Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter

Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter

Same problem as all the other reviews

The lid doesn't seal properly. Within a couple of weeks, the waste putrifies. Such a waste of money, and unhealthy to have in the house. I will be disposing of this.

Purchased in December 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $40.00.

Doesn’t seal properly - maggots invasion

We bought two of these bins two years ago and are very disappointed. After a few days, there is always a lot of maggots coming out as they don’t seal properly. We got a new seal for both of them 6 months ago but it has not solved the issue.
We will buy another compost bin.

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse.

Mitch

MitchCaringbah

Good, not great

For almost 2 years, I've been using two of these bins (and the 18L version, which doesn't have a good lid at all). While they aren't perfect, I must say that have not experienced the amount of maggots that some reviewers have (touch wood) and the bin/s have done a fair job so far.

It lives in our kitchen on the floor and away from any sunlight/warmth. But, maybe we fill the bin up quickly enough? The bin does live in our garage once it's full, away from sunlight - so I'm not sure if that is a determining factor.

Purchased in February 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $79.99.

Find out how Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter compares to other Compost Bins

Bokashi bin not air-tight and breeds maggots

I bought two 12l Bokashi bins. They breed maggots each time I tried and the juice stunk so I have stopped using them. The bin is poorly designed as it is not air-tight and cannot be used as a Bokashi bin.
SHOULD always read the reviews.

Purchased in November 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse Retail Stores for $39.95.

Linda

LindaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Doesn’t work, breeds maggots.

Doesn’t work. The lid doesn’t seal airtight. After a couple of weeks I had maggots breeding in the bin. Was disgusting to keep inside. I emailed Maze about this on 14 December 2020 and asked what I could do about it, however still waiting for a reply on 26 Jan 2021. Very disappointed.

Purchased in November 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse Retail Stores.

Pru

PruMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Liquid stinks, content putrid and always maggots.

Bought 2 bins from Bunnings thinking i would use them in cycles. Maggots, putrid contents and stinky liquid every time. Its absolutely frightening and disgusting to clean out! We did it twice and thought it would not be realistic to do this on a regular basis. Total wasted of time and money to give this product a go.

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $84.00.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Pru, sorry to hear about your experience with this item. I would be happy to help you find a solution to try and make it work. If you are interested please email me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au

Does not seal! Not a proper bokashi bin

I wish I read the reviews before buying. The lid cannot produce an airtight seal, so the bokashi bin doesn’t not actually work because it needs to be an anaerobic environment. I’ve tried 3 times now, troubleshooting thinking I’ve done something wrong. However every single time, the bin stinks, and attracts fruit flies which also means maggots. You start to smell the bin even with the lid closed, which means there’s air leakage!! I have even tried put a 15kg dumbbell weight on the lid to try to seal it shut- doesn’t work! Don’t buy it! Waste of money.

Purchased in August 2020 for $69.00.

James F.South East Queensland, QLD

Not air tight - wish read the reviews

I impulsively purchases the Maze brand without checking the reviews assuming it would be all good. I did wonder about how well the lid would seal when I first unboxed. Turns out not very well.

My first attempt didn’t work out, lots of bugs/maggots and an aweful smell. After checking online to see if I was doing anything wrong. A major requirement is an air tight container and this most certainly is not. Another review states at 5% may be affected by a defect, but I can’t see anyway this design could be air tight at all.

Purchased in December 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse Online Store for $72.00.

James F.

Hi, thank you for the reply. I organised a return from Bunnings and am using the 18L version, so far seems be working as expected.

Got bokashi and some fruit flys

Bought a bokashi bin from bunnings about a month ago. Been following instructions how to use it but it never mentioned that it can't seal. When I opened it was full of maggots. Shame I like the 18l bin

Purchased in October 2020 for $39.99.

Spencer D.
Spencer D.

Hi Ronen
Thanks for your reply.
I recieved a new lid from your nz supplier but I haven't used it yet. There does still seem to be a gap between the lid and base though.

MCasSouth East Queensland, QLD

Stinks

My first attempt at this . The smell is so bad that I can’t go near it. Had to put it outside. Nothing stopped the bad smell
Very disappointing...would not use it again.

Purchased in October 2020.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, sorry to hear about the issue you are having. If you could email me on rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au we will help and try and solve this problem so you can continue composting.

I have emailed you.

Perfect For Maggot Breeders

Purchased in May 2020 at Eco R Us for $89.00.

McSmurfy

Thanks Ronen M. for your response. I will send you an email and hopefully unlike last time - I receive a response. In fact - I'll forward my email from last time.

Ronen M.Maze

Thanks. i will check that now and respond

Ivy

IvyGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Appears to be a known defect with lid seal

Purchased in October 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $42.00.

Jess B.

Jess B.South East Queensland, QLD

Disappointing

Followed directions and instructions appropriately but still ended up with maggots, fruit flies and constant smell. Definitely not airtight. Am yet to finish my first 2 months but not sure if I will, as I can’t stand the flies, smell and the maggots.

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse.

DiGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

awful product

#Editing my post, I received a very prompt response from the Maze representative, I am looking forward to his assistance for a solution to the defective bokashi bins #

I have a larger maze bin, decised to get smaller bins, twin pack 12litres, new design but the lid is defective not air tight so have flies and maggots and smells bad, the older version with lid that comes off works but not the new flip close lids. waste of money, you won't bokashi, you get rotten maggots ridden waste.

Purchased in August 2020 for $70.00.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Di, sorry to hear about this issue you are having. Please email me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au and i will make sure to help you with this issue. We also have a new one coming out next month with a brand new seal design.

Di

Thanks you for your prompt response.

Di

I have received the new bokashi bins, so far they are working fine, they close with a tight seal and no issues with bugs etc. Really appreciate Maze customer service. Thanks Ronen for following through with what you offered.

T Miller

T Miller

Poor quality and seal degradation

Initially looked forward to the concept and the product however only a few months into ownership the closing seal and the seal near the tap failed.

The bin also smells and generates a lot of maggots and worms. Not what we were after.

Have edited my review due to the very prompt response by the Maze representative. Will try the new one when it arrives. Keen on the concept.

Thankyou.

Purchased in January 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $80.00.

THU

THUSouth East Queensland, QLD

Highly recommended. 5/5

Review:
The Bokashi indoor system is great for unit living. In fact I have bought two one to keep composting and the other to start new compost. It is simple to use and I keep mine out on my balcony in the shade. There is little smell and emptying the liquid is easy with the tap. Highly recommended. 5/5

Purchased in March 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.90.

JB888

JB888Peel, WA

Non-airtight lid = maggots

This product has a dodgy tap fitting that needs to be tightened in just the right spot or it loosens again and leaks all over the bench, and the lid when pressed closed at the front lifts at the back and becomes infested on maggots when it’s left outside to ferment. Not recommended.

Purchased in November 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $80.00.

SteveFar North Queensland, QLD

Maze Compost Bucket

Had the old style bucket which was purchased from Bunnings and it worked perfectly. I soon worked out I needed additional couple for a rotation of them.

Ordered two new ones online and got the new style. Worst mistake ever the new ones don’t seal at the lid at all, and become maggot ridden they are not pest proof. I wish I had returned to Bunnings and got the old style.

I wish I had read these reviews prior to my online purchase. Have emailed Maze and await a response.

Purchased in March 2020 at OzSale.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Steve, as per our emails over the last few days and your email response yesterday we will send you the replacements this week.

Steve

Thanks for such a timely and professional response.

Rancid with flies

Today I buried my first batch - it had flies and smelt putrid. I added vegetable and fruit matter, kept the lid closed, sprayed at the end of each day but lid wasn't airtight and sealed poorly

Purchased in March 2020 at eBay.

Lots of maggots

We bought it from Bunnings and have been using it for about three months. It worked for about a week or two and then we had a whole lot of maggots. We'd been keeping the lid shut the entire time, but I don't think it's sealing properly. We emptied into our compost bin and started again a few times but get maggots always get in and we have so many flies indoors, it's been a bit of a disappointment.

Purchased in January 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $50.00.

hunbasked

Hi i have an 18 litre bokashi system. The lid seals great. But even though there is plenty of liquid nothing drains out the tap. This liquid then causes a really bad smell. Not sure if something is somehow blocking tap but has happened in the first and second bucket

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, can i ask how you know that there is a lot of liquid? I assume the strainer is still at the bottom of the bucket? Please feel free to email at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au. Ronen

hunb

Yes the strainer is at the bottom. I know there is a lot of liquid because when I emptied it into my tumbling composter I had to manually drain the liquid first (holding the compost in and tipping the bucket upside down.) When I emptied the compost and inspected the tap and it did not appear blocked??

Ronen M.Maze

did you try and test the tap with water to see if it works? It sounds very usual. Happy to send you a new tap if you think it will help.

Kathy S.asked

Hi, I recently returned my dual Bokashi bins to Bunnings as the lids were not sealing. After reading the reviews it sounds like there is a gasket in the lid to ensure an airtight seal?
Could you please confirm this as I am keen to compost as much waste as possible and these systems seem ideal.
Cheers
Kathy

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Kathy, yes there is a rubber gasket in the lid that should make it air tight. In the last production the gasket was a bit different so this caused some issues with some bins not being airtight. Our 18L Indoor Composter has a different sealing lid and we have not had any issues with that version.

Hi Ronen,
Thanks for your response. I will see if they are available online again to repurchase the two bin pack.
If it doesnt come with a seal will you be able to assist?
Cheers
Kathy

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Kathy, i suggest waiting a couple of weeks as then we will have a new seal which should be more reliable. Please email me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au in a couple of weeks and i will confirm if we have it.

Fletch

Fletchasked

Hi I am also having trouble with the Maze system I was given for Christmas. Like the other reviews I read I ended up with a bin full of maggots and one day on opening my bin a group of flies escaped into my kitchen. I have only been opening my bin once a day and doing 2-3 sprays a time. It was a very unpleasant experience with the flies escaping and having to clean all the maggots out of the bin. The odor was also very unpleasant making me feel quite ill. Any advice or help would be great as I really want to be able to use this system effectively

Bronwen D.
Bronwen D.

It is definitely a seal issue. I weighed down the lid with a heavy pot and the maggots died overnight. Maze have offered to send me replacement lids. See if they will help you too if you reach out. In the meantime you can keep on composting if the lid is kept down with a weight.

Get an answer from our members and Maze representatives