DE, DY, DJ, DL

• Comfort
Josephine73
Josephine73Western Australia

Should have stuck with Toyota

Car purchased brand new from a dealer in 2015. Has driven beautifully, quite spacious, roomy enough for the family. Good fuel economy. Great car until last week when out of nowhere, the Variable Valve Timer Actuator died. No power to drive above 60km/hr and definitely undriveable. Car has always been serviced by Mazda and just recently serviced a month ago. Mazda will not rectify this new problem, even though the component should last the life of the car. This appears to be a common problem with Mazdas and with Mazda refusing to fix the issue - look on the AAC website. So $3500 out of pocket even though it's only just under 6 years old. I should have bought another Toyota. No problems with that one in 22 years.

Purchased in December 2014 for $23,000.00.

BoughtNew
jane
janeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Automatic transmission fail.

I Bought Mazda 2 neo 2016 in April 2017 as demo car. The car done only 18000 Km and have major problem with transmission.3 weeks ago when I was reversing there was big noice under car. Took car straight to Mazda, was told transmission slipping. They reprogram on the computer transmission. After 2 weeks the same problem. now car can't be drive.Propably they must replace whole gearbox.Manufactures faulty gearbox. I lost trust in Mazda. I don't know if some Mazda 2 owners have similar problem ?

Purchased in April 2017.

displaynamehere
displaynamehereAU

If you are looking for a well built car.. don't buy a Mazda 2

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Chelsea B
Chelsea BGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Latency in response

Very comfortable on the inside and looks good. Low fuel consumption. Very good for learners and slow drivers. But I definitely would not recommend this car for those to rely on quick response of the car in various circumstances. It has a huge latency and may put lives in danger. I had to change my driving style after purchasing it. It is completely opposite to my previous car - Mazda 2 (!) fabricated in 2008.

Engine Size1.5
Date PurchasedJuly 2016
Sam P
Sam PSydney

Great small car! Petrol consumption is awful!

Love the feel of the Mazda 2, great handling and braking and a perfect small car! However the petrol consumption is that of a 30 year old V8 engine and seems to be a very common problem with the model. Within 2 years the car had to be rewired and the brakes failed due to bad fluid put in from new purchase! Wouldn't recommend the Mazda 2!

BadgeMaxx Sport

Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
Eric01
Eric01

Mazda 2 maxx sport 2016 model (auto)

BadgeMaxx
Date PurchasedSept 2016
KMT
KMTSydney Surrounds, NSW

2012 Mazda 2neo

I am very unhappy that I only drive my car a few kms a week and only have 34,0000 kms. But I have a major steering problem and its out of warranty
The seats are comfortable but I would not buy another Mazdda they are costly to repair and unreliable

Engine Size4 cylinder

very disappointed with fuel consumption

niko87
niko87Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

VERY disappointed by Mazda. Made in Thailand - Not as good as its predecessor.

BadgeMaxx

Find out how Mazda 2 compares to other Cars

uses too much petrol i agree with you.

i don,t know where they get km petrol from these days, them so called reviews,mine mazda 2 uses way to much .i had a mazda 1.8 motor and it was much better on fuel than this 1.5 and a more powerful engine. the government should look in to it.and the new mazda 2 i don,t believe their results either.l

GrantMelbourne

Old Technology and Expensive Running Costs

Engine Size1500 cc
Steve

FWIW, you don't need to get your car serviced at Mazda to keep the warranty, as long as the garage is authorised

Steve

You're probably right - I've never actually tried to make a warranty claim

Jeff
JeffSouth East Queensland, QLD

Wish we had never bought it....

Engine Size1.5l
Frank
Frank

Ye mate , I just brought a Mazda 2 2013 ,, my car I drives only 200kms, and my tank show almost empty ..... Dame ....,it ...

chris

I've been thinking of trading mine in at the next lot of sales. I think its appalling fuel consumption. I'm not at all happy either. If I had known this, I wouldn't have purchased.

BlueSmirf
BlueSmirfAU

Good for city

I bought a Mazda 2 in 2010. It was a good car for the city because it's small and dinky. However, it's good for no more than two people because the space on the back seat is limited. Don'y buy manual transmission. Automatic transmission is not very responsive too, due to the weak engine. If you hit the car with 0.000001 km/h your bumper will be smashed and you will have to pay around $1500 to replace it. If you like travelling with your car do not go for a small car. My Mazda 2 was literally flying when I drove faster than 90km/h
Being Small and Dinky
not enough space, weak engine, not good for high speeds, ugly interior design

jassin
jassin
ololololo
ololololo
RSun
RSun
Martin BuckWellington, New Zealand

Got too many problems for me

Engine Size1340cc
Transmission4 speed auto
bpmicra
bpmicraMelbourne

Bad

Steve B.
Steve B.asked
2 DY (2002-2007)

I have 2006 Mazda, have had it for years and been running smoothly but yesterday I felt like the car had a hiccup then the AT and engine lights on the dashboard came on. After a minute the AT light was gone but the engine light stayed the whole day. Can anyone please tell me what the issue is? Thank you.

fariha j.
fariha j.

I own a mazda2 (2005 genkii), a thoroughly enjoyable, reliable, feul efficient car, but.... had thecsame issue when i first bought it second hand 3 years ago. The engine checklight would turn on intermittently. My very very reliable mechanic (blunder road, durack, brisbane) lifted it up and gave it a thorough once over. He told me the problem wasn't in the engine at all but in the circuitory of the checklight itself. Once he replaced the said offending circuit.... Voila! No more problems. Cost me $270.

Pam
Pamasked

Has anyone else had problems with their Mazda2 Neo 2016 a/c as mine has stopped working they told me it was the a/c clutch and would cost $2,500 to fix it? Have had the car since new.

Kylie
Kylieasked
2 DY (2002-2007)

Hi I have a blown head gasket and have a mate fixing it for me but hes made the mistake of not marking where the timing chain needs to be and now hes upto putting it all back together but doesn't know where it needs to line up? Can anyone help plz ??

Compare all 16 Mazda 2
CategoryCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and HatchbacksCars and Hatchbacks
Starting Price $21,140$23,140$24,150$22,150
Engine4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L4 Cylinder 1.5L
Max Power81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm81kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm141Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureThailandThailandThailandThailand
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateJan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2014Jan 2014