great family car

we purchased this car last month as our Commodore no longer suites our growing family and it has been good. Very comfortable to drive and has heaps of safety features such as lane depart and a feature to slow you down if you are coming too close.
it looks really lovely too, with the sunroof and leather interior and maps are very clear.
fuel economy isn't fantastic as a downside (about 13 l/100) and boot size is tiny with the 7 seats up (which is why we bought it) but overall I am happy

Purchased at Berwick Motor Group for $66,000.00.

Noise Level
Features
Comfort

It is what it is

On our 2nd CX-9 '13 GT AWD
A great car to drive comfortable family car 4 kids fit and all day trip 8+ hrs driving is a breeze with luggage room to burn
around town drive it like a cruise car and it is great , fuel economy for use ave 12.5l/100km neither bad nor good.
(i always check friends cars ave fuel on their computers and you'd be surprised what some cars do ), but best was 10.1 on highway trips to Townsville and Melbourne from NSW
The tom tom nav system can be frustrating have updated twice and still cant find some rds , but do your homework before you go on whereis being 2013 some features are outdated
Now these cars have power to burn (v6) and to me are so over powered with no effort you can drive this thing like a beast you be surprised how they want to go if you let them ,,,
I wouldn't buy a 2wd after test driving one even my wife had traction control bouncing ( and if you think she's a lead foot 75k in the GT 2mm left on original tyres and still on 1st set of brakes now that's babying hows your form)

But all in All Great car fills the need of the family (4kids) that just didnt want a van
Easy to drive can go anywhere in comfit and room to burn

would i buy another? yes for sure
if i didnt need the 7 seats ? no i would have stuck with the mazda6

Date PurchasedJan 2016
DriveAWD

Great engine and gearbox, internal storage a let down

Great engine and gearbox so smooth and lots of torque. Gearbox shifts so nicely, would be nice if was 8 speed, but seems to work just great as a 6 speed. Interior is nice, however it does lack storage compartments compared to other vehicles in its class. Find receipts, tickets etc, difficult to find a home while driving. The boot is huge, however the heavily raked rear window does hold it back when the 3rd row seating is up. It is also a very big car. If you have trouble parking and you park a lot in tight sydney CBD parking, then look for a smaller car, this one will drive you crazy. My one pet hate is the lack of proper day driving led lights. For a 60k car, this should be standard, not something only on the top model, cars in 20k range have led day lights. On the open road it great on fuel for such a big car. i-stop in traffic can sometimes be a bit slow to react. 12 months service @ 15ks would be nice, don't know why mazda refuse to offer this.

BadgeGT
Date PurchasedJul 2018
DriveAWD

Big car but great...

When I first got this car I had to adapt to driving a car which was much bigger than any prior car that I would have driven before. However now that I am driving it for a year, I am extremely happy with having gone up a car size or two. The boot space is amazing and perfect for a trip away, or just to fit in my child's pram and the shopping. I love the rear camera as it obviously helps with parking. This is our family car and we drive it daily. Would have liked it if it had a navigation system however...

Date PurchasedOct 2016

love my cx9

- lots of space -- drove 400 Kms to the great ocean road with 6 passengers. everyone has enough leg space.
- 13L/100 Km -- not fuel efficient but a very powerful car. 3.6L engine.
- noise free - I have been driving for 3 years but still no sound from the engine while running

Love driving this car.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

I LOVE OUR CX-9 MAZDA!

Our Mazda CX-9 is a great-looking, comfortable, and well-built seven-seater that feels better to drive than any other big SUV near its price. Its turbo-petrol engine is economical and feels surprisingly sporty. What we like! FOUR STARS Safety, value & features, FOUR STARS Comfort & space, FOUR STARS Engine & gearbox, FOUR STARS Ride & handling, FOUR STARS Technology, FOUR STARS Shrink-wrapped dynamics, FOUR STARS Perky engine, FOUR STARS User-friendly cabin.

BadgeCX-9 6AUTO SPORT FWD
Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Great car overall but there are some small problems.

Performance is good with 3 adults and 2 kids. You can feel the car is working very hard when adding 2 more adults to the back. It is not a proper people mover with .
Handling and corning ability are great for its size and height. Mazda did a good job here. If people are aftering real handling car they shouldn't buy any SUV.
Mazda did a good job with road noise and it is very quiet inside. Much better than the new Mazda 6
It is very reliable and mechnical sound. It is also cheap to run. Much cheaper than the 2015 Toyota Kluger we replaced.

Bad things:

Centre console gets really hot when 2nd air-con for the back is not turned on which is rubbish engineering. Tempertare can reach up to about 50 degrees depending on length of driving time. Mazda's fix is very rubbish by puting better heat shield. 2nd air-con should not generating heat when it is not in use. 2nd air-con should have cooling when geting hot. Mazda doesnt have a proper solution yet.

Piano black interior panels are bad and so easy to scratch.

Problematic NAV / multimedia system before the software updates.

Rear power door is very noisy to open and shut. More noisier when the weather is hot.

Steering wheel plastic fitting is very rubbish and so easy to move the centre picece plastic (loose). But they fix the problem in the new CX-5.

Blind spot monitoring system is not 100%. It works most of time and it wont work properly sometimes. Keep the head checking.

Driver side sunvisor rattles when it is down.

Overall it is a great car for family. But Mazda Australia is not very prompt to fix problems they created at the first place just like the disel problems.

BadgeAzami 4WD
Date PurchasedMar 2017

One of the very few PROPER 7 seat car, that can sit 7 adults

We bought this car around 4 years ago as we as a family were growing and the car hasn't disappointed us. We were tossing up between this, Kluger and Territory. So lucky we chose this because it's an absolute joy to drive. It's spacious enough to actually accommodate 2 adults in the last row hence I call it a proper 7 seat car. Mechanically there have been ZERO issues since owning it and maintaining is also decent since Mazda has capped price servicing on the car and only need to service the car once every year.

The only negative is the fuel economy. Even on a clear highway to highway run you will be lucky to get close to getting an economy of 12. But, that was something we knew of beforehand and were ready to compromise that vs the driving superiority and internal luxury.

Date PurchasedDec 2013

It’s a Dream car, we have rejected Audi Q7 for it.

Absolutely a delight to drive.
Not to mention enough torque and ability to pull a 2plus tonne vehicle.
We have tried allot of vehicles but nothing came close to the cx9.
As much as I hate the badge on them, it’s a dream to drive.
I hate diesels, their pick ups their sound, their ability to cause lung cancer

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Great value for money

3 months and 4,000km have done since new purchase. So for so good. It's got very stylish exterior and interior. It drives and handles very well even for me (I drove many sports sedans and coupes recently when I was young). Plenty of power even though there is only 4 cylinder 2.5 litre turbo engine available for such a big SUV (thanks to turbo charger) You can easily take over other vehicles on highways. Average fuel consumption is 8.6L/100km on the clock since new. I live in Adelaide metro area and mainly drive around city. (but remember there is not much traffic jam in Adelaide metro area) I can't say something about reliability as I own this car only for 3 months. Most modern cars (especially Japanese cars) don't have big issues with reliability. Only time will tell about reliability. My only concern about reliability is the turbo system. Mazda's CX-7 has had a lot of problem with turbo system failure. Hope this won't happen to CX-9.

However, there are few down sides on the vehicle especially as a family SUV. Firstly, there is no air vent for the third row and on top of that, air-conditioning power is not as strong as other Japanese cars. Third row occupants may suffer when outside is over 35 degree. Secondly room for third row isn't generous enough. It probably fit two adult for a short trip, but that is it. You can't expect you can have two adults on the third row for a long journey and even for kids. There is also problem with cargo space. You may not have enough room for luggage for 7 people when all three rows up especially for few days of long trip. Also, you'll have long cargo area when 2nd and 3rd rows are fold, but there is height limit due to a room for spare tyre under third row seats. I could easily carry 7kg washing machine with my previous Rav4, but not with CX-9. Finally, even though it still drives beautifully, you can still feel turbo lacks under certain circumstances.

The title of this article is great value for money. I purchased 'sports' trim which is very entree level of 4 badges (sports, touring, GT and Azami) Even though it is basic trim, sports trim comes with satellite navigation, climate control air conditioning, auto folding mirror and most importantly, its got all safety features including emergency stop with auto braking up to 80km/h, blind spot monitoring, and rear cross traffic alert. You can't get this much features with any other entree level models from other makers. (e.g. Kluger or Pathfinder, etc.) If you don't have enough budget, so have to choose entree level trim, CX-9 is the best value for money. Looking for a stylish mid to large SUV with occational use of 7 seats capacity? CX-9 would be perfect car for you, however, if 7 seats capacity is the main reason why you are interested in CX-9, go back and check other cars on the market.

All in all, I'm quite happy with CX-9 as I don't need 7 seats capacity so often, but it is required sometimes. I'm not a racer, but enjoy driving a car and CX-9 is unbelievably following my control despite it is a large SUV. 'Get it for you family, drive it for yourself' this Mazda's catchphrase explains all about CX-9 very well, I think.

BadgeSports
Date PurchasedNov 2017

Excellent but thirsty

As a family of 7 (4 adults & 3 kids, 1 in a seat), we needed a large people mover. What was important to us was the 3rd row seating and boot space when the 3rd row is is use. I'm 175cm tall and 105kg and can sit comfortably in the 3rd row. A folded pram can be also stored in the boot with the 3rd row in use. Standard creature comforts in the Grand Touring model like Xenon headlights, 2 way sunroof, heated leather seats, satnav, parking camera, front parking sensors and Bose stereo make it very comfortable and a pleasure to drive. The V6 is smooth and quiet however, due to the weight of the car, can be thirsty. We are currently averaging around 420km per tank (70 litre fill up of 98 RON fuel) and using Bridsetone Ecopia tyres at 38psi.
One downside we have had was trying to find a luggage pod that is suitable for this vehicle. Because the mounting points for the roof racks are so far apart, only the premium priced, top of the range/largest Yakima roof pod would fit. To get past this, we bought a roof basket and matching bag to sit on top of the roof racks for our trips away.
The only thig to have gone wrong with the car is the left hand side Xenon HID has died. Turns pink and then turns off. Not bad for a 7 year old vehicle.

Date PurchasedOct 2013

Great car

Great car, lots of leg room and great boot Capacity.
The only negative is the fuel consumption. Mine is sitting on 13.1. I understand it's a powerful car. Overall still very happy. My kids love the fact that I'm the one who's nominated to drive them and their friends to their sports because of the 7 seats. Happy kids equals happy life.

Date PurchasedJul 2015

Perfect car

I love the car. It's big have plenty of space since I have 3 kids Cx9 it's very comfortable for us. Can shopping all my groceries in one go. But too much for the petrol. I normally spend $320 every month. I only use for short drive (pick up my kids from school, go to grocery).

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Comfy family car that runs well

Mechanically I can't fault this car. We have had no issues whatsoever.

The boot space is good. With the back seats down, it is incredible!

All seats are comfy, including the back seats. They are easy to lift up and down to convert 5 seats to 7 as needed. Getting into the back seats is tricky if you have child restraints on the middle seats though.

The main issue we have had is parking, as often parking spaces are not wide enough to be able to get small children out of each door easily with people parked either side.

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Great family car

Love driving this car - lots of power. Interior great, but would love leather seating. I love the blue tooth and reverse camera makes parking very easy. Plenty of room for three car seats across the middle and easy to strap kids in and out of car.
Awesome boot size for prams, port a cots and everything that comes with children without feeling like a massive car

Date PurchasedJul 2016

A good car with minor issues

I got 2007 CX 9. Had a great experience. But recently the paint started peeling off from just near rear door which is shocking. Driving, performance and handling of Mazda is great. I fell in love with shape. Interior is great design but poor quality. One of main problem with A/C is not having enough cooling for the third row seats.

Date PurchasedFeb 2011

Love my car!

Bought Mazda 9 luxury model in 2008. I tend to keep my cars till they die. Love this car and it's going strong. Have not had any problems with it. Love the height, though there is a blind spot on left and right sides. This has been addressed in later models. It is heavy on fuel around town, ok on freeway. It's spacious, fits our large family and more, lots of room for luggage and was happy with safety features. I love the sound system! :).

A great car

Driving this car for 7 years has been a dream to drive like the leather seats and the bulky but thoughtfully laid out arrangement besides some problem of the transfer case has been replaced twice and is on the way to being replaced again due to wear and Mazda couldn't fix the problem, and i have never been around an engine as hot as the engine even though of the size (you could cook your meals on it!)This all has to do with poorly engineered parts from ford, which has tarnished the reputation of Mazda even though i had previously owned many Mazda's, besides that i would buy another Mazda without the parts designed by Ford. The car has traveled over 250,000 km and is still going strong except the fuel efficiency that all cars of this size and mass has.

TransmissionAutomatic

SUV that drives like a sports car...and uses fuel like one too

Overall if you remove the expected cons of fuel consumption and replacing tyres this is an outstanding vehicle that drives like a sports car with the size of a 4WD. Did not come standard with Bluetooth or GPS which was disappointing but the extra money to get these items was too much
Handling and overall performance is outstanding for a car of this size. Quality of finish is excellent. Car looks stylish. Third row of seats capable of seating full size adult with foot well and is a stand out against competitors.
Tyres on the 20 inch rims will only get you about 30,000 km (normal driving!). Replacements appear to be restricted to original tyres at about $400 a pop. Fuel consumption is heavy and I get about 15L per 100km. This is expected for this type of vehicle so not out of the ordinary. Reversing camera distorts view and needs a audible sensor.

Central locking breakdown

I have had to replace the central locking 6 times in 5 years. Each door has gone once with the drivers door 3 times. Not happy