18Mazda 6

Mazda 6 Questions & Answers (page 3)

Brand Manager for Mazda? Claim your listing.
Norman f
Norman f · 6 GH (2008-2012)

Thinking about buying 2008 Mazda 6, manual transmission, Sedan. With 95,000 klms. There asking $ 6,500. Any help would be appreciated?

David Taylor
David Taylor

I may not be of assistance as I have the turbo diesel 2013 model. Paid over triple of that price though. My Mazda has no concerns.

Norman f

Thanks for replying, brought car and so far very happy with it.

Barry
Barry · 6 GJ (2013-2016)

Mazda 6 2016 SPORTS Sedan difficult to get into on drivers side has any one else had the same problem?

sentinel88
sentinel88

I found this but the seat has two settings. When it is set for me I still have to get over the side contour which holds you in the seat firmer when driving. When the wife sets the seat for her and I get into the seat, I hit my head sometimes on the door opening. I would suggest setting your seat lower if you can and remember that the seat is designed that way to keep you from sliding around like a sports seat should. Otherwise I don't mind it because I am aware a bit more effort is needed when entering the driver's seat. Hope this helps.

Ecopix
Ecopix · 6 GG/GY (2002-2007)

I don't understand two things about the diesel particulate filter and keen to read answers.

1. Why can't you just remove the DPF? It's to comply with European pollution laws, where people live on top of each other. This is Australia, and I have to drive for half an hour just to see a small town! The tyres kick up far more particles than the engine is ever going to emit. It seems irrelevant here.

2. What happens when it 'fails'? One review says it goes into limp mode. How restrictive is that? Will it ever strand me on the side of the road? (Mine's already done 280 000km, engine fine.) A Peugeot owner I know said his shuts down the engine. Does that ever happen with the Mazda 6?

Really appreciate any info. Thanks.

dadashton
dadashton

1. The rego check will include the condition of things like the DPF. You will be fined if it is absent.

2. There are various reasons why the DPF light will flash, but yes it could go into limp mode. Continuing to drive with it on can easily lead to damage to the engine - depending on the cause.According to Mazda, the DPF needs to be replaced at about 150,000 kms.

If you live in the country then the failure might not occur if you are doing enough driving to have the engine run warm enough for long enough to burn off the ash.

Ecopix

Thanks very much dadashton, really helpful.

I'll be looking around for a well-maintained earlier diesel vehicle. I have no such worries with my old Defender!

Michelle M
Michelle M

I have petrol model and mine 2010 so i have no idea about your vehicle. So sorry

Bob
Bob

Never use cheap imported diesel fuel. Only ever use BP, Shell or Caltex. This helps to keep DPF clean. I used diesel from a highway unknown filler and the light came on within 5minutes and stayed until burnt off and better fuel put in.

ishopper
ishopper · 6 GH (2008-2012)

Hi, I am looking at buying a Mazda 6 wagon (2009 to 2011) but can't find one in my region to look at. The closest one is over 130 kms away. Just wondering if anyone who owns one can provide some measurements for the cargo area. I need to carry a single mattress and a rocking chair, so I need height and length of the cargo area with the rear seats down flat and the front seat moved to a comfortable position (or 2 length measurements with front seat moved furthest forward and furthest back). Also height and width measurements of the rear entry would be appreciated. Thank you

Shaggy

Hi ishopper, a standard single mattress is usually 1800mm long. I have a 2012 Mazda wagon and with seats down and front seats in comfortable driving position (I am 5'9 in the old foot inches scale) you have 2000mm available. Width is 1140mm and height is 750mm for the rear cargo. Both rocking chair and mattress maybe a challenge, potentially doable with rocking chair flat. Hope this helps.

ishopper

Thanks, Shaggy, I appreciate your help with measurements. Standard single mattress length now seems to be 1880, mine is 1910 for some reason. 2000 should be plenty even if the front seats have to be moved back a bit. Width is fine. Height will be a struggle, but I'm hoping the mattress will give enough to allow the rocking chair which is wooden, but quite narrow. At least now I can drive further afield to see a Mazda 6 wagon knowing there is potential.

Shaggy

No worries happy to help. I have the 2012 mazda 6 diesel touring 6 speed manual. It is a brilliant car, great driving experience with incredible fuel economy. Great family car, looking at other reviews it appears people have had some negative experiences with diesel, i have had absolutely no issues witb mine. The key is to ensure it has had regular scheduled servicing and preferably serviced at the mazda dealership. I was advised that the mazda specific oil needs to be used rather then generic diesel oil. We get on average 6.2 litres per 100km driving in Sydney traffic and have got it as low as 4.8 highway driving on holidays.

Ja
Ja · 6

Recently my car (MAZDA 6 2010) went in for a service and a driving belt replacement, but as soon as I drove out of their workshop, something was very wrong, my car was lagging and there was a tapping noise in drive and reverse. I've taken it back and they say they can't find a problem. Can you explain to me what you mean by 'bearing in the belt', thanks so much. I loved my car, and now I don't feel it's my car, it's in very poor state, the AC stopped working as well. Sometimes they handover our good cars to apprentices who need more practice but not at the expense of our excellent condition vehicles.

Suthan
Suthan

I am really sorry that I don't know the answer for the problem.

Mine is 2015 model and just done 10000 service by Mazda service center.

The service was good at fixed price which will know beforehand.

Jen
Jen · 6

We have a 2009 Mazada Wagon MZR-CD (diesel). At 104,000km there was a total engine failure and were advised that require a new/reconditioned engine estimated to cost $8,000 - $9000. The car has had up to date regular log book servicing and been driven carefully with a couple of long trips but mostly used around town. Is this a problem with this car? Also as its out of 5 year warranty do we have any claim to make with Mazda. Total engine failure at just over 100,000km for a 7 year old fully maintained car seems unreal.

Former Mazda Owner
Former Mazda Owner

I had a similar issue with my 2009 Mazda 6 Diesel Wagon. Firstly, I must state that my last couple of services were under the fixed price servicing not full logbook. My car lasted 159k km and just wouldn't start one morning. Now I've been told it needs a replacement engine. Likely caused by a stretched timing chain. Quoted $12k to replace which is just crazy. Now my car is basically worthless.

GWS · 6 GH (2008-2012)

We have a spotless silver 2009 luxury sports auto hatchback with only 4875 kms on the clock. We have always used premium fuel, and kept it garaged and covered. Had custom made seat covers to protect the leather. We bought it thinking our 1992 Mazda 121 was going to stop, but 6 years later it is still bubbling along.

We only use the 6 for the occasional longer trip (hence its low kms), it drives beautifully, and still smells like a new car when you open the door. It seems a waste leaving it in the garage. What would a fair price be to sell an exceptional car of this age with only demo kms on the clock?

David5864
David5864

Well, if you have just 4875kms on the clock, then maybe about $20,000 - $23,000 at the most, assuming it was about $40,000 or so brand new.

If that's a typo and it has 48,750kms, then it's worth around $17,000 or so.

Trouble is it's 6 years old, which is kind of considered a bit 'aged'. So even if it is under 10,000kms, and pretty much as new as you could get, because of its age, I don't think anyone would be willing to pay above $25,000 anyway.

A quick search of Car Sales has a 2008 Luxury Sports Auto Sedan, with 10,000kms going for $16,990 through a dealer. But then another dealer is selling a 2009 Luxury Sports Auto Hatch with 89,000kms for $21,800. Anyone in their right mind would not pay that for that 2nd car, not with lower KM cars, of the same type, going for a much lower price.

Sell privately, dealers will short you about $4000 just because of their need to mark-up.

I traded in my 2007 Mazda 6 Sports Sedan for a 2014 Mazda 6 Sports Wagon early last year. My old Mazda had 70,000km on the clock and was in excellent condition. The dealer gave me $8000 for it. They had it advertised for $14,000, I reckon they would have sold it for around $12,000. Privately I had seen them from between $11,000 to $14,000, depending on the KMs.

So maybe ask for $25,000, and don't sell it for less than $20,000.

GWS

Thanks David for your feedback, (It really is 4875 kms) Its like a new car. Think its only been out in the rain once, which sounds ridiculous.

Pete
Pete · 6 GG/GY (2002-2007)

Hi looking at a Mazda 6 GG/GY (vintage 2004-2007) for my 18 YO son. Is it considered a reliable car and not too costly to run or service? I know it does use premium.

Sh1984
Sh1984

My 2010 Mazda 6 (the model on from the your proposed was extremely expensive to maintain - I have over $12,000 in Mazda service bill across 4 years and 110,000 KM's. They are on par with a European car - I know that because I now have an Euro car.

Morphix

Its amazing! In 3 years owning I have replaced nothing but break pads and usual consumables, a 65$ fill gets you at least 700km, for me currently Almost 900km.

No timing belt means for major cost blow out for a 100,000 km service, this 10 year old model still has more safety and airbags than many brand new small cars wont.

Pete
Pete · 6 GG/GY (2002-2007)

Hi! I am finding it very difficult to get a straight answer as to whether Mazda 6's of GG/GY (2002-2007) have a timing belt or a chain. If belt is 5 years/100,000km the changeover period?

Morphix

I just had my 100,000 service this week, and it actually has no timing belt, so the service was $450. my 90,000 was 200 and my 80,000 was 400

KZN
KZN

Timing chain

Pete

Thanks for the tip. So the timing chain lasts forever?

Jim
Jim

Guys, with there being no timing belt needing regular replacement, what's the recommended replacement point for the water pump? In all my previous vehicles with timing belts, the recommendation by mechanics has been to replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt for access reasons. Having seen the cruddy condition of pumps that have been replaced along with the timing belts, I can say they do need attention.

bbgre1
bbgre1 · 6 GH (2008-2012)

Thinking about buying Mazda 6 luxury sports 2009 auto hatchback. Has 90k on the clock and costs $15k. Any thoughts?

Paul

About right on the price, and the km's are better than average for the age of the car. Still worth getting it checked out by the NRMA or a trusted mechanic.

Here is the valuation

Denny16

My experience with Mazda 6 is that it is an excellent car especially for the models in the years before 2010. That's when Mazda started to outsource some of their car production in Thailand, I think.

I am personally very, very happy with my Mazda 6. Car is well made, good quality, very reliable. Excellent value for money.

Regarding the Mazda you are looking at, it sounds like a good buy at $15K with 90K on the clock. What I would look at is the log book service history if they have kept one. Mazda cars need to be maintained up to the manufacturer's specifications for scheduled maintenance to make sure the car has been well looked after.

Also, be aware that some Mazda engines require premium fuel only. It is no big deal as you will get very good fuel economy. However, if the previous owner did not feed it with premium fuel then you might have "dirty" engine parts....

Also, keep in mind that spark plugs must be changed at 100K.

Overall, I would say that, subject to a check by a good mechanic or your car club, that the Mazda you are looking at, is a very good car, very well made and good performance and good fuel economy. As mentioned above, I feel the Mazdas made before 2010 are of much better quality than the post 2010 ones. Therefore, you probably have a very good deal there for you ! Hope my observations help you. Cheers, Denys

bbgre1

Great feedback. Much appreciated as I've had a Toyota Corolla for many years which has served me. Once again thankyou

FreddyG73 · 6

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a 2012 Mazda 6 6C Auto Unleaded Touring Wagon. Everything looked, felt, and sounded great on the test drive, but I'm hearing from a few people about a "common" problem of the timing belt/chain wearing out around the 90-100,000km mark, and can cost around $2,000 to repair. The car I'm looking at has almost 88,000km on the clock.

Has anybody else heard of, or experienced, this timing belt problem? Any other issues that can be shared would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I have received your request for feedback on 2012 Mazda 6 , 6C.

Regarding your concerns about the timing belt, firstly I would very strongly advise you to have that specific car checked by a very good, trusted mechanic or by your automobile club ( RACV, RAC , etc... depending in which state you are).

Now, having said that, I can tell you that Madza 6 are excellent cars and I have not heard of anyone in my town having any problems at all with the timing belt. I am personally very, very happy with my Madza.... probably the best value for money car I ever had.... the Madza I have has been extremely reliable.

I must say, however, that I religiously follow the manufacturer scheduled services specifications and therefore have a full log book history compliant with Madza . If you follow Madza's service specifications, you should not have any problems at all.

I hope this feedback helps you in your decision.

Cheers

Denys Martin

Hi Denys,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I've been a proud Mazda owner for 21 years, but regretfully, now I need to bid farewell to my 1992 Mazda 626 7 seater Estate wagon after 14+ years! Unfortunately, she's not worth trading in, so it's off to the wreckers she'll go to offer her parts as spares. :-(

After asking a few people, the car dealer himself confirmed that older 626 models had a timing belt, which were often due to need replacement around 100,000km. The Mazda 6, however, has a timing chain, which I believe is housed inside some kind of metal casing (Sorry - I'm mechanically challenged!)

I have my heart set on this 2012 Mazda 6 so much, that I don't even want to test drive any other Mazdas. Happy to say that it has an excellent service history too. Now, all that's needed is to make her mine! :-)

Thanks again, Denys.

Cheers - Freddy.

Paul

As the 6 has a timing chain, it should last for the life of the car. Good luck with the car, you won't regret it!

FreddyG73

Thanks, Paul. I ended up buying the 6, and love it! I've even had many of my friends who have seen it tell me that they wanted to buy this exact model instead of the cars they actually own! I'm yet to hear a bad word about this model - or any Mazda, for that matter - and I don't think I will anytime soon! :-)

Darrell
Darrell · 6 GG/GY (2002-2007)

Just purchased a 2nd hand mazda 6 2004, I reverse out of drive way and turn hard left hand lock and when I go to drive off the steering gets stuck, i have to roll forward and pull hard on steering wheel to free it up. It does not do it in opposite lock. Any suggestions on what this maybe

brian

Yeah go to the Mazda shop or a trustworthy honest and reliable mechanical braking and steering specialist to get the problem fixed as soon

brian

That sounds like it could be the ball joints wrecked though it's still better to take the vehicle to a trained professional service

logicalmark · 6

Has anyone had a problem with the steering rack on the 2010 mazda6 wagon?

arjays
arjays

I have a 2008 mazda6 wagon and had no trouble at all with the steering

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

I have a 2010 Mazda 6 which has become heavy on the steering in the last month. I had to go overseas and did nothing about it. Called Mazda today and found that I was out of warranty a month ago. What the problem is, I don't know as yet but fear the worst. Any progress with your problem?

Taddy
Taddy

Yes, have just been told that the steering rack on our 2009 Mazda Wagon (5 years / 95,000kms always serviced needs to be replaced at a cost of $3500. Our mechanic said that it is a common problem with Mazdas. I would be interested to know if anyone else has had a similar issue?

logicalmark

$3500 is to much the rack can be rebuilt for about $800 to $1000 I had mine dome on a 2010 mazda 6 I was lucky as mine was 3 month out of warranty and had a second mazda which was service with mazda so mazda payed for the parts and the dealer payed for the labour contact your mazda dealer and tell the that this is a known fault and see if they will help good luck

izram
izram

I have a 2010 Mazda 6 diesel wagon which has only done 42,000kms and have been told this is a problem with some Mazda 6s if you hit a pothole but the problem only becomes evident a lot later through the stiffening power steering . It would seem to me that there is a design fault and that they don't want to admit it. When I asked if I fixed it and the part was replaced whether it would happen again and they said the new parts have been improved and it won't which confirms in my mind they have admitted a design fault. Anyone else have problems?

Ral
Ral · 6 GH (2008-2012)

My wife and I bought a 2008 Mazda 6 sedan in August 2013. When we picked it up of course I had to follow my wife home in it, on arrival she asked why the air bag light on the dash was on, that's when it all started. We have had the car back to Mazda continually and have had many things fixed, all but one.

We have a loose article in the seat which is supposed to be normal, apparently it is something to do with the air bag in the seat but it is really annoying because you can feel it shift and you can also hear it. Does anyone else have this problem.

James55
James55

Hello Ral

I have not had the issue you have spoken about, sounds a bit strange to me,so many problems for a Mazda 6 is unusual, My son bought a 3 year old Honda Civic and had no end of trouble with it, mainly electrical issues and a mechanic told him it had been flood affected, so you cant tell sometimes. I know longer have the 6, I got tired of the over hard ride and sold it,I wish you well with it and hopefully Mazda will make the effort to find it- but at your cost!, cheers

harrow
harrow

Hi James. Nothing, but nothing should be moving within any seat in the vehicle. Supplementary restraint equipment in dashes, door pillars and seats are ALL solid state equipment. No components move until they are deployed of course. It may be a broken spring within the seat that you can hear or part of the seat structure has broken and come loose. If any vehicle warrenty remains, push this issue and have it inspected, otherwise you will need to investigate this issue for yourself.

Cheers and kindest regards

Paul Harrington.

chelly.kerz
chelly.kerz · 6

Has anyone had problems with the engine?

brian

My brother in law had one of those Mazda cars and kept getting problems with the engine so he just bought another car though unfortunately some knuckle head or heads stole it.

r.hartog
r.hartog · 6 GG/GY (2002-2007)

Hi just wandering if anyone out there who has Mazda 6 yr 05 or near and hear a ting ting ting noise in engine area for 4-5 min after a good 45 min drive n been warmed up, just bought few days ago an under warranty but know I never heard that noise with my last car diff model though? Thanks

brian

It could be a big or small problem though if the car is still under warranty then I suggest you take it back to the Mazda Australia workshop to the mechanics to have a good look at it

Dexta
Dexta · 6

In terms of economy, is the 2.4 ltr petrol good,bad or otherwise?

Habidere

It all depends on your right foot. Around town we get 600km to a tank and with 2 adults and 2 children and the rear absolutely full on holidays we get over 900km out of a tank. For the way our car is driven, I think it is very good on fuel.

Taffy P
Taffy P · 6

How comfortable is the seating? We own a Subaru Forester and the unholstery if HARD.

We are elderly and need soft support.

Habidere

Our Mazda replaced a 2005 Subaru Impreza RV (basically the same interior as a Forester) and the seats, although firm in the Mazda, are like an expensive sofa compared to those in the Subaru. They give very good support and no matter how long the journey, I have never gotten out of the car feeling sore. Hope this helps.

Loretta86
Loretta86 · 6 GH (2008-2012)

Hi. Im thinking about buying a mazda 6 2012 touring. I really need a car that is fuel efficient and cheap to run being a student. How is this car with consuming fuel? Any feedback would be great!

Peter-k
Peter-k

Hello Loretta

The Mazda 6 isn't bad, we get about 10 litres to the 100k around town in prodominatly peak hour traffic. We have found that the Mazda is very reliable and reasonable to service. Hope this helps. Peter

Select a listing for your question
Mazda 6

Extra Information

Brand Manager for Mazda? Claim your listing.