MATE

Another thieving telecom!

Paid for my NBN speed to be increased, which I MUST pay 100% in full the day it is applied. So the upgrade didn't go through until a week later, whatever. So as I must pay 100% in full before application, I asked for a refund, not credit as I am not extended credit by mate. Round 1, and they say they will "apply to the next bill". No thanks, you can refund money, just like I pay in advance... And now they have decided to completely cancel my upgrade. No idea why, but its starting to sound a lot like TPG/Dodo. Maybe this review will get their attention??

Start DateOctober 2017
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Missy Moo, Thanks for your feedback, and sorry to hear you feel this way. We can confirm that we have refunded the $10.00 that was originally applied as credit on your account and this was advised to you yesterday. In regards to your nbn 100 plan upgrade, the reason this did not go through was because you are not able to achieve the speeds of the nbn 100 plan. The maximum speeds you can obtain on an nbn Fibre to the Node (FTTN) service are dependant on the maximum sync rate of your copper line as this is a physical limitation of this type of service. As you are not able to achieve the speeds of the nbn 100 plan, we have downgraded your plan to the appropriate speed tier and have provided a refund ($10.00) of the difference. Regards, The MATE team

Garbage customer service - Rude and disrespectful

Moved into a new estate 12 months ago. Was recommended by a friend to go with Mate
1-2 stars rating only.

First three months were a constant fight with their incompetent staff over a new NBN connection. Lie after lie after lie which i then verified with NBN.

When i finally did get my NBN connected I have had four separate occasions where there have been 2-3 day outages with no credit applied to my bill no formal customer apologies from the company at all for the inconvenience.

Just recently I have had issues with them helping themselves to my account WITHOUT even sending a valid invoice as to how much i owe. Have even had to go so far as to inform them of intended T.I.O action if this process keeps up.

Amazingly after i did this they started sending invoices within 5 minutes Whilst the coverage when it works has been adequate and its a pleasant change to speak to a call center actually within the country i would strongly suggest that future potential customers look at other options first before these guys.

Start DateJuly 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTB (Fibre to the Building)
Hi Mike, We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your dealings with MATE. We are very sorry to hear that you experienced lengthy issues when connecting your nbn service. Unfortunately, new nbn installations and connections are managed by nbn directly and not something we, or any other re-seller, have control over. In saying this, we do understand that issues with connection are incredibly frustrating and reflect poorly on our own service, and we constantly raise these issues with nbn. With respect to the billing issue, we can assure you that we take all technical and billing issues very seriously and have performed an investigation into this situation. Our billing team will contact you to explain this in more depth. In the meantime, we’re glad you found our Aussie customer service a positive experience and hope that we are able to exceed your expectations going forward. Regards, The MATE team

Not existent technical support - TERRIBLE!

Since NBN was installed my internet has stopped working. The NBN network and router works perfectly and the technician has been very helpful, on the other hand my router connected to Mate stopped working from installation time. It’s now been 3 weeks and still no connection. Mate technical support has been non existent, they refuse to send a technician over and the only solution I was provided with was to buy another modem even if we don’t know if that’s the actual problem. They have been playing blaming games so to not actually provide technical service (who knows if they have any at this stage) Theyr customer survive has also been shocking throughout this experience, they have been extremely rude, hard to reach and also despite the fact that they have left me for 3 weeks without internet - and who knows how much longer - they expect me to pay for the service. If you are considering going on Mate because they don’t require an installation fee DON’T DO IT, It’s not worth it!

Start DateAugust 2018
Connection TypeI don't know
Hi FlS, We are sorry to hear this, this does not sound right. Can you please advise your MATE Code/account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE teamHi Vanessa, Thanks for reaching out. Mate has already been "looking into this issue" with results and manners as described above. Mate code here: 622403Hi FIS, Thanks for providing the account details. We can confirm we have logged a fault with nbn and they advised that found no fault on the network up to the network boundary point (NBP) of your premises. A manager will contact you today to discuss further. Regards, The MATE team

Awesome experience from the very beginning

It took 2 hours to provision NBN service to my house. SMS notifications, email with detailed information how to configure existing modem. I left TPG and move to this guys. It is just two days, but I am more than happy. Will see how it goes. At this moment, I am happy to be with these guys.

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Stanislav, Glad to hear we have provided you with a good experience! Thanks for your feedback! Regards, The MATE team

No issues!

I have recently replaced my modem and found better connectivity with my current adsl+ acct,, the service to date has been good. I read a lot of poor reviews and coincidentally seem to be during the nbn chNgeover but blaming Mate! I was informed by NBN that there may be issues with changeover regarding poor service and loss of numbers if I did not switch over soon,, as I am still using adsl2+ without issues I can only assume that Mate are not the issue but the transition to our over expensive you bewt NBN,,, I will stick with reliable adsl2+ for now until I am forced to change; why fix something that is working and not broken.
I think some people want the world for the cost of peanuts. Try one of the other Telcos and see how you go; $$s for sure and even worse service without a smile but smatterings of arrogance!

Start DateMarch 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Ray, Many thanks for your kind words and your feedback! We will pass it onto the rest of the team. Regards, The MATE team

The best provider in Australia by far.

I really couldn't be happier, especially from the absolute hell of being with other providers. They are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. I also find it nice that they are Australian based, it makes for good communication and mutual understanding of the good, bad and the ugly of Australian internet. Highly recommend. You would be an idiot not to go with them :)

Start DateFebruary 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Phil, Many thanks for your kind words and feedback! We will pass it onto the whole team :-) Regards, The MATE team

Very hardworking person who helped me to start connection

His name is luca and he started my wifi modum on phone very kindly, friendly, and with patience. Just bcz i put wrong password it took 1 hour and even he went through all settings by double checking untill it start working

Very appreciable person who help people in this way. Keep it up dear

Start DateApril 2018
Contract Type12-month contract
Hi Kawalpreet, Many thanks for your kind words, we will pass your feedback onto Luca! Regards, The MATE team

Congested and unusable at night.

I came across from Internode to Mate thinking that our internet service wouldn't change at all or if it did minimally, how wrong I was.

Ping times went from 15ms to 35ms

Connection speed dropped from 18000 to around 15000 and mate wasn't even interested in looking into why the speed dropped and was told its within a reasonable connection speed nothing can be done.

Was told I'd have a static IP address which I need so I can access the system remotely, IP changes even single time the connection drops out.

And Mate support teams response when the problem is to hard "We don't have contracts here at mate you are free to move to another ISP"

I would not recommend to any of my friends to switch to mate, ever.

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Dale, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your MATE code/account number so we can look into this issue? Regards, The MATE teamI wouldn't even bother looking in to the problems, I have contacted support several times in the past and gotten nowhere. I have already started the process of doing what your support guys suggested and churn to another ISP. "No contracts here at mate" So I'll just make the move away from mate. Thanks

Read through, I certainly wouldn't recommend to anyone.

I have been a customer of Mate for a couple years now and had not one problem. I had the misfortune of recently joining the NBN on the 100mbs plan. The package is advertised as being $100/month yet for some reason they deemed it necessary to charge me $200 in the first month. In this time I have received 4 days of internet service in total and it still drops out and buffers. At 100mbs I should not experience any buffering at all so I checked my speeds a number of times. I have been receiving less then 20mbs for the most part.
In addition to being charged $200 so far and getting nothing that i am paying for (twice over) they ignore my questions as to why I have been charged and what have I been paying for and what have I signed up for. They owe me money from my previous subscription yet still send me bills for things I don't quite understand.
They informed me that it would take up to 6 weeks for the phone to be ready to transfer over but assured me that my line would not be disrupted in any way and would simply switch over at this time. My phone line since went dead and when I contacted them they then claim my phone would be disconnected for up to 6 weeks. They claimed I was "clearly told this in the phone conversation" yet I wasn't and have a recording of the conversation to substantiate my claims. They now ignore my attempts to sort this out.
They claim it will cost me about $180 if I want to continue with a phone line now.
I told them it was inconveniencing me greatly as I used my landline for a business number and they replied with "Not their problem and they don't cater to businesses". I told them how it has inconvenienced me in other ways such as my mobile data is now all used up due to no internet in the house which prevents me from receiving any emails. Again they replied with "not their problem"
They have tried lying their way out of things and just refusing to answer my question as to where my money is going and when I will get my money that they owe me along with whats happening now with my phone and when I will get the service I signed up for and have been paying for. They are also trying to convince me that the conversation I had initially with regards to switching to the NBN was nothing to do with NBN and they are unsure why I would think that the conversation was about the NBN equipment. Why do I have NBN then if it has not been talked about???
They have got to the point now where their lies and patronising attitude has become very offensive and degrading. I couldn't speak low enough of the service I am receiving while not receiving my service.

Start DateMarch 2019
Connection TypeI don't know
Hi Bryan D, Thanks for your feedback. We have re-reviewed the call you are referring to and have clearly noted that our sales agent asked you about your ‘modem/router’, this does not refer to your nbn equipment or hardware. This call was provided to you via email as a recording. An appointment was booked by MATE to install this equipment, so we’re unsure of why you may have thought we would have been asking about nbn equipment. During the call, we also mention that you will require a VoIP capable modem/router to use the phone as it is no longer on the phone line. We will be the first to admit when we have made a mistake and will quickly rectify this. However, we’re limited in the assistance we’re able to provide when information is misunderstood, and clarification is not sought. We have also tried to contact you on numerous occasions to discuss this issue with you but you have refused our calls. Regards, The MATE teamIf it's possible I will upload the recording to let the public hear that at no point was a router ever mentioned. The public will also hear that at no point was the phrase voip used. You have reiterated the lies I have already been told. Also, as for refusing calls, this is also a lie. What proof do you have to substantiate this new lie you are now telling to try and get out of admitting your disgusting service? When asked about my modem during a call about nbn I informed the sales agent it was in storage due to not having had nbn for a year. Is your defence now that your sales agent is so incompetent that he doesn't understand what a router is and why it would be in storage? The only item discussed was the black box that I had not used in a year. The whole conversation was about nbn and having it installed and your saying you don't know why I would think we're talking about nbn equipment? Are you all incompetent at your jobs and are seriously saying that after that conversation you all think that I had been paying for internet for a year but my router was in storage and i had not been using my internet service? Really? I find that very offensive and derogatory for you to use this as a defence. No one is uneducated to think that a customer had been paying for a service yet had his equipment in storage and hadn't been using it for a year. Paying for internet but storing the equipment and not using it. If any one member of the public thinks that this is a normal thing to do then by all means I will accept it to be something that people do. Personally, I find it vulgar that you would use this as a defence. You're claiming, I was paying for internet for a whole year and not using it. That for the whole year my equipment had been in storage and I was paying for something but not using it. I seriously can't see how you would think any one would ever think this was true. No-one pays for a service for over a year but does not use it. I would love to hear from someone who doesn't use internet yet pays a monthly subscription. It seriously doesn't happen. As for claiming I refuse your calls, this is another lie. I do not refuse any calls. I have tried calling you on a number of occasions only to be greeted by an automated answer machine claiming all agents are busy. I will look into uploading the recording for people to listen to me discussing with the agent about my black modem that has been in storage for a year and also how he told me that under no circumstances would my phone line be stopped. Even still you cut me off and claimed it could be up to six weeks before I would have my phone back to use. The whole call was about getting hooked up to nbn and you're saying you don't know why I would think we're talking about nbn equipment. That is a joke in its self. Your arguments are fictitious and feeble. It's poor service and that's plane to see.Hi Bryan D, As advised, we have tried to contact you on numerous occasions to discuss this issue with you. We contacted you twice on 15th April, and then again twice on 16th April. If you wish to discuss this further please advise us via email ticket #100719290 of a suitable time to contact you and we will have a manager call you. Regards, The MATE team

Customer service equal voicemail

I have been using mate connection since 8 odd months initially with ADSL and then NBN. For months I initially endured their slow ADSL connection speed and once NBN connection was available at my premises I opted for a good speed NBN connection. The speed is ok however am not getting the 25 Mbps as per the speed an paying for but getting around 14-15 Mbps. The NBN connection is now down for couple of days and their customer care is operating only till 7pm during weekdays - hence hope for your net outage at least before 7pm if you wish to talk to someone. The other issue is that the customer service very rarely answers your calls but ask you to leave voicemail as they are busy on other calls and then they call back. Hence more often than not you need to be available to answer their call if you need any support rather than they being available to support us during our time of need.

Start DateOctober 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTN (Fibre to the Node)
Hi Sane, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your MATE Code/account number so we can look into this issue ASAP? Regards, The MATE teamAccount number is 626212Hi Sane, Thanks for confirming. From our records, we can see that you called us twice, however, you did not leave a voicemail for our support team to call you back. If you call and do not get through immediately, you need to leave a clear message with your name, contact number and account number so our team can call you back ASAP. We answer over 70% of calls on the first attempt, we can't answer every single call during busy periods however we will ALWAYS call back provided you leave a message. In regards to your issue, we can see that we have logged a fault for your nbn service and you have been issued with a technician appointment to resolve the issue. Regards, The MATE team

Have not had to call customer service for anything in the two years we have been at this address. Super reliable!

No dropouts recorded but speeds dropped a little due to evening traffic but still able to stream 1080p. Upgrading my service to 100 as there isn't a contract to hold me back

Start DateFebruary 2017
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTP (Fibre to the Premises)
Hi Gooob, Many thanks for your positive feedback! Glad to hear we have provided you a service you are happy with! Regards, The MATE team

Fantastic for non speaking computer people :)

I cannot rate this company high enough, I was hesitant to try a company I had never heard of before but the reviews were all positive and thought it was worth a try as there were no connection/disconnection/plan costs. I have been extremely surprised and happy with their service at connection and disconnection, that's right! When I first signed up as I don't speak computer well I received help at every point including instillation of Modem etc.. their call centre is also based in Australia which was very helpful.
I'm currently not using my Internet much and things are a little tight, I called on a Saturday to disconnect my service and the line was busy, I didn't leave a message & thought id try later in the week. I was suprised to receive a call back saying they noticed I had called and could they help me, I informed them i wished to cancel my monthly internet, my Internet was cancelled so quickly without harassing conversations or fees. I am extremely happy with Mate and will return when needed again. You wont regret going with this Australian company.

Start DateJuly 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Erin, Wow, what can we say!? Thanks for your fantastic review, your feedback is much appreciated. Regards, The MATE team

Waste of money

I've been using Mate for 8 months. The speed was always terrible and I had connection problem since the beginning, but the customer service could fix the problem through the phone, even if I've been without internet for a couple of days every time.
10 days ago I had the usual drop off and once again I called the support, but they could't fix the problem, so my case has been sent to the carrier for an ulterior check. They said that it could take 24/48 hours and I was already without internet for 2 days. The carrier replied that there were no problems with the NBN, so I had to make ONCE AGAIN several calls to the support for a further troubleshoot. In the end they said that wasn't they're fault but they said that it could be my ethernet cable. Also during one of my phone calls, a guy from the customer service, offered to deduct the days without internet from the bill, but that was a lie because a few days later (beginning of April) I received the bill and I payed the full amount, including the days I was promised would be removed due to not having internet. Anyway, I didn't say anything because I knew that it was a lost battle and I don't have time to waste in discussion. So I bought a new cable, I called the support again and after several calls I had internet back. But this is not a happy ending story, it's a never ending story. After 10 days HERE I AM AGAIN!!!!! same problem same story and I've been without internet for 3 days now!!!! Last evening I called the support for a further troubleshoot and I also asked for a refund for the days without internet, because I'm paying for nothing!! But guess!!! This time they blamed my router and they said: NO it's not our fault NBN is working, so you can't get a refund you have to change your router or try with another laptop!! I bought the router 7 months ago when I activated with MATE, but the support guy said: well..you know...things brakes when they're old!!!! This is just crazy I'm sick of being messed around and making me believe it was on my end or my hardware. So this evening when I go home, I'll try to call the support again for the millionth time and I'll use a new router (another waste of money). If it's not going to help I'll cancel my subscription STRAIGHT AWAY this is clear. I'm not the person that complains for every single thing but this company is testing my patience and I have had enough of this messing about.

Start DateAugust 2018
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Benedetta, Very sorry to hear this. We have organised our support team to contact you ASAP so we can troubleshoot and try and resolve your issue. Regards, The MATE team

Great install and support response but everything else terrible

The signing up process and install was great! Support team very responsive as well but man, after the install was complete, I am getting 1MB download.... like seriously??? $70 for this connectivity? I went back to support and their response was to get an engineer out to see what is wrong with the telstra line. If there is something wrong it's free, however if they cannot find any fault its $170 out of my pocket with slow internet... Does not make sense for me. I ended up switching with TPG and receiving 14MB download speed AND cheaper monthly contract. I lost $140 with MATE. Not a good mate after all. Didn't even last 1 month!!!

Start DateMarch 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi IIW, Sorry to hear this. Can you please advise your MATE code/account number so we can look into this issue ASAP?Too late, I have cancelled my account as there was already too much looking into this issue with no result... lol. a record of 14 days I think...Hi IIW, We would still like to follow up internally - can you confirm what your MATE code/account number was?

Good Product and Fantastic customer service

New to mate service been great so far and customer service are great and friendly. Move from Belong to Mate ADSL. The only issue i had with them was there website needs update does not show your daily usage of data and phone calls and have couple of modems i wanted to swap but didn't allow me on setup online went into isp error and had to call mate.

Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi David, Very glad to hear this! Thanks for your great review! Regards, The MATE team

Amazing company

I am so impressed by this company. I called to connect in the evening and by the following the morning I had internet! So easy. And the service was immaculate. Seriously great company. After so many companies with bad service and problems this was a complete breeze! I highly recommend.

Connection TypeWireless
Hi JHE, Very glad to hear this! Thanks for your great feedback! Regards, The MATE team

Yes there are speed drops!

so i've been told and heard that the company has no speed drops during the peak hours and NBN works smoothly. hence, still low speed at times and it happens frequently. I've called to change speed and get a better plan and they mentioned they're not able to change speed until the pay day which for me was in 27 days! i really don't understand why this can happen!

Start DateFebruary 2019
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Connection TypeFTTC (Fibre to the Curb)
Hi tallebi, Sorry to hear this. We can confirm that any plan changes can only be actioned at the start of your billing cycle and can't be changed mid-month. The plan will change on this date as you would have been advised and we hope you won't have any further issues. Regards, The MATE team

Does Not work, if it does it's slow

Started using NBN a week ago. Since yesterday it keeps dropping off. Absolutely useless, one more provider who rips you off. Is there any provider that provides what I pay for?!

Connection TypeI don't know
Hi Adam, Sorry to hear this. If you have experienced the same issue with multiple providers then this is obviously a network issue which we will need nbn to rectify. We can see that you have an open fault in progress and we are working with nbn to have the issue rectified. Once the fault is resolved, the billing team will investigate your account and the fault and provide any applicable compensation for downtime. Regards, The MATE teamno, I haven`t experienced the same issue with any other provider as this is my first NBN connection. What I experience is that you providers always pass the buck, it is always someone else`s fault. I don`t want too much: I want to pay for the service and not worry about it. I don`t want to waste my time sending emails after emails, calls after calls, I don`t even want to know about the service, I just want it to work.Hi Adam, You have obviously had a bad experience with a previous provider and you are prejudging us based on this. That's fine, and we certainly understand that Internet issues can be frustrating. However, we also want your service to work, and we will do everything we can do ensure this is the case. We aren't like other providers - we will fight until any issues are resolved as this is what we do. We have already logged a fault with nbn and sent a technician out to your property. If you are still experiencing issues, then we do need to send the carrier the relevant data so they can fix the issue. We are not interested in blaming anyone, but you need to understand that we do not run the network and if there are issues we need to go through the relevant parties in order to get these resolved. Regards, The MATE team

Like an ecstasy Trip - Builds up to not quite a peak and then comes down to nothing...

Thought mate and barefoot ISP (same company with same complaints) were showing promise of being a reasonably astute Australian owned business.... Yeah -no!! Joined 01/2019 on 50/20 fixed wireless @$89.00 p/month with promising peak download speeds. Then some months later peak speeds dropped as with the monthly payment to $75 p/m (which is a reflection on pricing) to where we are now: current speed test (27.03.2019) PING 736 DOWNLOAD 0.38mbps UPLOAD 0.46mbps... @10.16pm ref. https://www.speedtest.net/result/8143340495%E2%80%

After providing speed-tests and details to Mate ISP for analysis of which they handball to nbn this is their reply;

Hi Matt,

See the response below;
"The cell which this user is connected to experiences high utilisation during busy periods. This means that the speed of this service is likely to be reduced, particularly in the evening when more people are using the internet.
nbn constantly monitors the fixed wireless network for sites which require capacity expansion and we aim to upgrade site capacity before congestion occurs, however sometimes demand exceeds expectations, resulting in a site becoming congested.
This site is scheduled for capacity expansion by Quarter 4, 2019 which should result in improved performance for users on this cell. While we endeavor to upgrade sites on their scheduled date, it is subject to change."

Please contact our support team if you wish to discuss this further.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A release of findings into ISP advertising "standard evening speed" by the ACCC concluded the ISP must state sustained average "peak demand time, 7pm - 11pm" speeds. On Mate web site that is portrayed as 30 - 50mbps on the nbn 50 of which I'm on. But as you can read, Mate ISP's response is clear that 0.38mbps is acceptable, unwilling to escalate, please don't respond to email and just call support to start from the beginning again! To further Mate ISP are aware of surmised congestion at cell but continue to offer their Fixed-wireless connection plans. Reading other review sites; whirlpool, trustpilot etc. there is a common reply from Mate / Barefoot ISP "congestion". Simple don't offer a service you can't provide... A very lame response and a money grabbing exercise.. Time to call the ombudsman and notify ACCC... PS. Mysteriously if I change ISP of which I've done on two occasions (new port at cell) the peak speeds are very acceptable as was with Mate ISP to begin with!! You've changed Mate.. :(

Start DateJanuary 2019
Connection TypeWireless
Hi Matt, Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your experience. We can confirm that nbn have advised that the Fixed Wireless network tower that your service is connected to is currently congested. Unfortunately, this is an issue you will experience regardless of which ISP you choose as the issue is on the nbn network. We do not get advised of cell tower congestion until a fault is logged, and we are not aware of this issue until a service is connected and a ticket is raised to the carrier. The download speeds accessible on your plan will range from 1Mbps up to 50Mbps and will vary due to a variety of factors. Services delivered over the nbn Fixed Wireless network do not have a minimum requirement for speed due to the limitations of this technology. If you are unsatisfied with the service you are receiving, you are free to cancel the service before the start of your next bill cycle as we are a month-to-month service with no lock-in contracts. Regards, The MATE team

No hassles, great support.

Most reliable ADSL connection I've had to date. Handled peak times extremely well. They give SMS notifications of any connection issues or coverage problems very quickly, sometimes before it even reached my area. Support is excellent, the people on the other end are knowledgeable and very friendly.

Pricing is very competitive, particularly given the great quality of service and support provided.

One time I had my phone line cut by work done by cable technician on another unit. MATE sorted that for me, troubleshooting to determine where the fault could be, then organising a new technician to inspect then repair. Very clear about what each step meant and no hidden surprises.

Start DateFebruary 2018
Data TypeUnlimited Data
Hi Raymond, Thanks for your kind words and review! We appreciate your feedback and glad our support team has been helpful. Regards, The MATE team