McDonald Jones Homes Questions & Answers

NSW, ACT, Fyshwick

156 questions from our users

sanjeev d.asked

Dear All,
My internal colour selection ended up with upgraded cost of 50k. I’m still recovering from some surprises that I really don’t intend to discuss. In a weeks time, I have appointment for electricals.
My question is, is it worth getting all the downlights from them or it’s wise to get it done later. Would there be a significant difference?

Prajeev Divya
Prajeev Divya

Did you get the $60K discount bonus from MJH? If so, that will be a nice deal.
During Electrical selection, aircon zone selection will be a good amount. Better to go for standard light fittings and LED upgrades after handover. Builder charge you minimum 20% extra for each item.

Mani
Mani

it looks likes you have upgraded a lot tiles etc.Yes aircon zones is a must upgrade. I got eight zones upgrade. Regarding led they have led packages like get 20 and it is cheaper. When i did my electric plan I added too much leds but lady at the appointment helped me to fix it. If your house is a single storey than it could be cheaper to do it after hand over but not that much, do check how much a Clipsel led will cost you including install. I also got wiring done for fans to install fans later (remember if you do this get one switch for light one switch for fan and a dimmer).
For outdoor I didn’t use led, normal holders. With switches you can get 5 or six in one point with no extra, try to get one extra. Also look into two way switch and some dimmable. I was told make an electrical provision of $7k but ended up $14k but did everything with them.

Thanks for your feedback

JastonAasked

McDonald Jones Homes

Hi, me and my wife are going through purchasing our first home and have agreed to a house and land package in Wilton Greens with McDonald Jones. Our build contract has been signed (15th September 2020) as well as our land contract. The land was suppose to register in December 2021 and now having spoken to the Wilton greens people they have advised it will be March 2022 which sucks tbh. So when doing the tender process and signing off on it, we were told to think about adding 6months onto the tender via variation as when it expires, I’m not sure what happens. What happens in this case? Our tender is from the 15th of Sep and the additional 6months which cost $6000???, will take us till the 15th of March 2022.

Question 1 - McDonald Jones have put their packages out for purchase and as we have agreed to go ahead, why does this fall on us to add time (6 months) onto the tender period for $6000 so it doesn’t expire and not just an amount to lock it in as it isn’t our fault but the land providers/council who is working the job having delays and what not. They should get charged not us tbh

Question 2 - What happens if the land doesn’t register by the expiration date of our tender contract?

Question 3 - buying property at the moment is so competitive with so many great deals. If we have agreed to a deal with McDonald Jones, if another deal comes after with you guys like the $60,000 which is on at the moment, can we access this if we are still far away from building?

This is our first time purchasing a home and new to the process so I hope I’m not out of line for asking these questions.

Thank you and much appreciated.

Customer C.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi JastonA, thank you for your questions. We will liaise with our team and respond back to you with answers to your questions shortly. Many thanks

Daka
Daka

If the land is owned by McDonald Jones you are screwed but if you exchanged on the land with the developer cancel your contract with meh lose the $5000 start over with another builder or better idea go to another mcjones office and start again and get the 60K off deal

JastonA

I’m not screwed or in any way disappointed with the deal I’ve got with McDonald Jones. But I wanted to know if there was any way to get this new deal or anything added to my current deal. There is no harm in checking and asking the question. Thanks for the reply.

Arun

Arun asked

Hi there,
Just wondering, we had exchanged contracts for the house at Marsden Park, almost 6 weeks ago. We had been visiting the site for the last 4 weeks but there had been no work done.
Is there a reason why the work is on halt. It would be wiser to complete the work sooner than later so I can get the valuation done for loan purposes.
Please get back to me.
Arun
0452 422 408

Hi Arun,

Has the land been registered? If so, we've been told that the average timeframe for pre construction (getting all the approval needed, testing the soil etc) is 3 - 5 months. Then the construction takes about 6 months. So altogether we're looking around 11 months.

Thanks,

Customer C.McDonald Jones Homes

HI Arun, thank you for your question. Could you please give us your job number so we can have a member of the team investigate and contact you with more information. Thank you

Kpil

Kpilasked

McDonald Jones Homes

Can I please get a hold of the manager for your willowdale Leppington office? Sales agent has no sense of urgency and we’re not getting anywhere. We paid a deposit and the customer service has been unsatisfactory

Customer C.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Kpil, thank you for the question. Could you please give us your contact details and we will have a manager contact you. Alternatively, we invite you to email us at customerfeedback@mcdonaldjones.com.au with your concerns and contact details so we can action immediately for you. Thanks

Sanjay

Sanjayasked

NSW

Job no 605778
Your MJH contractors are not complete the work at my house. Already above three month pass after PCI and above 2 month pass after Handover but contractor coming and going . Not fixing the issue properly.

1. New rangehood replacement done but still not fix the issues. New wrangehood is more noisy than old one and same alignment issue and no grill provided on top of the rangehood. Kitchen contractor blaming Electrician and Electrician blamming Kitchen. No one giving proper solution for this issue. Kitchen guy said the rangehood quality is not good and Electrician said kitchen alignment not good. Who is the right?
2. After one month of chase up with door guy, They came today and replaced the frame but Afresco door is still making noise. I don't know when you fix the issue. Three month passed after PCI but problem is as it is.
3.Driveway guy giving false commitement every time and not come till date at site. Now he saying coming next Friday. Let's see what happens?
4. Main door entry timber post has still quality issue and it look ugly when enter the house. Need to change your fasade design.

Is there any responsible person in your company who control the contractor and chase with them and solve the customer issue.

Looking for your help to complete my house work.

It's really poor service by your MJH contractors.

Please update who is responsible person in your company who take prompt action on customer issue

Customer C.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Sanjay, as we have communicated with you previously - your construction manager and the service and warranty team are working with the trades and suppliers to address your concerns and action them as quickly as possible. We understand your frustration and confirm our teams and the construction manager are constantly communicating with you to confirm completion of your works.

Ian McRaeasked

McDonald Jones Homes

Is anyone else noticing the number of reviews left for MJH that appear dodgy? With OVER 60% being preconstruction reviews mentioning the same names over and over. (590/982 people have no house) Every time a bad review rears its head, a heap of preconstruction reviews appear to cover it up. If you sort by 'most liked' you'll see out of 20 reviews the word nightmare appears in 6 titles, terrible 6 times, beware twice and to mention not all, but a few more, defects, disappointed and awful.
A question for MJH here.. Do you pay employees monetary incentives to source positive preconstruction reviews?

Bro all I can say is so far the guys have been great. It’s been a rubbish thing with banks for us. And it was nice to have something go smoothly.

McDonald J.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Ian, thank you for raising this question, it has come up previously and like every other company we reward our employees for their great work in various ways.

We strive to provide the best possible building experience for our customers and our teams encourage customers to let people know about their building journey, both positive and negative, if a customer experience becomes negative, we investigate it immediately to address the concerns. We also invite our customers to provide reviews about their experiences throughout their building journey via our customer surveys at every building milestone, as do most other companies.

We are more than happy to provide you with further information about this process, so please provide your details to customerfeedback@mcdonaldjones.com.au or feel free to contact Product Review also, as they manage this independent review platform and we abide by their strict guidelines. Many thanks

Hi Stockhorse Ave Camelle1,
We are so pleased to read you have had a smooth experience, we'd love to learn more about your building journey if you would like to share more with us. Many thanks

Matt clinch

Matt clinchasked

McDonald Jones Homes

Metricon have 4 bedroom homes from 199k .
Can McJones match this in TAS ?

Hi there Matt,
our cousins Wilson Homes build in Tasmania and provide a wide range of home designs at various price ranges that suit people at any stage of life and lifestyle, feel free to find out more here: https://www.wilsonhomes.com.au/
Have a great weekend!

Ian McRae

Metricons reviews seem more fair dinkum, not the 60% of preconstruction found here

Helenasked

McDonald Jones Homes

do you build granny flats? (in Coffs area?)

McDonald J.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Helen, yes we can build granny flats in Coffs Harbour area, they are built in conjunction with the main home. You can find out more here: https://www.mcdonaldjoneshomes.com.au/granny-flats
Many thanks

Stand alone? No other build

McDonald J.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Helen, confirming we only build our granny flats in conjunction with a main homes.

rachel.pais

rachel.paisasked

Hi
, we are currently in the early stages of building a new home . We are starting to get a little bit confused regarding pricing.
We have the ‘inspired luxury upgrades’ included in our building tender. Now going through that, we have discovered infromation regarding switches and sockets and TV points.
We are trying to price together our electrical needs.
In saying the above, and as trivial as it sounds since the luxury upgrades included ‘clipsal switches and sockets’ does that mean they come installed in the home?or is it just the clipsal finish? do we have to add the cost of every switch and socket to the construction cost?

Also does the construction come with sharking?

Our dream home
Our dream home

Hi, we are also in the very early stages . From my understanding you get one power point/socket/switch installed included to each room. Any additional points will be extra.
Yes I do believe sarking is included.
Hope that helps a little .

Khusnil
Khusnil

sarking is an upgrade. you have to pay for it.

Ronasked

McDonald Jones Homes

When visiting a display home at Marsden Park I was required to provide my details for covid tracing. This included my email address. Unfortunately this was used for marketing purposes which I understand is illegal.
I emailed the company representative involved and was advised that I must have inadvertently ticked the box allowing this. There is no reason why I would do so, and in any case as details are not taken during non-covid times I believe that it is wrong to take advantage of the current situation and include a marketing component to the contract tracing form.
I have requested a copy of the form I filled in, but not surprisingly they cannot provide it.
Not happy.

McDonald J.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Ron, we have investigated your concerns with the team and they have confirmed that you may have inadvertently indicated on the COVID form that you would like to receive marketing information. We note this is an option most companies include in their COVID data collection information and is not illegal, this allows a more efficient process if people would like to receive further information, so as to not require people having to enter their details twice if they would like to receive information in the future.

We can confirm we have a strict COVID data collection policy and this data is kept separately to any marketing information data collection for this purpose, and it is subsequently destroyed after a two month period. We have confirmed your details have not been kept in our emailing system or newsletter list. thank you

Ron

Confirmed that I may have seems a contradiction. Either I did or didn't. You say that most companies act in this way, but I haven't seen that option on any other covid sign-in sheet previously. Still seems to me that you are using the current situation to your advantage.

McDonald J.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Ron, no we are definitely not using this situation to our advantage, we are adhering to COVID Data and Privacy Policy requirements.

Jim and ChrisV

Jim and ChrisVasked

NSW, Oak Flats (South Coast Office)

We will be building in the South Coast area. What would be a general time frame to commence the build after the Consolidated Tender has been accepted and signed.

McDonald J.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Jim and ChrisV, congratulations on taking the step to building your new home!
There are a few steps to go through once Consolidated Tender is accepted and all your selections for finishes are completed, construction plans are drawn, engineering is completed and Basix approval is given, along with water authority approval being successful, then Council or Housing Code approval is provided. We then receive your authority to commence building from your lender, at this stage we enter your project to our construction list, order materials and instigate manufacture and start on site within 20 days.

We try to minimise this time as much as we can to assist you, please feel free to chat with your local Building and Design Consultant to find out more. kind regards

Brian

Brianasked

McDonald Jones Homes

Planning to build in Bayswood, Vincentia, NSW. I have heard the supply of quality trades people in the area is limited, resulting in a poor quality & drawn out build.
Is this the case?

Bonnie

I can only comment on the work to date in Port Macquarie area. Trades arrive on time and work hard to complete in timely manner. Quality of work so far has been excellent. Can’t fault them.

Kim

Kimasked

McDonald Jones Homes

Can somebody please tell me if the alfresco’s come as standard. As I have noticed on the information booklets it has stated optional.
I find this rather bizarre as why would you advertise as an entertainers delight when you would be stepping out onto dirt/grass and nothing but the sky above.
Shouldn’t the basic alfresco with at least a concrete slab and some sort of structure overhead be included.

McDonald J.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Kim, Most of our alfresco’s are optional and are priced separately on our price list. This allows buyers who may have a restricted budget to have the home with or without the alfresco. Some of our 2 storey homes because of the integrated alfresco design cannot offer this option and the price list does include the alfresco, hope this clarifies this for you. Let us know if you would like a Building and Design Consultant to contact you with any further questions. thanks

Angelaasked

NSW, Baulkham Hills (Sydney Office)

Do you guys ask for option to get bushfire BAL rating certificate? Or you just get it yourself and charge us later?

Shane
Shane

We Paid and had a bushfire Consulting company do our report seperate to MDJ homes. That was then submitted to council as part of the DA MDJ homes submitted. Council confirmed the rating and made the required alterations.

Angela

Did MDJ homes give you the option to get your own bushfire assessment report done?

Bonnie

MDJ organised our BAL rating. We weren’t offered to organise ourselves and to be honest, wouldn’t have known who to go to anyway so we were happy they controlled it.

Sax

Saxasked

McDonald Jones Homes

Payed deposit but then found out that what the tender is
can't be build
So Can I get a refund

McDonald J.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Sax, that's a shame, please provide us with your details via private message so we can pass them on to our team, or you can discuss this with your Building and Design Consultant. kind regards

Scott A.

Scott A.asked

Just wondering how much for a 4 bedroom 2 bath in the Hunter area wpuld cost

McDonald J.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Scott, the cost will depend on the home design and your block of land, you can view our home designs here https://www.mcdonaldjoneshomes.com.au/home-design If you would like a building and design consultant to contact you to discuss costs further please provide your contact details via private message. kind regards

Yoyoasked

McDonald Jones Homes

We built our house with McDonald Jones and received our house in 2018. Our roof and steel frame were damaged by a tree in a recent storm. We would like to know what is the best way to initiate the repair as we are still under the builder's warranty (7 years I think). What are the implications to our warranty if the repair is organised by NRMA ? We would like to engage McDonald Jones to organise the repair as McDonald Jones has all the specifications (measurement and materials) and traders' information. Could you please advise?

McDonald J.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Yoyo, we are sorry to hear your home has been damaged and we would like to assist you where we can. As you have indicated the damage was caused by a storm, so this should be covered by your insurance, depending on the level of cover you have. Our team can certainly provide you with information that you need to help with product specifications and provide advice on warranty, please contact them on 1300 552 846 or via email at serviceandwarranty@mcdonaldjones.com.au . We hope it can all be repaired for you quickly. kind regards

Yoyo

Thanks for your prompt reply. Sure, we understand that the repair costs will be covered by our home insurance. My question is : if the repair is not organised by Mcdonald Jones, will this affect our entitlement to our warranty with McDonald Jones and to what extent? Are you able to advise? e.g. Do we have to get McDonald Jones to endorse the repair plan and details to make sure Mcdonald Jones standards is complied etc to ensure there is no complication to our builder's warranty with McDonald Jones? Thank you.

McDonald J.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Yoyo, Your house insurance is specifically designed to meet this kind of damage and arrange for repairs caused by the storm. When these repair works are completed the new contractor will provide a 2 and 6 year warranty over those repaired items. We can assist with providing specifications such as paint colours that are detailed in your job information section of the contract which may be of help?

Brad C.

Brad C.asked

NSW

Anyone can give any advice re Mac Jones? We are looking at building on Central Coast. Wondering if they stick to pricing they say or sting you like some other builders? Are foreman good and do they get houses finished in a good timeframe? And office staff / design staff?

Rod B.

Rod B.asked

Hi all.
My wife and I are looking at a knockdown rebuild with MJH just just got a costing of $50000 for basix and site cost.
Block is level
This just seems excessive to us

Michelle Maltese
Michelle Maltese

we are building on a vacant block but does seem a little expensive, I would get a second opinion

McDonald J.McDonald Jones Homes

Hi Rob, if you would like to provide us with your details via private message, we can have the team contact you to discuss your concerns further. Unfortunately with Knock Down Rebuilds, there are various factors that may affect the costs including Council requirements which is related to BASIX and site requirements.

Kathy

Kathyasked

McDonald Jones Homes

Hi just wondering if anyone has had any experience in what is better to go with in Kitchen & Bathroom Cabinetry. Not sure wether to go with Polyutrethane gloss or Thermolaminate gloss for the cupboards thanks.

Get an answer from our members and McDonald Jones Homes representatives