Maton 225 Series

find one second hand, replace the nut and saddle and you're on a winner.

Some of these older Matons are truly great guitars.
The nut and the saddle were originally plastic and are worth replacing, once you've got bone, the guitar becomes about 20% louder, clearer and the sound quality improves dramatically.

I bought mine in 2001 and recently had new frets put on it. Yep, it was played so much in 18 years it needed new frets..

can be a great guitar if you find them.. and cheap too..

Sounds great but crappy super high action.

Sounds great but the action is way to high and needs a custom trusrod key. Frustrating.
Spend good my money only to have mod it. Silly.
I wish got a Godin or Martin.

Bad quality and customer service

Purchased a new Maton EM225C from online store in late May 2011. When the guitar arrived I was very impressed with the finish. I picked it up to play and found the fret ends to be extremely sharp causing small pieces of skin to come off my fingers. Upon close inspection it appears that all frets have not been finished off on the top and bottom edge of neck showing very rough signs of machining. Almost impossible to slide between notes on top E string. I forwarded digital photo's to Maton in Victoria and they agreed that the problem should have been picked up at the factory. Although it has been a quality control problem they advised me as per their warranty I should pay for frieght. They then agreed to pay for half of the frieght to have the guitar repaired. This is my third Maton and will be my last. Although they admit it is bad workmanship they want me to pay. Without going into detail I found the attitude of the Maton factory and lack of customer service disgraceful. They don't do what they advertise.

Bad warranty and customer service. Lack of respect for paying customer.

Totally agree. I purchased a Maton EM225C from Turramurra Music Store in December 2011. Had the strings lowered by another music store who advised that the neck had a problem. Took the guitar back to where I purchased it in early June as a warranty claim. I have had absolutely shocking feedback from both Maton and Turramurra Music store. I still don't have my guitar and it is end July. But the most concerning thing is the music shop say Maton has it and Maton can't confirm. Dont tell me Maton has 'gone to China' too!!!!!! Whenever I see made in China written on something I just put it down and walk away.

A truly fantastic guitar. Sounds absolutely wonderful. I prefer it to a Martin D5.

It is beautifully crafted. The action is just right - not too low or too high. It is easy to lay bar chords up to the 12th fret. The sound is inspiring.
The feel and sound.