Mazda 2

Mazda 2 Questions & Answers (page 4 of 5)

DE, DY, DJ, DL
Brand Manager for Mazda? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

89 questions from our users

Trace
Traceasked
2 DY (2002-2007)

Does a 2006 mazda demo have a cambelt or chain and will it need any changing or matinance

MotoApplez
MotoApplez

The 1.5 Litre engine has a cam chain. Unsure on the maintenance schedule (if any).

Backfishasked

Has anyone had starting issues with mazda neo 2 genki 2016 model our one is paying up all of a sudden after a few hours of no use

Eric01

Same. It starts to shudder not really stall as in turn off

Backfish

Our one wont start for about 20 minutes then all of a sudden it works taking it mazda service centre tomorrow hopefully we get it resolved

Mazzy Mazz

I haven't had an issue like this with mine? Are you making sure you're pushing on the brake far enough? Cause sometimes if I take my foot off my brake too quickly, it doesn't turn on properly.

Virginia
Virginiaasked

Does Mazda 2 have a timing belt?

Eric01

Yes it does. Another name for it is the serpentine belt. Correct my spelling.

HirsuteGuyasked
2 DE (2007-2014)

Hi, our 2010 Manual Mazda 2 Neo suffered a total engine shutdown at highway speed last night. Tacho and Speedo both dropped to zero. Pulled over and was able to re-start without any problem. Car has just passed 30,000km and has been serviced at logbook intervals. An ideas?

Eric01

Similar to my situation. But my current mazda 2 maxx 2016 has also been stalling or losing power at low engine idle such as parking uphill or reversing from an uphill position the car engine would just stall and vibrate as if the engine is struggling. My odo is only 3,000kms. Ive driven suzuki swift new, toyota echo new, toyota yaris new, mazda 3 new, mazda cx5 new and none of them has this low engine idle stalling.

Back to your question it could be the engine computer. since cars these days have computers monitoring how you drive your car and it anticipated your driving habits. Maybe a computer restart or software update?,Or your car engine has bad engine oil or no engine oil?, your oil filter is dirty is another one, low battery?? If worse comes your engine cylinders are not pumping same time which can cause thr car to stall and shutdown.
I wish i could help you, but im in the same boat. Hope it works out.

HirsuteGuy

Hi Eric, thanks for your response. I think a bit more investigation is ahead for me.

Hazel
Hazelasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

Has anyone had a problem with the air on on 2016 mazda 2?

Mazda 2 genki s - pack. Paid $24K for a brand new car which only blows hot air.

Have to wait 8 days until the service centre can fit it in.

Not Happy and what century are we in?

Mazzy Mazz

I don't know about you're experience, but my air con, when it get's turned on for the first 10 min, its smells like wet laundry that hasn't dried properly... -.-"

Gina
Ginaasked
2 DE (2007-2014)

Saw a 2012 mazda2 for $5400. Looking at it for my son in college. What worries me is it has 98000 miles. How do you put that many miles in 3.5 years. Opinions please

Funky
Funky

98000 divided by 3.5 is 28000 miles per year. It's probably divided by 4. That's really high but with adequate servicing these cars last a fairly long time. Long commute probably and it all ads up...

Andrew V

Is it miles or kilometres? Miles are 1.6 times bigger than kilometres so 98,000 miles would be a worry. 98,000 kilometres on the other hand would not be all that bad. It averages out to 28,000 kilometres per year, which although a bit high, is still realistic. My wife and I have a car each and we do 20,000kms per year in each car. If we only had one car, we would probably do 30,000 to 35,000 per year. I think the main concern would be that it has been serviced regularly every 10,000kms and it's been kept up to scratch.

David
Davidasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

My Mazda 2 2015 Automatic seems to be having noise problems with transmission. When car changes from 2nd gear to 3rd gear I can hear a whistling sound similar to a boiling kettle. Have taken car back to dealer and they said they changed 1st gearbox and now same noise in 2nd gearbox. Can anyone help me with this problem or does anyone else have same problem?
Any help appreciated.
David Walker

Andrew V

I've noticed a little whistle changing from 2nd to 3rd in our 2016 Mazda 2. It doesn't always do it and I'm sure my wife has never even noticed it (it's actually her car). I don't really perceive it to be a problem. Would not be surprised if it's just characteristic of the model?

Mazzy Mazz

I have a small whistle when I accelerate, but I just thought that was the fan intake?
It is hardly noticeable though, only when I have my audio or radio turned off.

Kwaku O.
Kwaku O.

Front brake pads makes the rem black

Mazzy Mazzasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

I have a 2015 Maxx Mazda 2 and I've had a few issues or I might be paranoid.
With the steering wheel, when indicating, is it normal to hear a clicking as you turn the steering wheel (cancellation clicks)? I noticed that when turning right its a lot louder then turning left.
Also, with the acceleration, I've found it to be a bit laggy and often jolts when accelerating from low speeds. When on the highway it would often rev up to +4000rpms and accelerate quite slowly and I'm afraid to step on the accelerator anymore due to the 4000 rpm count.
As for fuel economy I've been getting around 578km per tank.
The steering also feels very light (maybe because I'm used to driving a mazda 3 2014) but often going around a roundabout I feel as if the car tends to slip a bit.

And the final issue is when I turn on the warm aircon a putrid smell comes out (like wet clothes that haven't dried properly) (doesn't happen on the cold aircon). Being a new car I don't expect it to be moisture levels.

KMT
KMT

The problem I had with my steering was also a clicking sound and more noise on one side when turning but not with blinker
I just got it repaired and cost $710
I would get all these issues checked out asap depending where you bought it from as it should be still under warranty and should not be happening to a new car
Good luck

casualenquirer
casualenquirerasked
2 DY (2002-2007)

Do they have a timing belt or chain and when should they be replaced?

Sue

No idea. I just drive it

kiwidownunder

The engine is driven by a timing chain. Shouldn't need to change the chain until it possibly gets noisey. Would be very high in the kilometres by then i'd say...

Dolly
Dollyasked

I test drove a 2003 Mazda2 and found the reversing alarm very noisy and high pitched. Is there anyway of turning this down as it's the only thing that is putting me off buying the car. Thanks!

Sue

Sorry, mine doesn't have an alarm, but I do know what you mean, as I recently travelled in a Holden that had one, and after two days we were trying to find a way to turn it off!

Joho
Johoasked
2 DJ (2014-2021)

Has anyone had any noise complaint from Mazda 2 sports dj genki? As it got a noise in seat belt pillar both sides passenger and driver. Have had it back to Mazda about 6 times and they still can't fix it. Sometimes can't hear it. Not happy!

Kara
Kara

Hi Joho,

I have a Mazda 2 Maxx 2015 and although they're not the same edition, mine doesn't appear to be making any noises and I've had mine for about 4 months now. As long as your car is under warranty, just keep on taking it back until they find out whats wrong with it. Hopefully it's just a small problem and and an easy fix!

displaynamehere
displaynamehere

Exactly same issue! Have had it looked at numerous times and even dropped it in for a week, with no success. Really disappointed as it isn't the only rattle I am hearing in the interior.

taylah_rae
taylah_raeasked
2 DE (2007-2014)

I'm considering a 2011 Mazda 2 Neo in manual for my first car, but am tossing up between that and the 2011 Holden Barina Spark CDX, also in manual. I was wondering if anyone has had experiences with either of these cars and could possibly shed some light on. What model would be better for me? Thanks :)

niko87

I would go with Mazda made in Japan.

Aung Myo Min
Aung Myo Minasked
2 DE (2007-2014)

What is the difference between Mazda 2 2008 and 2009?

niko87

From what I have seen they seem to be exactly the same. Both made in Japan.

Harish
Harishasked
2 DY (2002-2007)

Why does the red light flicks inside the even when you lock it?

brian
brian

It could be due to the alarm

nilyab
nilyabasked
2 DY (2002-2007)

Is this car still okay to drive with 220,000 km?

kiwidownunder

I wouldn't know for sure, but Mazda 2 and Demios are so reliable that if the car is serviced regularly, I can't see why it shouldn't be ok.....

The Y-man

As long as it has been maintained well, and has no major structural faults (i.e. dodgey crash repair or rust) it should be ok.
Not quite sure by your question, whether it relates to safety or cost?. For example, engines can be rebuilt, but relatively expensive exercise - if the current one is clapped out, you may be able to get a second hand engine from a wrecker, same as gear box etc.

The only issue with modern cars is the airbag system - theoretically, they are suppose to be checked and replaced every 10 years or something (my machine is coming up to 10 years but only 140,000km so will see what the dealer service people have to say!)

jenny key
jenny keyasked

How much should I pay for a 2004? 48 thousand kilometres reasonable condition

kiwidownunder

Well i know in New Zealand you would expect to pay around $4000 for the basic Mazda 2.Probably $6-7 thousand for the 1.5 litre Sport model.

k.shearston
k.shearstonasked
2 DY (2002-2007)

Test drove an automatic Mazda 2, 2005 with 39,000 kms on the clock, with the view to purchase. Engine seems to run smoothly and quietly apart from an initial variation in sound when first accelerating and lasts no more than a second or two. The current owner assures me that it has been checked by her mechanic and all is well. Should I be worried?

How warm is the engine?
It is normal to get a LOT of alarming rattles, pings, pops and all sorts when the engine is cold. The variable inlet manifold system (fancy way of saying it changes the length of pipe that air going to the engine is changed when cold) seems to create some tuning issues when running cold.

If the temp guage is halfway and it is doing this, check to see if a mazda software upgrade was done to the engine management system (I think there was only one revision in the lifetime of my 2006 car so far)

kiwidownunder

Personally i wouldn't worry about it. The change in sound is probably the VVT (variable valve timing) Remembering too that these engines can be a bit revvy as they are either a small 1.3 or 1..5 litre capacity.

kiwidownunder

I have noticed that when the engine is first started,there is a little tappet noise which stops after a minute or so after oil gets circulated around the engine. I know of at least 4 Demios/Mazda 2's of the same model which do this,so appears to be a normal occurrence.

nita
nitaasked

Does the Mazda 2 2013 model have a timing belt or a timing chain?

Sedaaygun

Mazda 2 from 2007-2014 all have a timing CHAIN, which is fantastic as the 100 000k service won't be to expensive, best bit about this car as far as maintenance I think :)

Chain

zak240909
zak240909asked

does the 2010 mazda 2 have a timing belt or timing chain and what maintenance is required if it is a chain and what kms does the belt need changing if it is a belt. thanks

lello
lello

The Mazda2 has a "timing belt" and should be replaced at approximately at 90 to 100,000kl.
This is the most expensive service you will incur, in what is an otherwise relatively cheap car to service, as long as you service the car at about 15 to 20,000kl.
I hope this has been useful to you.

Sedaaygun

The Mazda 2 2007-2014 model do NOT have a timing chain. They come with timing chain which is a much better alternative as y

Warren

The 1.5ltr motor from at least 2008 to the current 2014 Mazda 2 is a 'Z' motor and has a timing CHAIN. Everything else on engine will fail before it does. That is.......the life of the vehicle.

pam
pamasked

How do I find out my car type or series?

Warren

Under the bonnet (engine bay) is a silver plate stamped onto the body. It has year/ model etc.

Mazda 2