This Was Always The Right Guitar

I bought my Maton CW80/6 in 1972. I had been playing since I was 8, and had a classical nylon string Vincenzo Salamone. Nice but I wanted to have a guitar that I could play current music. I trawled the music shops of Melbourne and the eastern suburbs. I played numerous instruments but was not happy enough with any if them to purchase. I ended up back near where I lived in a music shop known as Boronia Hi Fi, operated by the McPherson Family. I played a few of what he had in stock but again none inspired me to open my wallet. Mr McPherson snr he would order in a Maton CW80 and I was to come back in 2 days. The instant I picked up this beautifully crafted instrument, it just felt right in every way. I played it and the love affair is still strong after 45 years. The tone has developed over time, but the outstanding feature to my way of thinking is the high end. just such a sweet sound, rich and dynamic. I think I paid $175 for it. it was the most expensive instrument I played but worth every cent. Thank you Maton.

Maton CW 80/6

had mine for over 15 years and it is getting better with age, the sound improves and the the top has Changed from a light colour (nearly white) to a honey colour, the action was adjusted once and there has been no quality problems with the build. I like to finger pick, my son likes to strum hard and this guitar handles both very well, the sound is very good and this guitar is probably the best value Maton going. I have another guitar hand made by Gerard Gilet, can you tell the difference, yes you can, but the gilet was 3 times the price and the difference is not substantial. the Maton is very good the gilet just that bit better
all the above
Everyone wants to play it

um...since you have played for that long, do you have other guitars that you own to compare? And does this guitar have a fair price?
I have another limited edition Maton dreadnaught which is a higher end model, also a hand made 00 body Gilet guitar and have played lots of other brands in music shops Cole Clarke's, Martin, Takamine, Taylor, etc.i think they (cw80) are very good value . I have recently played a Taylor GS mini-e koa a very very nice guitar. Always play them even the same model in the same brands will sound different.

Release dateDec 2010