Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter

Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter

See the Best Compost Bins in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Maze

Mitch
MitchCaringbah

Good, not great

For almost 2 years, I've been using two of these bins (and the 18L version, which doesn't have a good lid at all). While they aren't perfect, I must say that have not experienced the amount of maggots that some reviewers have (touch wood) and the bin/s have done a fair job so far.

It lives in our kitchen on the floor and away from any sunlight/warmth. But, maybe we fill the bin up quickly enough? The bin does live in our garage once it's full, away from sunlight - so I'm not sure if that is a determining factor.

Purchased in February 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $79.99.

Got bokashi and some fruit flys

Bought a bokashi bin from bunnings about a month ago. Been following instructions how to use it but it never mentioned that it can't seal. When I opened it was full of maggots. Shame I like the 18l bin

Purchased in October 2020 for $39.99.

Spencer D.
Spencer D.

Hi Ronen
Thanks for your reply.
I recieved a new lid from your nz supplier but I haven't used it yet. There does still seem to be a gap between the lid and base though.

T Miller
T Miller

Poor quality and seal degradation

Initially looked forward to the concept and the product however only a few months into ownership the closing seal and the seal near the tap failed.

The bin also smells and generates a lot of maggots and worms. Not what we were after.

Have edited my review due to the very prompt response by the Maze representative. Will try the new one when it arrives. Keen on the concept.

Thankyou.

Purchased in January 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $80.00.

Rancid with flies

Today I buried my first batch - it had flies and smelt putrid. I added vegetable and fruit matter, kept the lid closed, sprayed at the end of each day but lid wasn't airtight and sealed poorly

Purchased in March 2020 at eBay.

Sofie pham
Sofie phamSydney, NSW

Bad experience

I just have the new 12l maze bokashi from bunning for few weeks ,so excited at first to try new methods of composting, but then this product give me bad experience. I have try any way but the lid seem not seal properly, fruit fly and mag everywhere. Feel terrible hope i did read all the reviews before .

Purchased in April 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.99.

Fish
FishSouth East Queensland, QLD

The system seems ok but the 12L bins do not work properly

We purchased 2 x 12L Bokashi bins from Bunnings in December 2019 and we are on our 3rd load. The first two loads have a large volume of maggots present. We have been very careful to not let flies near when filling the bins, so we believe the lids are too flimsy and do not seal properly. We have increased the Bokashi spray to try and improve things but it is not stopping the flies laying eggs in the bins. The system looks good but the bins in this case do not seem to seal properly. We are very disappointed to say the least. Can any one help?

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $80.00.

Fletch
FletchGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Problems

I am having similar problems to the reviews above with my bin becoming full of maggots and having flies escape into my house when putting more produce in. It is very disappointing as I am really committed to using a product like this to help with improving my waste management.

Purchased in December 2019 for $50.00.

Not remotely airtight

Bought a set of two from Bunnings. After two weeks I noticed that there were fruit flies. Tonight I was disgusted to see fly maggots as well. While I know flies can lay eggs on food before it goes in I realised with horror that it wasn’t a sealed system when some maggots (1cm long) crawled out from under the lid which was clicked closed. This system doesn’t work if things can crawl under the lid!
I checked the bokashi bucket second lid and noticed it also has a warp in the plastic that prevents it closing tightly along the side edges. At least the tap didn’t leak!
I only open it once a day and spray 6-10 squirts of the bokashi bacteria. I also drain the liquid once a day. It smells pretty awful.

Purchased in January 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $69.00.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Bronwen, sorry to hear about this issue you are having. If you would like to email me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au with your address details we will make sure to fix this issue so you can use it without maggots inside.

Bronwen D.

Thank you for your quick reply. I have emailed you my details.

Courtenay H.Perth, WA

Disappointed - lid won’t seal

I’m on to my second faulty bin which wont seal. Started fine but after two weeks, the liquid from the bottom smelt awful, the kitchen started to reek and the flies and cockroaches were starting to breed inside the bin. Despite spraying extra bokashi, nothing changed. I got a return exchange from bunnings but the second isn’t air tight either so I haven’t bothered to start it. Attempted to email Maze with no response. Would be very excited to use this product otherwise if it wasn’t so Very disappointing.

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.90.

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Courtenay, sorry for the delayed response but i believe you also received an email last week addressing these issues. Hopefully we will find a solution with the parts sent out to you. Please feel free to respond to the email from Maze.

Courtenay H.

Thank you Ronen. Yes I’ve been very happy with the response since then and I am eagerly awaiting the replacement bin.

Pei Yu
Pei YuPerth, WA

Maggots galore

Purchased in December 2020 for $39.00.

Maggots!

Both the bins we have bought have maggots....a lot of them. The lids simply don't seal properly. I have emailed the company using the address on this forum so I hope I get a quick resolution as hubby and I have a compost disagreement and I'd really like to persist! The actual compost breaks down really fast and otherwise happy, just can't continue with maggots in the kitchen.

Purchased in November 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.00.

Christina R.
Christina R.South East Queensland, QLD

Not airtight

I bought 2 set from Bunnings. I have trialed it on both in the set and have ended up with fruit fly larva each time, despite making sure the lids are closed and even placing a brick on top. These lids are not airtight - I will have to look at other options.

Purchased in March 2019 for $62.00.

Joe
JoeSydney, NSW

Fruit fly maggots in lid

Purchased in September 2019 for $80.00.

Jenny A.South East Queensland, QLD

Leaks, from both ends

We bought the twin pack from Bunnings about 6 months ago. The first issue we noticed was the leaking from the tap. We used silicone to fix that. The second issue has been maggots. We thought it was us, but we have been careful with following the rules and the only thing I can think is that the units are not airtight. The maggots are not dying off after a few days as they should. Is it really this hard to Bokashi?

Purchased in May 2019 at Bunnings for $80.00.

Jenny A.

Thanks for your reply Ronan, I've emailed you.

Jacka H.
Jacka H.Canberra 2600, ACT

Maggots and fruit flies

Bought my first Maze bokashi bin from Bunnings and after letting it sit for its 2 week ferment, opened it up to a small swarm of fruit flies and maggots scurrying away. While smell doesn't eminate from the bin, I'm assuming it isn't airtight as it should be as oxygen can clearly enter. Have started filling up another bin from a different brand with no problems so far..

Purchased at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.95.

Winnie
Winnie asked

I bought two maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composters from Bunnings in July 2020 and had problem with the seal not being air tight and flies managed to get in and breed. As a result, I couldn't do any compost since then.

Provided it is a fundamental product quality issue, can I get a refund for the products or you can offer any alternate solutions?

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Winnie, sorry to hear about this. You can certainly get a refund for it or you can try our new 14L version or the 18L. I will send you an email as well to confirm.

hunbasked

Hi i have an 18 litre bokashi system. The lid seals great. But even though there is plenty of liquid nothing drains out the tap. This liquid then causes a really bad smell. Not sure if something is somehow blocking tap but has happened in the first and second bucket

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, can i ask how you know that there is a lot of liquid? I assume the strainer is still at the bottom of the bucket? Please feel free to email at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au. Ronen

hunb

Yes the strainer is at the bottom. I know there is a lot of liquid because when I emptied it into my tumbling composter I had to manually drain the liquid first (holding the compost in and tipping the bucket upside down.) When I emptied the compost and inspected the tap and it did not appear blocked??

Ronen M.Maze

did you try and test the tap with water to see if it works? It sounds very usual. Happy to send you a new tap if you think it will help.

Kathy S.asked

Hi, I recently returned my dual Bokashi bins to Bunnings as the lids were not sealing. After reading the reviews it sounds like there is a gasket in the lid to ensure an airtight seal?
Could you please confirm this as I am keen to compost as much waste as possible and these systems seem ideal.
Cheers
Kathy

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Kathy, yes there is a rubber gasket in the lid that should make it air tight. In the last production the gasket was a bit different so this caused some issues with some bins not being airtight. Our 18L Indoor Composter has a different sealing lid and we have not had any issues with that version.

Hi Ronen,
Thanks for your response. I will see if they are available online again to repurchase the two bin pack.
If it doesnt come with a seal will you be able to assist?
Cheers
Kathy

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Kathy, i suggest waiting a couple of weeks as then we will have a new seal which should be more reliable. Please email me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au in a couple of weeks and i will confirm if we have it.

See all Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter questions

Get an answer from our members and Maze representatives