McGrath

McGrath Questions & Answers

5 questions from our users

Nothappyasked

Our tenancy was set up as Direct Debit rental payments. Everything was fine for 3 and a half years then, “someone changed something in our system so your payments were changed from weekly to once every 4 months”
We’ve now been given a Notice to Leave for rent arrears.

Nothappy

Oh! QCAT dismissed the case due to yet another error from McGrath. McGrath Property Management has no idea how to operate. Ripping off tenants and owners alike.

PropertyNow

Looking for Real Estate Agents?

Read the reviews for PropertyNow

Ad
Pelimuffy24

Pelimuffy24asked

Why cant the agents call you in regards to viewing a place????

Phill P

Phill Pasked

Can anyone tell me if it s legal for the first two weeks rent to be held and not use as rent for the first two weeks. I am renting a flat in Queensland and McGraths have told me it is, they wrote it in the lease and I signed but believe I don’t have to follow the requirements as the 2 weeks are not a legal requirement. Please advise if you know anything about this matter.
powergo98@hotmail.com
The principal at the McGraths behaved like an absolute dictator and I wish I had never signed a lease with this office. Something is really wrong!

Andrea

Andreaasked

Hi, just wondering if anyone has had trouble getting their bond back from Ballina McGrath when you have done all the cleaning Yourself (except carpets). We moved to the area for 1 year from Townsville and was warned by many not to go through McGrath. But they really only had the places we were looking for. So really stressing that I am going to spend a week scrubbing walls and cleaning everything to be told they are taking our bond. When the house wasn't even clean when we moved in.

Leon
Leon

The best thing is to go tribunal with them. You should have photo the condition at the beginning. However that is too late so try your best to clean as much as you could or use their recommended cleaner to avoid hassle . If you want full bond back thats nearly impossible. If they take more than 1 week rent from you then definitely going tribunal with them. Normally the judge lean towards the tenant. Remember to be polite and show how reasonable you are in the court and you will win!

Blondie-ness
Blondie-ness

I agree with Leon, the Tribunal is the next step and NSW Tenancy Hotline can give advise for preparation. Normal wear and tear in a tenanted property is normal. Real Estates rely on you not taking it to the Tribunal. My experience in July 2016 was with a Sydney McGrath. I ran into the Owner, who knew nothing of what I had been through with the agent. She ended up terminating them and leasing with another agent. They lied, tried to blame me for pre-existing damage and never fixed anything I brought to their attention. I left the apartment cleaner than when I came into it. Photos don't show the marks, stains and damage clearly. Prepare your documents well and use the Tribunal to get your matter dealt with. Also have a witness to the condition of the property other than yourself. Don't let them take your bond if they are not justified.

Jocelyn
Jocelyn

I am having a similar problem with McGraths in Qld. Having rented a property for near 15 years, they want me to repaint walls in kitchen and toilet as marked and about 6 picture hook holes which were filled but not good enough according to them to repaint over also pay $400 to cut down Palm Trees I didn't plant and the list goes on. The owner often visited the property up to 11 years ago when it was with PRD (3 years) and Ray White (8 years) but McGraths told him not to do any maintenance or visit anymore as that is what the agent is for. Now when we try to claim bond back they come up with all these excuses. I have spoken to RTA many times since 1st Sept when I handed keys in after giving 3 weeks notice to vacate as rent goes up and maintenance goes down, they were to inspect house on 2nd but didn't go there until 5th. RTA said trees are owners responsibility and after this long term rental property would need repainting anyway. I have rented 10 other properties over the last 43 years and never once lost so much as $1 from my bond. This is now in dispute with RTA as agent never gave back update exit condition report and have not to date given anything in writing regarding what was being claimed (I only found out the particulars from RTA), so McGraths are in breach as they had to do this within 3 days of vacating. They also lodged in claim unpaid water bill yet this wasn't read until 6th Sept and legally have to give 30 days to pay even on final bill, the account reads to pay by 29th Sept yet in bond claim this was disputed on 21st Sept. So again they have lied.
Never again would I have any dealings with McGraths, located anywhere in Australia and I wouldn't recommend a owner or renter to go thru them if there is a choice of another agent. All the reviews here speak for themselves.
Now agent phoned me yesterday they want me to come into office to discuss this as they don't want it to go thru tribunal, well guess what, NO WAY. I have the RTA support and recommendations in this matter.
They will have to fight me for my bond and no way is the owner going to get my bond to paint his house and lop his trees when he would have to do this anyway.
Cream carpets in 45 year old house are over 20 years old perhaps as old as house, yet we got them professionally cleaned every year.
I can understand if this place was rented for 1 year, 5 years but 15 years, you cant make an old place look like new. It hadn't been cleaned when I moved in but was completely cleaned when I moved out. Back in early 2000s I didn't possess a computer and camera films were expensive to process so photos were limited unlike today where agents and renters can take 100s.
Entry condition report states walls, carpets etc badly marked and stained. Window screens needed remeshing as had holes. I rescreened every one of them prior to moving to ensure house was up to standard. Rent was paid on time or before time week after week, never late, never a breach for anything. Water was always paid on time as well, yet agents seem to look after scum renters and abuse good renters. Well guess what McGraths thank god you are no longer my agent. I love my brand new home and thank god no longer in the termite ridden 45 year old house that kept making me ill and that landlord was too stingy to get treated or do repairs.

Dazasked

Hi, has anyone else had issues with Mcgrath that was at Warners Bay?

McGrath
McGrath Estate A.McGrath

Hi Daz, I am the Office Manager of McGrath Charlestown (Formerly Warners Bay) if you would like to make contact with me at corrinewall@mcgrath.com.au or 02 4944 5600 I would be happy to discuss with any concerns or issues that you have had dealing with McGrath. Warm regards Corrine Wall.

Don B
Don B

Constantly

Bunch of grubs!

Get an answer from our members and McGrath representatives

Ad