Mazda 2

Mazda 2 Questions & Answers (page 3 of 5)

DE, DY, DJ, DL
Brand Manager for Mazda? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

89 questions from our users

Jeremy Wasked

Hello I got a RH engine mount install by Ultra Tune for my Mazda 2 2006
It came out worse off.
It now got low rpm while ilding and vibration though the acelator pedal while driving at any speed,it worsen the faster I go the vibration and between 80-110km it vibrates between the steering wheel and acelator.

My passengers can feel it.

I have replace engine mount,fuel filter, spark plugs,and tyres.
Anyone else had these issues? Does anyone know what Old Mac Mazda are like are they honest.
I have spent over $1000 trying to fix it already.

It like I'm feeling all the engine vibration in the pedals.
When decrease then give it a little more power,it slightly worsen.

I've got 4 new tyres balance and wheel alignment,even got them to check it.

Georgee
Georgee

Hi I have 2007 Mazda 2 Maxx since I got it second hand 4 yrs ago I'm replacing RH engine mounts continually,
Some not lasting 1 and 1/2 years, costing me 1,000 so far. Very disheartening, also done new tyres,alignment,
My motor also has vibration in it Auto any speed. This was my retirement car, so far I'm going broke supporting it.

Midget
Midgetasked
2 DY (2002-2007)

Does the Mazda 2A hatchback, NEO DY SERIES, 2006 Have a timing belt and when do I change the transmission oil?

Jeremy W

Transmission service every 100.000km or when it a light brown colour but if you don't know history get it done.
Every 2 years or 40.000km
Spark plugs every 40.000,and air filter replace,and brakes flush the fuild replace every 40.000km,Fuel Filter

jun
junasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

My car is a Mazda 2 2014 Sports Hatcback. My question is what is the timing used on this model weather timing chain or timing belt?

Mazda 2 from Year 2007-2017 uses Timing Chain

Except: 1.4 L Y4 I4 (mz-cd, diesel) or 1.6 L Y6 I4 (mz-cd) which are Timing Belt.

RBMasked
2 DE (2007-2014)

What year did Mazda 2 start using soy based coating on wires?

Cat

This was an interesting question as I was not aware of it. I have tried to contact the dealer who sold me the car who had no idea about it, and asked me to contact Mazda directly. I have sent Mazda an email on 1st Jan 2019, and is still waiting to hear back from them. I will update this once I get a reply.

RBM

Thank you! I also emailed Mazda and the reply was a "best guess" as the person did not work in the actual parts department, but to his knowledge Mazda uses only plastic not soy coatings on wires. I did ask a follow up to let me know if he got more accurate information. Funny thing was that person at Mazda had purchased a Honda that had soy and it cost him $2200 bucks in repairs from rodent damage. My mom's Honda..over $1200. To me this soy issue is as big as the takata airbag issue and it is industry wide. So far, the auto manufacturers have avoided taking responsibility inspite of numerous class action suits.

Cat

Yes, Agree. This could be the tip of the ice-berg.
In 2016, a class-action lawsuit was filed against Toyota claiming the company should cover this type of damage after a customer was forced to pay around $1,500 to fix the chewed wiring under warranty.

ANNAasked
2 DE (2007-2014)

Mazda 2 neo sport, my car has developed a shudder or wobble while waiting at stop lights. Any ideas?

Georgee D
Georgee D

I also own a Mazda 2 2007. MAXX nothing but troubles, rattles rough idle at lights too.
Paid for 3 bloody engine mounts, sensor, air filter, had to dealer so sick of it now. Seems to be on a real low ratio when starting up to 40 after that it's ok in higher gears. Auto. Had engine cleans, starting to think it is a lemon.
Very disappointed.......any suggestions?

ANNA

it is dirty fuel injectors which can be cleaned

Spark plugs? Engine mount, are you RPM low? Drivebelt,DriveShalf,CV's

Ide might need adjusting

Jo
Joasked
2 DE (2007-2014)

For those who are having fuel economy issues, im from NZ so we only have years no maxx sport or genki variants. So is there a certain year that has issues..1.5 or 1.3 cvt or auto?
After a wee car like this but it will do a 200km round trip to our closest city 1 x a week, then of course small trips around our small town.
Fuel prices are going up..want economy without having to go to a hybrid. Looking at 2nd hand mazda 2 or demio 2009-2011
So any recommendation/advise would be appreciated

1.5 L for NZ roads country roads at least

Miss Disappointed
Miss Disappointedasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

I'm a single mum of one school aged child. Was wondering if those with similar circumstances find it big enough for you and your kids. I'm not planning on anymore right now so I don't want to go ahead and buy a car that's too big for our needs. I was thinking of going for the Mazda 3 instead. Any ideas?

Glenn
Glenn

The Mazda 2 is surprisingly a pretty spacious car for its size. If it's just for you and your child, it's more than enough space. My Mazda 2 is my family's 2nd car, and I find myself driving it more often than our bigger car, simply because it's very nimble and easy to drive, especially in tight spaces and driving in the city.

Mazda 3 is definitely a better and more powerful car, and will be an even more pleasurable drive. You will need to weigh the cost factor and decide which one is better for you.

In a nutshell, Mazda is a fuss free and simple car for daily commute, very easy to drive and handle. Down size is it's not very powerful in terms of engine (1.5L), and the boot space is small. Mazda 3 is more powerful, bigger engine, more spacious and stable and cost more.

Bottom line, in my opinion, if you want a car that will last you for a long long time and the option for extended family members, and you are willing to spend more, get the Mazda 3. If not stick to Mazda 2, keeping in mind that one day you may need to upgrade should you need more space.

kaz
kazasked

I have a 2011 auto mazda 2 neo and wanting to know if they have a timing belt/ chain? cheers

Morne
Morneasked

When do you change the cambelt for a Mazda 2?

The de model Mazda 2 has a timing chain not a belt

Peter
Peterasked

At what mileage should you change your Timing Belt/Chain in a 2010 Mazda 2?

Jeremy W

When it got problems or brakes

Ghhbyio
Ghhbyioasked

Whistling/squealing sound in low gear, seems to come from steering column but is noticeable from the engine too. Any ideas?

Jeremy W

I get the same thing about 50-60km then goes away once you go faster?

Kaz
Kazasked
2 DY (2002-2007)

Have just purchased Mazda2. 2006. Roadworthy and service done. Have just noticed engine light is coming on for a while. Any ideas?

Kels
Kels

DONT PANIC! This was my first real ‘omg I’m a clueless girl responsible for a machine” panic moment! I’m now educated and found I love cars, and now am involved in working as an official for motorsport! Before you panic or head to a mechanic, or even the super cheap auto electronic system decoding/reading service, do this:

Open and close fuel cap.
Ideally, also refuel (top up).

Odds are it’s an evaporation issue causing rising air pressure in the tank - and NOT the sensor being broken or the fuel system over-oxygenating as the manual, the error, or some mechanics suggesting.

My Mazda2 2006 does this when it’s been hot, as fuel drops in the tank. It’s apparently
Highlighting an air/fuel mix sensor issue (too much oxygen in fuel system, but apparently it more often is actually a sign of a broken oxygen sensor. HOWEVER MOST OFTEN, if its been warm and your fuel level is dropping - you’ve got air in your fuel tank, and opening the lid, letting the air ‘hiss’ out, and closing it again
might be all you’ve got to do! Alternatively, refuel -top up the fuel tank to full and the light will go off once you start the car again.

I’m in Adelaide and it gets very hot, and after a few days of 35-40+ degrees, if my tank is below about 3/4 full, this happens.

If I’m around half full opening the fuel cap, and replacing it again in the evening, the light will be off when I start it in the morning. if it’s less then half full I refuel ideally to full tank and again it’s gone as soon as I start the car.

I’m assuming it’s an evaporation issue inside the fuel tank caused by the extended heat. It’s clearly causing pressure as when the cap opens the air hisses out like a balloon or something, pressure relieved when the cap opens.

It hasnt been any kind of serious issue in my Mazda but as a girl with limited knowledge at the time, and my first car I was responsible for (post divorce), it scared the crap or of me the first time it came on (I read my manual and deduced the heat/evaporation/low fuel rather than the sensor itself may be at fault).

Jeremy W

Take it back shouldn't pass RWC with engine light on.

Elise
Eliseasked

Hey! Just wondering does the 2009 Mazda 2 have a timing belt or chain. Thanks in advance

Marlene Dawson

Unsure, brst to check with a mazda dealer, i know that pre 2000 models did have timing belt ehich needs replacement

Sorry re spelling errors

Sam
Samasked

Guys,

Some people say Mazda 2 is a girls car. I am a bloke and I seem to like the sedan. As owners, do you see anything that makes Mazda2 feminine? Are there any men here using this car?

Sam P
Sam P

To be fair when I purchased my Mazda 2 I did so thinking it was a nice little basic car! I guess it fits into the feminine category cause it’s a small car! I think it’s such a popular car it doesn’t really have a stigma attached.

expatgal
expatgal

Haha! So they have 'blokes' in Australia too! I'm from UK, now living in FL USA, I enjoyed hearing from a 'bloke' regardless of hemisphere! Not too many of them around here... No chippies, either! Darn it...
Regarding the Mazda2, I bought one a couple of years ago, and I love it. My husband drives it, but I suspect he feels a bit uncomfortable, masculinity-wise! Cars of that size are still rare in the US. When I started a job recently, my manager (funny fella!) introduced me to the crew with ; "This is Linda. She has an accent, AND she drives the smallest car in the world. Hmphhh". Just had to love him.
Re the husband issue...he does concede that the Mazda2 is the most comfortable small car he's ever driven. And he's genuinely impressed by the amount of cargo space. And finally...he's a worrier...in the past he always expressed concern about me driving a small car on American roads. Not a word about the Mazda though.
I know that in the UK small cars are much more popular, wasn't sure whether the same applied to Australia.
Seems like Europe and Australia are far more concerned about issues like fuel economy, emissions etc. than Americans. And that bothers me a great deal. Trump is bringing back 'clean coal', and deregulating industries that were previously prevented from belching toxic smoke, or discharging effluent into our waterways. And - of course - climate change is a myth, largely perpetuated by the Democrats, who are out to get him. I saw him once say that it was all nonsense, and there was no way in hell he was gonna use one of those pump-thingies to spray his hair. He was gonna stick with his aerosol...
I'm afraid its going to take the US a long time to recover from this disaster, which (realistically) was never a huge issue for most Americans anyway. We are boondoggled by the 'there's always more where that came from' attitude.
I'm afraid I really haven't answered your question...just thought it might be interesting for you to get an American response.And you gave me a great opportunity to vent!
All the best!

Dorseyasked

Has anyone had an issue with suspension in their mazda 2? I own a 2015 model purchased it brand new .

Katie
Katie

I haven't had any issues with mine. Although mine is a 2010 model, but the only problem i have had is the brake pads wear out very quickly regardless of where i get them done

Dorsey

I've taken mine back 4 times and they claim they fix the issue and a few days later after driving it the noise reappears !!
Does my head in !!
Seriously considering trading it in !!

Tomc
Tomc

Mine is a 2011 model and over small bumps the suspension just makes the normal thump noise but hit a pot hole and it sounds like the wheels will fall off. Only in the front. Twice had them check it out but they say all good.
? and I mean it really rattles over pot holes

Peter
Peterasked
2 DE (2007-2014)

Roughly how many km should I get from my 2005 Mazda 3?

Hi Peter,

More info would be helpful.

I'll assume it is an 4spd auto 2.0L? If so you should be able to achieve around 9-11L city driving.

trav
travasked
2 DE (2007-2014)

Interested in a 2005 mazda 2 for my son. It has done 190,000 but is in immaculate nick and drives beautifully with no rattles or clunks with good power and clutch is responsive.
does not appear to have had the timing chain replaced would you chance it ?

phantomswife
phantomswife

I have a 2009 Mazda 2 for sale with only 48,000 klms on the clock. I'd buy that!!

Jeremy W

Timing chain only gets replaced if it about to brake or brakes. It not like a timing belt needs replacing every 120.000km

Rob
Robasked

I have an automatic Mazda 2, 2013 every few days or so it decides to idle roughly when stopped at lights etc. Sometimes happens at the start of a drive, but sometimes randomly in the middle of a drive. It sometimes fixed itself without turning the engine off. Other times it continues even after turning the engine off, but will be fine the next drive. I'm a driving instructor with a brake on the passenger side and the dealer says when I use that brake it confuses the computer, but the rough idling is not consistent with when I've had to use the passenger side brake. I also have the exact make and model with a manual transmission and dual pedals on the passenger side and haven't had the idle problem ever. Does anyone else have this idle problem?

Pedrosa

Do you run the car on premium unleaded fuel my car will idle irrationally if I don't run this fuel

Jeremy W

I have a similar problem.
Vibration 0-120km it in the acelator pedal and when come to lights etc rpm drops low.
80-120km it in the steering wheel and pedals.

Coaty G.
Coaty G.

Hi. I have the exact same problem with my 2014 DJ Mazda 2 with the SkyActiv engine.
When in D and foot on brake it idles rough to about 500rpm. If I leave it in D and put handbrake on its revs higher and smoothes out. Same if I leave the brakes on and place it in N. My mechanic had a look at it and looked for air leaks but couldn’t find anything. This seems like a problem with these cars as I have searched the internet and found a few people have complained - trying to find a solution.

Svetlana Robertsasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

Does anyone else out there have a problem with reversing a Mazda2 Maxx manual UP a steep incline? It's fine on a slight slope, but the steeper the incline, the greater the "shudder". I've had manual cars all my life and prior to this car had a Mazda2 Maxx for 8 years, never a problem. It was bought new in 2016.

Jordie
Jordie

I haven't noticed or had cause to reverse up a steep incline but. I'll try it & let you know if any problems

Svetlana Roberts

Thanks. I've tried with the handbrake and without the handbrake. Without the handbrake it shoots backwards very quickly, not useful when you try to get out of a parking spot. WITH the handbrake it gets the shudders. Mazda techs checked another manual and said it did the same thing, so decided it was a characteristic. I think it is a fault. My hysband has had the same problem when reversing the car, so it's not just me.

TombRaider123
TombRaider123

having this problem now car only done 7000 kms and has been doing it almost since new mazda say don't know what is causing problem

Svetlana Robertsasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

Has anyone out there had a problem with a Mazda 2 manual reversing UP a steep incline? DOWN doesn't seem to be a problem, but UP the car has a severe shudder. I've been driving manuals for too many years to mention, and our previous Mazda 2 did not do this. 2016 model.

Toddy
Toddy

Mine is an automatic so do not have the problem

Svetlana Roberts

Thanks. Mazda says it is a "characteristic". Seriously?

joey29
joey29

mine is auto and no problem. that should be computer issue..

Mazda 2