Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter

Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter

2.6

T Miller

T Miller

Poor quality and seal degradation

Initially looked forward to the concept and the product however only a few months into ownership the closing seal and the seal near the tap failed.

The bin also smells and generates a lot of maggots and worms. Not what we were after.

Have edited my review due to the very prompt response by the Maze representative. Will try the new one when it arrives. Keen on the concept.

Thankyou.

Purchased in January 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$80.00.

THU

THUSouth East Queensland, QLD

Highly recommended. 5/5

Review:
The Bokashi indoor system is great for unit living. In fact I have bought two one to keep composting and the other to start new compost. It is simple to use and I keep mine out on my balcony in the shade. There is little smell and emptying the liquid is easy with the tap. Highly recommended. 5/5

Purchased in March 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$39.90.

JB888

JB888Peel, WA

Non-airtight lid = maggots

This product has a dodgy tap fitting that needs to be tightened in just the right spot or it loosens again and leaks all over the bench, and the lid when pressed closed at the front lifts at the back and becomes infested on maggots when it’s left outside to ferment. Not recommended.

Purchased in November 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$80.00.

SteveFar North Queensland, QLD

Maze Compost Bucket

Had the old style bucket which was purchased from Bunnings and it worked perfectly. I soon worked out I needed additional couple for a rotation of them.

Ordered two new ones online and got the new style. Worst mistake ever the new ones don’t seal at the lid at all, and become maggot ridden they are not pest proof. I wish I had returned to Bunnings and got the old style.

I wish I had read these reviews prior to my online purchase. Have emailed Maze and await a response.

Purchased in March 2020 at OzSale.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Steve, as per our emails over the last few days and your email response yesterday we will send you the replacements this week.

Steve

Thanks for such a timely and professional response.

Rancid with flies

Today I buried my first batch - it had flies and smelt putrid. I added vegetable and fruit matter, kept the lid closed, sprayed at the end of each day but lid wasn't airtight and sealed poorly

Purchased in March 2020 at eBay.

Lots of maggots

We bought it from Bunnings and have been using it for about three months. It worked for about a week or two and then we had a whole lot of maggots. We'd been keeping the lid shut the entire time, but I don't think it's sealing properly. We emptied into our compost bin and started again a few times but get maggots always get in and we have so many flies indoors, it's been a bit of a disappointment.

Purchased in January 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$50.00.

Sofie pham

Sofie phamSydney, NSW

Bad experience

I just have the new 12l maze bokashi from bunning for few weeks ,so excited at first to try new methods of composting, but then this product give me bad experience. I have try any way but the lid seem not seal properly, fruit fly and mag everywhere. Feel terrible hope i did read all the reviews before .

Purchased in April 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$39.99.

Danielle A.

Danielle A.New South Wales

Started off great, now maggot hotel.

I bought a couple of these a month or so ago and was really excited to get into it. The first batch went flawlessly, but I think it was a fluke. This batch has exploded with maggots and I have tried everything to ensure an airtight seal on the lid, however it simply isn't possible as the lid buckles towards the back on both sides. I checked the second one and it has the same flaw also so not even going to try. Judging by the other 25 1 star reviews (out of 58 - there's only 19 5 star reviews!), this isn't unique to my bins nor will it be fixed by trying multiple new lids and seals, so I don't even want to try!

Brilliant system, appalling execution.

Purchased in February 2020 at Catch for A$69.00.

MaM

MaMIllawarra, NSW

Product Rating: 5 out of 5

The Bokashi bin is an awesome composting bin. So simple, no smell and so productive. Cut your fruit and vegetables, straight into the Bokashi bin. Place food scraps in, spray and your done! Everything is so clean and no mess. The liquid fertiliser that is produced is so healthy for my garden and the compost is also amazing. One of the easiest composting methods ever.
Well Done Maze. I will be spreading the news about the simplicity and environmentally friendliness of this bin. My plants are so happy after only one dose. Green, bright and so healthy.Thank you Maze. I am your no.1 ambassador. Do yourself a favour and pick one up soon.

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$39.90.

ThaisSouth East Queensland, QLD

Horrible experience

I am sorry for the disturbing photo but it's needed. This is after 3 weeks the bin is full and sealed with tape. The maggots won't die! waste of time :(

Purchased in January 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$40.00.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Thais, i am very sorry about this experience you had had and if you contact me on rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au i will help you resolve this issue so you can keep composting.

Thais

I sent you an e-mail. Thank you for getting back to me.

Breeding maggots :(

I purchased the 18lt bin form Bunnings several weeks ago and after a week opened the lid and noticed the bin is full of maggots. I really wish I would have seen the reviews before purchase. I've followed the instructions perfectly but still full of maggots. Very disappointed that the lid doesn't seal properly and the product isn't functional.

Purchased in January 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$59.00.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Hannah, can you please contact me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au as i am keen to find out more info and help you fix this problem to your satisfaction.

Maggots!!

Similar to other reviews, thousands of maggots fill my compost bin and it was very disgusting. They eventually got out of the bin and started flying all over in my kitchen and bathroom. I was excited about composting but I am quite disappointed.

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, sorry to hear about this issue with the bins. I'm sure we have help you find a good solution to let you continue composting. Please contact me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au and we can help resolve this issue.

Disappointed

DisappointedSouth East Queensland, QLD

Very Disappointed

I was so disappointed when I discovered that instead of composting my food scraps I was in fact breeding maggots. The lid on this bin does not seal thus making it useless for a bokashi composting. We tried so many times to adjust it and make it seal and yet to no avail, there is definately a flaw.

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$68.00.

Ningnong

NingnongMidge point

Not a tight seal

I have been trying to get these lids to seal ,but the beer fly and flys are still managing to get in. I was so disappointed, as I thought at last a mini composting system without the smell.
I purchased online and I told them the problem and they have replaced them but it's still the same problem the lid buckles at the mid section and allows a gap. I put a 5 litre water jug on top and that sorted it out but that's not the point it should seal like your literature reads.

Purchased in January 2020 for A$89.00.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, sorry to hear about this issue with the bins. Please contact me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au and we can help resolve this issue. If this system is not working for you we can look at a refund or replacement for a different system.

Adrian S.

Adrian S.South East Queensland, QLD

Excitement turned to disgust

After fermenting the first bin for three weeks, we went to dig the results into the vegetable patch. Unfortunately when opening it the entire contents seemed to be a mass of writhing large maggots!!! Not the best result, and now we have to deal with the second bin. I'll be taking them back to Bunnings as they are not fit for purpose.

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Adrian, sorry to hear about this issue with the bins. Please contact me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au and we can help resolve this issue.

LMP

LMPGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

12L Bokashi Bin Leaking

The bin is leaking from the tap seal all over the bench & I can't tighten it. I have the 18L bin which is great. Not this one. Will try the Urban Composter and give it a go.

Purchased for A$44.00.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, sorry to hear about your problem. We can help you find a solution that will work for you. Please contact me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au and we can send you a new bin.

Bokashi 12L bin fail

Left my bin to complete its three week fermentation/composting process and opened the lid today to find it FILLED with hundreds of maggots. Seriously disgusting. Very unhappy with this. The back part of the lid doesn’t close properly so is letting in air and allowing flies to get in. Also have a second bin going that was purchased a few days ago from Bunnings and it’s lid is the same.

Purchased in January 2020 for A$40.00.

Shane

ShanePerth, WA

A good idea but a crappy product

Lids aren't strong enough and bend so they don't seal. Have used new replacement lids, same result maggots, flying insects. Product was damaged when first brought 3 months to replace, now still can't use it. Have 6 lids due to the stuff around and have tried them all, seals in place and they are all as bad as the next. Please buy a different brand if buying one, good idea just crappy product

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$68.00.

Maggots and flies galore

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Victor L.

Thanks Ronen, I appreciate your prompt reply. I will send you an email.

Victor L.

Hello Ronen, I have sent you my email. Have you received it? Please tell me how to proceed.

Maggot invasion

I bought this a few weeks ago and it was fine until today I noticed there’re maggots all over the lid and inside the bin. It just does not seal properly.

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for A$39.90.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Bernice, very sorry to hear about this issue you are having with the bucket. Please email at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au and i will get this fixed for you.

Kathy S.asked

Hi, I recently returned my dual Bokashi bins to Bunnings as the lids were not sealing. After reading the reviews it sounds like there is a gasket in the lid to ensure an airtight seal?
Could you please confirm this as I am keen to compost as much waste as possible and these systems seem ideal.
Cheers
Kathy

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Kathy, yes there is a rubber gasket in the lid that should make it air tight. In the last production the gasket was a bit different so this caused some issues with some bins not being airtight. Our 18L Indoor Composter has a different sealing lid and we have not had any issues with that version.

Hi Ronen,
Thanks for your response. I will see if they are available online again to repurchase the two bin pack.
If it doesnt come with a seal will you be able to assist?
Cheers
Kathy

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Kathy, i suggest waiting a couple of weeks as then we will have a new seal which should be more reliable. Please email me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au in a couple of weeks and i will confirm if we have it.

Fletch

Fletchasked

Hi I am also having trouble with the Maze system I was given for Christmas. Like the other reviews I read I ended up with a bin full of maggots and one day on opening my bin a group of flies escaped into my kitchen. I have only been opening my bin once a day and doing 2-3 sprays a time. It was a very unpleasant experience with the flies escaping and having to clean all the maggots out of the bin. The odor was also very unpleasant making me feel quite ill. Any advice or help would be great as I really want to be able to use this system effectively

Bronwen D.
Bronwen D.

It is definitely a seal issue. I weighed down the lid with a heavy pot and the maggots died overnight. Maze have offered to send me replacement lids. See if they will help you too if you reach out. In the meantime you can keep on composting if the lid is kept down with a weight.

Dinan

Dinanasked

I have filled my indoor 12L and am using my 2nd indoor composter. I was draining the liquid from my full bin just checked the top one is full of mould. Is it normal or not? Also once it was full I stopped spraying. Plz help

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Dinan, Mould is not a problem especially if it is white or grey. You can stop spraying but please make sure to keep draining the liquid.

Get an answer from our members and Maze representatives