Mazda CX-9

Mazda CX-9 (page 2 of 6)

TC (2016-2019) and TB (2007-2015)

Excellent 7 Seater with great styling at a good price

I love the styling, interior comfort/space, fuel economy and the quietness of the car. There is decent space behind the third-row seat which can even fit a pram. The boot space beat other people mover like Toyota Tarago, Honda Odyssey because this car is more than 5m long. The second row can fit 2 children car seats and an adult in the middle. The 2.5L petrol turbo engine is decent and quiet, but it will be better if there is a diesel engine option.

If you want a good looking and comfortable 7 seater SUV at a great price, go check out this great car. I highly recommend it.

BadgeTouring
Date PurchasedMay 2017

Great car overall but there are some small problems.

Performance is good with 3 adults and 2 kids. You can feel the car is working very hard when adding 2 more adults to the back. It is not a proper people mover with .
Handling and corning ability are great for its size and height. Mazda did a good job here. If people are aftering real handling car they shouldn't buy any SUV.
Mazda did a good job with road noise and it is very quiet inside. Much better than the new Mazda 6
It is very reliable and mechnical sound. It is also cheap to run. Much cheaper than the 2015 Toyota Kluger we replaced.

Bad things:

Centre console gets really hot when 2nd air-con for the back is not turned on which is rubbish engineering. Tempertare can reach up to about 50 degrees depending on length of driving time. Mazda's fix is very rubbish by puting better heat shield. 2nd air-con should not generating heat when it is not in use. 2nd air-con should have cooling when geting hot. Mazda doesnt have a proper solution yet.

Piano black interior panels are bad and so easy to scratch.

Problematic NAV / multimedia system before the software updates.

Rear power door is very noisy to open and shut. More noisier when the weather is hot.

Steering wheel plastic fitting is very rubbish and so easy to move the centre picece plastic (loose). But they fix the problem in the new CX-5.

Blind spot monitoring system is not 100%. It works most of time and it wont work properly sometimes. Keep the head checking.

Driver side sunvisor rattles when it is down.

Overall it is a great car for family. But Mazda Australia is not very prompt to fix problems they created at the first place just like the disel problems.

BadgeAzami 4WD
Date PurchasedMar 2017

Amazing car!amazing drive

The feel and drive is smooth. Legroom is very good, handling also amazing.
Noise is very less. Interiors look very classy
This car is the best SUV in the same price range

Downside: petrol thirsty , preferred a analog speedometer and the back camera line guidance is not very good

One of the very few PROPER 7 seat car, that can sit 7 adults

We bought this car around 4 years ago as we as a family were growing and the car hasn't disappointed us. We were tossing up between this, Kluger and Territory. So lucky we chose this because it's an absolute joy to drive. It's spacious enough to actually accommodate 2 adults in the last row hence I call it a proper 7 seat car. Mechanically there have been ZERO issues since owning it and maintaining is also decent since Mazda has capped price servicing on the car and only need to service the car once every year.

The only negative is the fuel economy. Even on a clear highway to highway run you will be lucky to get close to getting an economy of 12. But, that was something we knew of beforehand and were ready to compromise that vs the driving superiority and internal luxury.

Date PurchasedDec 2013

Great car for the money

We've had this car now for 2 months after replacing our Toyota Kluger Grande which we had for several years as our primary family mover. We bought the GT model in AWD which adds a few quality of life features and aesthetic upgrades over the lower grades. I never really bought into the safety features of cars until I had a family and i can tell you, this thing has avoided a couple of potential dust ups already; The autonomous emergency braking (which is available on all the CX9 models) pulled us up when we were cut off by a driver on their phone and one turning out from a driveway and not looking where they were going. Not until you experience this feature for real, do you appreciate how safe this car is designed to be. I joke with my wife that its almost impossible to crash this thing.

The car looks great, drives smooth and is very quiet in the cabin - much quieter than any other SUV we tested in this price range. Middle row can accommodate adults easily, the 3rd row is kids only for long trips or adults for short stints. Boot space is still functional with the 3rd row up, a few shopping and school bags fit in their with ease.

No dramas with the engine and it is quite punchy on the highway and around town when needed.

The only drawback to this car is that it is big, the trade off for being so spacious inside - parking has taken some time to get used to but it has an excellent rear parking camera and the GT comes with front and rear parking sensors. As the car has high window sills, and thick pillars it also has some bigger blind spots but this is negated partly by blind spot alert - you get used to it.

If you are reading this review you are probably tossing up between the CX9 and the other usual suspects - Kluger, Sorrento, Pathfinder etc. We looked at them all but most are just face lifts or slight evolutions from previous models. The CX9 feels like a much more expensive car then its competition and packs alot of features into a car you can get into for a reasonable amount. Plus, its the best looking out of the above mentioned options.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

MY2017 model Mazda CX-9 Touring - Fantastic family car, very impressive and comfortable!

Hubby and I purchased this car in December 2017 after our family had oit grown our X-Trail. Purchasing the ne model CX9 Grand Touring was a bit of a, “No Brainer” for us. We have purchased several Mazda’s over the years and have a Mazda 3 (2011) as our family runabout. The only reason we purchased the X-Trail was because we wanted a medium size car, at the time, with 7 seats.
Fast forward 4 years and our family needed a larger vehicle. The car drives like a dream and has plenty of guts with the new 2.5L turbo engine, both around town and on the Highway. The Grand Touring model comes with the leather option which, is very convenient with small kids. Technology wise, it is very user friendly and has everything you would expect from a vehicle of this caliber. We have had the car for just over two months now and I am yet to find a fault with the car or an addition we would have liked. I do a lot of running around with the kids and I have to say that I have been very impressed with the fuel economy on such a big car.
The kids are loving the aircon in the back seats and riding a bit higher on the road. Another feature they love is the auxiliary plug in the middle of the passenger seats, to ensure the IPAD stays charged during long trips. Hubby and I are pretty happy about that too!
If you get a chance to drive the new CX9 Grand Touring, you will see why it has won so many awards and deservedly so.
We purchased our vehicle through Penfolds Mazda in Burwood and as long as we continue servicing with them, we will maintain a 5 year warranty which, we were very pleased with. Overall, we are extremely happy with the CX9 and are loving the extra space to drive around the kids with all their gear.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Smart looking but over rated

I love the look of our Mazda CX-9 Only 55.000 km
The interior is lever though after only 5 years has cracked also the steering wheel
To be honest it’s not as comfortable as I thought I the middle & back seats
The air con doesn’t travel to the back

The air con flooded once
And now it sounds like it’s in over drive with gear issues

Date PurchasedNov 2013

Awesome car

Been driving for 12 months now. I love the driving experience. Running costs are quite low and it is very reliable.

It is full of great features like cruise control, auto city braking, reverse assist, electronic brakes, sat nav, keyless entry.

I would recommend it to families with kids.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Super car

Worth the price you paid for. I got the version with AWD, Sun roof, Leather Seat, and Bose audio system.
It feels very high tech, design is almost perfect.
Turbo engine also very powerful, never had the sluggish feeling like CX-5 does.
Only thing is the third passenger row is not very spacious (like Kia Carnival), but if you don't constantly have passengers on the third row, it should be a perfect car for you.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

It’s a Dream car, we have rejected Audi Q7 for it.

Absolutely a delight to drive.
Not to mention enough torque and ability to pull a 2plus tonne vehicle.
We have tried allot of vehicles but nothing came close to the cx9.
As much as I hate the badge on them, it’s a dream to drive.
I hate diesels, their pick ups their sound, their ability to cause lung cancer

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great value for money

3 months and 4,000km have done since new purchase. So for so good. It's got very stylish exterior and interior. It drives and handles very well even for me (I drove many sports sedans and coupes recently when I was young). Plenty of power even though there is only 4 cylinder 2.5 litre turbo engine available for such a big SUV (thanks to turbo charger) You can easily take over other vehicles on highways. Average fuel consumption is 8.6L/100km on the clock since new. I live in Adelaide metro area and mainly drive around city. (but remember there is not much traffic jam in Adelaide metro area) I can't say something about reliability as I own this car only for 3 months. Most modern cars (especially Japanese cars) don't have big issues with reliability. Only time will tell about reliability. My only concern about reliability is the turbo system. Mazda's CX-7 has had a lot of problem with turbo system failure. Hope this won't happen to CX-9.

However, there are few down sides on the vehicle especially as a family SUV. Firstly, there is no air vent for the third row and on top of that, air-conditioning power is not as strong as other Japanese cars. Third row occupants may suffer when outside is over 35 degree. Secondly room for third row isn't generous enough. It probably fit two adult for a short trip, but that is it. You can't expect you can have two adults on the third row for a long journey and even for kids. There is also problem with cargo space. You may not have enough room for luggage for 7 people when all three rows up especially for few days of long trip. Also, you'll have long cargo area when 2nd and 3rd rows are fold, but there is height limit due to a room for spare tyre under third row seats. I could easily carry 7kg washing machine with my previous Rav4, but not with CX-9. Finally, even though it still drives beautifully, you can still feel turbo lacks under certain circumstances.

The title of this article is great value for money. I purchased 'sports' trim which is very entree level of 4 badges (sports, touring, GT and Azami) Even though it is basic trim, sports trim comes with satellite navigation, climate control air conditioning, auto folding mirror and most importantly, its got all safety features including emergency stop with auto braking up to 80km/h, blind spot monitoring, and rear cross traffic alert. You can't get this much features with any other entree level models from other makers. (e.g. Kluger or Pathfinder, etc.) If you don't have enough budget, so have to choose entree level trim, CX-9 is the best value for money. Looking for a stylish mid to large SUV with occational use of 7 seats capacity? CX-9 would be perfect car for you, however, if 7 seats capacity is the main reason why you are interested in CX-9, go back and check other cars on the market.

All in all, I'm quite happy with CX-9 as I don't need 7 seats capacity so often, but it is required sometimes. I'm not a racer, but enjoy driving a car and CX-9 is unbelievably following my control despite it is a large SUV. 'Get it for you family, drive it for yourself' this Mazda's catchphrase explains all about CX-9 very well, I think.

BadgeSports

Luxury

Mazda CX-9.
Looks and feels amazing-the dash lights up perfectly-interior is very comfortable and can not find a fault to the design, heated seats. Perfect for bug families ,Very spacious no matter where your seating, performance is AAA+
Very smooth drives in the CX-9’s.

Mazda CX-9 is Definitely a head turner.
LOVE IT

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Great family SUV!!

So far so good. Love the LED headlights! Great safety features. Great 3rd row seating.
Only cons so far: 1.No auto door lock functions. 2.No rear split glass option. 3.Headlight has to be manually turned on in the rain (my previous vehicle turns on headlight after 7 sweeps of the wiper). 4.For a vehicle of this price, no LED DRLs in the lesser 2 models.

Perfect Family SUV

The 2017 Mazda CX-9 GT (MY18) is probably one of the best value for money SUV in the category of 7 seaters today. Excellent technology combined with excellent handling and performance making driving the car an absolute pleasure. Sleek interiors and finish gives the CX-9 a luxury feel. Also loaded with most of the high end features as compared to the Azami apart from the Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Dep/Maint Assist, the GT still feels like the top end CX-9. Pretty impressive safety features with active blind spot detection and warning, Traffic Sign Recognition, Speed Camera Warning etc.
Economical on the fuel consumption in comparison with the immediate contender, the Toyota Kluger.
Decent leg room overall and even for the third row seats provides comfortable ride for two adults for local trips.Plenty of boot place with the third row folded down.
Highly recommended for anyone looking for a 7 seater family SUV with a feeling of luxury in this class.

Purchased in October 2017.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Uhh its ok

I like the handling and performance but it breaks down easily and it is really loud I have the aircon e because the vents break easily but the speaker are absoulty amazing and the blue tooth connection is so good it comes through perfectly almost every time overall it is a goo car but it's has some major issues

BadgeClassic
Date PurchasedAug 2013

Good car with shortcomings

Drives reasonably, perhaps ordinary for. $55k car being a luxury model (mid range). Has some great features such as lots of space, especially for 3rd row and big boot size if 3rd row is folded down, tilt side mirrors while reversing, sun roof, reasonable music system, large wheels, rain sensor wipers, leather interiors, heated front seats, dual climate control. Downside fuel thirsty, noisy for a car at that price range, bluetooth has very poor integration with IPhone. Making a phone call takes multiple steps an annoying feature, GPS maps are never upgraded despite MAZDA claiming its service gives the advantage

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Excellent family car, big third row space

Comparing with other 7 seater car, CX9 has generous third row space, it can easily fit a adult comfortably. The center console in cx9 is modern, and easy to use. The car is very quiet when driving, this is helpful especially I have a 6 weeks old baby in the car.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Excellent family car

Was sceptical to begin with but now a complete convert. Our 7 seater CX-9 is a great family car with plenty of space for our 5 member family, great looks and excellent technology. We also have a Mercedes-Benz as the alternative car and yet the Mazda is becoming the car if choice for most family activities. Fuel efficiency is not perfect but then again it is a heavy 7 seater car even though it drives and feels like a mid size SUV.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

I LOVE my CX9 - perfect for the larger family

Having been a Mazda lover all my life and upgrading from the CX5 the jump to the CX9 after baby 3 was a push with the worry it would be too big to manage. It turns out it's just as easy to drive as the CX5 and Mazda 3. It has more power and is far more responsive than the CX5 was making it an impressive upgrade. It is quiet, smooth to drive and the safety features are incredible. The blindspot detect is handy especially when the back row of seating is occupied. Fuel economy is great too. Would buy another in a heart-beat.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

dream family car

the performance is so good, it is easy to forget the size of the vehicle. the same goes for handling, its light and easy to steer, doesnt roll around corners.
there is SO much room in these cars - both in width of the interior and height. Plus with the cupholders for everyone and rear a/c being a bonus.
Have found to get around 500km to a tank of fuel, with mostly city driving.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Sunroof has a rattle any suggestions

What would cause the sun roof to rattle

Hi, I bought Mazda CX-9 FWD couple of years ago but realising now that I should have bought AWD. Is there a kit that I can upgrade to from FWD to AWD?
Hi Ryiu not 100% if a kit would be available try a call to Mazda , But i think the cost would not be practical i think it is a $5 upgrade from new so getting one retro fitted would hurt the wallet . all the best

TC Azami AWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TC Azami FWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TC Sport AWD, 2.5L PetrolMazda CX-9 TC Sport FWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TC Touring AWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TC Touring FWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TC Azami LECX-9 TC GT AWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TC GT FWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TB LuxuryCX-9 TB ClassicCX-9 TB Grand Touring
Starting Price $66,390$62,390$50,990$46,990$56,990$52,990$68,190$64,790$60,790
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels20" Alloy20" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy18" Alloy20" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars
Doors555555555555
Seats777777777777
Fuel Consumption8.8L/100km8.4L/100km8.8L/100km8.4L/100km8.8L/100km8.4L/100km8.8L/100km8.8L/100km8.4L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 74 L72 L74 L72 L74 L72 L74 L74 L72 L76 L76 L76 L
Engine4 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.56 Cylinder, 3.7L6 Cylinder, 3.7L6 Cylinder, 3.7L
Max Power170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm204kW@6250rpm204kW@6250rpm204kW@6250rpm
Max Torque420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm367Nm@4250rpm367Nm@4250rpm367Nm@4250rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapan
Safety Features ABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure Monitor
Extra Features 360° Camera, Android Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Heated Steering Wheel, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice Control360° Camera, Android Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Heated Steering Wheel, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice Control360° Camera, Android Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Heated Steering Wheel, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice Control
Ground Clearance222 mm222 mm222 mm222 mm222 mm222 mm222 mm222 mm222 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Sep 2018Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2017Jan 2007Jan 2010
Discontinuation dateDec 2015Dec 2015Dec 2015