Mazda CX-9

Mazda CX-9 (page 4 of 6)

TC (2016-2019) and TB (2007-2015)

Comfy family car that runs well

Mechanically I can't fault this car. We have had no issues whatsoever.

The boot space is good. With the back seats down, it is incredible!

All seats are comfy, including the back seats. They are easy to lift up and down to convert 5 seats to 7 as needed. Getting into the back seats is tricky if you have child restraints on the middle seats though.

The main issue we have had is parking, as often parking spaces are not wide enough to be able to get small children out of each door easily with people parked either side.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Amazing family car

Good on power with 7 people on board.
Love the sports mode. Designs and ergonomic chairs are perfect.
Suits all family needs.
Love the interiors and it feels like a cockpit.
Fuel economy not bad .
170kw power is amazing and unleaded petrol is a bonus.
This car is much bigger and longer upto 5 meters compared to its competitors.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Everything else is a generation behind!!!

We recently bought a 2016 CX-9 Touring AWD as a family vehicle and could not be happier with it. We test drove the competitors which included the new Kluger (US built) and Santa Fe and honestly they felt like they were a generation behind when compared to the CX-9. The driving experience so far has been excellent and the car feels nimble and smaller than it actually is. The interior is quiet, well appointed and designed with plenty of leg room for all occupants. The engine is refined with plenty of low down pull but I have found that the auto sometimes has to have some time to think about which gear it wants to select when changing down.

It was not a surprise to learn that the CX-9 just won car of the year!

BadgeTouring AWD
Date PurchasedJan 2017

A driving dream!

For a big car its so quiet and drives like a dream! We are so happy with our new family car the seats are roomy and unlike a lot of other SUVs we looked at, the 6th and 7th seats comfortably fit 2 adults. So much room for luggage and surprisingly good on petrol after a test drive to the ACT. Love it!!

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Great family car

Love driving this car - lots of power. Interior great, but would love leather seating. I love the blue tooth and reverse camera makes parking very easy. Plenty of room for three car seats across the middle and easy to strap kids in and out of car.
Awesome boot size for prams, port a cots and everything that comes with children without feeling like a massive car

Date PurchasedJul 2016

A dream car

I bought my dream car a Mazda CX-9 Touring FWD 2 with SkyActiv technology in August 2016 after having waiting for it since 2011 (when the SkyActiv technology was released by Mazda).
No complains at all about the car.
It looks very attractive (exterior and interior).
The features are very working perfectly.
The only wish I have ... I wish it has Apple CarPlay.

BadgeTouring
Date PurchasedAug 2016

A good car with minor issues

I got 2007 CX 9. Had a great experience. But recently the paint started peeling off from just near rear door which is shocking. Driving, performance and handling of Mazda is great. I fell in love with shape. Interior is great design but poor quality. One of main problem with A/C is not having enough cooling for the third row seats.

Date PurchasedFeb 2011

Impressed

We've had the new CX-9 for 5 months (5,500k's) and am vey happy with our purchase.
The engine is great it pulls like a V6 but at only 2000rpm rather than 3500rpm like my mates Kluger.
It has the characteristics of a deisel engine 420Nm@2000 rpm but without the deisel noise. Though it accelerates well down low it does run out of steam higher in the revs.
The ride is nice and handles good and is quiet inside the cabin and there is ample room in both rows of rear seats and the boots space with both rows up is pretty good.
The Mazda infotainment system is excellent, easy to use and navigate especially with the joystick on the centre console I just wish it had apple carplay.
The dash layout and instrument cluster is very appealing and heads up display is awesome.
There are a few things that I'm not impressed with though, it has a space saver spare, no AC vents for the 3rd row seats, no hill hold and only 2 12V outlets but it does have 2 USB outlets in the centre console and 2 in the rear seat centre rest.
All in all very impressed with the CX-9 but it is a brand new model so time will tell about reliability.

BadgeGT
Date PurchasedJul 2016

Money Money Money

If you buy a Mazda cx9 I hope you have a lot of money to fix anything that needs replacing - No 2nd hand/generic parts for this car and no individual parts sold from Mazda you have to buy the entire kits. I have spent over $7000 just fixing issues with the front end and it still pulls to the left with no reason as to why - 5 x wheel adjustments and alignments in 6 months been in the mechanics more then we have had it to drive.

Will never buy a CX-9 again.

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Sorry I ever bought the Mazda CX-9

I bought a 2008 Mazda CX-9 used 3 years ago with 30k miles and have had nothing but problems. The car looks nice but, the reliability is terrible. First, I had to replace the power booster because that had cracks in it and it went out. Second of all, I had problems with the transmission and had a new one of those put in The repair parts were hard to find because they didn't make them yet. Now I have a recall on the sprocket the connects the wheel to the axle I have spent over 6K on this car. I will never buy Mazda again its terrible engineering.

BadgeGrand Touring
TransmissionAutomatic

For a lot of people this will be the best choice out there

For a family with 4 or at a pinch 5 kids this is a very sound choice. It's big enough to fit everyone in as well as some groceries (unlike say a Honda Odessey and many others). All your children are permitted to have legs (unlike Subaru Tribecca). It handles well and is powerful enough to pass something on a highway fully ladened (try that in the Honda). Could take half a star off for fuel consumption but that's the price of performance. 7 years of flawless performance - that's what I want from a car, that's what I got.

Only better solution for me was an Audi Q7, but its an extra $40,000 and it's a tad harder to park (150mm longer).

TransmissionAutomatic
Just had to choose between a 2015 Grand Tourer with 10,000 km on the clock and a new 2016 Grand Tourer. I loved my 2010 CX9 AWD luxury, so I wanted more of the same. Newer model is 25% more fuel efficient, but a tad less roomy and no A/C to the back seat was enough to convince me to save $15,000. New one is a very nice car though and if I were made of money I'd get one.

Happy choice SUV

After nearly 6 months of casually test driving SUVs I was fixated on the CX9. in Direct comparison to the Kluger which I also test drive my alliances sided with the Mazda. Most 7 seater car cars provide 6th and 7th seats for children however with the Mazda CX9 I found the far rear seats quite comfortable with ease getting in and out for a bigger bloke. The performance of the 3.7 litre is great although the heavier your foot the thirstier it becomes. That said the handling is good however it is a big car and comes with the challengers of any big car - parking and navigating tight spots - that said the reverse camera helps out and makes things allot easier. Cabing space if very generous no moving you seat forward to accommodate rear passengers, Seats are very comfy although I find the roofline lower that other cars. While it doesn't have all the fancy extras like lane change avoidance, front cameras for collision detection, it has everything you need with out the added cost. If you looking for a car in this class Mazda CX-9 is great the fuel consumption is higher than other but understandably its a trade off of the power under the hood. My First Mazda and I'm pretty sure it won't be my last. Shout-out to Penfold Mazda in Burwood - I will continue to drive the extra 20km for great service.

Love my car!

Bought Mazda 9 luxury model in 2008. I tend to keep my cars till they die. Love this car and it's going strong. Have not had any problems with it. Love the height, though there is a blind spot on left and right sides. This has been addressed in later models. It is heavy on fuel around town, ok on freeway. It's spacious, fits our large family and more, lots of room for luggage and was happy with safety features. I love the sound system! :).

A great car

Driving this car for 7 years has been a dream to drive like the leather seats and the bulky but thoughtfully laid out arrangement besides some problem of the transfer case has been replaced twice and is on the way to being replaced again due to wear and Mazda couldn't fix the problem, and i have never been around an engine as hot as the engine even though of the size (you could cook your meals on it!)This all has to do with poorly engineered parts from ford, which has tarnished the reputation of Mazda even though i had previously owned many Mazda's, besides that i would buy another Mazda without the parts designed by Ford. The car has traveled over 250,000 km and is still going strong except the fuel efficiency that all cars of this size and mass has.

BadgeGrand Touring

Love the CX-9

I have a 2010 Mazda CX-9 Luxury (bought brand new in 2010). It is a wonderful car to drive, comfortable, loads of room, never had any problems with it. Doing a combination of suburban and rural driving my fuel consumption is 12.8L/100km (I always fill up with Premium 98 ULP). As a family of only 3 this is still such a great size car, sit high on the road never have to worry about things not fitting in the boot (I recently fit 2x 75cm suitcases - large, 1x 68cm suitcase - medium and 2x 55cm suitcases - carry on size in to the boot with no dramas at all) The 3rd row of seats have plenty of room for two adults to sit comfortably, my parents in law often compliment the car on the amount of room they have in the 3rd row and how comfortable the ride is. The sound system sounds awesome. The AC is fantastic, I often forget to shut the sunroof on really hot days but i don't worry as the AC has blasted the car full of cold air almost straight away (in my previous car a holden cruze the AC had minimal effect during summer). I honestly love my CX-9 and would definitely buy again.

TransmissionAutomatic

SUV that drives like a sports car...and uses fuel like one too

Overall if you remove the expected cons of fuel consumption and replacing tyres this is an outstanding vehicle that drives like a sports car with the size of a 4WD. Did not come standard with Bluetooth or GPS which was disappointing but the extra money to get these items was too much
Handling and overall performance is outstanding for a car of this size. Quality of finish is excellent. Car looks stylish. Third row of seats capable of seating full size adult with foot well and is a stand out against competitors.
Tyres on the 20 inch rims will only get you about 30,000 km (normal driving!). Replacements appear to be restricted to original tyres at about $400 a pop. Fuel consumption is heavy and I get about 15L per 100km. This is expected for this type of vehicle so not out of the ordinary. Reversing camera distorts view and needs a audible sensor.

TransmissionAutomatic

A great, large family cruiser

A terrific touring vehicle that has already saved us a fortune in flying away for long weekends - we now take the car. I said wow the first time I saw the sand interior, and I still feel that way when I jump in each morning. I have had lots of cars in a very short time, and at this stage, the only reason this CX-9 will go, is to replace it with another CX-9 that has those niggles above sorted out.
To pick up on some of the earlier cons... I'm glad it doesn't have built in SatNav - it forced me to buy a handheld unit that can be swapped between cars. Eventhough I rarely have the back seats up, but unlike the Toyota Kluger there is nowhere to store a cargo cover if you suddenly don't need it away from home - I got the windows tinted more heavily at the rear so no one can see in. The petrol filler cap has enough strap/chain to thread through a little hook on the lower edge of the filler door so it doesn't rest on the bodywork.
The performance, the handling, the quality, the comfort, the sound system, the 20 inch rims (this may change when I have to buy tyres?!), the sand colour interior, the split third row seat, the space behind the third row seat when they are up.
According to the kids, there should be a rear seat dvd player. I don't like how the tracks for the middle row are exposed and fill up with sand, dirt (no food allowed in my car, but it would end up there too) - see current Toyota Kluger as one way to do it. Sunglasses holder doesn't hold my relatively small pair of sunglasses. No little spot for the garage door remote (so mine is in the sunglasses holder). The drink holders could do with some sort of material in their base so that drink bottles don't rattle around when driving.

Central locking breakdown

I have had to replace the central locking 6 times in 5 years. Each door has gone once with the drivers door 3 times. Not happy

First and last Mazda

This is our first Mazda and it will be our last.

The transfer case on our 2008 CX9 failed at 100,000Km. I have never heard of cars having the transfer case fail at this early stage. I was advised by Mazda that this was "normal were and tear" and parts wear out.

I would not have bought this vehicle should I have known that "normal wear and tear" means a couple of thousand $ to repair at 100,000km due being out of warranty.

Fuel consumption is very poor. Started around 18l/100km when new, now sits around 15.5l/100km.

On the good side, it is a comfortable roomy 7 seater and drives nicely (when it works).

I would probably give it a higher rating if the transfer case had not failed - but in the circumstances and lack of support from Mazda I have no option but to give it a very poor rating.

Nice car when it goes

very nice to drive, horrible at the bowser, I get average of 16-18 l/100k every tank and I drive slow.
have had brakes replaced 4 times, front wheel bearings 5 times and this week brake booster. apart from all that I love driving it.

I am looking at a 2008 CX9 with 180000 kilometres do I need to be concerned about anything

Sunroof has a rattle any suggestions

What would cause the sun roof to rattle

TC Azami AWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TC Azami FWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TC Sport AWD, 2.5L PetrolMazda CX-9 TC Sport FWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TC Touring AWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TC Touring FWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TC Azami LECX-9 TC GT AWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TC GT FWD, 2.5L PetrolCX-9 TB LuxuryCX-9 TB ClassicCX-9 TB Grand Touring
Starting Price $66,390$62,390$50,990$46,990$56,990$52,990$68,190$64,790$60,790
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Wheels20" Alloy20" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy20" Alloy18" Alloy20" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars
Doors555555555555
Seats777777777777
Fuel Consumption8.8L/100km8.4L/100km8.8L/100km8.4L/100km8.8L/100km8.4L/100km8.8L/100km8.8L/100km8.4L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 74 L72 L74 L72 L74 L72 L74 L74 L72 L76 L76 L76 L
Engine4 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.54 Cylinder, 2.56 Cylinder, 3.7L6 Cylinder, 3.7L6 Cylinder, 3.7L
Max Power170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm170kW@5000rpm204kW@6250rpm204kW@6250rpm204kW@6250rpm
Max Torque420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm420Nm@2000rpm367Nm@4250rpm367Nm@4250rpm367Nm@4250rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapan
Safety Features ABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure Monitor
Extra Features 360° Camera, Android Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Heated Steering Wheel, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice Control360° Camera, Android Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Heated Steering Wheel, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice Control360° Camera, Android Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Heated Steering Wheel, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Heads-up Display, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice Control
Ground Clearance222 mm222 mm222 mm222 mm222 mm222 mm222 mm222 mm222 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2016Sep 2018Jan 2016Jan 2016Jan 2017Jan 2007Jan 2010
Discontinuation dateDec 2015Dec 2015Dec 2015