Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter

Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter

See the Best Compost Bins in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Two bins is the perfect size

Have been using the bokashi system from Maze for a month now and the two bins is the perfect size. Instructions provided are very clear and so far the spray appears to be working perfectly. Using it has drastically reduced the rubbish we put in the red bins. Currently waiting for the first bin to do its work for a couple of weeks and looking forward to burying the food waste in the garden when its done.

Tarik

TarikSydney, NSW

The material looks solid and durable. No smelly or liquid leaks

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.90.

Rachael

RachaelNorthern Region, NSW

I find the compost bin Amazing

I find the compost bin amazing I have had it for a couple of weeks now and have gotten some great liquid fertiliser out of it. It saves me going down to my large outdoor compost bin each day. It breaks down the food scraps and leaves no smell in my house. I highly recommend this product to anyone.

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $68.00.

Instructions which were easy to follow.

We recently purchased a twin indoor compost bin and then followed up with purchasing an outside 245L Tumbler to support our endeavours to become more environmentally aware.

We appreciated receiving the instructions which were easy to follow.

Filled the first bin in four days and well on our way to making our own compost.

Thanks for helping us bridge the gap between wannabee’s and actual adopters of better recycling in the home.

Ruth31

Ruth31MELBOURNE

A great price and size compared to other systems.

The Maze Bokashi system so far seems great- the construction is sturdy, although the lid does require a bit of a push to close properly. I haven’t yet filled it all the way and left it to ferment but presuming the spray does it job in this regard. A great price and size compared to other systems.

Biddy

BiddySydney, NSW

Maggot Hotel!

I’m so disappointed with this product. I bought it online a few weeks ago via Bunnings and it’s already totally maggot infested. I’ve followed the instructions to a t and used the spray every time I put food scraps in, but it’s just beyond gross. And although the lid ‘clicks’ each time I close it, it’s definitely not airtight as I can actually see flies getting in and out around the rim.

I’ve just read some of the below reviews (which I wish I’d read before buying) and see that this is a recurring problem. So can you please contact me to try to arrange a solution? I really don’t want to give up on composting already. Thanks.

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, we can certainly help to resolve this issue for you. Please contact me at rmazor@mazedistribution.com.au.

Olme

OlmeGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Flies and maggots

After having it for couple of weeks, bin started to have maggots and flies in it. We are extremely cautions, leave food in a bowl and bin it once a day, minimise opening and closing. The tap also leaked so i ended up having juice on my bench. It just doesnt seal properly. Just realised a lot of people had same issue as i do. I wished i read this much earlier.

Purchased for $68.00.

Maggots invasion!

We bought 2 of these bins from Bunnings a few months ago and we have had many dramas with them since then. The plastic base that is inside the bins is not properly attached so we lost both when emptying the bins in our local community compost bin. But the worst part is that, as many people complained, the bins are not air tight so we have hundreds of maggots inside the bin after a few days every time ! Completely disgusting. We are following all instructions properly, using the bokashi mix every day, emptying the juice every other day but it just doesn’t work.
Don’t invest in these bins, that’s just a waste of money! The design needs to be changed for it to actually do what it is supposed to do.

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse for $80.00.

Cdm
Cdm

Thanks for your quick reply. We would be happy to try the new ones as we like the idea and would be disappointed to give up on composting because these are not working. Please let me know how to proceed. Thanks

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, please email me you address details and phone number to rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au and we can send it out to you.

Pei Yu

Pei YuPerth, WA

Maggots galore

Purchased in December 2020 for $39.00.

Maggots!

Both the bins we have bought have maggots....a lot of them. The lids simply don't seal properly. I have emailed the company using the address on this forum so I hope I get a quick resolution as hubby and I have a compost disagreement and I'd really like to persist! The actual compost breaks down really fast and otherwise happy, just can't continue with maggots in the kitchen.

Purchased in November 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.00.

Christina R.

Christina R.South East Queensland, QLD

Not airtight

I bought 2 set from Bunnings. I have trialed it on both in the set and have ended up with fruit fly larva each time, despite making sure the lids are closed and even placing a brick on top. These lids are not airtight - I will have to look at other options.

Purchased in March 2019 for $62.00.

Mel Habjan

Mel HabjanSydney, NSW

Rating: 5/5

Joe

JoeSydney, NSW

Fruit fly maggots in lid

Purchased in September 2019 for $80.00.

Julie

JulieSydney, NSW

Green mould and fruit flies!

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse.

Jenny A.South East Queensland, QLD

Leaks, from both ends

We bought the twin pack from Bunnings about 6 months ago. The first issue we noticed was the leaking from the tap. We used silicone to fix that. The second issue has been maggots. We thought it was us, but we have been careful with following the rules and the only thing I can think is that the units are not airtight. The maggots are not dying off after a few days as they should. Is it really this hard to Bokashi?

Purchased in May 2019 at Bunnings for $80.00.

Jenny A.

Thanks for your reply Ronan, I've emailed you.

Jacka H.

Jacka H.Canberra 2600, ACT

Maggots and fruit flies

Bought my first Maze bokashi bin from Bunnings and after letting it sit for its 2 week ferment, opened it up to a small swarm of fruit flies and maggots scurrying away. While smell doesn't eminate from the bin, I'm assuming it isn't airtight as it should be as oxygen can clearly enter. Have started filling up another bin from a different brand with no problems so far..

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.95.

Rating 5/5- have absolutely loved the system and products.

Rating 5/5- have absolutely loved the system and products. Was a recommendation to me in which I have paid it forward. Would Highly Recommend to anyone wanting a great easy to use system.

Purchased in August 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.95.

Unhappy

UnhappyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

My 12L is not airtight either

Bought 17th. Returned and exchanged next day as strainer was damaged. Set up 19/9/19 and seemed to work. Despite compressing and spraying as instructed (but daily), on 26th nasty odour noticeable, Yesterday tiny maggots appeared on insides especially top back. Removed with wet hand towel which went into green bin outside. Today more back in thick clusters - some fell onto bench-top

Purchased in September 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.90.

I rate this product 5 out of 5.

I am writing to review my recent purchase of the Bokashi Indoor Composting System.
I have enjoyed this product so much that I have purchased a 2nd bin to have on rotation and have also put 2 of my work colleagues onto the system as well and would recommend it to anyone, I rate this product 5 out of 5.

Purchased in August 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.95.

Jlaw1968

Jlaw1968Melbourne

Great Composting System

The great thing about this compost bin is that its aesthetically nice to have on your bench top and doesn't take up too much room. It's a good sturdy design and easy to assemble with a valve to remove the excess moisture that can get built up and a paddle to compact the waste down to make room for more. I really like the fact that this bokashi system means i can add cooked foods and meat and dairy - meaning minimal food wastage! Super happy with my purchase!

Purchased in August 2019 at Bunnings for $30.00.

Dinan

Dinanasked

I have filled my indoor 12L and am using my 2nd indoor composter. I was draining the liquid from my full bin just checked the top one is full of mould. Is it normal or not? Also once it was full I stopped spraying. Plz help

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Dinan, Mould is not a problem especially if it is white or grey. You can stop spraying but please make sure to keep draining the liquid.

Nuket

Nuketasked

I'm going to buy 18L Meze Bokashi I read all the commend I am a member of product reviews. I trust you. I know if I have any difficulty you going to helping me.
I have one questions am I buy liquid one or the compos one?

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Nuket, we will certainly help you when using the product or if you have any issues. the 18L is sold with the liquid inside the box already. If you prefer to buy it with the grains you can call our office (03) 9544 6999 and we can arrange that as well.

debplowmanasked

I am 3 weeks into using mine and the smell has become rancid. I am only putting vegetable and fruit scraps in it, not even any bread or anything. I empty the liquid twice a day and it 's so bad it makes me want to vomit. It was fine for 2 weeks but now it's terrible. I make sure to spray the contents each time and the lid is closed very quickly and tightly afterwards and I push down the scraps regularly. What is going wrong?

debplowman

I should add actually that I have the 18L one with the tap, not the 12L one.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, sorry to hear about your bad experience. We will try to make it better. Are you draining the liquid from the tap often? It may be that the Bokashi spray does not have enough microbes. You can try to spray a lot more (10 sprays at least each day). If that does not work we can send you a new spray bottle or maybe the Bokashi grains to try that out. Keep in mind that it may never smell great but should not smell like rotting food or anything too objectionable.

debplowman

Yes I spray it a lot, not the 2 or 3 sprays it advises, more like 8 each time.
It was ok to start with but has got progressively worse and now it’s really appalling, like rank water from a vase of flowers after a week, but worse! I drain the liquid every day, often morning and night. I get 1-2.5 of the little scoops that came with it full every day.

Get an answer from our members and Maze representatives