words! We appreciate the feedback and glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience! Regards, The MATE team

A quality of service rarely seen these days

I've had a few issues with my new NBN connection - but when I've needed them (setting up, drop outs, a total service disconnection) Mate helped me right out, right away.

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi GLK, Thanks for your positive feedback. Glad to hear you are happy with us. Regards, The MATE team.

Excellent service, cannot rate it any higher than 5 star, but would if I could.

Problem with slow NBN on startup, but was resolved by MATE almost straight away. NBN was organized by MATE and a tech called bye and fixed their wiring. No dropouts in 4 months and whenever we have contacted them to clarify something, they are always very helpful, efficient and courteous.

Start DateDecember 2018
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Tony, Wow, thanks for your fantastic feedback! Glad to hear we have provided a great service. Regards, The MATE team

The best MATE of all.

Connection has been very reliable for the most part-however if it rains I invariably get dropouts. Weird but it's true. The system runs like a charm-most times.Speeds for my 50Mbps plan average out at 44 Mbps.

MATE support staff are excellent Aussie guys who bend over backwards to help you. And what's best I understand every word they say. KUDOS to the MATE team I say.

Start DateDecember 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi Ray, We are blown away with your review! Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear you are happy! Regards, The MATE teamThe MATE team deserve my top recognition. Best by far!Thanks again Ray!

so far, after 4 months , very good

I have made contact with them twice, one a call back. On both occasions it was nice to have an easy and clear conversation, which seems a rarity nowadays. Good basic customer service done well, keep it up please.

Hi Doug, Thanks for your great review! Regards, The MATE team

Excellent for the price

Connection has been rock solid and speeds are excellent.
Far better than other providers around the same price.
Haven't had to use customer service much but my one dealing with them was quick and efficient.

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Tony, Very glad to hear this! Many thanks for your feedback! Regards, The MATE team

So far no problems!

Connection seems to be reliable, so far no issues. Found the customer service great when we called them initially. On the 50mbs plan but not sure that we are getting those speeds - probably due to our distance from the node so may drop down to the NBN 25 option.

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Aileen, Thanks for your review! We appreciate the feedback! Regards, The MATE team

Pretty good mate!

No dropouts so far and night time speeds around 35 Mbps. The highest speed I've recorded during the day is 48 Mbps I've never reached 50 Mbps. Porting of the phone took a month so I had to pay another month to Optus. I was not told by Mate that this would happen until after the NBN was connected and I made an inquiry. The consultant apologised and promised to address the matter as a complaint. I didn't hear back.

Connection TypeHFC (Cable)
Hi Des, Thanks for your review, we appreciate it! We are sorry to hear we didn't get back regarding your complaint - can you confirm your MATE code/account number so we can follow this up? Regards, The MATE team

Love Mate

Since connecting to NBN and signing up with Mate we have excellent speed and have had no dropouts. The service we received from Mate from the initial contact to connection was excellent. We were kept up to date with the progress of the connection to NBN via email and everything went to schedule. The staff in the support department were amazing and very patient during the set up. We bundled our mobile plans with Mate and have better plans than we were offered with our previous provider for the same cost. We can't sing the praises of Mate enough.

Connection TypeWireless
Hi Richard, Thanks for your review, we appreciate it! Glad to hear you are happy! Regards, The MATE team

Fantastic service

We have been with Mate Communicate for well over 2 years. Last week could not connect to the internet. Mate checked the line which turned out to be fine. I called “NETGEAR” thinking it must have been an issue with the modem/router. I spent 3 hours....yes.....3 hours on the phone to NETGEAR. After turning off an on, resetting and going through set up over and over again with someone from support who had a limited concept of the English language, I was told I’d have to purchase a new modem! Called Mate Communicate and spoke to Ralph from support to check the set up, 5 minutes later internet was working! Turns out NETGEAR had automatically performed an update and missed one of the settings! Support was fantastic Thanks Mate, saved me $500, Cheers

Start DateDecember 2016
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Karen, Wow, thanks for your great review! Glad to hear we provided you with great service and we will pass your kind words onto Ralph! Regards, The MATE team

So far so good

Just had NBN connected this week. Overall I am very happy with the connection. I did have some trouble connecting but eventually worked it out before I got a call back from the support department. On the whole the service seems to be working as promised (much better than ADSL2 so cant really compare). Support was there during the set up with online chat and eventually a phone call. I am pleased to have give Mate Communicate a try

Start DateFebruary 2019
Connection TypeHFC (Cable)
Hi Titan64 Very glad to hear this! Many thanks for your kind words and review. Regards, MATE team

Couldn’t even get connected. Mate didn’t care either.

Signed up in the first week of January, the appointment was scheduled for 3 weeks after sign up date, which is a lot longer than a standard connection.
Connection day came, the technician was a no show. Asked mate why and they were generally confused. I was given 3 different answers as to why (No one was home, the technician was too busy with other appointments, Some one told him that he came too late and he didn’t have time to complete the appointment), baffles me as someone was home and did not get a glimpse of the technician nor was in a hurry to leave .
We got scheduled for another appointment another 3 weeks later, Told mate we were unhappy with this situation and their response was to cancel if you’re unhappy.
We gave the benefit of the doubt and continued on to the next appointment. We asked mate if we needed anything other than the technician just so we are ready for connection, to which they confirmed we just need to wait for connection day.
Connection day comes and the technician says we don’t have permission to continue his appointment. Called mate and they said confirmed we needed permission and can schedule another appointment for the technician to come. To which I expressed I could have gotten this permission 2 months ago if I’d knew and how unhappy I am with this experience and how this has happened without any fault to myself. Their response was that none of the series of events were their fault.

Their care factor was 0. I cancelled before even experiencing any sort of internet.

Connection TypeHFC (Cable)
Hi Jade, We are sorry to hear you were unsatisfied with your attempts to have nbn connected and we are as dissapointed as you that we could not have your service connected by nbn in a timely manner. Unfortunately, we have little to no control over nbn technicians and the nbn connection process and we experience these issues on a daily basis, so we completely understand your frustration in this instance. We also agree that your nbn delays were completely unacceptable. Unfortunately, there is no other way to get nbn connected as any ISP needs to rely on nbn's private contractors to connect the service and this is soley controlled by nbn. We have no control at all over this process. In regards to permission required for the installation, this is usually at the discretion of the nbn technician - nbn did not notify us that this was required so we were not able to inform you of this as nbn did not inform us. We were not informed that this was required. We wish you all the best with your new provider in trying to get nbn connected at your property, and we can assure you that we do sincerely care about every single one of our customers and the experience they have. Unfortunately, there are a lot of issues that are completely out of our control. Regards, The MATE team

Mates for life. Telstra who...

Have only been on NBN for a few days have been on ADSL with Mates for about 4 months and their service has been second to none. Setting up the service was so easy. I at first had big problems trying to get NBN at my premises but Mate helped me every step of the way dealing with NBN and kept me up to date best they could. Everyone at their call centre are Australian and are fantastic to deal with.

Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Ryan L, Thanks for your fantastic review, we appreciate it! Glad to hear you are happy! Regards, The MATE team