Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter

Listing monitored by Maze

7 questions from our users

Winnie
Winnie asked

I bought two maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composters from Bunnings in July 2020 and had problem with the seal not being air tight and flies managed to get in and breed. As a result, I couldn't do any compost since then.

Provided it is a fundamental product quality issue, can I get a refund for the products or you can offer any alternate solutions?

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Winnie, sorry to hear about this. You can certainly get a refund for it or you can try our new 14L version or the 18L. I will send you an email as well to confirm.

hunbasked

Hi i have an 18 litre bokashi system. The lid seals great. But even though there is plenty of liquid nothing drains out the tap. This liquid then causes a really bad smell. Not sure if something is somehow blocking tap but has happened in the first and second bucket

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, can i ask how you know that there is a lot of liquid? I assume the strainer is still at the bottom of the bucket? Please feel free to email at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au. Ronen

hunb

Yes the strainer is at the bottom. I know there is a lot of liquid because when I emptied it into my tumbling composter I had to manually drain the liquid first (holding the compost in and tipping the bucket upside down.) When I emptied the compost and inspected the tap and it did not appear blocked??

Ronen M.Maze

did you try and test the tap with water to see if it works? It sounds very usual. Happy to send you a new tap if you think it will help.

Kathy S.asked

Hi, I recently returned my dual Bokashi bins to Bunnings as the lids were not sealing. After reading the reviews it sounds like there is a gasket in the lid to ensure an airtight seal?
Could you please confirm this as I am keen to compost as much waste as possible and these systems seem ideal.
Cheers
Kathy

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Kathy, yes there is a rubber gasket in the lid that should make it air tight. In the last production the gasket was a bit different so this caused some issues with some bins not being airtight. Our 18L Indoor Composter has a different sealing lid and we have not had any issues with that version.

Hi Ronen,
Thanks for your response. I will see if they are available online again to repurchase the two bin pack.
If it doesnt come with a seal will you be able to assist?
Cheers
Kathy

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Kathy, i suggest waiting a couple of weeks as then we will have a new seal which should be more reliable. Please email me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au in a couple of weeks and i will confirm if we have it.

Fletch
Fletchasked

Hi I am also having trouble with the Maze system I was given for Christmas. Like the other reviews I read I ended up with a bin full of maggots and one day on opening my bin a group of flies escaped into my kitchen. I have only been opening my bin once a day and doing 2-3 sprays a time. It was a very unpleasant experience with the flies escaping and having to clean all the maggots out of the bin. The odor was also very unpleasant making me feel quite ill. Any advice or help would be great as I really want to be able to use this system effectively

Bronwen D.
Bronwen D.

It is definitely a seal issue. I weighed down the lid with a heavy pot and the maggots died overnight. Maze have offered to send me replacement lids. See if they will help you too if you reach out. In the meantime you can keep on composting if the lid is kept down with a weight.

Dinan
Dinanasked

I have filled my indoor 12L and am using my 2nd indoor composter. I was draining the liquid from my full bin just checked the top one is full of mould. Is it normal or not? Also once it was full I stopped spraying. Plz help

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Dinan, Mould is not a problem especially if it is white or grey. You can stop spraying but please make sure to keep draining the liquid.

Nuket
Nuketasked

I'm going to buy 18L Meze Bokashi I read all the commend I am a member of product reviews. I trust you. I know if I have any difficulty you going to helping me.
I have one questions am I buy liquid one or the compos one?

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Nuket, we will certainly help you when using the product or if you have any issues. the 18L is sold with the liquid inside the box already. If you prefer to buy it with the grains you can call our office (03) 9544 6999 and we can arrange that as well.

debplowmanasked

I am 3 weeks into using mine and the smell has become rancid. I am only putting vegetable and fruit scraps in it, not even any bread or anything. I empty the liquid twice a day and it 's so bad it makes me want to vomit. It was fine for 2 weeks but now it's terrible. I make sure to spray the contents each time and the lid is closed very quickly and tightly afterwards and I push down the scraps regularly. What is going wrong?

debplowman

I should add actually that I have the 18L one with the tap, not the 12L one.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, sorry to hear about your bad experience. We will try to make it better. Are you draining the liquid from the tap often? It may be that the Bokashi spray does not have enough microbes. You can try to spray a lot more (10 sprays at least each day). If that does not work we can send you a new spray bottle or maybe the Bokashi grains to try that out. Keep in mind that it may never smell great but should not smell like rotting food or anything too objectionable.

debplowman

Yes I spray it a lot, not the 2 or 3 sprays it advises, more like 8 each time.
It was ok to start with but has got progressively worse and now it’s really appalling, like rank water from a vase of flowers after a week, but worse! I drain the liquid every day, often morning and night. I get 1-2.5 of the little scoops that came with it full every day.

Get an answer from our members and Maze representatives

Other Compost Bins