Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter

Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter

See the Best Compost Bins in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Maze

Mitch
MitchCaringbah

Good, not great

For almost 2 years, I've been using two of these bins (and the 18L version, which doesn't have a good lid at all). While they aren't perfect, I must say that have not experienced the amount of maggots that some reviewers have (touch wood) and the bin/s have done a fair job so far.

It lives in our kitchen on the floor and away from any sunlight/warmth. But, maybe we fill the bin up quickly enough? The bin does live in our garage once it's full, away from sunlight - so I'm not sure if that is a determining factor.

Purchased in February 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $79.99.

T Miller
T Miller

Poor quality and seal degradation

Initially looked forward to the concept and the product however only a few months into ownership the closing seal and the seal near the tap failed.

The bin also smells and generates a lot of maggots and worms. Not what we were after.

Have edited my review due to the very prompt response by the Maze representative. Will try the new one when it arrives. Keen on the concept.

Thankyou.

Purchased in January 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $80.00.

THU
THUSouth East Queensland, QLD

Highly recommended. 5/5

Review:
The Bokashi indoor system is great for unit living. In fact I have bought two one to keep composting and the other to start new compost. It is simple to use and I keep mine out on my balcony in the shade. There is little smell and emptying the liquid is easy with the tap. Highly recommended. 5/5

Purchased in March 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.90.

MaM
MaMIllawarra, NSW

Product Rating: 5 out of 5

The Bokashi bin is an awesome composting bin. So simple, no smell and so productive. Cut your fruit and vegetables, straight into the Bokashi bin. Place food scraps in, spray and your done! Everything is so clean and no mess. The liquid fertiliser that is produced is so healthy for my garden and the compost is also amazing. One of the easiest composting methods ever.
Well Done Maze. I will be spreading the news about the simplicity and environmentally friendliness of this bin. My plants are so happy after only one dose. Green, bright and so healthy.Thank you Maze. I am your no.1 ambassador. Do yourself a favour and pick one up soon.

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.90.

Fish
FishSouth East Queensland, QLD

The system seems ok but the 12L bins do not work properly

We purchased 2 x 12L Bokashi bins from Bunnings in December 2019 and we are on our 3rd load. The first two loads have a large volume of maggots present. We have been very careful to not let flies near when filling the bins, so we believe the lids are too flimsy and do not seal properly. We have increased the Bokashi spray to try and improve things but it is not stopping the flies laying eggs in the bins. The system looks good but the bins in this case do not seem to seal properly. We are very disappointed to say the least. Can any one help?

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $80.00.

Two bins is the perfect size

Have been using the bokashi system from Maze for a month now and the two bins is the perfect size. Instructions provided are very clear and so far the spray appears to be working perfectly. Using it has drastically reduced the rubbish we put in the red bins. Currently waiting for the first bin to do its work for a couple of weeks and looking forward to burying the food waste in the garden when its done.

Rachael
RachaelNorthern Region, NSW

I find the compost bin Amazing

I find the compost bin amazing I have had it for a couple of weeks now and have gotten some great liquid fertiliser out of it. It saves me going down to my large outdoor compost bin each day. It breaks down the food scraps and leaves no smell in my house. I highly recommend this product to anyone.

Purchased in December 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $68.00.

Instructions which were easy to follow.

We recently purchased a twin indoor compost bin and then followed up with purchasing an outside 245L Tumbler to support our endeavours to become more environmentally aware.

We appreciated receiving the instructions which were easy to follow.

Filled the first bin in four days and well on our way to making our own compost.

Thanks for helping us bridge the gap between wannabee’s and actual adopters of better recycling in the home.

Ruth31
Ruth31MELBOURNE

A great price and size compared to other systems.

The Maze Bokashi system so far seems great- the construction is sturdy, although the lid does require a bit of a push to close properly. I haven’t yet filled it all the way and left it to ferment but presuming the spray does it job in this regard. A great price and size compared to other systems.

Maggots!

Both the bins we have bought have maggots....a lot of them. The lids simply don't seal properly. I have emailed the company using the address on this forum so I hope I get a quick resolution as hubby and I have a compost disagreement and I'd really like to persist! The actual compost breaks down really fast and otherwise happy, just can't continue with maggots in the kitchen.

Purchased in November 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.00.

Mel Habjan
Mel HabjanSydney, NSW

Rating: 5/5

Joe
JoeSydney, NSW

Fruit fly maggots in lid

Purchased in September 2019 for $80.00.

Find out how Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter compares to other Compost Bins

Rating 5/5- have absolutely loved the system and products.

Rating 5/5- have absolutely loved the system and products. Was a recommendation to me in which I have paid it forward. Would Highly Recommend to anyone wanting a great easy to use system.

Purchased in August 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.95.

I rate this product 5 out of 5.

I am writing to review my recent purchase of the Bokashi Indoor Composting System.
I have enjoyed this product so much that I have purchased a 2nd bin to have on rotation and have also put 2 of my work colleagues onto the system as well and would recommend it to anyone, I rate this product 5 out of 5.

Purchased in August 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $39.95.

Jlaw1968
Jlaw1968Melbourne

Great Composting System

The great thing about this compost bin is that its aesthetically nice to have on your bench top and doesn't take up too much room. It's a good sturdy design and easy to assemble with a valve to remove the excess moisture that can get built up and a paddle to compact the waste down to make room for more. I really like the fact that this bokashi system means i can add cooked foods and meat and dairy - meaning minimal food wastage! Super happy with my purchase!

Purchased in August 2019 at Bunnings for $30.00.

Winnie
Winnie asked

I bought two maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composters from Bunnings in July 2020 and had problem with the seal not being air tight and flies managed to get in and breed. As a result, I couldn't do any compost since then.

Provided it is a fundamental product quality issue, can I get a refund for the products or you can offer any alternate solutions?

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Winnie, sorry to hear about this. You can certainly get a refund for it or you can try our new 14L version or the 18L. I will send you an email as well to confirm.

hunbasked

Hi i have an 18 litre bokashi system. The lid seals great. But even though there is plenty of liquid nothing drains out the tap. This liquid then causes a really bad smell. Not sure if something is somehow blocking tap but has happened in the first and second bucket

Ronen M.Maze

Hi, can i ask how you know that there is a lot of liquid? I assume the strainer is still at the bottom of the bucket? Please feel free to email at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au. Ronen

hunb

Yes the strainer is at the bottom. I know there is a lot of liquid because when I emptied it into my tumbling composter I had to manually drain the liquid first (holding the compost in and tipping the bucket upside down.) When I emptied the compost and inspected the tap and it did not appear blocked??

Ronen M.Maze

did you try and test the tap with water to see if it works? It sounds very usual. Happy to send you a new tap if you think it will help.

Kathy S.asked

Hi, I recently returned my dual Bokashi bins to Bunnings as the lids were not sealing. After reading the reviews it sounds like there is a gasket in the lid to ensure an airtight seal?
Could you please confirm this as I am keen to compost as much waste as possible and these systems seem ideal.
Cheers
Kathy

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Kathy, yes there is a rubber gasket in the lid that should make it air tight. In the last production the gasket was a bit different so this caused some issues with some bins not being airtight. Our 18L Indoor Composter has a different sealing lid and we have not had any issues with that version.

Hi Ronen,
Thanks for your response. I will see if they are available online again to repurchase the two bin pack.
If it doesnt come with a seal will you be able to assist?
Cheers
Kathy

Ronen M.Maze

Hi Kathy, i suggest waiting a couple of weeks as then we will have a new seal which should be more reliable. Please email me at rmazor@mazeproducts.com.au in a couple of weeks and i will confirm if we have it.

See all Maze 12L Bokashi Indoor Composter questions

Get an answer from our members and Maze representatives