Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter

Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter (page 2 of 4)

See the Best Compost Bins in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Maze

Breeding maggots :(

I purchased the 18lt bin form Bunnings several weeks ago and after a week opened the lid and noticed the bin is full of maggots. I really wish I would have seen the reviews before purchase. I've followed the instructions perfectly but still full of maggots. Very disappointed that the lid doesn't seal properly and the product isn't functional.

Purchased in January 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $59.00.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Hannah, can you please contact me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au as i am keen to find out more info and help you fix this problem to your satisfaction.

Maggots!!

Similar to other reviews, thousands of maggots fill my compost bin and it was very disgusting. They eventually got out of the bin and started flying all over in my kitchen and bathroom. I was excited about composting but I am quite disappointed.

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, sorry to hear about this issue with the bins. I'm sure we have help you find a good solution to let you continue composting. Please contact me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au and we can help resolve this issue.

Disappointed
DisappointedSouth East Queensland, QLD

Very Disappointed

I was so disappointed when I discovered that instead of composting my food scraps I was in fact breeding maggots. The lid on this bin does not seal thus making it useless for a bokashi composting. We tried so many times to adjust it and make it seal and yet to no avail, there is definately a flaw.

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $68.00.

Ningnong
NingnongMidge point

Not a tight seal

I have been trying to get these lids to seal ,but the beer fly and flys are still managing to get in. I was so disappointed, as I thought at last a mini composting system without the smell.
I purchased online and I told them the problem and they have replaced them but it's still the same problem the lid buckles at the mid section and allows a gap. I put a 5 litre water jug on top and that sorted it out but that's not the point it should seal like your literature reads.

Purchased in January 2020 for $89.00.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, sorry to hear about this issue with the bins. Please contact me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au and we can help resolve this issue. If this system is not working for you we can look at a refund or replacement for a different system.

Adrian S.
Adrian S.South East Queensland, QLD

Excitement turned to disgust

After fermenting the first bin for three weeks, we went to dig the results into the vegetable patch. Unfortunately when opening it the entire contents seemed to be a mass of writhing large maggots!!! Not the best result, and now we have to deal with the second bin. I'll be taking them back to Bunnings as they are not fit for purpose.

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Adrian, sorry to hear about this issue with the bins. Please contact me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au and we can help resolve this issue.

LMP
LMPGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

12L Bokashi Bin Leaking

The bin is leaking from the tap seal all over the bench & I can't tighten it. I have the 18L bin which is great. Not this one. Will try the Urban Composter and give it a go.

Purchased for $44.00.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, sorry to hear about your problem. We can help you find a solution that will work for you. Please contact me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au and we can send you a new bin.

Bokashi 12L bin fail

Left my bin to complete its three week fermentation/composting process and opened the lid today to find it FILLED with hundreds of maggots. Seriously disgusting. Very unhappy with this. The back part of the lid doesn’t close properly so is letting in air and allowing flies to get in. Also have a second bin going that was purchased a few days ago from Bunnings and it’s lid is the same.

Purchased in January 2020 for $40.00.

Shane
ShanePerth, WA

A good idea but a crappy product

Lids aren't strong enough and bend so they don't seal. Have used new replacement lids, same result maggots, flying insects. Product was damaged when first brought 3 months to replace, now still can't use it. Have 6 lids due to the stuff around and have tried them all, seals in place and they are all as bad as the next. Please buy a different brand if buying one, good idea just crappy product

Maggots and flies galore

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Victor L.

Thanks Ronen, I appreciate your prompt reply. I will send you an email.

Victor L.

Hello Ronen, I have sent you my email. Have you received it? Please tell me how to proceed.

Maggot invasion

I bought this a few weeks ago and it was fine until today I noticed there’re maggots all over the lid and inside the bin. It just does not seal properly.

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.90.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Bernice, very sorry to hear about this issue you are having with the bucket. Please email at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au and i will get this fixed for you.

kristin
kristinSouthwest, VIC

Maggots

I bought this 2 weeks ago and today I noticed it had maggots all over the inside of the lid.
It sits on my bench where I prep food so that is disgusting.
Thought it would be a fantastic product but now it's currently outside until I can stomach dealing with it.
The lid was covered in maggots but since I opened it, they fell into the bin so only a few in the pics

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.95.

Fish
FishSouth East Queensland, QLD

The system seems ok but the 12L bins do not work properly

We purchased 2 x 12L Bokashi bins from Bunnings in December 2019 and we are on our 3rd load. The first two loads have a large volume of maggots present. We have been very careful to not let flies near when filling the bins, so we believe the lids are too flimsy and do not seal properly. We have increased the Bokashi spray to try and improve things but it is not stopping the flies laying eggs in the bins. The system looks good but the bins in this case do not seem to seal properly. We are very disappointed to say the least. Can any one help?

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $80.00.

Fletch
FletchGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Problems

I am having similar problems to the reviews above with my bin becoming full of maggots and having flies escape into my house when putting more produce in. It is very disappointing as I am really committed to using a product like this to help with improving my waste management.

Purchased in December 2019 for $50.00.

Ronen M.Maze

Either FAULTY batch or bad quality product - did not seal

Purchased in January 2020.

Not remotely airtight

Bought a set of two from Bunnings. After two weeks I noticed that there were fruit flies. Tonight I was disgusted to see fly maggots as well. While I know flies can lay eggs on food before it goes in I realised with horror that it wasn’t a sealed system when some maggots (1cm long) crawled out from under the lid which was clicked closed. This system doesn’t work if things can crawl under the lid!
I checked the bokashi bucket second lid and noticed it also has a warp in the plastic that prevents it closing tightly along the side edges. At least the tap didn’t leak!
I only open it once a day and spray 6-10 squirts of the bokashi bacteria. I also drain the liquid once a day. It smells pretty awful.

Purchased in January 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $69.00.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Bronwen, sorry to hear about this issue you are having. If you would like to email me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au with your address details we will make sure to fix this issue so you can use it without maggots inside.

Bronwen D.

Thank you for your quick reply. I have emailed you my details.

Terrible

Terrible! It’s not airtight and like the other reviews (which I wish I read before buying) I am now breeding fruit flys by the millions. I can watch them crawl in and out and every time I open it I’m faced with hundreds of maggots. So disappointed.

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.00.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Monique, sorry to hear about the unit not working well. If you would like to email me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au with your address details we can make sure we send the parts to you to make sure it seals properly.

Courtenay H.Perth, WA

Disappointed - lid won’t seal

I’m on to my second faulty bin which wont seal. Started fine but after two weeks, the liquid from the bottom smelt awful, the kitchen started to reek and the flies and cockroaches were starting to breed inside the bin. Despite spraying extra bokashi, nothing changed. I got a return exchange from bunnings but the second isn’t air tight either so I haven’t bothered to start it. Attempted to email Maze with no response. Would be very excited to use this product otherwise if it wasn’t so Very disappointing.

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.90.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Courtenay, sorry for the delayed response but i believe you also received an email last week addressing these issues. Hopefully we will find a solution with the parts sent out to you. Please feel free to respond to the email from Maze.

Courtenay H.

Thank you Ronen. Yes I’ve been very happy with the response since then and I am eagerly awaiting the replacement bin.

Two bins is the perfect size

Have been using the bokashi system from Maze for a month now and the two bins is the perfect size. Instructions provided are very clear and so far the spray appears to be working perfectly. Using it has drastically reduced the rubbish we put in the red bins. Currently waiting for the first bin to do its work for a couple of weeks and looking forward to burying the food waste in the garden when its done.

Tarik
TarikSydney, NSW

The material looks solid and durable. No smelly or liquid leaks

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.90.

Rachael
RachaelNorthern Region, NSW

I find the compost bin Amazing

I find the compost bin amazing I have had it for a couple of weeks now and have gotten some great liquid fertiliser out of it. It saves me going down to my large outdoor compost bin each day. It breaks down the food scraps and leaves no smell in my house. I highly recommend this product to anyone.

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $68.00.

Instructions which were easy to follow.

We recently purchased a twin indoor compost bin and then followed up with purchasing an outside 245L Tumbler to support our endeavours to become more environmentally aware.

We appreciated receiving the instructions which were easy to follow.

Filled the first bin in four days and well on our way to making our own compost.

Thanks for helping us bridge the gap between wannabee’s and actual adopters of better recycling in the home.

Ruth31
Ruth31MELBOURNE

A great price and size compared to other systems.

The Maze Bokashi system so far seems great- the construction is sturdy, although the lid does require a bit of a push to close properly. I haven’t yet filled it all the way and left it to ferment but presuming the spray does it job in this regard. A great price and size compared to other systems.

Biddy
BiddySydney, NSW

Maggot Hotel!

I’m so disappointed with this product. I bought it online a few weeks ago via Bunnings and it’s already totally maggot infested. I’ve followed the instructions to a t and used the spray every time I put food scraps in, but it’s just beyond gross. And although the lid ‘clicks’ each time I close it, it’s definitely not airtight as I can actually see flies getting in and out around the rim.

I’ve just read some of the below reviews (which I wish I’d read before buying) and see that this is a recurring problem. So can you please contact me to try to arrange a solution? I really don’t want to give up on composting already. Thanks.

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, we can certainly help to resolve this issue for you. Please contact me at rmazor@mazedistribution.com.au.

Olme
OlmeGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Flies and maggots

After having it for couple of weeks, bin started to have maggots and flies in it. We are extremely cautions, leave food in a bowl and bin it once a day, minimise opening and closing. The tap also leaked so i ended up having juice on my bench. It just doesnt seal properly. Just realised a lot of people had same issue as i do. I wished i read this much earlier.

Purchased for $68.00.

Pei Yu
Pei YuPerth, WA

Maggots galore

Purchased in December 2020 for $39.00.